ADVERTISEMENT

Judge declares mistrial in fatal police shooting of Walter Scott

CAJUNEER

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
This is going to be interesting. I don't know what defense the officer could possibly offer that would justify the shooting.

This is going to be interesting. I don't know what defense the officer could possibly offer that would justify the shooting.
And people can't understand why rioting occurs when this shit happens. Anyone with a pair of working eyes knows that cop is guilty of murder. Yet, he'll probably walk. Has nothing to do with race though....

He'll go down on the re-trial. Sounds like they just ended up with one complete moron on the jury.

And people can't understand why rioting occurs when this shit happens. Anyone with a pair of working eyes knows that cop is guilty of murder. Yet, he'll probably walk. Has nothing to do with race though....
I can understand a person living in WVa not getting what you're talking about. Growing up there I had no idea of how it is in the south. Living here I understand. I've heard police officers talk about "taking out the trash."

Reactions: Boomboom521
I can understand a person living in WVa not getting what you're talking about. Growing up there I had no idea of how it is in the south. Living here I understand. I've heard police officers talk about "taking out the trash."
I cringed when I heard one of your finest open his mic and say "Bobby, you are next", upon hearing JFK had been shot.

A jury saw all the evidence and was hung on the case. Kinda surprised but that is what happened I guess.

Country is hopefully right. Just a nut on the jury.
On the radio they said the jury was hung over whether to charge him with murder or manslaughter so it sounds like the prosecutor needs to try again and do a better job explaining the difference.

On the radio they said the jury was hung over whether to charge him with murder or manslaughter so it sounds like the prosecutor needs to try again and do a better job explaining the difference.
That makes a little more sense.

On Friday, one of the jurors told the judge there was one juror holdout.

Hopefully he was holding out for manslaughter and not for not guilty. Even manslaughter...how is that not murder?
Either someone is being a knucklehead or the explanation of the charge was not clear. I am guessing that someone is having a hard time calling it murder.

Either someone is being a knucklehead or the explanation of the charge was not clear. I am guessing that someone is having a hard time calling it murder.
It is not a capital murder case. Maybe someone thinks 30 to life is took long for murder. Crazy.

Some of these other cases, there were other things going on as well ... but this seemed to be about as cut and dried as you can get.

I'm guessing that the mistrial was due to what charge to convict him of.

I heard on the radio this morning that they had one hold-out juror ... even after 4 days of deliberations and being told they could use the lesser charge of manslaughter.

I am guessing that someone is having a hard time calling it murder.
Yes, someone who bought the man's story that an unarmed man running away from him was a threat, so it's OK to shoot him in the back. It's true that they struggled and the victim wrestled his Taser away. It's also true that he then dropped it and ran instead of trying to use it, and was shot multiple times in the back as he fled. It's also true that the cop picked up the Taser and put it next to the dead man in order to bolster his story of being in fear of his life. My reaction to this was that not much has changed in South Carolina in 150-plus years when it comes to race, and I wonder if the outcome will change if there's another trial.

Yes, someone who bought the man's story that an unarmed man running away from him was a threat, so it's OK to shoot him in the back. It's true that they struggled and the victim wrestled his Taser away. It's also true that he then dropped it and ran instead of trying to use it, and was shot multiple times in the back as he fled. It's also true that the cop picked up the Taser and put it next to the dead man in order to bolster his story of being in fear of his life. My reaction to this was that not much has changed in South Carolina in 150-plus years when it comes to race, and I wonder if the outcome will change if there's another trial.

Racism is still prevalent everywhere. Did you happen to see the two blacks pull the white man out of his car at an intersection who voted for Trump and beat the shit out of him? Left the black woman alone that was in the car with him. There's an element of racism in everybody.

My reaction to this was that not much has changed in South Carolina in 150-plus years when it comes to race, and I wonder if the outcome will change if there's another trial.
That's an overstatement. 150 years ago there would have been no trial, and eleven people evidently voted guilty. Still your point is well taken.

Reactions: WhiteTailEER
Racism is still prevalent everywhere. Did you happen to see the two blacks pull the white man out of his car at an intersection who voted for Trump and beat the shit out of him? Left the black woman alone that was in the car with him. There's an element of racism in everybody.

Not in me ... I have a black friend. :)

I lived there for several years, nothing much has changed. The confederate flag flew over the courthouse until 2015, really all you need to know about race relations in the state. If this doesn't help some people realize that BLM has a legitimate voice that needs to be heard, something's wrong with the way some people see the world.

I lived there for several years, nothing much has changed. The confederate flag flew over the courthouse until 2015, really all you need to know about race relations in the state. If this doesn't help some people realize that BLM has a legitimate voice that needs to be heard, something's wrong with the way some people see the world.

Are you white? I assume you are, how about you go to Harlem, inner city DC, or Chicago in the really bad parts, and you hangout. Racism is found in all races. Hopefully, there is another trial and this officer is convicted for what he did.

Are you white? I assume you are, how about you go to Harlem, inner city DC, or Chicago in the really bad parts, and you hangout. Racism is found in all races. Hopefully, there is another trial and this officer is convicted for what he did.
I'm not arguing that at all. But, THAT WAS A COP THAT SHOT A MAN IN THE BACK....A COP! AND THAT IS THE CONFEDERATE FLAG (a terrifying symbol of the desire to preserve SLAVERY) FLYING ABOVE THE COURTHOUSE! A little different when someone feels unsafe with police, and scared they can't get fair treatment in the justice system.

I'm not arguing that at all. But, THAT WAS A COP THAT SHOT A MAN IN THE BACK....A COP! AND THAT IS THE CONFEDERATE FLAG (a terrifying symbol of the desire to preserve SLAVERY) FLYING ABOVE THE COURTHOUSE! A little different when someone feels unsafe with police, and scared they can't get fair treatment in the justice system.

I have a problem with the Confederate flag too. If you look at it objectively, the white cop isn't any different than the black who attacks a cop in his car with a gun while he's sitting there. Do you think that the people in Ferguson who screamed that Brown had his hands up, don't shoot should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice and inciting a riot? Until you get blacks to help police their own neighborhoods, what do you expect?

If this doesn't help some people realize that BLM has a legitimate voice that needs to be heard, something's wrong with the way some people see the world.

200px-Tim_Scott,_official_portrait,_112th_Congress_crop.jpg

I have a problem with the Confederate flag too. If you look at it objectively, the white cop isn't any different than the black who attacks a cop in his car with a gun while he's sitting there. Do you think that the people in Ferguson who screamed that Brown had his hands up, don't shoot should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice and inciting a riot? Until you get blacks to help police their own neighborhoods, what do you expect?
Look, I don't deal with any issues when it comes to police. A crooked Sheriff attempted to blackmail my father over a lie about something I didn't do in high school. But I've never feared a policeman before...I tell my daughter (4) all the time to find an officer if something is wrong. I say it with confidence and pride. But I couldn't imagine what it would be like to actually fear authority like the police. Yes, I think some of the fear is exacerbated by the disrespect I've seen heaved onto police in certain areas in which I've lived. And we can talk about chicken or the egg stuff if you want to....I'm just saying there is a legitimate aspect to BLM. A confederate flag flying over the courthouse.....now that's probably a different conversation between father and daughter on justice for sure. That has an affect, and we need to see that a little more clearly. All I'm saying.

In 2001 when Mississippi voted whether to change the state flag to remove the confederate flag image from it, black voter turnout was very low, and almost 40% voted against changing the flag. I remember a black voter talking about voting against changing the flag saying the flag doesn't offend him. He said what offended him was people coming into the state from Chicago and the Northeast telling him what ought to offend him.

In 2001 when Mississippi voted whether to change the state flag to remove the confederate flag image from it, black voter turnout was very low, and almost 40% voted against changing the flag. I remember a black voter talking about voting against changing the flag saying the flag doesn't offend him. He said what offended him was people coming into the state from Chicago and the Northeast telling him what ought to offend him.
You just posted that you heard cops talking about "taking out the trash" in LA in another post. I post saying the BLM has a legitimate element, and you jump on me. I understand you don't like my politics, and my ideology....and the feeling could not be more mutual. But how hypocritical can you allow yourself to be, just to be better than someone you don't like?

None of that bs in that post means anything to me at all. I was offended by it. People that I lived with and around were offended by it. People I worked with and for were offended by it. I formulate thoughts not just from academia but also from the conversations and experiences I have with real people and events. So, I'm not sure what you're saying....but hey, I'm really starting not to care when it comes from you

You just posted that you heard cops talking about "taking out the trash" in LA in another post. I post saying the BLM has a legitimate element, and you jump on me. I understand you don't like my politics, and my ideology....and the feeling could not be more mutual. But how hypocritical can you allow yourself to be, just to be better than someone you don't like?
LOL. You may be taking this a bit personal. Just a little.

BLM has gone beyond representing justice for African Americans. It's a globalist anti-capitalist movement.

The Sen. Scott pic was just to demonstrate that some things are not like they were 150 years ago.

None of that bs in that post means anything to me at all. I was offended by it. People that I lived with and around were offended by it. People I worked with and for were offended by it. I formulate thoughts not just from academia but also from the conversations and experiences I have with real people and events. So, I'm not sure what you're saying....but hey, I'm really starting not to care when it comes from you
Yes, of course. Anecdotal evidence is more important than empirical.

Look, I don't deal with any issues when it comes to police. A crooked Sheriff attempted to blackmail my father over a lie about something I didn't do in high school. But I've never feared a policeman before...I tell my daughter (4) all the time to find an officer if something is wrong. I say it with confidence and pride. But I couldn't imagine what it would be like to actually fear authority like the police. Yes, I think some of the fear is exacerbated by the disrespect I've seen heaved onto police in certain areas in which I've lived. And we can talk about chicken or the egg stuff if you want to....I'm just saying there is a legitimate aspect to BLM. A confederate flag flying over the courthouse.....now that's probably a different conversation between father and daughter on justice for sure. That has an affect, and we need to see that a little more clearly. All I'm saying.

If BLM were legit, then they would be up in every mayor's face in large cities wanting to know why they aren't protecting blacks from being shot by other blacks or non blacks. It's a farce to think that BLM is really about black lives mattering. Very few blacks are every killed by cops. Look it up, you might want to enlighten yourself to the truth.

I tell people here in Va that if you wanted to fly the flag, you should have won the war. I also say the say thing to Indians, you should have killed all the settlers if you don't like the term Redskins![roll]

If BLM were legit, then they would be up in every mayor's face in large cities wanting to know why they aren't protecting blacks from being shot by other blacks or non blacks. It's a farce to think that BLM is really about black lives mattering. Very few blacks are every killed by cops. Look it up, you might want to enlighten yourself to the truth.
Then you guys just go off the rails. Conspiracy and elite domination.....false news, rigged elections.....corrupt scientists, and professors.....liberal armies in the streets and on the internet attempting to undermine the greatness of the USA with their pussy bullshit! God please send savior Trump with his heart warming lack of political correctness to lead us!!!! We will do whatever he says! Just please save us from the globalization

Reactions: countryroads89
Then you guys just go off the rails. Conspiracy and elite domination.....false news, rigged elections.....corrupt scientists, and professors.....liberal armies in the streets and on the internet attempting to undermine the greatness of the USA with their pussy bullshit! God please send savior Trump with his heart warming lack of political correctness to lead us!!!! We will do whatever he says! Just please save us from the globalization

Going off the rails? You gone into another dimension with this post. You brought up BLM and you respond to our indictment of bLM as being a false movement with this drivel.

If BLM were legit, then they would be up in every mayor's face in large cities wanting to know why they aren't protecting blacks from being shot by other blacks or non blacks.
Actually they do, at least in DC -- every time there's a Black-on-Black killing there's a parade of people from the neighborhood hollering on TV that the PO-leese need to do something about all these killings! But let the detectives start asking for help identifying suspects, or questioning witnesses, the song becomes "I ain't helping you lock up another brotha" (or, in an increasing number of cases, a sista).

You are never going to convince me BLM is needed. It's had quite the opposite affect of its intentions which I still don't even know what they are. In fact, because I've been directly impacted by their bullshit, they've actually succeeded in turning me against them. This feeling has nothing to do with racism.

Let me preface the next position with this statement. I think the cop is guilty as hell. With that said, the kid would be alive if he hadn't pissed off a man with a gun by fighting with him and stealing his tazer. Respect the authority, respect the position, respect the gun, even if you don't respect the man. BLM should turn their protests to community outreach about teaching people to behave. But what do we get? Marching down the goddamn interstate during rush hour while I'm trying to get home. Stop allowing yourself to be a victim, make the necessary changes and you won't be a victim. I'm not talking about insurmountable stuff either, easy shit like, don't break the law, don't argue and be openly disrespectful to cops, don't do drugs, etc. You know, assimilate with the current and acceptable cultural norms and decorum. Once that stuff starts to happen, I'll give more than a casual snort when I step over them to get on the escalator in the mall and cut a wicked gasser (true story) as I did it.

That is just a bit on the stupid side. You have a pretty short memory about the church shooting. South Carolina people actually spoke of forgiveness. The flag issue was consequently addressed again. Does it represent segregation, or does it represent heritage of the South. Our governor said, "take it down". There were no resulting riots and burnings and busses being overturned.

"not much has changed in SC in 150-plus years when it comes to race" is very offensive. If you say some racism still exists, I will agree, and suggest it is mostly held by the black youth up to 45 - 50 years old.

Last edited:
Actually they do, at least in DC -- every time there's a Black-on-Black killing there's a parade of people from the neighborhood hollering on TV that the PO-leese need to do something about all these killings! But let the detectives start asking for help identifying suspects, or questioning witnesses, the song becomes "I ain't helping you lock up another brotha" (or, in an increasing number of cases, a sista).

That's why BLM is a crock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT