ADVERTISEMENT

I want a new offense..

4everloyal

All-Conference
Jun 17, 2001
Charleston
I wanna go back to Major Harris and Pat White. Hell, even Hoss could(would) tuck the ball and run. Get some nasty lineman like Jozwiak and hardcore running backs (I think we have some good backs). I wanna play smash mouth. I don’t wanna EVER be stopped running the ball to some extent. This pass happy offense isn’t for me. It seems cheap and easy and causes players to be soft. I want mean, pound it down your throat football!

Forever loyal you said it right. This pass happy shit is 7-6 football. Dana sucks but his best team was with little Skyler Howard winning 10 games against a bad schedule.

Will Grier 2 year career here is going to be a bust.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Forever loyal you said it right. This pass happy shit is 7-6 football. Dana sucks but his best team was with little Skyler Howard winning 10 games against a bad schedule.

Will Grier 2 year career here is going to be a bust.

giphy.gif

I wanna go back to Major Harris and Pat White. Hell, even Hoss could(would) tuck the ball and run. Get some nasty lineman like Jozwiak and hardcore running backs (I think we have some good backs). I wanna play smash mouth. I don’t wanna EVER be stopped running the ball to some extent. This pass happy offense isn’t for me. It seems cheap and easy and causes players to be soft. I want mean, pound it down your throat football!
When you become a little more rational, read what you wrote and note that your comments are the result of disappointment and frustration.You admit with in text that you "...think we have some good backs..." so that negates much of you proposed solution to our problems. We are struggling to get a running game--pure and simple. Because of it ISU was able to drop 8 or so on most plays and negate our passing attack. Why the problems rushing the ball? Many answers have been proposed by numerous of our resident experts--poor OL, poor OL coaching, slow backs, poor play calling that has all runs going between guards, weakness at center and right guard, etc., etc, etc. We started the year with, potentially, 4 very good RBs and all having different type talent from the others. However, tonight I only recall seeing McKoy and Pettaway. Leddie Brown--injured? Sinkfield missing for the past several games (and our funk began about that same time. Coincidence?) I do not recall Bush playing tonight. If he did, his presence was unremarkable. Thus we have, once again, seen our RB stable reduced to a couple of plow horses--maybe great for their intended purposes but hardly confused with a thoroughbred or even a quarter horse. Can't blame recruiting. We have the makings of, as you note, a backfield of '...good backs...', but they have to be available to actually play to be of benefit. You seem to advocate having a QB who will win because he will '...tuck the ball and run...'. Yet, I vividly recall ALL the many comments last year regarding Will's broken finger and how DUMB it was for him to run that play or ever think of being a running QB. Your assessment of 'pass happy offenses' and that they are "...cheap and easy lead to soft players..." is downright silly. You might not like the wide open style and prefer tOSU plan of the 50's with Woody Hayes (3 yards and a cloud of dust), but a lot of folks have a greater appreciation for the broader appeal of football than that. Remember, I have also suggested we add the wishbone wrinkle to our running game (when ALL the back are, once again healthy). Would be interesting to see how it might fare for a few plays each game (IF we have a someone who could handle the option aspects).

Pat white wasnt smash mouth. It was ground game but not pound it down your throat.

We ran option with Howard.

Pat white wasnt smash mouth. It was ground game but not pound it down your throat.

We ran option with Howard.
His offensive team was. We ran on anyone we wanted too. More speed and slashing sure.. but that required lineman doing their job. Owen was definitely smash mouth

Reactions: RAK and Rootmaster
His offensive team was. We ran on anyone we wanted too. More speed and slashing sure.. but that required lineman doing their job. Owen was definitely smash mouth

It was a tempo spread option. Nothing smash mouth about it. Pat took snaps out of the gun.

The linemen were smaller and quicker, specifically because we werent playing a smash mouth style. RR used athletic lineman who could maintain pace.

We dont have a good enough OL. They've struggled all year. They were exploited yesterday in a major way, but what was really scary more than anything was no adjustment at all. Spav hasnt a clue what he's doing. Literally this guy couldnt be a good HS OC. He's terrible.

We need a new offense for sure. I've been over this one since Spav was hired. He is really a clueless joke.

We have a bunch of out of state offensive lineman. No WV boys on offensive line. We continue to let good offensive lineman out. Kid from Morgantown committed to Pitt cause WVU never offered. All the bigtime offensive lineman from Spring Valley and Huntington go out. WVU has a veteran offensive line that still sucks. They are all out of state stiffs. Leftover stiffs.

Spav sucks but Will Grier isn’t the god send he’s made up to be. The guy will leave here as a 2 year starter that went 7-6 and 8-5 or 9-4. Even if we end up 10-3 it’s a bust. Grier is no Major Harris, Pat White, Jeff Hoss

Will Grier will never be a starter in NFL. He’s a career backup at best. It’s time Dana starts ripping his ass too after 10 bad quarters in a row. Grier loves throwing vs bad defenses early in year. His draft status is slipping bad now. It should.

We have a bunch of out of state offensive lineman. No WV boys on offensive line. We continue to let good offensive lineman out. Kid from Morgantown committed to Pitt cause WVU never offered. All the bigtime offensive lineman from Spring Valley and Huntington go out. WVU has a veteran offensive line that still sucks. They are all out of state stiffs. Leftover stiffs.
"WVPride". Doubtful an apt handle! What you seem to portray as PRIDE some would call unreasonable bias and very backward thinking with application of childish logic. As I see it, this dribble is laced with thoughts tempered with no application of adult logic and appreciation of overlying fact and reason. Seems a true mark of the backwoods hick those from our State are so often accused of being. Shameful that there is such persistence from those among us who are so willing to 'prove' that which most residents are so dedicated to wiping out as a meaningless stereotype.

What did I say that’s not true? Really ask yourself. Truth often gets untold in our USA society. Look at politics.

How in the hell is crappy Louisville stealing top WV kids? The current Spring Valley kid is going to Louisville and the other to Ohio State and both are studs. Dorian Etheridge is currently a star at Louisville. He was a freak at Capital High. What the hell lol......geeezzzzz c’mon. No excuse. This kills our depth.

Dana thought the short whiteboy Switzer couldn’t get open in Big 12. Lol....geez

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
Will Grier isnt an NFL QB. No doubt about that.

The kid has the talent, but definitely has a lot to learn about handling pressure and not making poor decisions by giving up ground and taking a sack. He'll get his chance. Maybe with some real coaching and guidance he will be a serviceable NFL QB.

Grier is a poor mans Geno Smith. He’s also a poor mans Mason Ruldoph. NFL teams won’t pick Grier high. He will be a backup for 2-3 years and get cut. He is getting exposed.

"WVPride". Doubtful an apt handle! What you seem to portray as PRIDE some would call unreasonable bias and very backward thinking with application of childish logic. As I see it, this dribble is laced with thoughts tempered with no application of adult logic and appreciation of overlying fact and reason. Seems a true mark of the backwoods hick those from our State are so often accused of being. Shameful that there is such persistence from those among us who are so willing to 'prove' that which most residents are so dedicated to wiping out as a meaningless stereotype.
I know. It’s almost like he’s trolling.

Reactions: RoanokeVAEer
What did I say that’s not true? Really ask yourself. Truth often gets untold in our USA society. Look at politics.

How in the hell is crappy Louisville stealing top WV kids? The current Spring Valley kid is going to Louisville and the other to Ohio State and both are studs. Dorian Etheridge is currently a star at Louisville. He was a freak at Capital High. What the hell lol......geeezzzzz c’mon. No excuse. This kills our depth.

Dana thought the short whiteboy Switzer couldn’t get open in Big 12. Lol....geez
Most to which I refer relates to the venomous shots taken at various members of our team. Inferences that Dana will not recruit WV kids is laced with twisted truth. The kids have CHOSEN to NOT come to WVU (for reasons that reside solely with them). Dana did offer the 'short white boy' but, as I read the stories, did not stoop to kiss his royal rear and make him the earliest, highest priority that the kid and, maybe, family desired. Seems he was looking for an excuse and used any factoid as support of his decision. The OL kids from the Huntington area have seemed unwilling to give the WVU staff any thought of attending. That is their prerogative but not a fault that is reasonably assigned to the staff (a position you seem to lean toward). As has been said relative to nasty politics--never let a opportunity pass that can be used to make the object of your malice look bad.
BTW, it just caught my eye that your handle is WVPride304. I had misread it to be WVUPride304. Big difference. My bad for assuming you had pride in WVU and the athletic programs there.

Last edited:
I got pride for WVU and WV. We recruit lots of bad leftovers from out of state. We need to do a better job recruiting our own WV kids and giving them a shot. Why do our best offensive lineman go to Ohio State, Louisville, UNC, Tennessee, Pitt......WVU kills their own depth by chasing too many bad leftovers from the south and other states. Notice I said too many. Top LB in state the last 5 years went to Louisville. C’mon that’s rediculous. Stop failing so bad. No excuse.

WVU needs to totally give up on Florida and spend that time recruiting closer to home like WV and the border states. Florida no longer delivers to WVU much at all. Waste of $ and time. NC sucks for WVU as well. Total leftovers and NC leftovers suck.

I say..........get offen the players and take out your issue ........on the coaches. They are paid megabucks. The players get the leftovers and really they are the ones putting the Big Shew on! Warez

So are you still pimping fluffer hogorsen for that raise?
Even though I know you're incapable of abstract thought I will attempt to explain this to you. I said coaches tend to get paid not according to their average year but their best year. I said expect negotiations for a better contract if WVU has an exceptional season.

lol you wanna go back to a one dimensional offense with Pat White? Sorry son, but the game has changed. That run spread offense with a noodle arm Qb like Pat White is over. Defenses figured it out. Plus, this isn’t the Big East anymore. None of those guys you mentioned would’ve gone undefeated in the Big 12 with the teams they had at WVU.

And you would know this how?
I gather data from all that is said regarding their recruitment. Have not seemed enthusiastic toward our staff. (if I have missed glowing enforcement of WVU, the staff and program, please supply the documentation to me).

Even though I know you're incapable of abstract thought I will attempt to explain this to you. I said coaches tend to get paid not according to their average year but their best year. I said expect negotiations for a better contract if WVU has an exceptional season.
If you were capable of abstract thought you would wait until the end of the season to start talking about raises. Saying someone should be in line for a raise when he has only beaten weak competition is not abstract thinking. The abstract thinker knows that Fluffer Holgorsen coached teams go into the tank as the season goes on. Its only happened every year under this bums tenure. Maybe if you would get some of those bricks out of your head you would realize this.

Jeff Hostetler ran for a grand total of 96 yards in his 2 seasons at WVU......... averaged less than a yard per carry. 59 of those came in one game against Syracuse in 1982.....

the idea that Hoss "could tuck it and run it" is absurd.

Jeff Hostetler ran for a grand total of 96 yards in his 2 seasons at WVU......... averaged less than a yard per carry. 59 of those came in one game against Syracuse in 1982.....

the idea that Hoss "could tuck it and run it" is absurd.
I would’ve never guessed that. How many times did he scramble for yards though. I’m sure that yardage takes into account the loss from sacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT