ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question from an honest guy

DvlDog4WVU

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
since the latest revelation regarding the state of Marshall's finances as detailed in the piece written by Chuck in the Herald Dispatch, would it be in Marshall's best interests to reexamine their stance on the 1-1 or none approach?

I'm one of the few WVU fans that has no issue playing Marshall. With that said, I believe it should be on our terms but not so much so that Marshall is embarrassed by the terms. Knowing now the precipice Marshall finds itself standing on with the abysmal CUSA TV contract, and the state of their AD budget, I would think we could make it worthwhile to have an annual tilt against Marshall. Would Marshall fans here be ok with an all games played in Morgantown scenario, provided of course that every other year they receive an increased payout consistent with a home team draw? If not, why?

I will admit to talking a lot of shit during the series, but as soon as the last game was played, I started rooting for Marshall to do well again. I think it's beneficial for both teams in the state to be successful. Marshall clearly needs some financial help. WVU can provide that, but not for free. There would have to be some concessions on Marshall's part, to whit in the past, there has been none.

As reasonable Marshall fans looking at what the future clearly holds, would it not make sense to start making calls to the AD office for some action? You guys can't do it on your own and you are in real fiscal danger right now for having sustained longevity as a program on this level.

The clock is ticking, what do you do?

Reactions: gcb and 30CAT
As long as they don't approach is if we somehow owe them something for some reason, or want preferential treatment then it would be OK.

The problem is that they think they are better than everybody else for some reason and should be given deals that other programs of their caliber don't get.

With all the jaw flapping that has come from their coaches and administration over the years, I say just let them rot. They made their bed.

since the latest revelation regarding the state of Marshall's finances as detailed in the piece written by Chuck in the Herald Dispatch, would it be in Marshall's best interests to reexamine their stance on the 1-1 or none approach?

I'm one of the few WVU fans that has no issue playing Marshall. With that said, I believe it should be on our terms but not so much so that Marshall is embarrassed by the terms. Knowing now the precipice Marshall finds itself standing on with the abysmal CUSA TV contract, and the state of their AD budget, I would think we could make it worthwhile to have an annual tilt against Marshall. Would Marshall fans here be ok with an all games played in Morgantown scenario, provided of course that every other year they receive an increased payout consistent with a home team draw? If not, why?

I will admit to talking a lot of shit during the series, but as soon as the last game was played, I started rooting for Marshall to do well again. I think it's beneficial for both teams in the state to be successful. Marshall clearly needs some financial help. WVU can provide that, but not for free. There would have to be some concessions on Marshall's part, to whit in the past, there has been none.

As reasonable Marshall fans looking at what the future clearly holds, would it not make sense to start making calls to the AD office for some action? You guys can't do it on your own and you are in real fiscal danger right now for having sustained longevity as a program on this level.

I have no problem playing marshal either....but they must accept our terms just like any other run of the mill non conference cash game....it is their sense of entitlement and the stupidity of their fans that calls out for us to never play them in anything until that attitude changes.....in a perfect world it would be good to play them....a guaranteed win every year.....and the record proves it

Reactions: lenny4wvu
The only problem I see, and I have no problem playing them either, is that our schedule for OOC games is pretty much done for a few, maybe many, years (I did not research it). If so, the Moo football may be a club sport by then or in such a bad division that we won't drop to....for anybody.

Just speaking for myself and honestly, I wish the outlook wasn't so gloomy for the Herdiots. CUSA is screwing them over royally. I'd much rather see Marshall have the big paycheck that comes with playing in Morgantown as opposed to helping Youngstown State and Delaware State pay their bills. Marshall could net more money by playing in Morgantown than whatever bowl they find themselves in will pay. But........they drew a line in the sand with their one for one or none stand and their Dantoni Doctrine and I imagine they will stick to their guns rather than swallow their foolish pride and do what's best for their program.

Like you, I have no problems playing them but there are some realities that they must face.

First they have to have a mature outlook regarding the game. We've seen them engage in teenage, street corner verbage including taunts and flat out disrespectful behavior.

That must stop.

Second, they must quit negotiating in the media. Quit it! Nobody does that.

If I were the MU AD I would assign an associate AD to reign in the kamikazes and their sick, nasty, wild accusations about us. In fact, it would be that Associate AD's job to respond, either publicly or privately to these particular nutty, wild-eyed rants. Every time they do it, he responds.

Third, I, as the AD, would hold a series of meetings and explain the differences between the two programs. The vast differences.

And I would alert them, at least those feigning ignorance, that Marshall is in trouble, not by WVU's hand but largely their own silliness.

It's time for Herd admins and fans who should know better to step up.

Doesn't mean that they (MU fans)have to love us but the ball is largely in their court.

Can they handle it?

eff em'... WVU-Huntington or shut it down...

They've had too many chances to do the right thing.

The playoff has killed FCS football. Even if you earn the allotted spot you're still shut out of the four team playoff. There's no impetus for the networks to offer the non-P5 conferences real money as it's all about the playoff, and the conferences whose teams are eligible. The others remain frozen out of both television revenue and national recognition, other than a poll spot thrown out to them like a bone.

I've got no problem with a playing them. The question is can Marshall afford to play on the level it is now, or will they have to drop a level due to monetary concerns? If the latter happens along with the march by the P-5 conferences to only play schools on their level, would WVU be interested in playing a team that could put a big dent in their strength of schedule?

If we are going to play a buy game there would be no reason to do an "every other year" increased pay out when we can get a big payout every year we chose to play one with anyone else. Why play wvu for $300,000 one year and then $1,000,000 the next and then drop back down to $300,000 again when we can get the million a year, every year, from a variety of other opponents?

A lot of our conference mates play 1-2 buy games a year and receive somewhere between $900,000 and $1.3MM for those games. As an example, Western Ky recently signed a 1 game deal with Wisconsin. They will get a million bucks plus they will get a home and home with them in basketball. That home basketball game against Wisconsin will probably increase ticket sales by $40-$50k for that home game.

I imagine that we will have to go back to playing one a year in the near future, but there are plenty of buyers out there.

If we are going to play a buy game there would be no reason to do an "every other year" increased pay out when we can get a big payout every year we chose to play one with anyone else. Why play wvu for $300,000 one year and then $1,000,000 the next and then drop back down to $300,000 again when we can get the million a year, every year, from a variety of other opponents?

A lot of our conference mates play 1-2 buy games a year and receive somewhere between $900,000 and $1.3MM for those games. As an example, Western Ky recently signed a 1 game deal with Wisconsin. They will get a million bucks plus they will get a home and home with them in basketball. That home basketball game against Wisconsin will probably increase ticket sales by $40-$50k for that home game.

I imagine that we will have to go back to playing one a year in the near future, but there are plenty of buyers out there.
So you are backing off your recent proclamation that you "dictate terms?"

No. When we play wvu again, if ever, it will be under our terms. You guys act like you are the only team we can play and get paid for doing it.

No. When we play wvu again, if ever, it will be under our terms. You guys act like you are the only team we can play and get paid for doing it.
That is laughable. Most of our fans dont care if we ever play you. You guys are the ones who begged for the first 12 asskickings. Now you clowns want to act all tough like you are somebody. Too funny.

So you are backing off your recent proclamation that you "dictate terms?"

Their AD has said that they would gladly play certain teams multiple times at that particular team's home field for no return game in Huntington.

He also mentioned one particular team by name that they would never play anyway but home and home.

Mentioned one team by name.......by name.

Wonder which team he attempted to embarrass?

This is what I'm talking about.

Childish but self-inflicted damage.

It's incredible that I've never met a Herd fan that wants to remember how the previous seven games series was set up - it was built in that if the Herd actually won a few of the first couple games they would have had a 4-3 deal (4 WVU home games, 3 Marshall homes games). However, as we all know, WVU swept the series and thus it ended up as a 5-2 deal for the good guys.

And that's the root of Marshall's problem - their sense of entitlement. You guys want home-and-home series without ever earning it. You want WVU to open up their checkbook and pay for your trips to Morgantown knowing you'll never do the same for our return trips to Huntington (not that you ever could). Your AD plays these stupid games in the media with this home-and-home rhetoric just to appease you morons and you fall for it hook, line and sinker.

All of this nonsense, stretched over about 15-20 years now, has made your bed in 2016. Enjoy your $200,00. Enjoy Al-Jazeera. Enjoy obscurity.

If given a choice no not really. I'd rather plan an SEC team under the same terms than WVU.

If given a choice no not really. I'd rather plan an SEC team under the same terms than WVU.

I wonder though, if your AD did some preemptive yakking like he does about us, would that SEC team put up with crap?

Please quit it for your own good vis a vis WVU.

I wonder though, if your AD did some preemptive yakking like he does about us, would that SEC team put up with crap?

MU: Let's play football
WVU: Please stop your preemptive yakking

Says the fan of a school that's 26-25 with the first season of conference play using an NFL laiden talented team. Idiot, you Ears are still in denial you're in over your heads.

How does that make me delusional? I'm not seeing a sense of entitlement from the WVU fan base that we've seen from Herd fans for years. Can you point out the examples that would make us delusional?

You guys keep saying we can't compete and don't belong in the Big 12 but we finished above .500 in football and made the conference championship game in basketball last year. I'm not sure what your definitions of "can't compete" and "don't belong" are but it would apply to about 90% of P5 schools.

That, or you know where we're supposed to be and the jealousy kills you? Yeah, I'd say that's it.

You guys keep saying we can't compete and don't belong in the Big 12 but we finished above .500 in football and made the conference championship game in basketball last year. I'm not sure what your definitions of "can't compete" and "don't belong" are but it would apply to about 90% of P5 schools.

That, or you know where we're supposed to be and the jealousy kills you? Yeah, I'd say that's it.

Oh it's been established for some time now that Wvu is exclusively a basketball school nowadays.

Typical narcissism from an EER fan. You ask an honest question, you get an honest answer and you're offended by it not being about WVU.

Says the fan of a school that's 26-25 with the first season of conference play using an NFL laiden talented team. Idiot, you Ears are still in denial you're in over your heads.

But WVU is still IN. And these days that's all that matters. Marshall isn't remotely in the conversation to move to the P-5. Take what you can get and hope to move up to the point where you can be considered a contender for inclusion.

That would probably require a move back to the MAC and playing better competition, but you've had to do it before. CUSA as it is, is a national joke, there is no upside in staying there.

Congrats on that, but THE HERD is IN, when it comes to the coaches poll. When will you guys ever get IN again?
Cling to those moral victories, when that is all you have. Of course we got one vote last year, probably from Doc. How many teams did MVU beat last year in the top 65 with that tough #236 strongest schedule? All kidding aside, I am happy for Doc doing well and will be even happier for him if he beats Pitt.

Cling to those moral victories, when that is all you have. Of course we got one vote last year, probably from Doc. How many teams did MVU beat last year in the top 65 with that tough #236 strongest schedule? All kidding aside, I am happy for Doc doing well and will be even happier for him if he beats Pitt.
Don't like the way the Pitt game falls on he schedule...but WTF!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT