ADVERTISEMENT

HCNB comments on the four corner schools

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
Well, it's a long way to travel, it's hot out there, it's sandy, it's dry, and that's going to present a challenge for the football team. Now, I now the team is going to f*cking work hard and we're going to have a few good practices before going out there, but if we lose a few games..well then dam it.....they guys just couldn't over come the elements.

Well, it's a long way to travel, it's hot out there, it's sandy, it's dry, and that's going to present a challenge for the football team. Now, I now the team is going to f*cking work hard and we're going to have a few good practices before going out there, but if we lose a few games..well then dam it.....they guys just couldn't over come the elements.
Epic fail.

He’s got better odds of not finishing last with more teams.
Probably true, but if the Four Corners schools were in this year, who would've been picked to finish behind WVU in the media poll? Colorado? Maybe one of the Arizona schools? Not sure WVU would've been picked to finish better than 16th. Brown would still be a lame duck, and that's the main reason we were picked to finish 12th in a 12-team league.

Baker has to get the hire right, and find a good men's basketball coach. If he whiffs on those two, almost everything else he does during his tenure will be considered a failure. WVU athletics has survived another existential crisis with realignment, but now the future of the two marquee programs is in question. Get both hires right and the next 7-8 years could be a hell of a lot of fun in the new Big XII; get them wrong and we're going to be in a tough spot the next time realignment comes around. And it will.

Reactions: gardeneer
Probably true, but if the Four Corners schools were in this year, who would've been picked to finish behind WVU in the media poll? Colorado? Maybe one of the Arizona schools? Not sure WVU would've been picked to finish better than 16th. Brown would still be a lame duck, and that's the main reason we were picked to finish 12th in a 12-team league.

Baker has to get the hire right, and find a good men's basketball coach. If he whiffs on those two, almost everything else he does during his tenure will be considered a failure. WVU athletics has survived another existential crisis with realignment, but now the future of the two marquee programs is in question. Get both hires right and the next 7-8 years could be a hell of a lot of fun in the new Big XII; get them wrong and we're going to be in a tough spot the next time realignment comes around. And it will.
It’s time WVU starts acting like a big program and go for an established HC at the P5 level. Pay the money needed. Even if you have to pay above price. Most of the time, WVU wont beat the blueblood programs for recruits. However, with the right HC, we can develop these 3-4 star kids and beat them on the field. If Brown cannot deliver a minimum of 8 wins this year, it’s time for change. No more excuses. It’s the 5th year

It’s time WVU starts acting like a big program and go for an established HC at the P5 level. Pay the money needed. Even if you have to pay above price. Most of the time, WVU wont beat the blueblood programs for recruits. However, with the right HC, we can develop these 3-4 star kids and beat them on the field. If Brown cannot deliver a minimum of 8 wins this year, it’s time for change. No more excuses. It’s the 5th year
This^

It the only way. We either pony up to get a real coach, or we are going to be what we are now in the b12 for a long time. Laughing stock. A real coach will come here if the money is there.

We had a legit shot at Hugh Freeze but let him slip away to auburn because Gee is a terrible leader and doesn't know the proper way to handle things.

Worst losing percentage for a WVU football coach in 43 years. Gee screwed up by not dumping Neal Brown.
Frank Cignetti Sr. 17-27 (.386)
Neal Brown 22-25 (.468)

Once again you fail, dumbass.

Brown not a good coach but also not the worst losing percentage in 43 years.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Frank Cignetti Sr. 17-27 (.386)
Neal Brown 22-25 (.468)

Once again you fail, dumbass.

Brown not a good coach but also not the worst losing percentage in 43 years.
Cignetti last coached the year you graduated from high school, right before Dandy Don took over in '80.

Cignetti last coached the year you graduated from high school, right before Dandy Don took over in '80.
Still has the lowest winning percentage which is what crumb nuts was bitching about but thought WVU football began in 1980. Not only that he played a weaker schedule.

Last edited:
The problem is that most successful power 5 coach's that are looking for a new gig are looking for a job at a blue blood or maybe NFL. If your successful at a place like Syracuse or Nc state, why do you want to come to a place like Wvu where it's just as difficult to win.

The problem is that most successful power 5 coach's that are looking for a new gig are looking for a job at a blue blood or maybe NFL. If your successful at a place like Syracuse or Nc state, why do you want to come to a place like Wvu where it's just as difficult to win.
Syracuse and NC State are no blue blood. Money talks and coaches follow the green.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Syracuse and NC State are no blue blood. Money talks and coaches follow the green.
No, they are not and that's the point someone who is successful at programs like that are not looking to parlay that success into a gig at wvu. They are looking for a blue blood job. You think if someone is successful at wvu they are looking to make a jump to one of those schools.

Football is the only sport in which Syracuse ranks in the bottom half of the ACC in spending.

Syracuse football coach Dino Babers ranked No. 46 in the country in compensation in USA Today’s new database of college football coach salaries, although his actual ranking could be higher. Babers was listed with a total compensation of approximately $3.2 million, which included a salary of around $2.1 million and a bonus of nearly $1 million.

NC State David Doreen is ranked 30th with $5 million dollar salary.

Brown should be collecting unemployment is ranked 41st at $4 million dollars. WVU could probably pay at least 5 million plus for a good coach from a P5 school.

Reactions: I.M.Right
Football is the only sport in which Syracuse ranks in the bottom half of the ACC in spending.

Syracuse football coach Dino Babers ranked No. 46 in the country in compensation in USA Today’s new database of college football coach salaries, although his actual ranking could be higher. Babers was listed with a total compensation of approximately $3.2 million, which included a salary of around $2.1 million and a bonus of nearly $1 million.

NC State David Doreen is ranked 30th with $5 million dollar salary.

Brown should be collecting unemployment is ranked 41st at $4 million dollars. WVU could probably pay at least 5 million plus for a good coach from a P5 school.
Head Coach's that are successful in the power 5 and who are looking to move on are looking for more than 5 million dollars. Mike Norvall had 1 good season at FSU they bumped his pay to 8 million. Mel Tucker was given an 8-million-dollar contract for one good year. You want a successful power 5 Head coach to take the wvu job you're looking in the 7-8 mil range you're not getting it for 5 million. How much did Lsu have to pay Brian Kelly to leave Notre Dame? How much did Usc have to pay Lincoln Riley to leave Oklahoma for Usc?

Last edited:
Head Coach's that are successful in the power 5 and who are looking to move on are looking for more than 5 million dollars. Mike Norvall had 1 good season at FSU they bumped his pay to 8 million. Mel Tucker was given an 8-million-dollar contract for one good year. You want a successful power 5 Head coach to take the wvu job you're looking in the 7-8 mil range you're not getting it for 5 million. How much did Lsu have to pay Brian Kelly to leave Notre Dame? How much did Usc have to pay Lincoln Riley to leave Oklahoma for Usc?
Well, if that’s what we need to pay, then that’s what we need to pay.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
There are only 9 coaches that make 8 million or more. The 8 of the top 10 highest paid coaches are from the SEC and B1G with 4 from SEC and 4 from B1G. They only 2 in top 10 not from the B1G and SEC is Dabo Swinney at #2 and Mike (I'm a man) Gundy at #10.

Your argument is off the target. There are just as many successful P5 coaches not making more than 5 million than those making 8 million.

There are very few schools that can claim national status and pay.

Mack Brown 265-139 (5 million)
Josh Heupel 35-14 (5 million)
Dave Doeren 87-53 (
Matt Campbell 77-39 and only 42-34 at ISU (4 million)

There is nothing wrong with hiring a G5 coach to be a success at a P5 school. Where do you think all these high paid studs of yours started at?

Imagine the crying and whining that would go on if WVU’s 7 million dollar coach only beats TCU by 10 points.
One thing that holds true is you don't need a high paid coach to win games. You need talent on the team and a talent at coaching.

But to get talented players in today's game you have to pay for it.

One thing that holds true is you don't need a high paid coach to win games. You need talent on the team and a talent at coaching.

But to get talented players in today's game you have to pay for it.
I thought Neal Brown was going to be awesome. For the price we paid I figured he would end up a steal but we would have to pay to be able to keep him. I was way wrong lol. We are paying to keep him just not in the way I hoped.

No doubt we can find a good coach for a decent price, but we would have to pay to keep him. I don't care what we do i just want to win more games and compete for the b12 title fairly often

There are only 9 coaches that make 8 million or more. The 8 of the top 10 highest paid coaches are from the SEC and B1G with 4 from SEC and 4 from B1G. They only 2 in top 10 not from the B1G and SEC is Dabo Swinney at #2 and Mike (I'm a man) Gundy at #10.

Your argument is off the target. There are just as many successful P5 coaches not making more than 5 million than those making 8 million.

There are very few schools that can claim national status and pay.

Mack Brown 265-139 (5 million)
Josh Heupel 35-14 (5 million)
Dave Doeren 87-53 (
Matt Campbell 77-39 and only 42-34 at ISU (4 million)

There is nothing wrong with hiring a G5 coach to be a success at a P5 school. Where do you think all these high paid studs of yours started at?
For starts Allen Mack Brown is 71 years old. He is washed up and he is only 30-22 since returning to North Carolina. He is not a hot commodity at this point in his career and is not someone Wvu should pursue. I guess you didn't hear about Josh Heupel's new contract that is paying him 9 million a year. When it comes to Dave Doeren why don't you look at his record just at Nc State (72-54). In 10 seasons he has only finished in the top 25 twice and their best finish was 19th. Doeren is Nc States version of Dana Holgorsen people have speculated about his job status for years. The guy has never hit the double-digit win total in any of his 10 seasons at Nc State. Matt Campbell has done a good job for the most part, but he isn't coming to wvu. If he leaves Iowa State, it will be for something above wvu. Allen where did I ever say there was a problem with G5 coaches? All I said is the next coach at wvu will not be a current power 5 coach.

Last edited:
Well, if that’s what we need to pay, then that’s what we need to pay.
We don't have the money. If we could come up with it, it would be better spent buying players. Most of the coaches are going to want to coach at places where the boosters can fork up the big-time nil deals. When you have blue blood coaches saying they need 13 million to keep their rosters intact you know the wvu's of the world are in trouble. It's one of the reasons Baker was brought in he has a reputation as a good fundraiser. Until Wvu proves it can close the gap in Moneyball any coach who comes here will struggle. If you want power 5 head coaching experience the best, we could probably do is someone like Bo Pelini which I wouldn't be opposed to, but it brings along risk as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePunish-EER
We don't have the money. If we could come up with it, it would be better spent buying players. Most of the coaches are going to want to coach at places where the boosters can fork up the big-time nil deals. When you have blue blood coaches saying they need 13 million to keep their rosters intact you know the wvu's of the world are in trouble. It's one of the reasons Baker was brought in he has a reputation as a good fundraiser. Until Wvu proves it can close the gap in Moneyball any coach who comes here will struggle. If you want power 5 head coaching experience the best, we could probably do is someone like Bo Pelini which I wouldn't be opposed to, but it brings along risk as well.
This is 100% bullshit. No way you are actually a WVU fan.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
For starts Allen Mack Brown is 71 years old. He is washed up and he is only 30-22 since returning to North Carolina. He is not a hot commodity at this point in his career and is not someone Wvu should pursue. I guess you didn't hear about Josh Heupel's new contract that is paying him 9 million a year. When it comes to Dave Doeren why don't you look at his record just at Nc State (72-54). In 10 seasons he has only finished in the top 25 twice and their best finish was 19th. Doeren is Nc States version of Dana Holgorsen people have speculated about his job status for years. The guy has never hit the double-digit win total in any of his 10 seasons at Nc State. Matt Campbell has done a good job for the most part, but he isn't coming to wvu. If he leaves Iowa State, it will be for something above wvu. Allen where did I ever say there was a problem with G5 coaches? All I said is the next coach at wvu will not be a current power 5 coach.

Never wanted Campbell's ass here. He's overrated. Tells you how far WVU has fallen. Why don't you open your eyes and see that not everyone will pay above 5 million. There are only a few big time jobs. Now go **** yourself.

It's apparent you have no idea how to read. I'm posting in response to your lame claim that WVU can't pay a coach.

Edit: Mac Brown is a good coach. See how Texas has screwed up since they forced him out. WVU fans would kill for 30-22 right now.

Last edited:
This is 100% bullshit. No way you are actually a WVU fan.
What exactly is bs about it? when have we ever shown that we can buyout a big contract? Lure the best of the best when it comes to coaches. Auburn just paid a combined 45 million to buy out the last two football coaches they had on their payroll. Tell me the last time wvu did something like that? Show me that 13 millon dollar roster that wvu has that coaches like Ryan Day said he needs to maintain his roster. People like yourself are the problem you don't understand the way college sports work today and it's only going to get worse.

Last edited:
Never wanted Campbell's ass here. He's overrated. Tells you how far WVU has fallen. Why don't you open your eyes and see that not everyone will pay above 5 million. There are only a few big time jobs. Now go **** yourself.
Name one of those guys that the Big boys would pay over 5 million for

Keep getting it wrong clown shoes.
You're the one who got it wrong to being with. If you go back and read my original post to punish all I said, is we are not getting current power 5 coaches who are hot commodities to come here. Learn to read before you respond.

You're the one who got it wrong to being with. If you go back and read my original post to punish all I said, is we are not getting current power 5 coaches who are hot commodities to come here. Learn to read before you respond.
Learn to not blow your cover TVZ.

Richrod is making $800,000 at Jacksonville State. Off him a million and we could afford Browns buyout.

So, I guess you can't answer the question, so you want to try and change the subject but that's typical you isn't it little red riding hood.
Lame as you are you have no clue what I was stating. The fact is there are more coaches that make less than 5 million a year than ones that make over 5. Including P5 coaches and WVU could without a doubt compete for them. **** off prick.

Lame as you are you have no clue what I was stating. The fact is there are more coaches that make less than 5 million a year than ones that make over 5. Including P5 coaches and WVU could without a doubt compete for them. **** off prick.
Once again go back and look at my original comment. You're the one who is lame and failed the reading comprehension test. Name the successful coach in the power 5 that is going to come here for 5 million when he can go to a blue blood for more money. Name that successful power 5 coach that is looking to parley his current power 5 success into a gig at Wvu?

Bonus question How Much does Josh Heupel make? You said 5 million that's not what I heard dumba$$

Once again go back and look at my original comment. You're the one who is lame and failed the reading comprehension test. Name the successful coach in the power 5 that is going to come here for 5 million when he can go to a blue blood for more money. Name that successful power 5 coach that is looking to parley his current power 5 success into a gig at Wvu?

Bonus question How Much does Josh Heupel make? You said 5 million that's not what I heard dumba$$
Once again go back and read period.

Ignored.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT