ADVERTISEMENT

In State kids leaving!

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2002
I understand losing the two kids from Huntington, I can even be convinced that losing a 4 star kid from Charleston to Penn State is Ok, but no way should we lose a kid to Louisville. Also, no way we should be losing kids from Point Pleasant. We made a huge mistake last year losing the Mitchell kid. He has WVU linebacker written all over him, and while recruiting him early last year we did not identify the olineman and make a early push for him?

Point Pleasant is WVU country and no excuse losing kids from that area without more of an effort. Shoot we couldn't even get the kid to wait on a decision and gives us a chance.

Yes...WV kids will leave the state to play elsewhere....................kids all around the country will be doing the same (fill in just any old state here) to play out of state. Momma's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys. Let'em be lawyers and doctor's and such.

Except for the FACT that the day Seth Stewart verballed to Marshall, he said two things:

"I've grown up a Marshall fan"

and

"I'm not interested in any school other than Ohio State, because my grandpa is a big fan of them"

I know........... facts suck..................... but the kid had zero interest in WVU from day 1. It would have been a complete waste of time for WVU to keep pursuing a prospect who was already committed and who was saying these things to press....

I urge 5150 to either pay for a premium membership so he can actually READ about what really went on............ or just return to the Herd board where reality doesn't really matter.

"Point Pleasant is WVU territory" - 5150

"Football started for me at Marshall. I attended games there as a kid and have camped there plenty of times. I just kind of fell in love with the university," Stewart told Herd Nation.

lol!

"Marshall is currently Stewart's only offer, but he's been gaining interest from the "other" Division-I in-state school. The only other school that Stewart has any interest in hearing from is Ohio State. "My grand-pa was a Buckeye fan and always wanted me to go there. If they offered, I'd definitely listen just to please him," Stewart said."

OP looking foolish with all these facts

Until there are more than 4 or 5 West Virginia high school graduates getting athletic scholarhips in one year at Power 5 schools, all this blather about WVU not getting in-state players is farting in the wind. You get the best players you can, whether they're from Miramar or Matewan. And, yes, this is the zillionth thread on this topic. The facts won't change no matter how often these threads start up.

Until there are more than 4 or 5 West Virginia high school graduates getting athletic scholarhips in one year at Power 5 schools, all this blather about WVU not getting in-state players is farting in the wind. You get the best players you can, whether they're from Miramar or Matewan. And, yes, this is the zillionth thread on this topic. The facts won't change no matter how often these threads start up.

By the way, I count THIRTY FIVE West Virginia high school players on the 2016 WVU football roster. Granted, not all are on scholarship, but it's not like only carpetbaggers play football for the Mountainers.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaultHunter
If only there was a way to force these kids to attend WVU....I blame Lyons

Actually, there are currently 7 WV HS kids getting P5 scholarships this year.
Wow, you walked into that one!

Derrek Pitts, Billy Ross, Riley Locklear, Mav Wolfley, Dorian Etheridge, Stills and the kid going to LSU.

(And I actually agree that I don't necessarily care where they're from).

Actually, there are currently 7 WV HS kids getting P5 scholarships this year.
Wow, you walked into that one!

Derrek Pitts, Billy Ross, Riley Locklear, Mav Wolfley, Dorian Etheridge, Stills and the kid going to LSU.

(And I actually agree that I don't necessarily care where they're from).
We also have commits in that list, so it isn't like we're hitless.

Except for the FACT that the day Seth Stewart verballed to Marshall, he said two things:

"I've grown up a Marshall fan"

and

"I'm not interested in any school other than Ohio State, because my grandpa is a big fan of them"

I know........... facts suck..................... but the kid had zero interest in WVU from day 1. It would have been a complete waste of time for WVU to keep pursuing a prospect who was already committed and who was saying these things to press....

I urge 5150 to either pay for a premium membership so he can actually READ about what really went on............ or just return to the Herd board where reality doesn't really matter.

LOL

So you just admitted we got out recruited by Marshall. The problem at Pt Pleasant was last year when we didn't offer the Mitchell kid. It also could have helped if we had offered Stewart early. We had to have known he was a prospect since we watched him on film right.

The real story is losing two WV kids to Louisville. That should not happen.

The funny thing is how fans take up for Dana but if Stew had lost an instate kid it would have been everyone piling on

When Marshall offered Stewart, he was a no-star tight end who was projected to move to OL............ and who had played football exactly 2 seasons in his life.... spending more time in band class than on the field.

No, WVU had no business offering that prospect then. Your thought process would also conclude that a host of 1-AA and D2 schools "out recruit" WVU annually because they sign kids that WVU never offered..........

Likewise, there is only 1 WV kid committed to Louisville. The lineman committed to them played exactly one season in WV and is a German-born exchange student and who has already jetted WV for a prep school for his final season. He also had not a single college football offer (D1) until he went to a camp at UofL and earned a chance........... this is also a no-star, unheralded reach of a recruit, who if Dana did sign, people like 5150 would be chiding him to no end about "this is all we get?"

Also acknowledge the FACT that both Etheridge and Pitts have official visits for WVU planned.......... so nothing is over for those recruits.

And the fact that Etheridge's main recruiter at WVU up and leaves for a promotion at UofL didn't have anything to do with it, right? "Should never happen" is a very ignorant thing to say, as if WVU did anything wrong during his recruitment............ the kid made a choice. The end.

But at the end of the day, 5150 is still the same old drum that did his beating all 2015 for a Jefferson WR that WVU "obviously missed on"...................... that ended up signing with Towson................ Towson................ that powerhouse. The same 5150 whose "lawyer buddy" assured him that Dana missed on not one but two sure-NFL players in the Fronahwhatever twins that ended up at Marshall........... and who aren't sniffing the NFL.

again, facts...............

Last edited:
When Marshall offered Stewart, he was a no-star tight end who was projected to move to OL............ and who had played football exactly 2 seasons in his life.... spending more time in band class than on the field.

No, WVU had no business offering that prospect then. Your thought process would also conclude that a host of 1-AA and D2 schools "out recruit" WVU annually because they sign kids that WVU never offered..........

Likewise, there is only 1 WV kid committed to Louisville. The lineman committed to them played exactly one season in WV and is a German-born exchange student and who has already jetted WV for a prep school for his final season. He also had not a single college football offer (D1) until he went to a camp at UofL and earned a chance........... this is also a no-star, unheralded reach of a recruit, who if Dana did sign, people like 5150 would be chiding him to no end about "this is all we get?"

Also acknowledge the FACT that both Etheridge and Pitts have official visits for WVU planned.......... so nothing is over for those recruits.

And the fact that Etheridge's main recruiter at WVU up and leaves for a promotion at UofL didn't have anything to do with it, right? "Should never happen" is a very ignorant thing to say, as if WVU did anything wrong during his recruitment............ the kid made a choice. The end.

But at the end of the day, 5150 is still the same old drum that did his beating all 2015 for a Jefferson WR that WVU "obviously missed on"...................... that ended up signing with Towson................ Towson................ that powerhouse. The same 5150 whose "lawyer buddy" assured him that Dana missed on not one but two sure-NFL players in the Fronahwhatever twins that ended up at Marshall........... and who aren't sniffing the NFL.

again, facts...............

The fact is Marshall out recruited us for both Pt Pleasant kids

Fact, we should never lose a WV kid to Louisville no matter the lead recruiter

Fact, Dana gets a pass for getting his tail kicked on instate recruiting

Btw, the fall UVA depth chart as a kid starting on the oline from Parkersburg. Ooops forget that one?

Maybe Rick Dolly's kids still ends up a Mountaineer

From everything I have heard the staff did get caught flat footed on a couple of issues regarding instate recruiting. I agree with Keaton the recruitment is not over for the Charleston kids but to say some of this could have been handled differently is an understatement.

It could get interesting for the Dolly kid from Moorefield if he has a good season.

"Btw, the fall UVA depth chart as a kid starting on the oline from Parkersburg. Ooops forget that one?"

You mean the kid with zero D1 offers who had to go to an out of state prep school in order to become a lowly 2 star lineman? A lineman, who had we signed him when he was a post-grad prospect, would have easily been the worst-rated commitment of the class.

LOL! Guess we were just too busy recruiting Angus and Cajuste

Hey 5150............. whose offensive line is ranked as a preseason top 10 unit right now?

You are a gigantic pair of WV homer clown shoes who literally can't get it right.

"The fact is WVU lost to Marshall".............. how do you lose something you never wanted? WVU never offered Seth Stewart until after he broke his MU commitment, and we did so as soon as he chose to part................ If Stewart wanted to be a Mountaineer, he'd be one. Fact.

Last edited:

Btw, the fall UVA depth chart as a kid starting on the oline from Parkersburg. Ooops forget that one?

Cool. UVA sucks.

Why should we never lose a kid to Louisville? Oh that's right, state pride.[eyeroll]

I understand losing the two kids from Huntington, I can even be convinced that losing a 4 star kid from Charleston to Penn State is Ok, but no way should we lose a kid to Louisville. Also, no way we should be losing kids from Point Pleasant. We made a huge mistake last year losing the Mitchell kid. He has WVU linebacker written all over him, and while recruiting him early last year we did not identify the olineman and make a early push for him?

Point Pleasant is WVU country and no excuse losing kids from that area without more of an effort. Shoot we couldn't even get the kid to wait on a decision and gives us a chance.

Who said any of them were 4 stars?

Last time I checked, 5150............ Aaron Dobson, the WR that Stew "forgot" to offer was the one with a Super Bowl ring and running routes for Tom Brady....

Last time I checked, 5150............ Aaron Dobson, the WR that Stew "forgot" to offer was the one with a Super Bowl ring and running routes for Tom Brady....

Aaron Dobson is 100% on Doc, Doc did not want him because of the florida guys that ended up playing in the pros. Doc does not like WV kids.

WVU did want Stewart they just got involved to late IMO>

The fact is we have gotten more talent and deep talent under Dana, regardless if they're from WV or not. We can never rely on in-state recruits and we should better focus our recruiting elsewhere, namely in Florida.

I'm not lamenting over WV recruits because it's a rarity that they start out of high school because our archaic rules prevent kids from practicing year-round and keeping up with other states. We are also bleeding population like a sieve so we will get less and less D-I caliber talent coming out. It's sad to say, but more WV kids are tailored to play Marshall ball than they are WVU ball. That's not a knock on our school or recruiting. It's a knock on the caliber of our high school athletics.

Reactions: SteelHeadEer
Aaron Dobson is 100% on Doc, Doc did not want him because of the florida guys that ended up playing in the pros. Doc does not like WV kids.

WVU did want Stewart they just got involved to late IMO>

WVU offered as soon as Stewart reopened his recruitment..... To the day.

WVU didn't get involved in the first place back before he committed to Marshall because, as stated already, he was a bad prospect who wasn't even playing the current position that he does now..... MU offered him out of pure "wait and see what happens."

You can't compete in the B12 taking reaches like that

I'm more concerned about educated kids with huge potential in industry leaving the state of WV compared to a few athletes who leave the state to play a sport for a few years.

Seth Stewart from Point Pleasant is no longer a Marshall commit. He switched to LSU about a week or two ago.

WVU offered as soon as Stewart reopened his recruitment..... To the day.

WVU didn't get involved in the first place back before he committed to Marshall because, as stated already, he was a bad prospect who wasn't even playing the current position that he does now..... MU offered him out of pure "wait and see what happens."

You can't compete in the B12 taking reaches like that
If the kid is going to LSU not sure he was ever a bad prospect or even now a reach, if so, would be a nice reach to have. I don't think anyone would be upset if he switched to the good guys. Just like last week the Stills kid was a bad prospect until he was offered.

IMO, I am like some others in this thread pro type talent is not Dana's problem but taking that talent and winning games is the problem. We have more guys in the pros now then any other time in the history of our program.

Reactions: GoWVU
LOL

So you just admitted we got out recruited by Marshall. The problem at Pt Pleasant was last year when we didn't offer the Mitchell kid. It also could have helped if we had offered Stewart early. We had to have known he was a prospect since we watched him on film right.

The real story is losing two WV kids to Louisville. That should not happen.

The funny thing is how fans take up for Dana but if Stew had lost an instate kid it would have been everyone piling on
We were never getting Stewart Ross or locklear

Trust me on that

What are you talking about ? We never offered Mitchell from point pleasant

Oh but don't you know? Cody Mitchell................. big time miss. Even though he doesn't yet have a position at the college level............. most likely a LB.

Guess we should have taken time from recruiting Ferns and the boys to offer a project

What are you talking about ? We never offered Mitchell from point pleasant
Honestly, I watched that Mitchel kid late in the year and he is a stud. I think we missed on him. The two kids from Huntington were NEVER going to WVU.

Honestly, I watched that Mitchel kid late in the year and he is a stud. I think we missed on him. The two kids from Huntington were NEVER going to WVU.

I saw Mitchell in camp and while I agree he was a good player wouldn't take him over the linebackers they signed. Sometimes it's a numbers game you can't take them all.

Reactions: SteelHeadEer
I saw Mitchell in camp and while I agree he was a good player wouldn't take him over the linebackers they signed. Sometimes it's a numbers game you can't take them all.
I spoke to a high school coach that played Pt Pleasant last year and he said Mitchell reminded him of Reed Williams in high school.

I spoke to a high school coach that played Pt Pleasant last year and he said Mitchell reminded him of Reed Williams in high school.
We didn't offer Mitchell so explain how we were out recruited

By the way, I count THIRTY FIVE West Virginia high school players on the 2016 WVU football roster. Granted, not all are on scholarship, but it's not like only carpetbaggers play football for the Mountainers.

The big bold black is so much easier on the eyes that the big red bold. I always skip over your posts because the red is such an annoying color. Its a shame you are stubborn and continue to post in the big red bold because I enjoy your posts. Consider keeping the big black bold instead.

"Every instate kid deserves a shot"

Literally said by 5150 before

lol, no, what I said was every kid deserves to be vetted. I think Ollie stepped in and made sure that was taking place after a few early

While its nice to have WV kids on WVU, shouldn't we all want the best players for the position of need?

I don't care if they come from California or Maine, just get kids that want to be here and want to compete for championships.

Currently most of our players are from Ohio, Pa, Maryland, and Florida. I would continue to recruit those areas hard and looks like we are adding Georgia and NC to that list.

To me, Recruit the DMV, WPIAL, and all of Ohio and we are fine.

On the basketball side, Huggs and staff are doing major work in in all of the same areas, especially Ohio.

The big bold black is so much easier on the eyes that the big red bold. I always skip over your posts because the red is such an annoying color. Its a shame you are stubborn and continue to post in the big red bold because I enjoy your posts. Consider keeping the big black bold instead.

Appreciate the comment, but it helps me find my posts in a long thread easier. Anyway, it's the words that count. I hope mind are informative and civil. Thank you. Let's monster-mash Missouri.

Finally something I can agree with from you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT