ADVERTISEMENT

If Lyons is going to fire Dana, it will be in next 24 hours

Word is that Lyons will announce Monday that Dana will be here next season, but he, Lyons, will name a "head coach in waiting" under Dana before the bowl game. Seems like a reasonable and smart more. The "coach in waiting" will be able to tutor under Dana and that should ensure a smooth transition.

Reactions: wvvidd
Wow! Coach in waiting. What a novel ideal. Has it ever been tried before? Would Dana be receptive to such an idea? No harm in asking.

Terrible idea RE: Coach in waiting

Word is that Lyons will announce Monday that Dana will be here next season, but he, Lyons, will name a "head coach in waiting" under Dana before the bowl game. Seems like a reasonable and smart more. The "coach in waiting" will be able to tutor under Dana and that should ensure a smooth transition.

Dana gets major retention bonus on Tuesday if he is still in our employ.

He does ?

Care to share that number and compare it with the one it will take to buy him out ?

I'm guessing it isn't nearly as substantial.....

I hope you're messing with us....or your source is dead wrong.

Funny

It's $75k and it's not much compared to the buyout but my point is that it would be stupid to pay the retention bonus then turn around and fire him a month later. If they're going to let him go, it will be on Monday.

That is all.

QUOTE="LowFatMilk, post: 579593, member: 4958"]He does ?

Care to share that number and compare it with the one it will take to buy him out ?

I'm guessing it isn't nearly as substantial.....[/QUOTE]

I expect we will keep him. Donors want him gone but not badly enough to pony up 8million buyout for staff. The only way we can dump him is if we bring in a coach who wants to keep most of the current staff.

We already have a coach in waiting. We have been waiting for him to coach a little better than he has been coaching. Lots of fans want a new coach so they can wait and see if he can coach any better than the coach we have who we have been waiting to show up and coach.

Reactions: TexasforevEER
What a stupid, one sided deal Ollie signed for WVU. He should have to pay from his new NCAA perch!
buyouts like that are fairly common in football these days. It's not an Ollie issue. You guys need to step out into the real world and look around.

Have any of you ever watched Dana at a presser? He makes odd noises, is prone to jerky arm movements, coughs/throat clears constantly, and has facial tics, all symptoms that are consistent with a moderate case of Tourettes. If so, that means he's covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act. Which would mean he's basically untouchable if he wants to hold WVU's feet to the fire.

If the Tourettes is a fact, WVU could try to remove him from the HC job ala' the Stewart route, but they would have to create a job that would pay him the same as what he's getting now, or pay out a settlement that would meet his terms.

And before someone says "It's the Red Bull!" or "It's allergies." let me clue you in. I have a mild form of Tourettes, it runs in my family. I've seen it in relatives all my life, from mild levels to the severe form you see in TV documentaries. I know my own kind and Dana is one of us.

Reactions: ynalak
If Lyons doesn't fire DH today, he is not going to fire him even if we lose by 100 in the bowl game. One, DH gets retention bonus tomorrow. 2. Everybody looking for a coach in the off season will be hiring in December. Nobody is going to be left to hire after our bowl game, which is the LAST GAME before the national championship.

My guess is by mid-season next year, we will be 2-4, with remaining games of OSU, OU, UT and Baylor, the writing will be on the wall and they'll start lining up a new coach. They will not keep Dana if he's destined to have a losing season. This time next year we will have a new coach.

The sad thing is that we'll have to start all over with a new QB and new staff in 2017. 2016 will be a wasted year for if not for the Ollie Luck contract with Dana, we would cut our losses and rebuild in 2016 and have a solid experienced QB/defense in 2017.

It's today or bust and due to the buyout clause, I'm afraid

Didn't Pasthisprime do the same thing when he extended Stewart's contract?

BTW, I think if Coach DuH loses the bowl game, he will be toast as the long knives will really be out in full force.

If Lyons doesn't fire DH today, he is not going to fire him even if we lose by 100 in the bowl game. One, DH gets retention bonus tomorrow. 2. Everybody looking for a coach in the off season will be hiring in December. Nobody is going to be left to hire after our bowl game, which is the LAST GAME before the national championship.

Respectfully disagree. The bowl game will be considered. 75k is peanuts when you're talking about millions. There will be coaches available. A lot of teams will wait until after the bowl games to both hire and fire, look at previous years.

Have any of you ever watched Dana at a presser? He makes odd noises, is prone to jerky arm movements, coughs/throat clears constantly, and has facial tics, all symptoms that are consistent with a moderate case of Tourettes. If so, that means he's covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act. Which would mean he's basically untouchable if he wants to hold WVU's feet to the fire.

If the Tourettes is a fact, WVU could try to remove him from the HC job ala' the Stewart route, but they would have to create a job that would pay him the same as what he's getting now, or pay out a settlement that would meet his terms.

And before someone says "It's the Red Bull!" or "It's allergies." let me clue you in. I have a mild form of Tourettes, it runs in my family. I've seen it in relatives all my life, from mild levels to the severe form you see in TV documentaries. I know my own kind and Dana is one of us.

Mike.......................in Holgs case............it's the Red Bull coupled with the pickles the TorontoEERs send him. I know this because these symptoms appear with any person that couples Red Bull with pickles from TorontoEERS. I have the same symptoms right now and it's not even 10:00 am yet!

Respectfully disagree. The bowl game will be considered. 75k is peanuts when you're talking about millions. There will be coaches available. A lot of teams will wait until after the bowl games to both hire and fire, look at previous years.

The recruiting class would be hot garbage if DH is fired after the bowl game. That is why whenever there is a change the question is whether or not the old coach will be around for the bowl game. This is the window where coaches can do in home visits, meet the parents and of course give instructions for meeting the 'bagman'.

You know as well as I do pickle juice is a known anti-spasmodic and methane producer. It allows the colon to loosen up in order to let the gas out in great bursts as the sphincter relaxes. The carbonation in Red Bull simply increases pressure and thrust.

Why do you think that Gibson kid is so fast? Dana put him on to pickle juice and Red Bull. Smallwood? The same thing, that's where he gets that initial burst.

Another message board firing of a college football head coach - is this the best posters can do - very boring. The low information fans and trolls need something fresh and new. There is barely a pulse on this board.

Another message board firing of a college football head coach - is this the best posters can do - very boring. The low information fans and trolls need something fresh and new. There is barely a pulse on this board.

Eventually people will realize there is a bowl game and a chance at a 8 win season

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Not me. It's Pearl Harbor Day. I'm dropping logs down the crappers of sushi joints from noon to midnight today. Those Tojo's will think Godzilla is rising from the deep when they see what I leave behind.

Reactions: GoWVU
the mouth breathers have unrealistic expectations. They demand 12-0 seasons. WVU finished 4-1 in the final 5 games. That is just not good enough for them. We faced a Kansas State team that experienced injuries to their qb all season. That explains why they lost 6 in a row after starting 3-0. In that time, they also ran through a gauntlet of ranked teams like we experienced in our 4 game skid. And even through that, they only lost to those 3 top 10 teams by 7 points or less. It's easy to think, they could just as easily have finished 9-3 this year instead of 6-6. Considering Bill Snyder has won 10 games 9 times and as many as 11 games 7 times in his career at KState, that is a reasonable assumption. The low information, low IQ, mouth breathers only saw 5-6 and screamed, "they suck! They're terrible". They fail to realize KState was also on a 2 game winning streak leading up to our game. They finished 3-0 in their final 3 games. We need to retire these mouth breathers and send them off to find a new hobby. They are an embarrassment to the fanbase.

Last edited:
the mouth breathers have unrealistic expectations. They demand 12-0 seasons.

No, we just think we should beat Ok State at home when we are a 7 point favorite. We also think we should beat a 5-6 K State team when we are a 7 point favorite. Yes, they are not very good this year. They lost at home to OU 55-0. They barely beat La Tech. They lost to TT by 15 points, but please, keep telling us how good they are.

No, we just think we should beat Ok State at home when we are a 7 point favorite. We also think we should beat a 5-6 K State team when we are a 7 point favorite. Yes, they are not very good this year. They lost at home to OU 55-0. They barely beat La Tech. They lost to TT by 15 points, but please, keep telling us how good they are.
we would not be favored by 7 points today with Oklahoma state lol. That was early in season nitwit. Before the season played out. And I explained why KState had the season they did. Plus Oklahoma is in the top 4. They might be in line for a national title. And TTech is a good team. Stop mouth breathing.

The big lesson there Country is always take the underdog at home when the line is a touchdown or less.

(I may have gave up gambling, but I never forgot those hard lessons.)

K-State had something to play for, the pride of getting in a bowl game the legit way by winning out. You could see WVU tighten up late in the game, while K-State did what they had to, to get the win.

we would not be favored by 7 points today with Oklahoma state lol. That was early in season nitwit. Before the season played out. And I explained why KState had the season they did. Plus Oklahoma is in the top 4. They might be in line for a national title. And TTech is a good team. Stop mouth breathing.

I love your logic. If you have to keep explaining things away, you're probably wrong. I don't care if it was early in the season or late in the season, we should have beat Ok State. We beat TT and they beat K State by 15 points. TT is a mediocre team, they are certainly not a good team. Go ahead and call me mouth breather again. I guess the old saying is correct; when someone isn't very intelligent, they don't realize how foolish they look.

I love your logic. If you have to keep explaining things away, you're probably wrong. I don't care if it was early in the season or late in the season, we should have beat Ok State. We beat TT and they beat K State by 15 points. TT is a mediocre team, they are certainly not a good team. Go ahead and call me mouth breather again. I guess the old saying is correct; when someone isn't very intelligent, they don't realize how foolish they look.

I get it. You are upset that WVU lost. All emotion and no substance. I hope things turn around for you.

Have you met Dana's brother Owen? It runs in the family...

Was this stupid post part of your Touretts??

Reactions: wbgvwbgv
the mouth breathers have unrealistic expectations. They demand 12-0 seasons. WVU finished 4-1 in the final 5 games. That is just not good enough for them. We faced a Kansas State team that experienced injuries to their qb all season. That explains why they lost 6 in a row after starting 3-0. In that time, they also ran through a gauntlet of ranked teams like we experienced in our 4 game skid. And even through that, they only lost to those 3 top 10 teams by 7 points or less. It's easy to think, they could just as easily have finished 9-3 this year instead of 6-6. Considering Bill Snyder has won 10 games 9 times and as many as 11 games 7 times in his career at KState, that is a reasonable assumption. The low information, low IQ, mouth breathers only saw 5-6 and screamed, "they suck! They're terrible". They fail to realize KState was also on a 2 game winning streak leading up to our game. They finished 3-0 in their final 3 games. We need to retire these mouth breathers and send them off to find a new hobby. They are an embarrassment to the fanbase.
No, the embarrassment to our fan base is someone who continually uses the term "mouth breather" in an attempt to degrade fellow WVU fans for an opposing view.

Reactions: 20Wildcat and GoWVU
I believe we will keep Holgorsen for another season, and looking at the landscape of college football right now, and the many job openings, it is likely the right choice. I do not believe he has earned another season but sometimes you have to do things at the right time. I do not believe he warrants a contract extension and if next season is another one in which we beat nobody except who we are supposed to, it should be his last.

Reactions: steeleer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT