ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't realize Grobe was from the mountains

Stewart should have never been hired. Again, it's not that it has to be a native, but we need someone that wants to stay and build.

As crazy as it sounds....I'm almost hoping for a Terry Bowden hire. Maybe he finds success like Huggy Bear, and stays for 10 yrs until retirement.....and we get that momentum once again? He won at Auburn....like 60 yrs ago! I just don't think Holgs will stay if he turns it around.

Honestly it would be great to see a successful coach stay at wvu but its unlikely. I think to many people got into the mindset that people stick around forever like Nehlen and Catlett. I doubt you'll ever see someone stay as long as those two did. The problem isn't unique to wvu. Spurrier and Meyer left Florida. Kiffin left Tennessee after one season. Saban left LSU for the NFl. Bill Obrian left Penn State after 2-3 years can't remember. Most of these fan bases felt scorned Just like we did. The best that you can do is try and find the best possible replacement. If Coach Dana has a good year and gets an offer he might leave but if he has a bad year he might get fired. It wasn't to along ago if you remember that people said that wvu would never fire a coach. I applaud coach Beamer for sticking around but he was old school. I don't think your going to see as allot of that in today's world unless philosophies change.

Honestly it would be great to see a successful coach stay at wvu but its unlikely. I think to many people got into the mindset that people stick around forever like Nehlen and Catlett. I doubt you'll ever see someone stay as long as those two did. The problem isn't unique to wvu. Spurrier and Meyer left Florida. Kiffin left Tennessee after one season. Saban left LSU for the NFl. Bill Obrian left Penn State after 2-3 years can't remember. Most of these fan bases felt scorned Just like we did. The best that you can do is try and find the best possible replacement. If Coach Dana has a good year and gets an offer he might leave but if he has a bad year he might get fired. It wasn't to along ago if you remember that people said that wvu would never fire a coach. I applaud coach Beamer for sticking around but he was old school. I don't think your going to see as allot of that in today's world unless philosophies change.
Everyone has their own opinion, but IMO I don't want a coach staying as long as Nehlen and Catlett unless they are winning NC's. My reasoning, the program becomes stale with no progress. Under Nehlen, we got very stale with seemingly a lack of hunger and desire. It was almost like we became content and the program was in cruise control.

Reactions: Boomboom521
Everyone has their own opinion, but IMO I don't want a coach staying as long as Nehlen and Catlett unless they are winning NC's. My reasoning, the program becomes stale with no progress. Under Nehlen, we got very stale with seemingly a lack of hunger and desire. It was almost like we became content and the program was in cruise control.

I agree. I think that a coach has to be held to a certain standard. If a coach comes in and has some good years pretty quickly and there is a dip i think he should be given some leeway but not to the extent where the dip is allowed to become the norm

If WVU offered you a top position in your field, and the impact would / could make WVU a better university, would you consider it? Even for less money?

Fisher didn't attend WVU I don't think, but all over the state we grow up Mountaineers.
Fisher went to Salem.

I don't think there is any scenario in which Stewart at HC made sense. I wanted him to be retained as an Ass. HC, but his only record at HC was a failure at VMI.
Haven't all coaches at VMI been failures? Bills hiring, AND his replacement were bush league affairs that were not very professional.

Reactions: Woody in Helvetia
I agree. I think that a coach has to be held to a certain standard. If a coach comes in and has some good years pretty quickly and there is a dip i think he should be given some leeway but not to the extent where the dip is allowed to become the norm
I agree with you. It's the reason I am still giving Holgs some more time. His recruiting has taken a good turn, and although he failed to compete with the big boys last season, we are starting to look like a Big 12 contender. I think there was some work to do, and he's starting to pull his weight

I agree with you. It's the reason I am still giving Holgs some more time. His recruiting has taken a good turn, and although he failed to compete with the big boys last season, we are starting to look like a Big 12 contender. I think there was some work to do, and he's starting to pull his weight
Agreed. People are impatient and fail to understand where WVU was as a Big East program trying to compete in a new conference like the Big 12. If WVU were to join the NFL, these fans would ridicule the coach for going 0-16. And never accept the tremendous upgrade in competition.

Agreed. People are impatient and fail to understand where WVU was as a Big East program trying to compete in a new conference like the Big 12. If WVU were to join the NFL, these fans would ridicule the coach for going 0-16. And never accept the tremendous upgrade in competition.
I'm a little concerned about the lack of improvement at QB, and what seems to be his inability to retain assistants. Gibson was a good move though, as well as Wickline this season. I know he took a chance on DeForest, and sometimes chances don't work out, but it seems like there is just too many changes?

However, he's never been shy about letting people know he just wasn't happy with the talent level at certain positions and our overall depth. This season he is saying different things about both. I think he feels things are coming together. Still not sold on Howard, but there's competition there with Chugs and Sills.

I think Beamer will go down as one of the greatest coaches in CFB history. He chose to build VT from tough times. You build boosters, you build reputation, you help build high school programs within the state, and you make a program a la Bowden @ FSU, Paterno @ PSU, Majors @ PITT. Make something your own? No? I think it would interest me

You better hope the ghost of Rip Engel doesn't read that "Paterno @ PSU" line. He's been screaming from the grave for the past six years, "I knew old Coke Bottles and high waters would screw up my football program. Never hire a Coney Island midget barker to coach football."

Grobe is from Huntington and at one time coached at Marsha. They claim him so that's prolly why you never made the connection. Besides, Huntington is not the mountains.

Grobe is from Huntington and at one time coached at Marsha. They claim him so that's prolly why you never made the connection. Besides, Huntington is not the mountains.
Why is it that every time I feel like a good conversation is started in a thread on here it inevitably ends up with simple negativity. "Besides, Huntington is not the mountains"..... I call my home state the mountains, because even the low points are foothills (I think Huntington is around 500ft). WV is all Appalachia, and the mountains are what created our state.

Why is it that every time I feel like a good conversation is started in a thread on here it inevitably ends up with simple negativity. "Besides, Huntington is not the mountains"..... I call my home state the mountains, because even the low points are foothills (I think Huntington is around 500ft). WV is all Appalachia, and the mountains are what created our state.

Sorry Dude, didn't mean to get your panties in a wad. Have you ever been to Huntington. It's situated along the Ohio River. Flat as a pancake. They had to build a flood wall around the town because the Ohio River often flooded it's banks. But you're right...Huntington is 564 feet above sea level! [thumbsup]

Sorry Dude, didn't mean to get your panties in a wad. Have you ever been to Huntington. It's situated along the Ohio River. Flat as a pancake. They had to build a flood wall around the town because the Ohio River often flooded it's banks. But you're right...Huntington is 564 feet above sea level! [thumbsup]
Youre right, the two posts clarifying Fishers alma mater, and your well founded attack on my state nickname (one that is so unfounded) added a lot to the conversation. Thanks.

Head west. It makes all of WV look flat, in comparison.

Read Waiting for the Fall. If accurate, Garrison didn't want Stewart, but Pastilong and Machin were pushing for it and Garrison said he didn't have much of a choice. He wanted to do a better search and had a list of quality candidates. I think Skip Holtz was the front runner, for Garrison.

Stewart was more cut throat than he showed (which isn't a bad thing).

Read Waiting for the Fall. If accurate, Garrison didn't want Stewart, but Pastilong and Machin were pushing for it and Garrison said he didn't have much of a choice. He wanted to do a better search and had a list of quality candidates. I think Skip Holtz was the front runner, for Garrison.

Stewart was more cut throat than he showed (which isn't a bad thing).
I read the book about 3 years ago. May not be 100% accurate from cover to cover but I believe Garrison in that instance. Why else hire a coach and announce a presser at 2 AM 2000 miles from campus? The handling of the presser and the way it was done was not good PR or professional. Hurt credibility and undermined Stewart too.

Personally I don't think given the history since then that Skip Holtz would have been a good hire. What a mess at Diectional FL #1! LA Tech ain't been stellar either. He is a Mr Spoc, not Captain Kirk.

And was Marshall's linebackers coach in 1979-83.

While we're on that subject of West Virginians in coaching:

Carl Tacy - college basketball coach

Any up and coming football assistants?

I don't know about football but Huggins seems to be doing a nice job of setting his players up for coaching careers.

RR assistants were getting some real attention for awhile.

Our Athletic Coaching major might pay off some day (stop laughing!).

Jim Grobe did a fantastic job at Ohio University, and should have passed on the Wake offer, and waited for a better opportunity. O.U. was rarely competitive in the MAC before he arrived, and has been much better ever since. It will be interesting to see what Grobe is able to do with better players at Baylor, assuming that all of them don't leave, that is.

If WVU offered you a top position in your field, and the impact would / could make WVU a better university, would you consider it? Even for less money?

Fisher didn't attend WVU I don't think, but all over the state we grow up Mountaineers.
Sorry, seeing how this state has operated almost since its inception, if I'm offered good money elsewhere, I would take it. I love WVU but I despise WV and will continue to thanks to the morons being elected to office here.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
It's OK for a coach to stick around WVU for a long time.........................providing he is winning the National Championship every year or thereabouts. That's all ole Warez is saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT