ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't realize Grobe was from the mountains

Boomboom521

All-American
Mar 14, 2014
Although unsuccessful overall, I thought Grobe did a good job of building Wake into a contender for the ACC. I liked the integrity behind making all freshman redshirt (seemed to put academics higher?).
I think it's crazy that Saban, Fisher, and Rich Rod are all natives of the mountains, yet none of them covet the job of HC in our beloved program. Why? Is it simply money, recruiting, facilities? Have out AD's just failed us in landing one of the big fish? Pastalong got us RR prior to both of their exits, but RR left us like an abusive boyfriend!

Other than asking why one of these 3 successful coaches aren't in gold and blue, I'd like to know what other coaches are from WV???

Although unsuccessful overall, I thought Grobe did a good job of building Wake into a contender for the ACC. I liked the integrity behind making all freshman redshirt (seemed to put academics higher?).
I think it's crazy that Saban, Fisher, and Rich Rod are all natives of the mountains, yet none of them covet the job of HC in our beloved program. Why? Is it simply money, recruiting, facilities? Have out AD's just failed us in landing one of the big fish? Pastalong got us RR prior to both of their exits, but RR left us like an abusive boyfriend!

Other than asking why one of these 3 successful coaches aren't in gold and blue, I'd like to know what other coaches are from WV???
I know Doc is btw, and he seemed to covet WVU, but that ship has sailed. Trickett....one of the best OL coaches in the country. And of course, the Bowden boys. But none would be a good choice now.

I think it's crazy that Saban, Fisher, and Rich Rod are all natives of the mountains, yet none of them covet the job of HC in our beloved program. Why? Is it simply gmoney, recruiting, facilities? Have out AD's just failed us in landing one of the big fish? Pastalong got us RR prior to both of their exits, but RR left us like an abusive boyfriend!

Well, Saban and Fisher are doing just fine where they are so why would they want to move? Who is this Rich Rod you speak of. Even his home town has forgotten him!
Where is Grobe from? I spent a lot of time in the Winston-Salem area and I always liked the Wake program. The fans are a little wine & cheese but good people. The school, albeit small, is pretty cool too.

Several reasons. For a long time, WVU has had problems committing to keeping up with the big boys. Some due to lack of finances before joining the Big 12, others mostly due to stubbornness and incompetence from administrators and boosters like John Raese and Joe Manchin. These two examples bully their way around the program. WVU has run off people like Rich Rod and Oliver Luck. Ask yourself if you were a top coach like Saban; would you come here? Or stay here?

Well, Saban and Fisher are doing just fine where they are so why would they want to move? Who is this Rich Rod you speak of. Even his home town has forgotten him!
Where is Grobe from? I spent a lot of time in the Winston-Salem area and I always liked the Wake program. The fans are a little wine & cheese but good people. The school, albeit small, is pretty cool too.
Good reply! He is from Huntington. And I know it would be almost impossible to walk away from NC's at Bama and FSU, but you know they both began loving football cheering for the 'eers. Why not come home to try to build a winner?

Several reasons. For a long time, WVU has had problems committing to keeping up with the big boys. Some due to lack of finances before joining the Big 12, others mostly due to stubbornness and incompetence from administrators and boosters like John Raese and Joe Manchin. These two examples bully their way around the program. WVU has run off people like Rich Rod and Oliver Luck. Ask yourself if you were a top coach like Saban; would you come here? Or stay here?

I see the case for RR but not sure Ollie was run off. There really wasn't much more he could accomplish

I think he's been very successful. He's a different kind of coach, and for what he does, he does very well.

A good person to bring in for this situation. I didn't know he was from WV either.

Regarding your real question, I just think everyone naturally does what's best for themselves and with the exception of RR, it's hard to argue they made any wrong decisions.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
I think he's been very successful. He's a different kind of coach, and for what he does, he does very well.

A good person to bring in for this situation. I didn't know he was from WV either.

Regarding your real question, I just think everyone naturally does what's best for themselves and with the exception of RR, it's hard to argue they made any wrong decisions.

I don't understand what people have against Grobe. He took wake to the Orange bowl. He was hired on an Interim basis and to guide them through the next several months not to be Briles permanent replacement

I did because several on here were pining for Jim to "come home" when Rod left.

why would either want to leave the pinnacle of success and take a step back when they are exactly where they want to be? Saban is not an alumni and Fisher has Florida to sell to recruits. Along with some other baggage, not sure how well he would do selling WV. There are very few coaches who have any so-called loyalty to their home state and are willing to make it a destination stop. I don't think these two fall in that category.

why would either want to leave the pinnacle of success and take a step back when they are exactly where they want to be? Saban is not an alumni and Fisher has Florida to sell to recruits. Along with some other baggage, not sure how well he would do selling WV. There are very few coaches who have any so-called loyalty to their home state and are willing to make it a destination stop. I don't think these two fall in that category.

How many of us have left our home towns and states to find our own success never to return to the places we were raised?

RR was the one that hurts. Did Jimbo attend WVU?

I think Beamer will go down as one of the greatest coaches in CFB history. He chose to build VT from tough times. You build boosters, you build reputation, you help build high school programs within the state, and you make a program a la Bowden @ FSU, Paterno @ PSU, Majors @ PITT. Make something your own? No? I think it would interest me

Reactions: WESTBGVA
How many of us have left our home towns and states to find our own success never to return to the places we were raised?

If WVU offered you a top position in your field, and the impact would / could make WVU a better university, would you consider it? Even for less money?

Fisher didn't attend WVU I don't think, but all over the state we grow up Mountaineers.

West Virginia... often said to be the "cradle of coaches", keeps proving that in interesting ways.

If WVU offered you a top position in your field, and the impact would / could make WVU a better university, would you consider it? Even for less money?

Fisher didn't attend WVU I don't think, but all over the state we grow up Mountaineers.

I'd consider it, but I know what my answer would be - No.

I didn't grow up in WV but the answer would be no. No to WVU and no to my home state. If they need me that bad they can pay me what I know I'm worth.

I couldn't wait to get out of my home town with no stop light in NY and landed in Boston and, then, Atlanta. I did, however, consider buying a 400 acre farm in WV just because of my love for the state. It is my home in my soul and it will never leave me. I'll coach if you'll have me!

I'd consider it, but I know what my answer would be - No.

I didn't grow up in WV but the answer would be no. No to WVU and no to my home state. If they need me that bad they can pay me what I know I'm worth.
There is worth to where you work, whom you work for, and why. Might not show up on a w-2, but worth something valuable none the less.

There is worth to where you work, whom you work for, and why. Might not show up on a w-2, but worth something valuable none the less.

You're absolutely right, and last I checked WVU was a multi-billion dollar entity, with enormous assets and a growing endowment which doesn't pay a single dime in taxes on any of their property with an enrollment that keeps getting bigger.

Sorry mom, but save your guilt trip. It won't work on me.

People work and live where they feel comfortable and where they can make a living. There are allot of nice places to live in this country

Good reply! He is from Huntington. And I know it would be almost impossible to walk away from NC's at Bama and FSU, but you know they both began loving football cheering for the 'eers. Why not come home to try to build a winner?

And was Marshall's linebackers coach in 1979-83.

While we're on that subject of West Virginians in coaching:

Last edited:

A person or more said on here maybe around the time Fraud left that Grobe would never, ever be allowed to be the coach at WVU. He was adamant in that and adamant about not saying why. All he said was that there was a specific reason why he would not be hired and he would not hint at all.

A person or more said on here maybe around the time Fraud left that Grobe would never, ever be allowed to be the coach at WVU. He was adamant in that and adamant about not saying why. All he said was that there was a specific reason why he would not be hired and he would not hint at all.
As soon as Dana leaves, Grobe will be coveted along with every WV native at this level around the country. It's all that matters. Natives lol

Jimbo is from Clarksburg. He was recruited by and played for Terry Bowden at Salem College. He later followed Terry to Samford and played for him there.

Terry got Jimbo his first coaching gig and later helped him get hired at Florida State where he coached for Bobby Bowden.

As soon as Dana leaves, Grobe will be coveted along with every WV native at this level around the country. It's all that matters. Natives lol
I want someone that wants to be at WVU. When coaches leave and use WVU as a stepping stone, it condemns us to lower level. Say what you want, but VT BECAME a national contender under Beamer, Miami BECAME a national contender under Schelenberger. It doesn't have to be a native, but WV isn't Florida and just isn't a prime place to build a dynasty. However, neither is Pittsburg or Blacksburg for that matter. Holgs will probably leave if he has a great season next year. Huggins is a native, and successful, and he isn't going anywhere until retirement. That makes us look like a program that is a national contender.....to recruits, to fans, to the media..... it matters. I'm hoping there is an assistant out there (MAYBE Gibby) that has WV ties and just wants to he here to win.....NOT TO MOVE ON AND BECOME A LEGEND. Yes, there is a little Rich Rod hate peppering this post.

Thank you for addressing my question. I always thought that Pastalong really was a horrible AD. I know he took the program to higher places than when he took it over, but I felt there was a "good ole boys" kind of thing going on in his regime. His contentment with Catlett and Neilein was, at times to me, ridiculous. And the lack of commitment to facilities was frustrating. Maybe the boosters had more to do with it than I thought? Maybe Hardesty? It just always seemed like one step forward - two steps back. I'm just floored that Rodriguez, Trickett, Casteel all slipped away, and Fisher was never brought in with an offer he couldn't refuse. I always put the blame on Pastalong (even more than RR) for not capitalizing on our success under RR.

I want someone that wants to be at WVU. When coaches leave and use WVU as a stepping stone, it condemns us to lower level. Say what you want, but VT BECAME a national contender under Beamer, Miami BECAME a national contender under Schelenberger. It doesn't have to be a native, but WV isn't Florida and just isn't a prime place to build a dynasty. However, neither is Pittsburg or Blacksburg for that matter. Holgs will probably leave if he has a great season next year. Huggins is a native, and successful, and he isn't going anywhere until retirement. That makes us look like a program that is a national contender.....to recruits, to fans, to the media..... it matters. I'm hoping there is an assistant out there (MAYBE Gibby) that has WV ties and just wants to he here to win.....NOT TO MOVE ON AND BECOME A LEGEND. Yes, there is a little Rich Rod hate peppering this post.

So do I but history is not on WVU's side. Name a coach who was a winner in a major way and stayed. Not Carlen. Not Bobby Bowden. Not Rodriguez. And Nehlen only stayed because the Ohio State discussions fell through. He was ready to go, too. WVU has been a stepping stone in football forever. We'd have much better luck getting West Virginians and former Mountaineers returning in other sports -- Fred Schaus for example.

Bill Stewart was a West Virginian and WVU was his dream job. I think we know how that turned out.

Same could be said for basketball coaches Sonny Moran, Joey Gardner and Gale Catlett.

Bill Stewart was a West Virginian and WVU was his dream job. I think we know how that turned out.

Same could be said for basketball coaches Sonny Moran, Joey Gardner and Gale Catlett.

There's no one, West Virginian or otherwise, who has won big at WVU and remained at WVU. No one! I'd say that's a pattern. A pattern I don't like, but can't ignore. But I would take anyone, even Dana, if they could win the Big 12 and get WVU into the national playoffs, then leave. Just once, a national title.

Bill Stewart was a good man but a journeyman position coach and should have never been hired as head coach. That was Pastilong taking care of a friend and not his charge which was WVU.

I can still remember my jaw on my chest when it was announced he was being hired as head coach. I remember thinking everything that was done to build WVU was just undone with one drunken decision by an AD and a President that should have never been hired in the first place.

Bill Stewart was a good man but a journeyman position coach and should have never been hired as head coach. That was Pastilong taking care of a friend and not his charge which was WVU.

I can still remember my jaw on my chest when it was announced he was being hired as head coach. I remember thinking everything that was done to build WVU was just undone with one drunken decision by an AD and a President that should have never been hired in the first place.
I agree. That was momentum that we might never produce. RR leaving was devastating, but we could have at least capitalized with a solid hire there. I'm not saying we could have gotten Jimbo at that point, but an up and coming coach would have ran with that momentum. Were Pastilong and Hardesty just living in the past, thinking Stewart being a WV native and "plain spoken" would subdue our fanbase into accepting mediocrity once again?

Stewart should have never been hired. Again, it's not that it has to be a native, but we need someone that wants to stay and build.

As crazy as it sounds....I'm almost hoping for a Terry Bowden hire. Maybe he finds success like Huggy Bear, and stays for 10 yrs until retirement.....and we get that momentum once again? He won at Auburn....like 60 yrs ago! I just don't think Holgs will stay if he turns it around.

Last edited:
I agree. That was momentum that we might never produce. RR leaving was devastating, but we could have at least capitalized with a solid hire there. I'm not saying we could have gotten Jimbo at that point, but an up and coming coach would have ran with that momentum. Were Pastilong and Hardesty just living in the past, thinking Stewart being a WV native and "plain spoken" would subdue our fanbase into accepting mediocrity once again?

I would have been ok with the Stewart hire if they would have shelled out the money and kept Magee running the offense. Hired a good offensive line coach instead of Johnson.

Everything about Stewarts hire and his subsequent hires on offense was a travesty.

Reactions: Boomboom521
I would have been ok with the Stewart hire if they would have shelled out the money and kept Magee running the offense. Hired a good offensive line coach instead of Johnson.

Everything about Stewarts hire and his subsequent hires on offense was a travesty.
I don't think there is any scenario in which Stewart at HC made sense. I wanted him to be retained as an Ass. HC, but his only record at HC was a failure at VMI.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Stewart should have never been hired. Again, it's not that it has to be a native, but we need someone that wants to stay and build.

As crazy as it sounds....I'm almost hoping for a Terry Bowden hire. Maybe he finds success like Huggy Bear, and stays for 10 yrs until retirement.....and we get that momentum once again? He won at Auburn....like 60 yrs ago! I just don't think Holgs will stay if he turns it around.

There isnt a Bowden I would want.

Hardesty wasn't the president it was Mike Garrison

From 1 side of the fence I was told Jimbo would have been hired and/or gladly taken the Head Coaching Job at WVU in Dec 2007 had WVU not got hung up on a $250k bonus in the contract for winning the National Championship (pretty obvious which side I heard it from -and yes I'd trust it).

FSU got wind of it and well between that and Jimmy Sexton, it was over. Jimbo would have probably left for an SEC job (Auburn) by 2010 or by 2016 (LSU) cause he'd have done a lot vs WVUs opponents in 2008-2010 and he'd have been better from 2011-2015 vs those schedules. Of course he'd probably have us on probation too and just say "that's ball" lol.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
RR left his alma mater after the Pitt debacle and left a team that could have challenged for a national title again.

RR is a piece of shit.

I was responding to the Punisheer statement that Wvu has failed to conduct business in a manner that would want a successful coach to stick around. I think Pastilong and Garrison ran the athletic department like it was a small time mom and pop operation. In the modern day of Big time college athletics you have to give coaches what they want. I know there comes a time when you've maxed yourself out but I don't believe that was the case in this situation. I don't excuse RR's behavior and the way he left but I hold the AD and president equally responsible for not trying to seek common ground. Until Wvu has another hot commodity in football or basketball we won't know what lessons where learned if any from that situation.

From 1 side of the fence I was told Jimbo would have been hired and/or gladly taken the Head Coaching Job at WVU in Dec 2007 had WVU not got hung up on a $250k bonus in the contract for winning the National Championship (pretty obvious which side I heard it from -and yes I'd trust it).

FSU got wind of it and well between that and Jimmy Sexton, it was over. Jimbo would have probably left for an SEC job (Auburn) by 2010 or by 2016 (LSU) cause he'd have done a lot vs WVUs opponents in 2008-2010 and he'd have been better from 2011-2015 vs those schedules. Of course he'd probably have us on probation too and just say "that's ball" lol.
That's exactly what I was told as well. In fact, there were posters on here saying this at the time it was happening. It's hard to say what would've happened had Jimbo come to WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT