ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Marshall hired as WR coach

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Brown Announces Marshall on Coaching Staff

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (January 2, 2022) – West Virginia University football coach Neal Brown has announced that Bilal Marshall has returned to WVU as the newest member of the Mountaineer coaching staff, hired as the receivers coach.
“I am excited that Bilal is returning as the receivers coach,” Brown said. “He came here as one of our graduate assistant coaches three years ago, did an outstanding job and was a valuable asset to our program, not only on the field but with our recruiting efforts. I look forward to him joining our program once again.”
Marshall returns to West Virginia after serving as the wide receivers coach at VMI for the past year. His leading receiver, Chance Knox, had 58 catches for 535 yards and two touchdowns. Receiver Isaiah Lemmond earned All-Southern Conference Freshman honors after finishing second on the team with 29 catches for 453 receiving yards and a touchdown. Lemmond recorded two or more catches in the last six games, including six against No. 9 Chattanooga, Furman and No. 10 Samford.
Prior to VMI, Marshall was an offensive graduate assistant on Brown’s coaching staff in 2020 and 2021, working with the wide receivers.
In 2020, WVU had three receivers with 30 or more catches, three with 400 or more yards and five with multiple touchdowns. Winston Wright Jr. earned All-Big 12 Second Team honors after collecting a team-high 47 receptions for 453 yards and two touchdowns.
In 2021, the Mountaineers had four receivers with 30 or more receptions, three with more than 500 yards receiving and four with multiple touchdowns. Two of his receivers, Wright and Bryce Ford-Wheaton, were named All-Big 12 Honorable Mention performers.
Marshall began his coaching career at Champagnat High School in Miami, Florida, where he was the offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach for a team that won the Class 2A State Championship in 2019.
Marshall played the 2017 season in the Canadian Football League for the Ottawa Red Blacks.
He was a receiver for Purdue from 2012-16 and played in the Heart of Dallas Bowl in 2012. As a senior, he was the team’s second-leading receiver with 40 catches for 477 yards and three touchdowns.
“I am looking forward to returning to a special place like West Virginia University,” Marshall said. “Working with outstanding players and respected men like Neal Brown and his coaching staff is a great opportunity for me personally and professionally. I can’t wait to get started.”
Marshall, a native of Miami Gardens, Florida, with numerous ties to that area, earned his bachelor’s degree from Purdue in 2016 in organizational leadership and his master’s degree from WVU in communications studies in 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT