ADVERTISEMENT

I would get rid of Gibson WAY before getting rid of Dana.

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
This past season and next season would be awesome if WVU has a top 50 defense.

No more excuses for Gibson if WVU stumbles to a 7-5 / 8-4 record with everyone coming back.

Hell this past season the offense was elite enough to win 10 games or more if again Gibson could produce just a top 50 caliber defense.

People want to talk about Dana or Spav. What's the highest defensive ranking WVU has had under Gibson?

No more excuses for Gibson if WVU stumbles to a 7-5 / 8-4 record with everyone coming back.

Hell this past season the offense was elite enough to win 10 games or more if again Gibson could produce just a top 50 caliber defense.

People want to talk about Dana or Spav. What's the highest defensive ranking WVU has had under Gibson?

Thank goodness you're not in charge. Go back to being in charge of you gold fish aquarium and stop undermining our coaches.

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER

Gibby isn't an independent contractor. That's all Dana and the administration. They have accountability, too. And Gibby was lookin' pretty good until this season. We overachieved the last couple years. He got a raise. Then we lost a bunch of starters and couldn't replace 'em. It happens. We have a bunch comin' back next year.

Dana wouldn't have a job at WVU if it weren't for Gibby.

Thank goodness you're not in charge. Go back to being in charge of you gold fish aquarium and stop undermining our coaches.

Well the D isn’t very reliable so he has a point. Plus it’s obvious you’re a drama queen. How on earth is he undermining the coaches. He gave an opinion on an anonymous website for purpose of conversing with others. Relax!

I guess we b

I guess we should prepare you for the future with Valium, hire you a psychologist to help you cope.

Gibson will be assigned the next HC job if Holgs leaves or is fired.

Perhaps you can flip to Marshall if it makes you feel good.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Surely you don't mean to say that Gibby is the best we can do...I'm sure there are several that would do at least an equal job. And I bet there are a few that would do better
He's pretty successful so far, especially considering what he has had to work with. And all I was really saying is his defenses are the reason Dana was able to win enough to keep his job.

He's pretty successful so far, especially considering what he has had to work with. And all I was really saying is his defenses are the reason Dana was able to win enough to keep his job.

No need to backpedal. You are 100% right. Overall, our defense has stepped up more in big moments than our offenses have since he’s been here. That’s while completely forgetting what a crap fest he inherited.

I guess we b

I guess we should prepare you for the future with Valium, hire you a psychologist to help you cope.

Gibson will be assigned the next HC job if Holgs leaves or is fired.

Perhaps you can flip to Marshall if it makes you feel good.

I’d tap the brakes there. Gibby would be considered, but I think we would be wary of going with a non-HC again like we did with Dana. That’s a lot of risk and growing pains

Dana wouldn't have a job at WVU if it weren't for Gibby.
I'm still trying to get use to the seemingly new phenomena that if a coach/assistant/coordinator/whatever has what is deemed as less than successful season or even game then, that person is subject to immediate termination. Obviously, we all know that the coaching carousel is not some new idea but, it just seems to be more immediate these days.

I'm still trying to get use to the seemingly new phenomena that if a coach/assistant/coordinator/whatever has what is deemed as less than successful season or even game then, that person is subject to immediate termination. Obviously, we all know that the coaching carousel is not some new idea but, it just seems to be more immediate these days.
No one has any patience today and just as one said in this thread there are "several" out there that can do better than Gibby or at least that's their belief. Not only do we not know if that's true you have to also consider who is available. Can WVU do better than Gibby? Perhaps but you better know you can get your guy before you fire the current coach.

As I said in my first reply it's crazy to suggest you would fire him before Dana when he's one of the biggest reasons Dana still has a job here. And Dana knows that.

Reactions: dbolt4wvu
No one has any patience today and just as one said in this thread there are "several" out there that can do better than Gibby or at least that's their belief. Not only do we not know if that's true you have to also consider who is available. Can WVU do better than Gibby? Perhaps but you better know you can get your guy before you fire the current coach.

As I said in my first reply it's crazy to suggest you would fire him before Dana when he's one of the biggest reason Dana still has a job here. And Dana knows that.

My point exactly, Vernon. I get the fact that CFB is a big money game now and everyone is scampering to grab that last dollar but, there seems to be a lack of substance in that philosophy.

We don't even have the opportunity to get to know our coaches before they are packed up and booted out. Gibby of course, doesn't fit into that category but, it would be nice to see what he can do with another class under his belt. I'm predicting some surprised people.

Gibby knows his stuff and is going to be great if he's given the time and patience. Not sure how anyone can base one.....not even BAD year as a cause for termination when his body of work has been pretty impressive so far.

Reactions: roadtrasheer

As I said in my first reply it's crazy to suggest you would fire him before Dana when he's one of the biggest reasons Dana still has a job here. And Dana knows that.

I am not trying to be contrary here, but WVU has tried the "know who your coach is going to be before he actually is" the last three coaches and only was a NC contender and he spread manure in his wake to leave town. I am not sure this approach has a good track record at WVU.

If Dana is truly still in his job because of Gibby (and I believe that is true just as you do) then we have a serious issue - and we do. It is pointless to discuss keeping Gibby or not, a new head coach always hires his own people and whether or not we as fans know of the new coaches pick, it does not matter. The only guy we need to "know" is in the one in the HC's chair. Right now that is Dana, but is it deserved? You say it isn't. No coach can deserve his job if he keeps it only because of a subordinate.

This has been my problem with Dana.

Rich was a perfect fit for WVU until his ego outgrew common sense. He has pretty much failed since his departure.

I think Dana is a good coach, not a great one and certainly not an NC caliber coach, no matter where he is working. But, he is not a fit for WVU. Nothing about him screams Mountaineer, or even offers a hint. A good fit for WVU doesn;t have to be a West Virginian by birth, but he does have to be one by heart and Dana's heart does not live here.

I am not trying to be contrary here, but WVU has tried the "know who your coach is going to be before he actually is" the last three coaches and only was a NC contender and he spread manure in his wake to leave town. I am not sure this approach has a good track record at WVU.

If Dana is truly still in his job because of Gibby (and I believe that is true just as you do) then we have a serious issue - and we do. It is pointless to discuss keeping Gibby or not, a new head coach always hires his own people and whether or not we as fans know of the new coaches pick, it does not matter. The only guy we need to "know" is in the one in the HC's chair. Right now that is Dana, but is it deserved? You say it isn't. No coach can deserve his job if he keeps it only because of a subordinate.

This has been my problem with Dana.

Rich was a perfect fit for WVU until his ego outgrew common sense. He has pretty much failed since his departure.

I think Dana is a good coach, not a great one and certainly not an NC caliber coach, no matter where he is working. But, he is not a fit for WVU. Nothing about him screams Mountaineer, or even offers a hint. A good fit for WVU doesn;t have to be a West Virginian by birth, but he does have to be one by heart and Dana's heart does not live here.

Actually, it's just that Dana's offense is not a fit for WVU. How Luck didn't see that is a mystery.

Gibson is pretty good coach. Just about any of his former players would say the same. Injuries caused some problems this season, along with loss of players. With recruiting the past two classes, Gibby is getting a ton of great players to work with.

I can't believe the unintelligent statements in the thread.

At first I thought it was just a thread to hook the suckers, but some on here are actually serious.

In full disclosure I played ball against Tony growing up and know his bro pretty well. Tony has shown he's a heck of a football coach and runs his defense better than Casteel ran it when Tony was coaching DBs. Of course back then the HC was taking every athlete he could for offense. Dana doesn't do that.

The best move Tony ever made was getting away from the Dick head in Zona and coming back to a HC who doesn't steal every athlete to turn them into a slot wr or backup qb. Tony has recruited a lot of players and this staff has developed them fast. He's a good coach and Dana in 2016 got his extension in large part because of that defense.

2018 should be a heck of a year. On paper it's the most optimistic I've been in 10+ seasons.

Last edited:
I

What leads you to this conclusion? Everything I've seen has indicated that Dana has embraced the state and it's culture since coming to Morgantown.

Regardless, on the list of qualities I want in a coach, being a WV'ian by heart is near the bottom of the list.

What leads you to this conclusion? Everything I've seen has indicated that Dana has embraced the state and it's culture since coming to Morgantown.

Regardless, on the list of qualities I want in a coach, being a WV'ian by heart is near the bottom of the list.

Perhaps you do not understand what I meant about being a West Virginia in their hearts, Don did; Rich did - which was a surprise since there was so much love for Rich taking up so much space in Rich's heart; Bill certainly did, heck even Bobby had it in his time and I think still does, others that are no longer with us did, but I don't get it from Dana. His heart, from my experience he has not changed since he walked into what he assumed and hoped was a stepping stone job.

I can't believe the unintelligent statements in the thread.

At first I thought it was just a thread to hook the suckers, but some on here are actually serious.

In full disclosure I played ball against Tony growing up and know his bro pretty well. Tony has shown he's a heck of a football coach and runs his defense better than Casteel ran it when Tony was coaching DBs. Of course back then the HC was taking every athlete he could for offense. Dana doesn't do that.

The best move Tony ever made was getting away from the Dick head in Zona and coming back to a HC who doesn't steal every athlete to turn them into a slot wr or backup qb. Tony has recruited a lot of players and this staff has developed them fast. He's a good coach and Dana in 2016 got his extension in large part because of that defense.

2018 should be a heck of a year. On paper it's the most optimistic I've been in 10+ seasons.

So everyone that holds a view different from yours is unintelligent? You must live in a world of one.

Perhaps you do not understand what I meant about being a West Virginia in their hearts, Don did; Rich did - which was a surprise since there was so much love for Rich taking up so much space in Rich's heart; Bill certainly did, heck even Bobby had it in his time and I think still does, others that are no longer with us did, but I don't get it from Dana. His heart, from my experience he has not changed since he walked into what he assumed and hoped was a stepping stone job.

I'm just wondering why you think that? Dana has said and done the right things from that perspective and from I can tell generally loves being where he is.

Funny you bring up Rich. Dude couldn't wait to get out of town and would interview at any school that looked his way.

I'm just wondering why you think that? Dana has said and done the right things from that perspective and from I can tell generally loves being where he is.

Funny you bring up Rich. Dude couldn't wait to get out of town and would interview at any school that looked his way.

I was never an RR fan, but he was a Mountaineer. He raised this program to a level that has not been seen since. The man had baggage and drama galore and I am one of those that think he threw the Pitt game. I am probably wrong but I would not put much past him. I could believe it if it were proven he did. However, his heart is here, regardless of what he did. He was poison to WVU at the end and he is paying the price for being stupid and is unlikely to ever be regarded as a great coach again. WVU can take some comfort in knowing that a man that has an incredibly large ego has to look back at his best days being at his home school, in a state he was regarded as the second coming and one he did all he could to trash in his exit.

There, have I been nasty enough to him for your liking?

If I could design the next coach, he would have the love of West Virginia from Bill Stewart, football knowledge and nobility from Don Nehlen and the skill set of RR. None of those qualities can be found in Dana.

Reactions: Rootmaster

When are you going to stop making excuses for Dana? The buck stops at the top.

Let's agree on this:
10-3 is on Dana.
4-8 is on Dana.
He's the CEO. He earns the credit and the fan displeasure.
Who thinks Dana does NOT want to go 12-0, win the Big 12 and the national playoffs? Get real.
Grier, obviously, is critical to the success in 2018, as he was in 2017.

I wouldn't get rid of a single coach since I don't have the authority. Offense and defense. They all stay just where they are. They keep making their weekly trips to Wells Fargo to drop off the booty. Warez

I was never an RR fan, but he was a Mountaineer. He raised this program to a level that has not been seen since. The man had baggage and drama galore and I am one of those that think he threw the Pitt game. I am probably wrong but I would not put much past him. I could believe it if it were proven he did. However, his heart is here, regardless of what he did. He was poison to WVU at the end and he is paying the price for being stupid and is unlikely to ever be regarded as a great coach again. WVU can take some comfort in knowing that a man that has an incredibly large ego has to look back at his best days being at his home school, in a state he was regarded as the second coming and one he did all he could to trash in his exit.

If I could design the next coach, he would have the love of West Virginia from Bill Stewart, football knowledge and nobility from Don Nehlen and the skill set of RR. None of those qualities can be found in Dana.

The jury is still out on HCDH. If he fails to contend for, and play in, the B12 title game with the horses he has coming back next season, then I will agree with you. And, the weak link may be the D. If that's so, then DH needs to consider a change. Next year will be a ''tell" for both.

Yeah, Rich Rod was a Mountaineer. Warez

You and I weren't watching the same offense last year. It was a big play or nothing offense, and Grier made plays to bail the unit out repeatedly. The offense could not sustain drives due to lack of good offensive line play. We will need all 11 Mountaineers on the offensive unit to play well if we hope to win big in 2018.

The whole premise of "get rid of" anyone is sickening.

My ex-wife tells folks that she 'got rid' of ole Warez. Well, let me tell you.............the day she 'got rid' of ole Warez was the day I got released from my probation. I have moved on and am proud to say that I no longer have a need for the smokey devil. Well, .................except for special occasions.......Warez

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT