ADVERTISEMENT

I'm beating the trolls to this one.....

And Santa Claus switches jobs with the Easter Bunny. Now that's according to inside sources quoting the Tooth Fairy so don't hold me to it. o_O

Baylor will have a tough time finding a prime head coach in late May. I suspect one of the assistants with the least dirty hands might be named interim coach.

Reactions: xafjag
I heard the same thing on a Houston sports station! Where'd you hear it? :grimace:

Did that same Houston sports station report that Houston billionaire booster and chairman of the University of Houston System Board of Regents Tilman Fertitta was outspoken in his agreement with UT billionaire booster Red McCombs that Houston should have already been added to the B12. McCombs said:

"I think we need to add two teams to the Big 12 and should have done it two years ago. The first one should be the University of Houston then it would be your choice of several others."

In an obvious dig, Fertitta said Texas was 'scared of Houston' and also opined, "When it comes to eyeballs, all you have to do is look at what we did at the end of the year," Fertitta said. "What I don't like -- and I'm concerned about -- as a Houstonian is that the SEC is starting to own Houston. ... There's more talk about the SEC than there is the Big 12.

"I just don't understand the Big 12 not wanting to own Houston, Texas, which is soon to be the third-largest populous in the United States. To me, it's a no-brainer. I'm just kind of disappointed and shocked it's not an automatic." Uh-oh, it's not like billionaire supporters have any say in Texas regarding athletics it? Source

Baylor will have a tough time finding a prime head coach in late May. I suspect one of the assistants with the least dirty hands might be named interim coach.

I think whoever ends up as the permanent replacement will either be some coach at a smaller school or some up and comer. Some people may forget that before Art Briles they where a perennial Door mat. He did a good job taking mid level recruiting classes and molding them into winners. The stigma of this scandal will probably hang around for awhile and allot of people will want to stay away from this job. Baylor doesn't have the prestige of a large university and will have a much more difficult time getting past this

I think whoever ends up as the permanent replacement will either be some coach at a smaller school or some up and comer. Some people may forget that before Art Briles they where a perennial Door mat. He did a good job taking mid level recruiting classes and molding them into winners. The stigma of this scandal will probably hang around for awhile and allot of people will want to stay away from this job. Baylor doesn't have the prestige of a large university and will have a much more difficult time getting past this
I think you're mistaken about Baylor's profile. There are a lot of successful coaches who will have interest in Baylor.

I think you're mistaken about Baylor's profile. There are a lot of successful coaches who will have interest in Baylor.

Well Baylor wasn't that big before Briles. It is one of the smallest schools in the power 5. They only had one top 25 recruiting class in Briles tenure, they have a small stadium. The new coach is stepping into the shadow of this scandal. Briles was making 4 million but he wasn't brought in making that he had to earn it. Most coaches that come into a place looking for 4 million are looking for stadiums with 80K and names that sell themselves and Baylor historically isn't one of them

Well Baylor wasn't that big before Briles. It is one of the smallest schools in the power 5. They only had one top 25 recruiting class in Briles tenure, they have a small stadium. The new coach is stepping into the shadow of this scandal. Briles was making 4 million but he wasn't brought in making that he had to earn it. Most coaches that come into a place looking for 4 million are looking for stadiums with 80K and names that sell themselves and Baylor historically isn't one of them
A lot of longtime deep pocketed boosters will make sure Baylor gets a good coach. I think you're underselling Baylor. When the SWC merged with the B8 Houston wanted in as did Rice and TCU. Baylor got in. There's a reason for that.

Word among the Texas billionaires is, Houston's coming. I don't know about any other team, but if you follow the money Houston gets an invite. Serious as a heart attack.

A lot of longtime deep pocketed boosters will make sure Baylor gets a good coach. I think you're underselling Baylor. When the SWC merged with the B8 Houston wanted in as did Rice and TCU. Baylor got in. There's a reason for that.

I think what he's trying to say is that whoever the next coach is it won't be an established power 5 coach it will be someone from conference usa or a smaller conference. It could be a power 5 assistant. Baylor also doesn't have a long tradition of winning either. Im not sure who baylors boosters are but they don't come anywhere close to what an LSU, Texas, Texas AM, Tennessee and any other major power 5 job that may be available after this season. The next coach is also going to be inheriting a program that is going to be under intense scrutiny for the next couple of years.

I think what he's trying to say is that whoever the next coach is it won't be an established power 5 coach it will be someone from conference usa or a smaller conference. It could be a power 5 assistant. Baylor also doesn't have a long tradition of winning either. Im not sure who baylors boosters are but they don't come anywhere close to what an LSU, Texas, Texas AM, Tennessee and any other major power 5 job that may be available after this season. The next coach is also going to be inheriting a program that is going to be under intense scrutiny for the next couple of years.
I'm just saying Baylor won't be going door-to-door with their hats in their hands. Also Les will be at LSU for 2017 season.

I'm just saying Baylor won't be going door-to-door with their hats in their hands. Also Les will be at LSU for 2017 season.

Im not trying to disagree with you I think Briles raised the profile of the program i think Ole was suggesting that Baylor is not the caliber of a Texas, Texas am or whatever high profile job may be open.

Im not trying to disagree with you I think Briles raised the profile of the program i think Ole was suggesting that Baylor is not the caliber of a Texas, Texas am or whatever high profile job may be open.
Is Brady Hoke an established P5 coach? Do you think he'd take a call from Baylor?

Reactions: WV Jim WV
Houston makes no sense from a marketing standpoint.

No offense intended, but have you seen the studies yet? Houston is the fourth largest city in the US and climbing. Plus Houston is in SE Texas between A&M and Louisiana. With billionaires backing the idea it could easily happen. Never thought abut it until I looked at a map. No way the Dallas/Fort Worth area delivers SE Texas. Right now A&M owns it marketing wise.

No offense intended, but have you seen the studies yet? Houston is the fourth largest city in the US and climbing. Plus Houston is in SE Texas between A&M and Louisiana. With billionaires backing the idea it could easily happen. Never thought abut it until I looked at a map. No way the Dallas/Fort Worth area delivers SE Texas. Right now A&M owns it marketing wise.
B-12 already has the Houston market. What market does Houston add? That's what it comes down to--media markets shared. Houston adds none and no amount of billionaires will change that.

No amount of billionaires will change that? We'll know soon enough.
That's right. Do you think billionaires in Texas will cause presidents in West Virginia, Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma to vote against self-interest?

B-12 is likely not expanding. Member schools are acting as if the B-12 won't be around in 10 years.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I may be wrong, but so far what Texas wants Texas gets. They only need to appease Oklahoma with another choice that everyone else will go along with. Oklahoma wanted Louisville, Texas wanted WVU instead. How did that one turn out? It doesn't really matter to me one way or another what happens next week or this summer. All I care about is WVU remaining in a power 5 conference. To do that they have to keep improving academics and one more thing. Start winning.

The ONLY way Houston comes in is if Baylor gets bounced. The only way that happens is if Baylor gets SMU'd.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Is Brady Hoke an established P5 coach? Do you think he'd take a call from Baylor?

Brady hoke got fired from Michigan he only had 1 season that met the standards that a program like Michigan expect and that was his 1st. Why would a program like Baylor want to hire a guy who couldn't get it done with a program with much greater resources then Baylor will ever have?

Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett was offered the team's interim head coaching position per ESPN and is expected to accept. With only a few months until the season you'd have to assume that means at least until next year he'll be the man.

I get they're in a tight window but replacing the sheriff with a crooked deputy doesn't seem like the best way to clean up the program or it's image.

Baylor sucked for 100 years before they got Briles. Where were those deep pocketed boosters before Briles came along? Did they just start getting rich after Baylor started winning under Briles?

I have seen a few articles with possible replacements for briles there are some difference but most seem to be suggesting a power 5 coordinator or non power 5 head coach. I did see one article that listed Possibly Sonny dykes or Larry fedora.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ris-kiffin/1v6ih9k7ccabt1r4l3qf9orxuq/slide/1

Whoever said Fedora would leave UNC for Baylor shouldn't be allowed to comment on college football ever again.

Just because he is from Texas and was an assistant position coach at Baylor 20 years ago doesn't mean he is dying to get back there. The UNC gig is a million times better gig than Baylor. UNC is the flagship program in the state of North Carolina, and their alumni can match dollar for dollar anything Baylor can come up with. That's like us saying because Nick Saban spent a week at WVU as an assistant coach and is from West Virginia that he would leave Alabama for WVU... and we don't have a heinous scandal to overcome and are not overshadowed in our own state by 5 other power 5 schools.

Brady hoke got fired from Michigan he only had 1 season that met the standards that a program like Michigan expect and that was his 1st. Why would a program like Baylor want to hire a guy who couldn't get it done with a program with much greater resources then Baylor will ever have?

I don't know, half of our fans want Rich back, and he was far worse at UM than Hoke.

Im not trying to disrespect Baylor and what they have accomplished in anyway its just for them to stay competitive in the manner in which they have in the last 4-5 years they will need to find the next Art briles. Its gonna be allot more difficult to do that under the uncertainties that the program faces at the moment the wheels of justice at the Ncaa move slowly. I am not saying that the Ncaa will take any action, its just gonna be awhile until we know for sure. The success Baylor has had will potentially make it attractive to someone but they aren't going to hire the Jim harbaughs or urban meyers of the world under any circumstances. I am sure that some of the hot up comers might have been interested in this job had Briles retired under normal circumstances and some might still have interest but probably not as many as last week. In the end i don't really care what happens to them all I care about is what WVU does. I hope coach Dana can get over the hump of 7-5 and lead us to greener pastors. If Dana doesn't meet whatever the expectations that the current AD has in mind then the next coach will enter WVU with the weather report saying Partly cloudy. The next Baylor coach enters with the weather report saying Thunderstorms with tornado watches posted.

B-12 already has the Houston market. What market does Houston add? That's what it comes down to--media markets shared. Houston adds none and no amount of billionaires will change that.
This is False. Houston Market right now is
1. SEC
2. Houston
3. Big12
check the TV ratings.

There is a reason Gee personally visited the University of Houston, the people in charge of this already know what Houston has to offer.

1. SEC
2. Houston
3. Big12
check the TV ratings.

There is a reason Gee personally visited the University of Houston, the people in charge of this already know what Houston has to offer.

You're correct...people smarter and more informed will make the final decisions.

Still, to imply only TV ratings Is what gains a market for a conference network is a reach. Are you suggesting that if Texas and the rest of the Big 12 started one that it wouldn't already being carried in the Houston market (even without Houston in our conference) ? I think you know it would...which means Houston doesn't add anything (except a currently good football team).

I live in PSU territory and my local cable provider doesn't carry The Big 10 network.
Why?
_--The network refused to be al la carte (aka subscription) programming and preferred to be part of the regular sports package.
---The networK's partner, Fox Sports, didn't have the leverage to force the issue (basically using blackmail).

Keep in mind I live in the Lions Den and I have not one, but two SEC channels. My cable provider tried to fight it (even sent out letters saying stations may be lost for ESPN, Disney, ABC, and many more channels).
Why they lost ?

_-Despite no SEC schools ANYWHERE CLOSE to its customer base my cable provider just couldn't lose all those channels and knew it must give into the blackmail.

I promise you that PSU would bring more viewers in my area than the SEC (third tier) games combined. ....so understand that tv ratings are only small part of this complex puzzle.

Baylor sucked for 100 years before they got Briles. Where were those deep pocketed boosters before Briles came along? Did they just start getting rich after Baylor started winning under Briles?
Do you think having money equals winning? If that was the case Texas would be national champs every year.

Have you ever been to Houston? It's SEC country down there and it's not really debatable.
Yes. I'm four hours away. There is a sizable contingent for the SEC because of A&M. But all that is irrelevant. B-12 has that media market. If you want to find the money to convince Texas to give up the Longhorn Network in order to form a more lucrative conference network you'll have to expand outside the current B-12 market.

Last edited:
1. SEC
2. Houston
3. Big12
check the TV ratings.

A&M has a larger following than Texas...by 6%. Houston Cougars are a distant third according to the Neilsen Ratings. But the point is with regards to market share B-12 has a footprint there.

And if things are nearly equal in most areas, do you really want to piss off not one, but two billionaires who are major contributors? One being the head of the Houston Board of Governors and the other a UT supporter. If Texas wants it and is willing to give the other choice to everyone else, it just might happen. We'll know shortly.

If the money guys get their way it will happen right away. If not, it will drag out if it happens at all. Many UT fans and supporters want out of the B12.

Whoever said Fedora would leave UNC for Baylor shouldn't be allowed to comment on college football ever again.

Just because he is from Texas and was an assistant position coach at Baylor 20 years ago doesn't mean he is dying to get back there. The UNC gig is a million times better gig than Baylor. UNC is the flagship program in the state of North Carolina, and their alumni can match dollar for dollar anything Baylor can come up with. That's like us saying because Nick Saban spent a week at WVU as an assistant coach and is from West Virginia that he would leave Alabama for WVU... and we don't have a heinous scandal to overcome and are not overshadowed in our own state by 5 other power 5 schools.

Actually I think it is foolish to think Fedora would leave UNC for Baylor or Sonny Dykes to leave cal for Baylor. I think Both Fedora and Sykes would try and hit the jackpot and allot of schools are more appealing then what Baylor offers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT