ADVERTISEMENT

POLL Honestly, as a Christian, do you dislike non-Christians?

Do you dislike non-believers?

• Yes. All non-Christians

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. Only atheists and the lazy agnostic though

• No, but I pity them so much I don’t respect them at all

• No, they are potential recruits

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No, but I dislike members of other religions

• No, but I don’t like them around my children

• No

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

Boomboom521

All-American
Mar 14, 2014
I don’t think the Christians like me much, the fake ones do....but the real ones, not so much.

I don’t think the Christians like me much, the fake ones do....but the real ones, not so much.

giphy.gif

Surprised I have to say this......I wasn’t talking about any of us jagoffs on the OT, I could give a shit. I meant in my life, neighbors and parents of my children’s friends.....once they find out I’m not Christian their attitudes towards me change.

Surprised I have to say this......I wasn’t talking about any of us jagoffs on the OT, I could give a shit. I meant in my life, neighbors and parents of my children’s friends.....once they find out I’m not Christian their attitudes towards me change.

Are you sure it's that, or do you mention your preoccupation with unicorns?

Reactions: atlkvb
Are you sure it's that, or do you mention your preoccupation with unicorns?
And I never talk religion. There seems to be a sort of code though. Asking or talking about their Church often, almost fishing for a response. Or once they are in my home and fail to see certain things maybe. You fvckers are out to get me! Twitch, twitch.

I would offer that a lot of people believe in Christ who dont understand their religion though. Religion is a lot different than believing.
But believing in a “God” with no definitive structure is quite different from believing in a specific doctrine. Like I said, those with a casual relationship to the Christian doctrine seem less judgmental

Very true, probably is
I just mean that sometimes when people are very passionate about something I am not so passionate about they seem to me to act like I am nuts for not realizing how awesome their passion is. Whether it be religion or a sports team or even a hobby.

Reactions: Boomboom521
First why asked a stupid question like that? No Christian hates another non believer just because they are a non believer.

Reactions: atlkvb
I just mean that sometimes when people are very passionate about something I am not so passionate about they seem to me to act like I am nuts for not realizing how awesome their passion is. Whether it be religion or a sports team or even a hobby.
Makes sense

First why asked a stupid question like that? No Christian hates another non believer just because they are a non believer.
  1. I didn’t say hate. I said dislike
  2. I find it weird that since most Christians I speak to see their faith as the only Moral compass, they feel at ease around those that couldn’t possibly be moral.
  3. I don’t think it’s that stupid of a question. My personal beliefs are trivilized by Christians, and that can’t be a sign of respect.

Research passive aggressive behavior :wink:

But believing in a “God” with no definitive structure is quite different from believing in a specific doctrine. Like I said, those with a casual relationship to the Christian doctrine seem less judgmental

I don’t judge others faith as long as they aren’t trying to pull me into theirs. I will admit radical Islam and Sharia Law scare me.

2. I find it weird that since most Christians I speak to see their faith as the only Moral compass, they feel at ease around those that couldn’t possibly be moral.
  3. I don’t think it’s that stupid of a question. My personal beliefs are trivilized by Christians, and that can’t be a sign of respect.
worshiping Bud Light is no way to go thru life.

Why do you believe your beliefs are entitled to respect?

I respect your right to have counter-beliefs, it doesn’t mean they’re worthy of respect. Why is that not good enough?

And that’s just an in general kind of statement, for pretty much anything. I have no dog in the Christianity discussion.

We both know why you asked the question ... typical passive aggressive response :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I live in a pretty conservative area, and with the attacks yesterday, I was curious how many on here feel disdain for people that do not share their Christian beliefs.

My presence on the OT is a byproduct of two things: 1) my boredom 2) my desire to understand other people’s political and spiritual beliefs different than my own - I can ask questions on here I normally wouldn’t, and others answer more frank than a face to face setting.

I’m not sure what insecurity or self confirming belief you think I’m trying to fish for an answer to, but I was honestly curious.

Why do you believe your beliefs are entitled to respect?

I respect your right to have counter-beliefs, it doesn’t mean they’re worthy of respect. Why is that not good enough?

And that’s just an in general kind of statement, for pretty much anything. I have no dog in the Christianity discussion.
They are worthy of respect in the legal sense in America, imo. On a personal level, I think there must be at least a base of respect for there to be any kind of affection for another person - as a neighbor, member of a community, fellow parent, friend, whatever - and if that doesn’t exist on some level at least, all else is just a show.

You respect my right to have counterbeliefs to your own, but you’re not Christian either. Most Christians in their absolute view of morality and righteousness, I think, have a difficult time establishing an a base respect for someone once discovering they are a non believer (although sometimes I think they can with members of other religions). Maybe I’m wrong. Believe it or not, I’m not arguing a point here, not playing gotcha, just curious.

I live in a pretty conservative area, and with the attacks yesterday, I was curious how many on here feel disdain for people that do not share their Christian beliefs.

My presence on the OT is a byproduct of two things: 1) my boredom 2) my desire to understand other people’s political and spiritual beliefs different than my own - I can ask questions on here I normally wouldn’t, and others answer more frank than a face to face setting.

I’m not sure what insecurity or self confirming belief you think I’m trying to fish for an answer to, but I was honestly curious.
It's your story so you can tell it however you want. 99.9 % sure no Christians are going to strap on a sucide vest and run into your house. How many denominations of Christian Churches are there ? How many different versions of Islam are there ? Do all liberals hold the same views ? Maybe try getting to know people on an individual basis instead of stereotyping and silly polls.

It's your story so you can tell it however you want. 99.9 % sure no Christians are going to strap on a sucide vest and run into your house. How many denominations of Christian Churches are there ? How many different versions of Islam are there ? Do all liberals hold the same views ? Maybe try getting to know people on an individual basis instead of stereotyping and silly polls.
Gee, didn’t have any idea you were onto my trap wise old man. And I’m very well aware that people, even in the same denomination of the same religion, have very different views of most things. I’m really not sure what I stereotyped with my poll that asked Christians their personal views.

They are worthy of respect in the legal sense in America, imo. On a personal level, I think there must be at least a base of respect for there to be any kind of affection for another person - as a neighbor, member of a community, fellow parent, friend, whatever - and if that doesn’t exist on some level at least, all else is just a show.

You respect my right to have counterbeliefs to your own, but you’re not Christian either. Most Christians in their absolute view of morality and righteousness, I think, have a difficult time establishing an a base respect for someone once discovering they are a non believer (although sometimes I think they can with members of other religions). Maybe I’m wrong. Believe it or not, I’m not arguing a point here, not playing gotcha, just curious.
I know you’re not setting up a 5 page gotcha thread. I only keyed in on the respect element. I have members of my family who are the same as what you describe. I literally do not care about other people’s opinions as long as I’m pointing to my true north. We (my family that I’ve created with my wife) do exactly what we want to do and how we want to do it irrespective of outside opinion and judgement.

I respect your question, and I’m honestly asking you, why do you care? Do your sweet thing and fvck em if they can’t take the joke.

Gee, didn’t have any idea you were onto my trap wise old man. And I’m very well aware that people, even in the same denomination of the same religion, have very different views of most things. I’m really not sure what I stereotyped with my poll that asked Christians their personal views.
Read what you just wrote ... the answer to why your poll is flawed is in there.

I know you’re not setting up a 5 page gotcha thread. I only keyed in on the respect element. I have members of my family who are the same as what you describe. I literally do not care about other people’s opinions as long as I’m pointing to my true north. We (my family that I’ve created with my wife) do exactly what we want to do and how we want to do it irrespective of outside opinion and judgement.

I respect your question, and I’m honestly asking you, why do you care? Do your sweet thing and fvck em if they can’t take the joke.
Though I doubt I have your Marine forged, alpha level confidence of stride in life, I’ve never allowed others opinions to sway my path at all - and I am very happy in my life.

1. I’m a teacher. And I believe a good teacher cares about their students genuinely. I feel in order to do that I need to understand other people and their views a little better.
  2. There has arisen a new social element recently as my kids are beginning to find close friends (esp with girls), I feel a desire to connect a little more with neighbors with kids, and my children’s friends parents. I’d hate to limit their ability to connect with others socially.

Not only is it not exact, it's not going to produce any results that matter. You do sound a little paranoid though. :wink:
I am. At least one poster answered they hate other religions. I was really wondering if any would choose the “not around my children” option. As I struggle with evaluating other parents and their home’s safety for my children, I wonder what impact religion plays for those religious in that assessment in their lives.

I am. At least one poster answered they hate other religions. I was really wondering if any would choose the “not around my children” option. As I struggle with evaluating other parents and their home’s safety for my children, I wonder what impact religion plays for those religious in that assessment in their lives.
Wrap them in bubble wrap :wink:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT