ADVERTISEMENT

Holgorson still averaging 7 wins a year

Better to be average in a Big Time conference than average in a bad conference. Lucky for us WVU is above average in a great conference.

Doctor Doom is an average villain. So I get where your coming from bro

Make sure you relay that same message to Oliver Luck. He's the one who wasn't satisfied with 9 wins per year.

Your insinuation that Stewart would have 9 wins a year playing a Big 12 schedule is laughable. Same goes for RR and Nehlen.

Rumor has it that Holgorsen will be getting his contract extension any day now.

03-29-05_dana-holgorsen_420.jpg

Your insinuation that Stewart would have 9 wins a year playing a Big 12 schedule is laughable. Same goes for RR and Nehlen.

Rumor has it that Holgorsen will be getting his contract extension any day now.

03-29-05_dana-holgorsen_420.jpg
stewart would be lucky to get more than 1 win a year in this conference

<b>Rumor has it that Holgorsen will be getting his contract extension any day now.</b>

I know at halftime vs Texas as Holgorsen was headed to the locker room I saw Lyons run him down and they were slapping 5 like they were a QB to WR combo that just scored a TD. I figured that was a good sign.

I don't like trying to edit on this at all

We're 4-4 in the Big 12. So that's a 'good' year?
Some of you need to figure out the difference between 'Good', 'Bad' and 'Average'.
I'm not surprised though. It's the same dopes that can't figure out what 'Good' is.
4-4 is average. Or .500 depending on your perspective.

If we had won the OSU game, I would have classified it a good year.

We're 4-4 in the Big 12. So that's a 'good' year?
Some of you need to figure out the difference between 'Good', 'Bad' and 'Average'.
I'm not surprised though. It's the same dopes that can't figure out what 'Good' is.
4-4 is average. Or .500 depending on your perspective.
well Dr Dope, it's been a good year because we've only lost to 4 top 15 teams. And considering that schedule, we are 7-4 with possibility to finish 8-4. Maybe if you realized the big 12 was very strong and beats up on its self, you might understand what I'm telling you. This isn't the big least anymore.

IN THE BIG EAST!!!

Oh, forget it...I'm surrounded by idiots.
the idiots can't figure it out because they're too stupid to understand the difference in competition between the big 12 and big least. Until they understand that basic principle, they will fail every time. If they're dumb enough to think the 2 conferences are the same, I can see why they believe Holgorsen is failing.

We're in 5th Place. Granted we are riding a nice winning streak. But, Mr PunishQ-eer, this is an average year at best. A top 25 ranking would help your case. But you got nothing. We'll play in a bowl. That will be nice. But it will be an AVERAGE bowl.
Seriously, you started a thread celebrating AVERAGING 7 wins. Dumb move on your part.

We're in 5th Place. Granted we are riding a nice winning streak. But, Mr PunishQ-eer, this is an average year at best. A top 25 ranking would help your case. But you got nothing. We'll play in a bowl. That will be nice. But it will be an AVERAGE bowl.
Seriously, you started a thread celebrating AVERAGING 7 wins. Dumb move on your part.

Doom, you cannot talk to these people. They believe that the new "great" for WVU football is fighting to finish with 8 wins and a 5-4 conference record. They mask it by slamming the Big East and our previous players/coaches by saying those teams wouldn't finish better than the current team.

I, for one, was raised to believe several things. Being that I played sports, competition is a great thing. As the competition level increases, your own level should as well or you will be left behind. Those who are "satisfied" in mediocrity will remain there for a long time. Those who believe they have peaked out and do not expect to get better will never get better. Attitude is a powerful thing.......positive or negative.

yep Doctor Dope, 7 wins per year. Same as Nehlen.

With chance for 8 or 9 wins this year.
as of tonight, counting his current 7-4, holgs' is 35-27 career wise at wvu for a 7-win, 5.4-loss average record......the past four years to this point he is 25-24 for a 6.25-win, 6-loss record.....if you're going to chirp about a 7-win average, you have to note the 5.4-loss record the past five years and the virtual .500 record of the past four years.....i do think and hope holgs may be rounding the corner a bit and 9-4 would be a very good way to finish.....but as of now.....facts (statistics) are stubborn things and if you are going to point out a 7-win average as a gold star, you have to point out the blue side of a 5.4-loss average over five and 6-loss average over four.....just sayin'.....have not taken time to factor in the average wins over and losses to teams with winning records and those over teams with losing records and vice versa and probably won't because you might think it too negative and i'm kind of afraid to look anyway because it might be unpleasant..... ;) ......

as of tonight, counting his current 7-4, holgs' is 35-27 career wise at wvu for a 7-win, 5.4-loss average record......the past four years to this point he is 25-24 for a 6.25-win, 6-loss record.....if you're going to chirp about a 7-win average, you have to note the 5.4-loss record the past five years and the virtual .500 record of the past four years.....i do think and hope holgs may be rounding the corner a bit and 9-4 would be a very good way to finish.....but as of now.....facts (statistics) are stubborn things and if you are going to point out a 7-win average as a gold star, you have to point out the blue side of a 5.4-loss average over five and 6-loss average over four.....just sayin'.....have not taken time to factor in the average wins over and losses to teams with winning records and those over teams with losing records and vice versa and probably won't because you might think it too negative and i'm kind of afraid to look anyway because it might be unpleasant..... ;) ......
sorry son, you don't get to pick and choose individual seasons or convenient 4 year stretches while leaving out others that go against your agenda. If you want to play that game we can with Nehlen as well. I'll pick 1989-1992.

Nehlen
1989 8-3
1990 4-7
1991 6-5
1992 5-4-2

Average: 5.75 wins per year

Thats why we do all seasons. Fact is, Holgorsen averages 7 wins per year. Same as Nehlen. Deal with it.

Im not going to call anyone names or say anyone is wrong, im just going to post some numbers and let you decide for yourself. Total offense for this year, the Big 12 has the following rankings, #1,3,4,7,19,55,104,113,121. The Big East teams that were there when we played are as follows,#5,40,56,76,82,118,119. I did not include our rankings in this just teams we played for those who want to know WVU is ranked #42 ( oh and just a side note we beat the team that has the #1 ranked offense this year).

sorry son, you don't get to pick and choose individual seasons or convenient 4 year stretches while leaving out others that go against your agenda. If you want to play that game we can with Nehlen as well. I'll pick 1989-1992.

Nehlen
1989 8-3
1990 4-7
1991 6-5
1992 5-4-2

Average: 5.75 wins per year

Thats why we do all seasons. Fact is, Holgorsen averages 7 wins per year. Same as Nehlen. Deal with it.

What were Nehlen's average losses? The added cupcake game with the 12 game schedule now certainly helps Holgs average wins per year. Either way it does not change the fact that WVU can finish with a conference record of 5-4 (assuming WVU handles business at KSU) but got absolutely rolled by 3+ scores by all but one decent team on the schedule. I'd argue that does not equate to a "good" year and would be comparable to the moral victories many fans laugh at Marshall for using.

Stewart and Nehlen would have gotten drilled in this conference. They generally lost to good teams. RR would put up similar results as Holgs, imo. WVU is not a national power. Some people can not accept that fact.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
This year, we will finish either 3 or 4 games out of first; 0-4 against ranked teams; either 2-3 or 1-4 on the road; in 5th place (either alone or tied); no wins over a Big 12 team with a winning conference record; 1 win over a power 5 team with an overall winning record; possibly; no road wins over a Power 5 teams with a winning record.

Our "best" win is at home over TTU.

We had the best season of the current mediocre teams in the league this year. (WVU, TTU, Texas, KSU) and we are obviously better than ISU and Kansas. Sadly, those 6 teams combined for just win over the current top 4 and we were not the one to get it. (Texas over OU).

The best that can be said for this team is it broke the pattern of collapsing down the stretch and we didn't have a an upset loss for a refreshing change.

I picked us for 7-5 and to date had all the games right except OSU and Texas. In the preseason, I predicted we would lose to KSU, so if we beat KSU we will have slightly exceeded my expectations.

That's good, but it's largely because my expectations have lessened under Holgorsen. We did worse than I expected every year from 2011-13. Last year we also did 1 game better because we beat Baylor. This year it would be by beating KSU.

The idea that I should be pleased if we meet or exceed my expectations ignores the obvious that low expectations are easy to meet or exceed. A program headed in the right direction will have progressively higher expectaions not excuses for regression then stagnation at a level below prior expectations.

IN THE BIG EAST!!!

Oh, forget it...I'm surrounded by idiots.
Open up your eyes for once. The hire wasn't so shortsighted as to only take into account being in the Big Least forever. Luck knew WVU needed to get out of that conference and it was obvious to anybody listening to him around that time that that was one of his goals. I also like how you conveniently leave out the comments he made about having a goal to be able to compete for national championships, which he implied he didn't think we could do under Stew. If your goal is to compete for national championships, you don't hire a coach who you think can only make your team better in the Big Least. You hire a coach who you think has the potential to compete with anybody in the country. Don't be ignorant and act like Luck didn't know he was trying to get WVU out of the Big Least and into a stable conference with better competition and that Holgorsen was hired with this in mind.

This year, we will finish either 3 or 4 games out of first; 0-4 against ranked teams; either 2-3 or 1-4 on the road; in 5th place (either alone or tied); no wins over a Big 12 team with a winning conference record; 1 win over a power 5 team with an overall winning record; possibly; no road wins over a Power 5 teams with a winning record.

Our "best" win is at home over TTU.

We had the best season of the current mediocre teams in the league this year. (WVU, TTU, Texas, KSU) and we are obviously better than ISU and Kansas. Sadly, those 6 teams combined for just win over the current top 4 and we were not the one to get it. (Texas over OU).

The best that can be said for this team is it broke the pattern of collapsing down the stretch and we didn't have a an upset loss for a refreshing change.

I picked us for 7-5 and to date had all the games right except OSU and Texas. In the preseason, I predicted we would lose to KSU, so if we beat KSU we will have slightly exceeded my expectations.

That's good, but it's largely because my expectations have lessened under Holgorsen. We did worse than I expected every year from 2011-13. Last year we also did 1 game better because we beat Baylor. This year it would be by beating KSU.

The idea that I should be pleased if we meet or exceed my expectations ignores the obvious that low expectations are easy to meet or exceed. A program headed in the right direction will have progressively higher expectaions not excuses for regression then stagnation at a level below prior expectations.

Low IQ drifter: WVU is 7-4 and bowl bound proving you wrong again. You have eaten more crow on this board than any other troll this year.

Stewart and Nehlen would have gotten drilled in this conference. They generally lost to good teams. RR would put up similar results as Holgs, imo. WVU is not a national power. Some people can not accept that fact.

This attitude should cause you to be BANNED PERMANENTLY! How dare you settle in to the attitude of "oh well, we are just West Virginia and shouldn't expect to be a power". That's sickening. You are NOT a fan. You are NOT deserving of the Gold and Blue.

This attitude should cause you to be BANNED PERMANENTLY! How dare you settle in to the attitude of "oh well, we are just West Virginia and shouldn't expect to be a power". That's sickening. You are NOT a fan. You are NOT deserving of the Gold and Blue.

Because if I think that way I'm going to be disappointed for as long as I watch WVU football. This program does not put the resources into football to be a power. Even if it wanted to, I'm not sure it's even possible.

We most definitely have and put in the resources to be at a level above where we are. There a handful of schools that have tremendous advantages. We are never going to be OSU, Michigan, Bama, LSU, UF, OU, Texas, ND or USC. No one expects us to perform consistently at the level those teams do. (and even they have their down seasons)

There is no reason why we can't consistently perform on a level as high as the remainder of the good programs. Peaks and valleys are fine at our level, but not when the "peaks" are redefined to include seasons like this year and last season.

We most definitely have and put in the resources to be at a level above where we are. There a handful of schools that have tremendous advantages. We are never going to be OSU, Michigan, Bama, LSU, UF, OU, Texas, ND or USC. No one expects us to perform consistently at the level those teams do. (and even they have their down seasons)

There is no reason why we can't consistently perform on a level as high as the remainder of the good programs. Peaks and valleys are fine at our level, but not when the "peaks" are redefined to include seasons like this year and last season.

Our football facilities and stadium are near the bottom of the Big 12, ahead of Kansas but now behind ISU and KState after their recent upgrades. Our head coach makes less than all but 2 other coaches in the conference. These other schools are putting more money and effort into building their programs than we are and WVU isn't keeping up.

I'm fine with it as being a football factory doesn't appeal to me, but apparently you aren't.

Because if I think that way I'm going to be disappointed for as long as I watch WVU football. This program does not put the resources into football to be a power. Even if it wanted to, I'm not sure it's even possible.

I'd rather be disappointed every weekend than to go in to the weekend HOPING that we play well and HOPING nobody blows us out. Sorry.....but the competitive side of me will not allow that methodology to enter my mind. Call it realistic or unrealistic...I don't care. That's how I am, and that's how those who become successful are.

Open up your eyes for once. The hire wasn't so shortsighted as to only take into account being in the Big Least forever. Luck knew WVU needed to get out of that conference and it was obvious to anybody listening to him around that time that that was one of his goals. I also like how you conveniently leave out the comments he made about having a goal to be able to compete for national championships, which he implied he didn't think we could do under Stew. If your goal is to compete for national championships, you don't hire a coach who you think can only make your team better in the Big Least. You hire a coach who you think has the potential to compete with anybody in the country. Don't be ignorant and act like Luck didn't know he was trying to get WVU out of the Big Least and into a stable conference with better competition and that Holgorsen was hired with this in mind.
What is ignorant is thinking that a school with no in state recruiting to speak of can compete year in and year out for a NC. It is simply not possible. You would fire Holgerson and just repeat the cycle in a few years again. THAT is how you ruin a program.

It is also ignorant to not see that Stew (while a great guy) was not taking our program in the right direction. We were only recruiting well on paper (most of the better recruits would never make it here) and we had a high turn over rate on the players who did arrive. We were losing to Syracuse, Colorado and UCONN. You need to open your eyes and come to terms with the fact that we were not going to get anywhere near 9 wins (in any league) the way things were going.

A change had to be made! Now let Stew rest in peace...what a diservice people like you do to his memory!

Most people don't attend for the chance to marvel at the amenities. For a year or two you might get a boost from curious people who want to check it out. After that, attendance will follow success and flee from lack of it.

The idea that spending hundreds of millions of dollars so we can brag about our stadium is silliness. When we have good seasons, this stadium will be full and people will again start saying we need to expand.

Our coach is paid well. The only coaches you could even remotely argue are paid better than Holgorsen relative to results are Strong and Kingsbury. The rest have unquestionably earned greater pay. In fact, Holgorsen, Strong and Kingsbury would seem to illustrate the foolishness of thinking paying a high salary to the wrong person will help a team on the field. All of them got paid before they earned it by winning in their current jobs.

All of them also get paid more than people like Whittingham, Fedora, Brian Kelly, Shaw, Cutcliffe, and in the same ballpark as people like Swinney and Helrich.

Wise spending, not blindly throwing money around, can help a program. All Power 5 programs have enough revenue to compete. The ones that rarely are competitive are not thus because of poverty, absolute or relative.

We are not elite because we are in a small state with little in-state recruiting potential. Whether our revenue is 70 million or 120 million that most important part of the equation is not going to change. Almost zero recruiting battles will be one against the elites because of luxury suites or practice facilities and weight rooms. such things might entice people to choose us over closer, lesser programs but no one is going to say, "I was all set to go to Bama until I stepped inside the weight room.

Our success will be, as it always has been, dependent on finding and obtaining the best recruits from among those the truly elite schools pass on, beating out similar and lesser programs, and then developing those players better than other schools at our level develop their players.

If we don't do that, we won't be good.

Most people don't attend for the chance to marvel at the amenities. For a year or two you might get a boost from curious people who want to check it out. After that, attendance will follow success and flee from lack of it.

The idea that spending hundreds of millions of dollars so we can brag about our stadium is silliness. When we have good seasons, this stadium will be full and people will again start saying we need to expand.

Our coach is paid well. The only coaches you could even remotely argue are paid better than Holgorsen relative to results are Strong and Kingsbury. The rest have unquestionably earned greater pay. In fact, Holgorsen, Strong and Kingsbury would seem to illustrate the foolishness of thinking paying a high salary to the wrong person will help a team on the field. All of them got paid before they earned it by winning in their current jobs.

All of them also get paid more than people like Whittingham, Fedora, Brian Kelly, Shaw, Cutcliffe, and in the same ballpark as people like Swinney and Helrich.

Wise spending, not blindly throwing money around, can help a program. All Power 5 programs have enough revenue to compete. The ones that rarely are competitive are not thus because of poverty, absolute or relative.

We are not elite because we are in a small state with little in-state recruiting potential. Whether our revenue is 70 million or 120 million that most important part of the equation is not going to change. Almost zero recruiting battles will be one against the elites because of luxury suites or practice facilities and weight rooms. such things might entice people to choose us over closer, lesser programs but no one is going to say, "I was all set to go to Bama until I stepped inside the weight room.

Our success will be, as it always has been, dependent on finding and obtaining the best recruits from among those the truly elite schools pass on, beating out similar and lesser programs, and then developing those players better than other schools at our level develop their players.

Do you think finishing unranked means we had a "good" year?

Still want Holliday to come here?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT