ADVERTISEMENT

I wish we had opened with Delaware State instead of

I guess when you're an old buzzard 20 years isn't that long ago. Marshall was, at that time, a 1-AA team, so we played a team one division below us as a warm up game. It would be like oh, I don't know, wvu opening with a lower level team like say Marshall.

FIFY

Don't let me make you blow a gasket Banker.........this is all in fun, at least for those of us that realize how meaningless a smack board is.

Oh, I'm fine. I just want Dave to explain how wvu has played a tougher opponent in a tougher place. I'm just unclear of how you play someone tougher than the #1 ranked team. Maybe I missed you guys playing the Bears at Soldier Field in 1985 or something.

When was your return game?

If they "would have" gone there like they "should have" and "if only this" and "if only that", then Marshall "could have" won the game, provided that Cato didn't look like a deer in the headlights "or if" Pennington wasn't rusty, or "maybe if" Leftwich could have been there then "just maybe". BUT the Gators were just too " skeert" of playing Marshall at the Joan.

Actually, it was fine how it was, you broke it. Marshall and wvu both compete in Division 1 football at the FBS level. Same level.

Delaware State competes at the Division 1 level, but in FCS rather than FBS, a lower tier.

Hope this helps.

Actually, it was fine how it was, you broke it. Marshall and wvu both compete in Division 1 football at the FBS level. Same level.

Delaware State competes at the Division 1 level, but in FCS rather than FBS, a lower tier.

Hope this helps.

Same subdivision, but hardly the same level.

-

Hope this helps.

According to you, WVU and Marshall play on the same level and you criticize WVU for scheduling a team from FCS.......have you checked to see what level Morgan State plays at? You're trying too hard Banker..........you need to step away for a little while.

Oh, your right. We actually compete and win, you compete and lose. Two different levels.
So your level of competition in the worst league as nothing to do with your surficial success. We would have been undefeated playing your schedule last year while you would not have been bowl eligible. With a schedule rated #236 and not a single win inside of the top 65, hardly qualifies MVU as a good team.

Oh, your right. We actually compete and win, you compete and lose. Two different levels.

You should win playing in FBS and having a schedule weaker than many FCS schools. Your entire schedule is made up of P5 homecoming opponents.

If you'd played our schedule, you would have won 3 maybe 4 games. You didn't beat anybody ranked higher than 75 unless UConn slipped in there.

Different levels ... It's shown in SOS year after year and it's been shown head to head 12 times.

Reactions: WVU82
Marshall was, at that time, a 1-AA team, so we played a team one division below us as a warm up game.

What's the difference between Marshall's SOS back then compared to today? There were several FCS teams that had a tougher schedule than Marshall last year. How many "warm-ups" does one team need?

Reactions: CAK125
-

According to you, WVU and Marshall play on the same level and you criticize WVU for scheduling a team from FCS.......have you checked to see what level Morgan State plays at? You're trying too hard Banker..........you need to step away for a little while.

No, you are criticized for scheduling a terrible FCS team.

Different levels ... It's shown in SOS year after year and it's been shown head to head 12 times.

Since Marshall entered FBS

Marshall's average strength of schedule under Pruett: #106

Marshall's average strength of schedule under Snyder: #82

Marshall's average strength of schedule under Doc: #106

The Herd's worst seasons were under Mark Snyder....but Mark Snyder played against schedules that, on average, were 24 spots stronger than Pruett's or Doc's.

It's no coincidence that the Herd's best years, in the FBS, were in the years of its easiest schedules.

One time out of six, Marshall finished with double-digit wins with a schedule rated higher than 111th....That was 2001 when the Herd finished 11-2 and had a schedule rated at 93rd.

Hilarious watching them want to compare their road to the roads of P5 teams.

Reactions: WVU82
So your level of competition in the worst league as nothing to do with your surficial success. We would have been undefeated playing your schedule last year while you would not have been bowl eligible. With a schedule rated #236 and not a single win inside of the top 65, hardly qualifies MVU as a good team.

Wow, that post is full of, what do you guys call it? Oh yeah, conjecture.

Oh, and surficial? What our schedule have to do with the earth's surface?

No, you are criticized for scheduling a terrible FCS team.

Why? Nice little scrimmage game for a team that has a very tough schedule. Now, if your team's schedule is rated in the 100s to begin with, then yes...I could see it being criticized for scheduling another "gimme"...

Since Marshall entered FBS

Marshall's average strength of schedule under Pruett: #106

Marshall's average strength of schedule under Snyder: #82

Marshall's average strength of schedule under Doc: #106

The Herd's worst seasons were under Mark Snyder....but Mark Snyder played against schedules that, on average, were 24 spots stronger than Pruett's or Doc's.

It's no coincidence that the Herd's best years, in the FBS, were in the years of its easiest schedules.

One time out of six, Marshall finished with double-digit wins with a schedule rated higher than 111th....That was 2001 when the Herd finished 11-2 and had a schedule rated at 93rd.

Hilarious watching them want to compare their road to the roads of P5 teams.

Pure coincidence. Any other conclusion is pure conjecture on your part.

What our schedule have to do with the earth's surface?

Playing patsies week after week isn't near comparable to the rigors of playing tough teams week after week. Huge difference. I'm pretty sure you know enough about football to know that the wear and tear on a team differs tremendously when playing a schedule rated 130-something compared to a top 50 schedule.

A schedule can make all the difference in the world.

Why? Nice little scrimmage game for a team that has a very tough schedule. Now, if your team's schedule is rated in the 100s to begin with, then yes...I could see it being criticized for scheduling another "gimme"...

Yet you won't play Marshall because it hurts your SOS? Interesting. Almost makes it seem like you have other reasons, like you know we are not a warm up game.

Playing patsies week after week isn't near comparable to the rigors of playing tough teams week after week. Huge difference. I'm pretty sure you know enough about football that the wear and tear on a team differs tremendously when playing a schedule rated 130-something compared to a top 50 schedule.

I know. That's why you guys were under the illusion you were actually good in the watered down Big Least.

Wow, that post is full of, what do you guys call it? Oh yeah, conjecture.

Oh, and surficial? What our schedule have to do with the earth's surface?
It is shallow just like your mind. You played a lousy schedule and beat no one. But hey you got 10 wins against the sisters of the poor.

Playing patsies week after week isn't near comparable to the rigors of playing tough teams week after week. Huge difference. I'm pretty sure you know enough about football that the wear and tear on a team differs tremendously when playing a schedule rated 130-something compared to a top 50 schedule.

Who you play doesn't matter to the Herdzakistanis.......it's all about W's and L's to them.

Reactions: CAK125 and 30CAT
No, it doesn't. You guys had years where you only beat a couple teams with a winning record and crowed over your shared championships.

Well we actually proved we were good by winning three BCS games. Enough said. 0-12

My mind must be slipping.......someone remind me of how many BCS games Marshall was involved in. c'mon Banker, let's hear your explanation.

Last edited:
One quality win per year (several years ago) doesn't make wvu relevant either.
What is a quality win in MVU fan's mind? Beating a team with a winning record. Perhaps a top 50 team or a top 25 team? Please feel free to apply what ever standard you want to both our schedules and get back to us. First thing you will find in order to find a quality win for MVU, you will have to give credit to WVU for a multitude of quality wins. You really suck at this but you are persistent.

One quality win per year (several years ago) doesn't make wvu relevant either.

I gave you credit for the KSU win. That was quality. Not a BCS win but good none the less. Unfortunately for you the one and only quality win in your entire history of playing college football doesn't do much for you in terms of relevancy.

They'd beat the Yellow Jacket's much worse than they beat Delaware State....and that was a royal ass kicking! But you boys already know that , hence their appearance on the WVU slate! Man, Delaware State and KU in the same season...tough sledding to be sure!

Tony, as a Marshall fan you are not qualified to talk about a tough schedule. Your team is a cellar dweller in that department.

Tony, as a Marshall fan you are not qualified to talk about a tough schedule. Your team is a cellar dweller in that department.
No I do not think any of them understand that. They are delusional at best or just plain stupid at worst. They did not have one quality win last year.

You guys had years where you only beat a couple teams with a winning record and crowed over your shared championships.

Care to point out the seasons where WVU beat two teams with a winning record and then went on to share or win the Big East Championship?

I mean, for instance...Marshall beat two teams with a winning record last year, playing a schedule ranked 138th....Herd fans are still thumping their chests to this day, over that "miraculous accomplishment".....

Last edited:
One game wonders just like Boise, Utah, Houston, UCF, TCU and every other mid-major that won their big bowl game.
It is amazing the standard you apply to teams not named Marshall considering the greatness you apply to the school named Marshall provided that schools lack of proven success.

Care to point out the seasons where WVU beat two teams with a winning record and shared or won the Big East Championship?

I mean, for instance...Marshall beat two teams with a winning record last year, playing a schedule ranked 138th....Herd fans are still thumping their chests to this day, over that "miraculous accomplishment".....

Yeah, but they won 10 games.........to them it doesn't matter against who....that's why I refer to them as Herdiots.

Reactions: 30CAT
Care to point out the seasons where WVU beat two teams with a winning record and then went on to share or win the Big East Championship?

I'll do better than that,

I'll do better than that, in your "perfect season" of 1988 you only beat two teams with a winning record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT