ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta figure the ACC is feeling a bit

The Big 12 may be safe for now but it’s only a matter of time till we are feeling fragile.
Exactly. WVU has no business gloating over any school or conference demise. We all should be thanking Oliver Luck everyday for his vision and connections to save WVU and get us to the Big 12. I seriously doubt WVU would’ve been considered today.

Imagine Arizona turned their program around and made college football playoff 4 of the next 5 years. SEC or B1G would poach them. We would go if we had success and got the invitation.

This never ends until SEC & B1G are the only 2 conferences of value and take every media dollar available.
The college Super Bowl will be B1G v SEC championship game.
The teams left out will play a new version of 1-AA football.

ACC's only shot is if ESPN would be willing to double their current payouts, or at best, substantially increase the current contract.

I don't see that happening, based on ESPN and their current financial woes. Remember, they went woke, which leads to going broke.

ESPN is also the main culprit when it comes to screwing college football up. They also messed up the Big XII by creating the longhorn network, which led to long time members leaving the conference, which led to WVU being able to enter the conference.

Personally, I love seeing ESPN and anybody affiliated with ESPN suffer a long, miserable death.

ACC's only shot is if ESPN would be willing to double their current payouts, or at best, substantially increase the current contract.

I don't see that happening, based on ESPN and their current financial woes. Remember, they went woke, which leads to going broke.

ESPN is also the main culprit when it comes to screwing college football up. They also messed up the Big XII by creating the longhorn network, which led to long time members leaving the conference, which led to WVU being able to enter the conference.

Personally, I love seeing ESPN and anybody affiliated with ESPN suffer a long, miserable death.
And don’t think for a minute ESPN and Fox didn’t purposely destroy the Pac12. It was behind the scenes. The west coast just doesn’t care about college football. This was more about ratings and viewership. And the Pac12 just didn’t have the following. Remember, all the Pac12 needed to survive was a ESPN, Fox , CBS, or NBC package. They refused and coincidentally were willing to sign a new deal early with the Big12.

The Big 12 may be safe for now but it’s only a matter of time till we are feeling fragile.
Not many teams left to take after the ACC turn style. Only way Big 12 gets touched again only if SEC and B1G want to go all the way to 24 and not 20.

IMO I think they stop at 20

B1G saving spot for ND and they probably take Kansas. That's 20 and B1G is done.

SEC takes FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA. SEC at 20 and done.

Not many teams left to take after the ACC turn style. Only way Big 12 gets touched again only if SEC and B1G want to go all the way to 24 and not 20.

B1G saving spot for ND and they probably take Kansas. That's 20 and B1G is done.

Who takes Miami?

I would agree with you they stop at 20, but Stanford and Cal need a home and that’s gonna be Big10. So I think 22 most likely. Again, only my opinion and maybe I’m wrong

Who takes Miami?
You're going to need either 3 conferences of 24 teams, or maybe 4 conferences of 20 teams to encompass everybody, since Big XII already brought in four G5 programs already. Personally, I wish they would tear all this BS apart, and go with 8 regional 10 team conferences, kind of like it used to be back before big money screwed things up.

You're going to need either 3 conferences of 24 teams, or maybe 4 conferences of 20 teams to encompass everybody, since Big XII already brought in four G5 programs already. Personally, I wish they would tear all this BS apart, and go with 8 regional 10 team conferences, kind of like it used to be back before big money screwed things up.
I still predict down the road, it all comes full circle and the bluebloods go back to independent. Too much pride and ego. There’s gonna be bluebloods with hurt feelings because they can’t dominate anymore in these elitist conferences of B10 and SEC. There’s gonna be more greed and resentment towards sharing money with Vanderbilt, Rutgers, and other schools who aren’t competing. And we’re gonna see exactly what FSU is exploring now, investments firms like JP Morgan investing into elite programs. Eventually Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma etc will want all “their money” and not want to be tied down to a conference and it’s scheduling

Follow the money. WVU is getting more $$$ in the Big 12 than it ever did in its previous affliations. SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 will survive. Pac-12 and ACC will not. Be glad ACC dismissed WVU as a member. Saved my beloved alma mater from being on a sinking ship. Thank Oliver Luck for putting WVU into a more stable conference than the ACC.

Follow the money. WVU is getting more $$$ in the Big 12 than it ever did in its previous affliations. SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 will survive. Pac-12 and ACC will not. Be glad ACC dismissed WVU as a member. Saved my beloved alma mater from being on a sinking ship. Thank Oliver Luck for putting WVU into a more stable conference than the ACC.
You forgot to thank Clements.

Reactions: Euell
I still predict down the road, it all comes full circle and the bluebloods go back to independent. Too much pride and ego. There’s gonna be bluebloods with hurt feelings because they can’t dominate anymore in these elitist conferences of B10 and SEC. There’s gonna be more greed and resentment towards sharing money with Vanderbilt, Rutgers, and other schools who aren’t competing. And we’re gonna see exactly what FSU is exploring now, investments firms like JP Morgan investing into elite programs. Eventually Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma etc will want all “their money” and not want to be tied down to a conference and it’s scheduling

Look up the amount of money B1G members get academically for land grant coalitions. It dwarfs the athletic revenue and has allowed many schools to enhance their academic profile. The B1G is so prestigious due to it's academic standing.

And don’t think for a minute ESPN and Fox didn’t purposely destroy the Pac12. It was behind the scenes. The west coast just doesn’t care about college football. This was more about ratings and viewership. And the Pac12 just didn’t have the following. Remember, all the Pac12 needed to survive was a ESPN, Fox , CBS, or NBC package. They refused and coincidentally were willing to sign a new deal early with the Big12.
Was thinking of this too. Past realignment moves support it too. Follow the networks and the money and what happens lines up.

OP is spot on, the networks had to know that signing an early deal with the B12 and then not doing an equal deal with the PAC12 would cause teams to exit if they could. Specially with the timing and the PAC12 ‘s GOR expiration.

Last edited:

It is satisfying in a way that the responsible party who started all of this shit will be the ones hurt the most by it in the end, but it is all a huge net negative to WVU. That said the LHN kept Texas around for as long as they were. Had that uneven deal never been reached they would have been in the SEC before A&M IMO.

This never ends until SEC & B1G are the only 2 conferences of value and take every media dollar available.
The college Super Bowl will be B1G v SEC championship game.
The teams left out will play a new version of 1-AA football.

One day there will be only 1 conference called “college football” and it will be 60 teams. Due to scheduling issues there will be 5 10 team divisions, 1 in the West, 1 in the Midwest, 1 in the southeast, 1 in the southeast/mid Atlantic, and 1 in the Rust Belt. Due to basketball the remaining 10 in the northeast will not be assigned a specific division, but will still mostly play each other…

One day there will be only 1 conference called “college football” and it will be 60 teams. Due to scheduling issues there will be 5 10 team divisions, 1 in the West, 1 in the Midwest, 1 in the southeast, 1 in the southeast/mid Atlantic, and 1 in the Rust Belt. Due to basketball the remaining 10 in the northeast will not be assigned a specific division, but will still mostly play each other…
You might be right. That’s 2-3 decades from now imo. It will lead to essentially a minor league system for the NFL and likely free the kids from NCAA requirements

You might be right. That’s 2-3 decades from now imo. It will lead to essentially a minor league system for the NFL and likely free the kids from NCAA requirements
Lol I was saying it tongue in cheek since it would get us back to where we once were before PSU joined the Big Ten.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
None of it would surprise me. The route to this would likely be if those billionaire meetings where they are essentially trying to privatize college football end up gaining steam.
Ironically, I think the only thing keeping it all together is the tax exempt status schools enjoy and the NCAA umbrella that prevents the US government from forcing them to pay these kids a salary and benefits. As sad as that sounds, can you think of any other reason they haven’t already broken off from the NCAA?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Exactly. WVU has no business gloating over any school or conference demise. We all should be thanking Oliver Luck everyday for his vision and connections to save WVU and get us to the Big 12. I seriously doubt WVU would’ve been considered today.
I don't know they took Arizona and Colorado two schools in much worse shape than us

Actually, Cal and Stanford are in discussions with the ACC Conference.

California has a population of 40 million (Bay area alone has a #6 Nielsen ranking) which would be a nice footprint addition for the ACC/ACCN. The Pac 12 only had 2 California State University schools Cal and UCLA.

Cal and Stanford are great academic universities and both are AAU members which would fit in well with the ACC institutions.

The ACC Presidents and ADs are meeting Monday and Tuesday to discuss and the Cal Board of Regents are meeting today.

Cal Board has an article on this subject.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

California has a population of 40 million (Bay area alone has a #6 Nielsen ranking) which would be a nice footprint addition for the ACC/ACCN. The Pac 12 only had 2 California State University schools Cal and UCLA.

Cal and Stanford are great academic universities and both are AAU members which would fit in well with the ACC institutions.

The ACC Presidents and ADs are meeting Monday and Tuesday to discuss and the Cal Board of Regents are meeting today.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
giphy.gif

So everyone in the PAC is rejected the Apple streaming deal due to low payouts and they think it’s a good idea to join a conference that has a TV deal with a locked in for several more years that is just as bad (low payouts) as the Apple deal? Let’s not forget the cross country travel for at least 4 football games and 8 or 9 basketball. The only one that wins is the airlines that serve those schools.

Whatever you say.

So everyone in the PAC is rejected the Apple streaming deal due to low payouts and they think it’s a good idea to join a conference that has a TV deal with a locked in for several more years that is just as bad (low payouts) as the Apple deal? Let’s not forget the cross country travel for at least 4 football games and 8 or 9 basketball. The only one that wins is the airlines that serve those schools.

Whatever you say.

So Cal and Stanford are supposed to do what exactly now that half the conference has departed?

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Great! The ACC will need whatever they can get since FSU, Clemson and others are leaving in the near future.

So Cal and Stanford are supposed to do what exactly now that half the conference has departed?
Make less money while spending more to fly across the country just to run their athletic department into the ground. Sounds like a plan.

All about markets and recruiting areas. Add perception and it sells.
Colorado and Arizona are not big recruiting areas. They were 2 of the least valuable programs in football that the Pac 12 had. Wvu has a bigger football stadium then both these teams and has more all-time wins and a better winning %

Make less money while spending more to fly across the country just to run their athletic department into the ground. Sounds like a plan.
You think the ACC pays less than Cal, Stanford, ASU, Utah, OSU and WSU + SDSU and a few other MWC fill ins? I would also think that Stanford will send their Olympic sports to a local conference like the WCC rather than have water polo heading to Boston.

You think the ACC pays less than Cal, Stanford, ASU, Utah, OSU and WSU + SDSU and a few other MWC fill ins? I would also think that Stanford will send their Olympic sports to a local conference like the WCC rather than have water polo heading to Boston.
Let’s be honest, Stanford and Cal would only view the ACC as a temporary holding place until the Big10 expands again. At least that is their hope. Once FSU and Clemson can leave, they’re gone. Everyone knows that. Who knows where the other dominoes fall. It’s gonna come down to the Big 12 or ACC to go or merge.

Not any longer, unless they crawl back to Apple and beg for the same deal offered and reported in the Athletic on 8/5/23 for the PAC 10 plus SDSU. That deal came in under the current ACC deal, but counter offered up to 25 million base. ACC is at 23.3 each. At 23 (the first offer) they do not burn through the budget flying across the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT