ADVERTISEMENT

How To Blow 18 Point Leads -- By Bob Huggins

I am SO proud of this team

Like the crazy, armless, legless guy in Monty Python, they keep fighting. With the 2nd team left at the end of the game (2 hurt to start the game, 3 foul out) and they're still scrapping till the very end.

Amazing that Kansas had to make a comeback to even get into overtime against a bunch of guys who should have been blown out of the arena, except they had a heart that wouldn't quit.

If Staten and Browne are back, WVU is a team you don't want to meet in the Big 12 or March Madness. Hell, I think even Kentucky might be in trouble against WVU.

CUYAHOGA FALLS EERS

When you know you are the less talented team (which we clearly were with Staten and Browne out), it is a common tactic in basketball to limit the number of possessions. The more possessions, the more the game will trend toward the expected outcome (KU +10 per 40 minutes).

Huggs outcoached Bill Self last night.

Re: I am SO proud of this team

Kansas really had a horrible shooting night. I mean did they even make a jump shot? We were cruising, They lost Ellis and Selden could barely play, they were wore out by the end of the first half......Wvu played lights out offense in the first half, the best offensive half for a long time......Bottom line: He let them play in the first half, in the second half he handcuffed them.....The OP is correct......99% would agree, all except the Sunshine Boys....We attacked the rim in the first, in the second, back to our high/low with no spacing.....Huggins had coached several good halves in a row or more than usual, but last night was the main reason for a 35 point turn around.......

what if I told you WVU attempted as many or more shots in the 2nd half? Would that debunk your "we stalled" theory?

We ran clock a lot of times, but we were STILL getting as many, and just as good, shot attempts as the 1st half.

The difference is we didn't convert, and we stopped rebounding on offense.

But, I mean........... you're not interested in actual facts from the game.

I think Keaton, aside from Huggins going in the tank, and I hate to even bring this up, as this would usually be Taboo to me, was that the officials actually played a big roll in the turn around.....

Originally posted by robEERt:

We lost it in regulation at the foul line.
This. And anyone who didn't expect Kansas to claw their way back into the game just has not paid attention to Kansas at home during the Self era.

The very fact that this team was in position to win in the last couple of minutes (at Kansas) was an achievement. We had chances at the foul line and we blew a couple of possessions coming down the stretch. That was the difference in the game.

There has been no bigger critic of Huggs than me the last few years. But he had his depleted team ready to play in absolutely one of the toughest venues going. It sucks that we lost. We snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. But I'm not blaming Huggs for anything in this loss.

Originally posted by KeatonsCorner:
what if I told you WVU attempted as many or more shots in the 2nd half? Would that debunk your "we stalled" theory?

We ran clock a lot of times, but we were STILL getting as many, and just as good, shot attempts as the 1st half.

The difference is we didn't convert, and we stopped rebounding on offense.

But, I mean........... you're not interested in actual facts from the game.

There's never ever, ever in the history of mankind truer words spoken....... all many of these guys know about the game of basketball is if the ball goes in the basket, and it's the same thing in football, all they know is if the ball crosses the goal-line.

......and btw, I don't know for sure because I didn't see it, but I've been told by a guy who was at the game that our guy was held during that thrown-away inbounds pass, and according to the same guy, that play was wide, wide open for an uncontested basket. Said that Huggins caught the Jayhawks cold on that one....... take it for what it's worth, but that's what the man told me, and Hell, he's a Kansas guy.
smokin.r191677.gif

LOL We lost to the #9 team on their home court in overtime at a place in which they just don't lose (.918 winning% over the last 5 years & 24 straight home wins). We're 22-8 in the #1 rated rpi conference, ranked #20 & headed to the NCAA tournament. If you don't like that, then you need to find a blue blood to root for because no other coach is going to be better than getting us to NCAA tourney bids in 6 out of 8 seasons. There isn't a coach that we can get that can do any better than that. So go root for someone that can get one of those coaches mainly because when they open the door, 4 & 5 star recruits knock each other over trying to run in. UK, Duke, Kansas etc. will always have the bandwagon open.

He gets it. Those less knowledgeable don't.

Originally posted by Jp WVU:
When you know you are the less talented team (which we clearly were with Staten and Browne out), it is a common tactic in basketball to limit the number of possessions. The more possessions, the more the game will trend toward the expected outcome (KU +10 per 40 minutes).

Huggs outcoached Bill Self last night.
ALL the odds were stacked against the Mountaineers. But the fire and fight and the fear that the press put into Kansas, which couldn't make a 3 if their lives depended on it and which threw away or had the ball stolen a ton of times, was awesome to watch for a team that didn't have its two best ball-handlers, lost 3 more via fouling out, and still scared the crap out of a team that NEVER loses at home.

I'm thinking Kansas doesn't want to play WVU again in the Big 12 tournament. The Big 12 may have to into the 3rd or 4th tiebreaker to figure out the seeds, too. What an awesome conference, just like the Big East of olden days. Maybe these conferennces are so great because they have WVU in them?

CUYAHOGA FALLS EERS

You need to represent Sunny Buck a little better.....you sound like you have no clue. Or at least take the "Buckhannon" out of your handle...

"We ran clock a lot of times, but we were STILL getting as many, and just as good, shot attempts as the 1st half." -- Keaton

If you think that we were getting good shot attempts after we slowed it down....then I don't know what to tell you.

You really don't understand the game...but go ask Painted...he knows the game...he will even tell you he does.

Are you saying Huggs went into the 'prevent' offense with 5 minutes left? If you are saying that ................ then I must agree. Run what brung you! That's my feelings on the issue. Warez

Originally posted by WVUFanForever:
"We ran clock a lot of times, but we were STILL getting as many, and just as good, shot attempts as the 1st half." -- Keaton

If you think that we were getting good shot attempts after we slowed it down....then I don't know what to tell you.

You really don't understand the game...but go ask Painted...he knows the game...he will even tell you he does.
Wrong again, shithead....... Ole Paint didn't tell you he knows the game, what Ole Paint told you was THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE GAME.
smokin.r191677.gif

I dunno....you were pretty adamant that you know the game well in an earlier post.

But if you say you don't really understand the game...I will just go with that.

"Shithead" is pretty original too...did you think that all up by yourself or did you need Keaton's help?

I dunno....you were pretty adamant that you know the game well in an earlier post.

But if you say you don't really understand the game...I will just go with that.

"Shithead" is pretty original too...did you think that all up by yourself or did you need Keaton's help?
No, Keaton had nothing to do with it, I've never met the guy, I just call 'em as I see 'em......... and you certainly appear to be a 'shithead' to me.
smokin.r191677.gif

....................or maybe I should "Blame the Coach" for coming up with it.
confused0006.r191677.gif

If I came up with a list of coaches that have blown 18 point or bigger leads this season....I bet it wouldn't be a very big list.

But I am starting to like you Paint...in a non-sexual way of course...

How many coaches have built an 18-pt lead on Kansas?

WVUFan, I'm not sure why I even post here ... you are unable to rationally analyze a situation. You only focus on the negative.

It's easy to hone in on certain aspects of last night's game that sucked, but step back and view the game as a whole ... It was a one point game with a depleted roster and most would agree that we were on the wrong side of several 50/50 calls down the stretch.

I see no reason to come on here and whine every time we lose a game and say that WVU will be better without Huggs or whatever it is you say.

If you're simply trolling ... then well done, you got me.

If I came up with a list of coaches that have blown 18 point or bigger leads this season....I bet it wouldn't be a very big list.

But I am starting to like you Paint...in a non-sexual way of course...
While you're at it...... come up with a list of coaches that build an 18 point lead or bigger on a team the caliber of Kansas and were playing at the opponents home site this season.
smokin.r191677.gif

........good, everyone likes to be liked, but we'd never get along, you see, the first thing I look for in people is intelligence.
sign0011.r191677.gif

I dunno...I can work the Sudoku in the paper each day pretty fast.

The thing is, I think we both want the best for WVU basketball....I just don't think we are doing that at the current moment.

Its okay that you have the wrong opinion about the current coaching regime being it.

The kids played hard in a very tough venue, with an under-manned team. Awesome effort. We couldn't close the deal though. We blew an 18 pt. lead, but still had a chance to win the game if we make our free throws down the stretch. Didn't get it done, so it's a loss. Not into moral victories, and pretty sure Huggs isn't either.

Originally posted by KeatonsCorner:
Freshmen backcourt

Without 2 seniors

Foul trouble to depth

And still the Buckhannon retard cant understand why WVU slowed it down

Par for the course
I agree here with most of this. I could live without the name calling, but some experience was needed on the floor to settle things down. Attrition was setting in. They never played this short all year in a difficult place to win against a good opponent. Carter felt the pressure. That's ok. He'll get better. Huggy was trying steal a win. That's all. It didn't work out. With either of the two seniors on the floor, I'm willing to bet it would have. Carter would have been in a "normal" role and not been tight at the line if it was even him that was there. I don't have any issues with the strategy. Execution could have better but that happens. I wish overall free throw shooting was better. I wish everyone could knock down a shot with some regularity but that's not this team. Effort was fantastic. Tough loss but lessons learned will be good down the road this year and beyond.

This will be part of a future discussion comparing Huggins

with Beilein I'm sure. Sh%t happens, we played great in the first half, they played great in the second half. They got some calls, we missed some shots, we both lost some players. Would have loved to see WVU steal that one. If anybody would have predicted an overtime loss, At Kansas, without Staten and Browne before this game you would have claimed he/she was on drugs.

Re: This will be part of a future discussion comparing Huggins

I thought Kansas would win at home, I really did.....But Kansas really didn't win, we handed them the game.....I mean they were done.....What I don't like is that people who love Huggins say poor West Virginia, what can you expect? We should be happy we almost won, the deck is stacked against us......We didn't have all our players(did Kansas)? Huggins needs his type of players, the players won't listen, excuse after excuse......It's like we should embrace a nice defeatist attitude......I hate that. I want a National presence.....I don't want to lose and feel good about it, and I sure as Hell don't like to lose games that the other team wanted to give us.....

Originally posted by Mtman 69:
I thought Kansas would win at home, I really did.....But Kansas really didn't win, we handed them the game.....I mean they were done.....What I don't like is that people who love Huggins say poor West Virginia, what can you expect? We should be happy we almost won, the deck is stacked against us......We didn't have all our players(did Kansas)? Huggins needs his type of players, the players won't listen, excuse after excuse......It's like we should embrace a nice defeatist attitude......I hate that. I want a National presence.....I don't want to lose and feel good about it, and I sure as Hell don't like to lose games that the other team wanted to give us.....
Uh, well........... maybe you should read more and talk less.
smokin.r191677.gif

Associated Press Ranking - #20
Coaches Poll Ranking ------- #20
Top 25 and 1 Ranking ------- #17
CBS.Sports RPI Ranking --- #23
Bracketologhy Ranking ----- #5

We lost the game cause we couldn't make foul shots. That and Kansas literally getting every call the last 4 mins and ot didn't help either

So basically Kansas needed WVU to blow a 18 point lead, sit our 2 senior pg's, and get some sketchy calls in the second half just to pull out a win in overtime? At home.

Blame Huggins.

You only had 8 chances to post this season about Huggins. You clearly did not take advantage of them.

lets see.. 23-8.. 11-7 in the big 12.. rpi of 21 and a seed in the ncaa around a 5 or 6 or better. and the head coach was named coach of the year..

And you are still BITCHING!!!!

What do you want?? You want to be 31-0 like UK??? Damn that would be awesome but this is not a fairy tail..

What this wvu team and coaching staff did this year with 2 SENIORS!!!!!!!!!! Is flat out amazing.. Sure they lost a lead at Kansas and KANSAS HAD A LITTLE TO DO WITH THAT IN THE SECOND HALF.. But no, we shut out offense down with 5 mins to go.. Classic.. But you know more then the Big 12 coach of the year so be it..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT