ADVERTISEMENT

Herman's Hot Seat

Volatility

Senior
Jun 27, 2018
Charleston WV
www.equitysciences.com
Given the talent he inherited, and his 2018 & 2019 recruiting classes, while I dont expect him to be fired this year, due to the new OC+DC & COVID, if PeeWee Herman doesnt deliver a BIG12 Championship this or next year, his time in Austin should end.

To all those who are criticizing Neal Brown & Staff, look at what they are doing with so little, and look at what Herman is doing with so much. EVERY COACH needs 5 years, but 5th year at a program with limitless resources like UT, there are NO EXCUSES.

Ithink they give him 1 more year, and if he doesnt deliver this or next year, Herman will be gone, as he should be.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Yes let’s ignore how terrible Texas was under Charlie Strong and the mess he created that Herman had to take over. I’d say Chris Ash is feeling the hot seat right now because Texas is putting up good offense numbers under new O-coordinator in Yurcich.

Yes let’s ignore how terrible Texas was under Charlie Strong and the mess he created that Herman had to take over. I’d say Chris Ash is feeling the hot seat right now because Texas is putting up good offense numbers under new O-coordinator in Yurcich.

Yes, UT wasnt good under Strong, but he still had Top 25 recruiting classes:

2013 =17th
2014 = 17th
2015 = 10th
2016 = 7th
2017 = 25th
2018 = 3rd
2019 = 3rd

This speaks more to Strong not being a good developer of talent, or deploying quality offensive & defensive schemes. Herman has recruited much better then Strong, but its not like Herman inherited a post DanaH squad.

Lets reverse this logic, how high would WVU fanbase's expectations be if WVU had recruited that level of talent the preceding 4 years before Brown & Staff took over. If WVU had several top 20 & top 10 classes, we would ABSOLUTELY expect at least 1 BIG12 Title by the 4th year. PeeWee is 27-17 currently, and could still technically win the BIG12 this year, but UT's ABSOLUTE WORST recruiting year would be an ALL TIME GREAT for WVU.

Marinate on that for a moment. 17th, 10th, 7th, & 25th..... If WVU had those classes in the same sequence, not to mention a 2018 class that was 3rd, which now has had time to mature & develop, we would be dropping Hydrogen Bombs on Neal Brown (or any WVU HC) that would be 27-17.

Herman has under-performed when you account for:

1. Limitless Resources
2. Limitless Funding
3. Limitless Recruiting grounds

NO WAY Herman should have lost this year to OU. Not when you consider its level of talent, experience, & resources, ESPECIALLY in a year when OU is absolutely in rebuild mode with a 1st year starting QB. The year is not over yet, and Herman could still turn it around, but if by the end of his 5th year, if he hasnt won at least 1 BIG12 title, its time for UT to find a better option.

Personally Im not a fan of only giving HC's 2-3 years, I think every coach deserves 5 years, but thats at a non-blueblood like WVU, with far less resources. At a program like UT, your ceiling as a coach is identified a little quicker then compared to a WVU-like program. Which is why I think some on here need to realize how Great of a coach NB must be to accomplish what hes doing in such a short amount of time, and why he deserves 5+ years before we make serious judgments.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Herman should feel the hot seat and if he doesn’t win out, he most likely will be fired. Ash was a terrible hire but Yurcich was an excellent hire. What you posted also shows why high recruiting rankings do not equal success (too many unknown variables). I’m not one who is big into recruiting rankings.

Also, what has NB accomplished here so far?

I don’t think Herman can lose another game. If he would lose two more he’s definitely gone.

Herman should feel the hot seat and if he doesn’t win out, he most likely will be fired. Ash was a terrible hire but Yurcich was an excellent hire. What you posted also shows why high recruiting rankings do not equal success (too many unknown variables). I’m not one who is big into recruiting rankings.

You think Herman would win the Big 12 here? We had a Holgorsen already and it failed. Yurcich is there to replace Herman. Texas is not the type of program to care about firing a coach during a covid year.

Has a team that has so much done so little with two coaches in a row? then with Williams and Mackovic before Mack Brown.

You think Herman would win the Big 12 here? We had a Holgorsen already and it failed. Yurcich is there to replace Herman. Texas is not the type of program to care about firing a coach during a covid year.

I don’t think we will ever win the a Big 12 barring somehow we land an Art Briles type. Herman is an excellent OC similar to how Dana was. I think Dana improved as a HC with no previous experience and he will land a bigger job than Houston in terms of prestige. If I was a Texas fan, I would be excited for Yurcich.

"Genius" Tom Herman announces to the World that his staff is searching Baylor message boards for information about the virus-free players who will play in the upcoming Texas/Baylor game on Saturday. Um, wouldn't announcing this effort encourage Baylor fans to spread misinformation on message boards?

Hot Seat Herman, indeed...

I don’t think we will ever win the a Big 12 barring somehow we land an Art Briles type. Herman is an excellent OC similar to how Dana was. I think Dana improved as a HC with no previous experience and he will land a bigger job than Houston in terms of prestige. If I was a Texas fan, I would be excited for Yurcich.
Holgs won't leave Houston unless he's forced out. He's paid way too much money to leave and he loves being big fish. If he's forced out he won't be a coach that P5 teams would want.

Let's not forget about the mess Brown left Strong. Does Yurcich coach defense as well? Because Texas is giving up as much offense to their opponents as well. Texas is lucky they have a win in the Big 12. Yurcich will be Texas next HC when Herman is canned. Herman has done nothing in his 5 years. A team that recruits top 10 every year and has 2 dozen 4 and 5 star players and can't win the Big 12. Herman is a crying tool and a coaching fool.

This makes sense, and would BY FAR be the best hire for UT. Urban would have them beating OU in 2-3 years, and recruiting in the top 5 EVERY YEAR. Personally, I hope they keep Herman a few more years,lol

Urban Myers is not going to want to go to Texas. If he wanted to be there he would be there the first time they asked him. Texas couldn't even hire Saban for 10 million a year. Texas is suppose to be the face of the Big 12 and can't find a coach with a name and big time winner is pretty sad.

Urban Myers is not going to want to go to Texas. If he wanted to be there he would be there the first time they asked him. Texas couldn't even hire Saban for 10 million a year. Texas is suppose to be the face of the Big 12 and can't find a coach with a name and big time winner is pretty sad.

Yeah, he probably doesnt take the position. Not enough time & distance yet from OSU... If this conversation was next year, I would maybe think its possible, but if they seek to replace Herman this year, its probably a bit to early for Urban to take another HC position. That said, Urban would turn them around quickly, and have them recruiting even better... His concepts may have aged a bit, but his name is more powerful then Mack Brown, and look at how Mack in recruiting in NC.

Aside from Urban, I dont know of any big time coach who they may try to get besides Luke Fickell... Maybe Coastal Carolina HC?? I dont know much about Yurcich to have a thought...

There is no excuse for UT to have lost to OU this year. While that blocked punt was costly, still shouldnt have been that close, considering all factors.

PJ Fleck is someone to watch.
If Minnesota is a Top 10 team again Fleck could be on the move.

But Fleck will have to.adjust some things for Texas.

But Herman won't be going anywhere.

Mike Yurcich has never been a HC anywhere. There isn't anyway he gets the job.

I guess Texas fans will have to get use to maximum 8 win seasons and occasional .500 years. Yeah go ahead and keep him. What's another 5 years of mediocrity and 3rd to 6th place finishes.

Here is PJ Fleck speaking at the THSCA Convention in 2019.

He has been establishing ties to the state with Minnesota that he couldn't at Western Michigan.
But when he was at Western Michigan had more players drafted than they did in the previous 25+ years

Here is PJ Fleck speaking at the THSCA Convention in 2019.

He has been establishing ties to the state with Minnesota that he couldn't at Western Michigan.
But when he was at Western Michigan had more players drafted than they did in the previous 25+ years

Fleck is obviously a good coach, and will def be grabbed at some point. Didnt think of him cause BIG10 hasnt played yet this year, but I will be curious to see where he goes, if he has another good year. Or, maybe he wants to build something special at Minn, who knows. Personally, if you want to leave a lasting legacy as a HC, thats how you do it...

Fleck is obviously a good coach, and will def be grabbed at some point. Didnt think of him cause BIG10 hasnt played yet this year, but I will be curious to see where he goes, if he has another good year. Or, maybe he wants to build something special at Minn, who knows. Personally, if you want to leave a lasting legacy as a HC, thats how you do it...

If Tom Herman is fired it will be because people want to put the money up.

There are rumors of this happening and the reason for attempting to turn the fanbase against him.

The question becomes do they have someone in mind.
I know people really liked PJ Fleck but it was a difficult hire because he was at Western Michigan.

This entire decision is based on the opinions of a very few
Unless you have 30 million dollars to get rid of Herman and to bring in another coach your opinion of Herman being fired or not doesn't matter.
But when this happens like when Joe Jamail asked how much it would cost to take his name off the stadium in 1997 you will see by the results

Texas sports have become an afterthought. Sort of along the same lines as programs like Florida State, Miami, and even Southern Cal. I blame the fall of Texas on what's taken place in Austin over the last two decades. It's a culture of being soft, and it's entwined itself into Longhorn athletics. Texas is probably #4 in their own state now days, behind Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech in basketball, and certainly a few in-state schools in football.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dana didn't take the Houston football team and make them a better program than Texas.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Totally false..

Last few years Texas went out and hired the best coach they could in sports that haven't lived up to expectations.

Softball
Track and Field
Women's Basketball

What does Austin have to do with anything...
The school represents more than just Austin.

Texas sports have become an afterthought. Sort of along the same lines as programs like Florida State, Miami, and even Southern Cal. I blame the fall of Texas on what's taken place in Austin over the last two decades. It's a culture of being soft, and it's entwined itself into Longhorn athletics. Texas is probably #4 in their own state now days, behind Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech in basketball, and certainly a few in-state schools in football.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dana didn't take the Houston football team and make them a better program than Texas.

I agree. The Austin Mentality is seeping in and the program cant compete anymore.

1. Nehlen Independent/Big East 149 wins
Conference Championship 1
BCS Bowl wins 0

2. Holgorsen Big East/Big12 61 wins
BCS Bowl wins 1

3. Rodriguez Big East 60 wins
BCS Bowl win 1

Holgorsen ='s failed

1. Nehlen Independent/Big East 149 wins
BCS Bowl wins 0

2. Holgorsen Big East/Big12 61 wins
BCS Bowl wins 1

3. Rodriguez Big East 60 wins
BCS Bowl win 1

Holgorsen ='s failed

Don Nehlen played against the best in the Big East. Rod Fraud and Hogloss played against weak sisters of the Big East. There was no such thing as BCS bowls until 1998. Nehlen retired in 2000. The competition in Big East when Nehlen coached was some of the best in the nation.

2011 was a shared title with 3 teams and WVU won the tie breaker because Cincinnati lost to WVU and then Rutgers back to back games. UL lost to Cincinnati then Pitt on Nov. 12 WVU lost to UL but also Lost to a 1-6 conference team in Syracuse.

How many titles did Holgorson win in the Big 12?

But what does any of that have to do with Herman winning a Big 12 title here at WVU?

Nice try troll.

You are being a little nostalgic towards the Big East prior to the schools leaving

2000 was the best year for the Big East but it still was only rated 2nd out of 11 conferences
Only year it was rated in the Top 3

Most of the time it was around 6th and sometimes as low as 8th.
This was before Miami, VA Tech and Boston College left. .

I am not an apologist for Dana..

But to say somehow Dana was facing easier schedules would be untrue.

Even Rich Rodriguez
Big East in 2006 was ranked 2nd
2007 was ranked #3

When Dana won the Big East in 2011 it was ranked 5th.
Same as Nehlen.

The entire time Dana was in the Big 12 the conference was 2nd to 5th
2016 being the lowest.
Was ranked 2nd his final year in 2018. The same as his first year in the Big 12.
Majority of years it was ranked #3.

Conference rankings according to sports reference

Kicking out Temple and Rutgers improving is what changed for the Big East from what I am seeing.

Those programs brought the conference down.

Kicking out Temple and Rutgers improving is what changed for the Big East from what I am seeing.

Those programs brought the conference down.

No such thing as a Big East football conference anymore. Rutgers wasn't kicked out. They were invited to the Big 10. Temple is currently in The AAC and winning games.

You are being a little nostalgic towards the Big East prior to the schools leaving

2000 was the best year for the Big East but it still was only rated 2nd out of 11 conferences
Only year it was rated in the Top 3

Most of the time it was around 6th and sometimes as low as 8th.
This was before Miami, VA Tech and Boston College left. .

I am not an apologist for Dana..

But to say somehow Dana was facing easier schedules would be untrue.

Even Rich Rodriguez
Big East in 2006 was ranked 2nd
2007 was ranked #3

When Dana won the Big East in 2011 it was ranked 5th.
Same as Nehlen.

The entire time Dana was in the Big 12 the conference was 2nd to 5th
2016 being the lowest.
Was ranked 2nd his final year in 2018. The same as his first year in the Big 12.
Majority of years it was ranked #3.

Conference rankings according to sports reference

Miami, Fl.
Va.Tech
Boston College (in Nehlen time they were a decent team) Just as good as Mary Land You knw the team Texas can't beat.

From 1994 to 2003 Miami and Va.Tech dominated the conference until leaving in 2003. The conference was never the same. The commish was worried more about his basketball stature than football. He blew a great opportunity to have a power conference in the east. The only team that won BCS bowl games was WVU and Loserville.

Dana was in Big East 1 year. Coaching with a previous coaches players who won 9 games a year.

Dana proceeded to take that team to 7-6 when he entered the Big 12.

Big East didn't exist in 2016.

You are being a little dumber by the minute.

According to sports reference you are incorrect.

Point is removing Temple and Rutgers improving changed the Big East a lot more than Miami, VA Tech and BC leaving

Because Louisville came in as a Top 25 program
Cincinnati was decent for a lot of the times

Sports Reference calculates strength of the conferences every year

More Big East nostalgia.

It didn't work....

CBS gave the Big East a huge platform. It didn't work.

Because there weren't really any Big East football fans.
Everyone cared about the NFL and not CFB. So that huge platform went away.

When the Big East formed as a Football Conference it was given every chance to find success.
Even being given the same platform as the SEC...

SEC brought viewers and fans
The Big East didn't bring anything outside of Morgantown and Blacksburg.

Add a little fire to Tommy's Hot Seat...Five-star QB Quinn Ewers from Texas commits to Ohio State.

I think I mentioned in another thread about this likely happening. TVZ should pay closer attention to what I have to say. Its possible he could improve his intelligence if he would start listening to more intelligent people.

Texas AD has Urban Myer on speed dial. Herman is packing his bags and adding blister cream on his burning torched ass.

He has greatly improved recruiting exposure with higher rated recruits.
He has supported the significant development of a defense, especially the DL, even in the face of the unfortunate, misfortunate of having the DC move on before the beginning of this season.
IMO he is doing a very, very good job. ---Leave him alone!

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT