ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting personal observation on the Big 12 today...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
I live in South Florida so that fact has to be taken into account...but...

Was browsing magazines at Books A Million today (and they have hundreds of titles) with particular interest in the college football ones for the coming season. Of course, had a lot of national and regional splits focusing on the ACC and the SEC ...and several focusing on the Big Ten. Not one cover or mag was dedicated to the Big 12. So, check out a second magazine outlet just for the hell of it and again...nothing on the Big 12. The point is WVU has, until this season, relied on Florida for a lot of skill players...how the hell do you sell WVU and the Big 12 to high school kids when they and all their friends see only three power conferences...SEC, ACC and Big Ten. Just sayin'

Was browsing magazines at Books A Million today (and they have hundreds of titles) with particular interest in the college football ones for the coming season. Of course, had a lot of national and regional splits focusing on the ACC and the SEC ...and several focusing on the Big Ten. Not one cover or mag was dedicated to the Big 12. So, check out a second magazine outlet just for the hell of it and again...nothing on the Big 12. The point is WVU has, until this season, relied on Florida for a lot of skill players...how the hell do you sell WVU and the Big 12 to high school kids when they and all their friends see only three power conferences...SEC, ACC and Big Ten. Just sayin'

That's a good question. I live in Morgantown and have Comcast's xfinitty I get the BTN and SEC Network but zero coverage for anything Big XII. Not even the LHN is offered.

I really like the Big XII conference and the football schedule that The Mountaineers now have. But I think the Big XII is in a position of weakness without a Conference network and not having 12 teams. The effects of which will slowly bring about the collapse of the BIG XII by 2025. Hopefully my fears are unfounded because like I've said I do enjoy watching The Mountaineers playing against our Big XII opponents.

I'm not sure what can be done about it, the Big 12 is a Texas/Okla based league so I wouldn't expect them to get much attention in Florida. Texas being bad lately doesn't help either.

The Big 10 is a little different as they have at least four national brands in football, and then several other programs with massive fanbases (MSU, Wisc, Iowa) I'm not surprised they get more attention.

Either way, it seems WVU has shifted its recruiting focus lately and are taking a lot of Juco skill players, and transfers from other schools which has worked out well for the most part.

If the mood around the country develops into "B12 is collapsing," that will hurt conference recruiting. It seems everything is always a challenge for WVU. Sometimes it feels we are a square peg always trying to be fitted into a round hole. That's what happens when the state is not considered N, S, E or W. We're just in between.

Same problem was around in the Big East days. Recruiting against SEC, B1G, ACC. Those 3 conferences always got top dogs as WVU prayed they got one.

A lot of magazines have diff covers for diff regions with the exact same content.

I do, as I have thought about it, think my observation affects Florida recruiting. As I mentioned before the actual recruit list was released for the coming season, several high school football coaches etc that I come in contact with mentioned a lower profile for WVU. Regardless of what some might think about JUCOs etc...WVU needs Florida for impact and skill players in the long run...unless some are happy with becoming "Middle of the pack West Virginia." I'm not.

What skill players from Florida have we had in the last 10 years that have been studs or even good players? Probably just Devine, Smith, and Bailey.

We've actually had quite a few busts out of FL. I remember when Buie, McCartney, Copeland, Marcellus, McCrary, and Lamar Parker were all supposed to be the next big things for us.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer

I have been thinking for sometime now that the Big 12 is a "third wheel" and out of place in terms of the new playoff system. ESPN never gives us much PR.

Winning fixes issues

A lot of magazines have diff covers for diff regions with the exact same content.
Exactly. That same magazine in Texas or Oklahoma will have a Big 12 cover. The cover helps sell the magazine without changing what's in the magazine because all the Power 5 conferences are in the articles.

High school kids are not looking at magazines

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Exactly. That same magazine in Texas or Oklahoma will have a Big 12 cover. The cover helps sell the magazine without changing what's in the magazine because all the Power 5 conferences are in the articles.

My point all along. What you posted is correct and does not help WVU at all. WVU doesn't recruit effectively in Big12 country so the Conference brand doesn't provide squat.

My point all along. What you posted is correct and does not help WVU at all. WVU doesn't recruit effectively in Big12 country so the Conference brand doesn't provide squat.

Great point.. ...but the nice thing is we can now easily recruit in western Pa. ...although PSU is still a concern.

What I don't do is camp in other teams fan forums.

I'm not even popular here...yet, I wouldn't even consider trolling other teams forums.

Oh no not another Mall Guard haha. Some of you add no value. No content. You just bounce around looking to argue. Do you actually have any interest in adding value to this thread? Or just a pathetically obsessed poster like 5-0? Weirdly you pop up ever so often. You add nothing honey! Get back to your real job ok.

Oh no not another Mall Guard haha. Some of you add no value. No content. You just bounce around looking to argue. Do you actually have any interest in adding value to this thread? Or just a pathetically obsessed poster like 5-0? Weirdly you pop up ever so often. You add nothing honey! Get back to your real job ok.

Even your attempt at condescension is weak my man. Time to consider life outside your parents house? Just sayin...

There are advantages to WVU being in the Big 12. It helps recruit players who want to face Oklahoma and Texas every year, no matter where they come from. Plus $38 million annual paycheck isn't hard to take either.

There are advantages to WVU being in the Big 12. It helps recruit players who want to face Oklahoma and Texas every year, no matter where they come from. Plus $38 million annual paycheck isn't hard to take either.

Again I've posted many times that WVU had no choice but to join the Big12. Texas and Oklahoma have ruined the Big12 and made the situation very unstable. You're right about the money. You're wrong if you think it's helped recruiting.

Even your attempt at condescension is weak my man. Time to consider life outside your parents house? Just sayin...
He is just your typical Pitt troll, but hey he has given more money to WVU and been to more WVU games then any us. Just ask him.

Again I've posted many times that WVU had no choice but to join the Big12. Texas and Oklahoma have ruined the Big12 and made the situation very unstable. You're right about the money. You're wrong if you think it's helped recruiting.
How did it hurt our recruiting? If we weren't in the Big 12 we would be in a less prestigious conference (AAC, Conference USA, MAC, etc.) and that seems like it would hurt our recruiting much more.

How did it hurt our recruiting? If we weren't in the Big 12 we would be in a less prestigious conference (AAC, Conference USA, MAC, etc.) and that seems like it would hurt our recruiting much more.

I never posted Big12 hurt recruiting. I posted Big12 hasn't helped recruiting. At least signicantly helped. Sorry if my wording was confusing. Personally I thought the Big12 would have bumped class ranking up to top 25 but it didn't.

What's up puppet? I'm gonna pull your strings and make you pick your nose.
You are truly a disgusting assemblage of biological tissue with a minute portion possibly being of human origin. Please slither away to never be heard from again. Please!

You are truly a disgusting assemblage of biological tissue with a minute portion possibly being of human origin. Please slither away to never be heard from again. Please!

Funny! I nominate you as Big12 homer of the week! Congrats!!! Now that you have that in your back pocket care to discuss the content presented in the thread. Or you just want to be the next low IQ poster I've run into on this site? 5-0 won't add any content but he will be your friend. At least you got that going for you.

I never posted Big12 hurt recruiting. I posted Big12 hasn't helped recruiting. At least signicantly helped. Sorry if my wording was confusing. Personally I thought the Big12 would have bumped class ranking up to top 25 but it didn't.

Why are you (as a Pitt fan) so concerned with our recruiting? Apparently it's so bad we won 10 games last season - and yes we played like shit against Miami - but our program is in fine shape and is in good position to win another 9-10 this year.

I cannot say the same for your team.

Kids pick schools not conferences. Alabama has never helped any other SEC school do anything. You think the Gators are happy Saban went to Bama and built an unstoppable machine? Florida has been irrelevant ever since Saban's first NC. Texas coming back from the dead and turning into a powerhouse again wouldn't help us either even though it would help the Big XII brand.

Yes he is a Pitt fan.

It's not even that he's trolling...just that he sucks at it.

He's unimaginative, clearly not intelligent, and his insults would be considered lame by 5th graders.

I have little doubt that fellow fans of his school are embarrassed that he represents them.

----------

......watch for his lame, unoriginal, and wonderfully pathetic reply to this post.

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
Why are you (as a Pitt fan) so concerned with our recruiting? Apparently it's so bad we won 10 games last season - and yes we played like shit against Miami - but our program is in fine shape and is in good position to win another 9-10 this year.

Again misrepresenting posts of mine. Some of you guys really are morons. I've posted many times why I have always supported WVU as a program and a University. I'm not wasting my time on you regurgitating those posts again for village idiots. I didn't post anything specifically about WVU recruiting other the Big12 hasn't helped or hurt WVU recruiting IMHO. WVU had a fine year last year. What's the freaken issue? Don't be so insecure about Pitt. I don't bring Pitt into my posts. Just like on my HB I don't bring WVU into my posts. Get a grip dude!!!

We didn't play like shit. We lost to a team that had better athletics, better coaching and a Miami team that played in a far superior conference then the big 12.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT