ADVERTISEMENT

GM cutting almost 15 thousand jobs

I am glad that the WSJ wrote an article to make you feel better. You should thank them.
Just trying to help you out. Thought maybe you'd learn something from them, since you're clearly dug in on here.

Just trying to help you out. Thought maybe you'd learn something from them, since you're clearly dug in on here.
I am clearly dug in on what? You have made way more claims in this thread of what I have said than claims I have actually made.

How? I said tariffs played a major role in every post this thread. Still do, still believe it.
So, almost half the jobs were in a plant in Canada (No Tariffs), the rest were in plants in the US but mostly in plants that are ceasing specific models due to low sales.

Now, how again are tariffs not only a factor, but a “major role”? Moreover, tariffs haven’t been in place long enough to force these kinds of moves. GTFOH.
I think Coop said that tariffs jacking costs and customer preferences towards new technologies are forcing GM to re-evaluate it’s future

WSJ blaming poor widdle Trump for imposing government dominance over markets. The tariffs are a MAJOR factor in the business decisions.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-gm-isnt-likely-to-stop-making-cars-in-china-1543320164

BTW - GM didn't say tariffs a single time in their release. They are tiptoeing around Trump.
The WSJ, in other words, the paper representing the interests of the Street writes a story with negative spin on tariffs?

tenor.gif

So, almost half the jobs were in a plant in Canada (No Tariffs), the rest were in plants in the US but mostly in plants that are ceasing specific models due to low sales.

Now, how again are tariffs not only a factor, but a “major factor”? Moreover, tariffs haven’t been in place long enough to force these kinds of moves. GTFOH.
I’m an idiot in business and economics, but don’t businesses make plans according to future projected costs and revenue? And wouldn’t the plant in the US still impact their overall costs as a Corp?

The WSJ, in other words, the paper representing the interests of the Street writes a story with negative spin on tariffs?

tenor.gif
It's not a negative spin on tariffs. It explains what happens with tariffs. Glad you are now coming out as anti Wall Street under Trump! italianchefkissesfingers.emoji

I’m an idiot in business and economics, but don’t businesses make plans according to future projected costs and revenue? And wouldn’t the plant in the US still impact their overall costs as a Corp?
Unpossible!

Plants in the US (multiple). The ones in the US are mostly dedicated to models that are being shitcanned due to poor sales, not increased costs. The one in Canadia is most certainly not due to tariffs.

I’m not advocating for tariffs. Coop presented facts in a way i’d not considered before in that context and I changed my mind once I did some more research into the areas he’d raised. I’m merely stating that in this instance, I don’t assess the tariffs as the culprit.

The company has said tariffs on imported steel, imposed earlier this year by the Trump administration, have cost it $1 billion.

Maybe they can convert the plants over to Tahoe,Suburban and Silverado production.

Capitalism at its best, billionaire President wielding power and control from the oval
Let me throw this at you.

Suppose the actions of GM are running counter to a larger Govt financial warfare action against our chief geopolitical adversary? Does the President not have a responsibility to snap these corporate organizations into line with what his agenda is?

It would obviously be more prudent to have built a coalition of support vs bullying these companies.

Let me throw this at you.

Suppose the actions of GM are running counter to a larger Govt financial warfare action against our chief geopolitical adversary? Does the President not have a responsibility to snap these corporate organizations into line with what his agenda is?

It would obviously be more prudent to have built a coalition of support vs bullying these companies.
GM doesn’t have to answer to anyone except their shareholders. And if they find the most prudent path to retool plants for a different model line is through targeted plant closings and layoffs, that’s just sound decision making. Biff just needs to STFU.

Reactions: countryroads89
GM doesn’t have to answer to anyone except their shareholders. And if they find the most prudent path to retool plants for a different model line is through targeted plant closings and layoffs, that’s just sound decision making. Biff just needs to STFU.
False.

Like it or not, the President sets the agenda for National Security. If they’re impacting his plans, they’re damaging national security. Think of this as being analogous to of a corporation just decided to start doing business with Iran. Obviously we have sanctions against Iran. Putting sanctions on China would cripple the markets and put us on a direct path to war. So, in the interim, we cripple them financially through trade measures which also hurt us but less so than if we sanctioned them.

Just food for thought.

False.

Like it or not, the President sets the agenda for National Security. If they’re impacting his plans, they’re damaging national security. Think of this as being analogous to of a corporation just decided to start doing business with Iran. Obviously we have sanctions against Iran. Putting sanctions on China would cripple the markets and put us on a direct path to war. So, in the interim, we cripple them financially through trade measures which also hurt us but less so than if we sanctioned them.

Just food for thought.
JFC, how the conservative agenda has changed.....guess it all matters which party is in the oval

JFC, how the conservative agenda has changed.....guess it all matters which party is in the oval
Do you think the conservatives would have been pushing to trade with Iran and Cuba?

If you apply this in the proper context, which is National Security, it’s totally appropriate. Make no mistake, we’re now at war with China, finally. This isn’t just some trade negotiation bullshit.

Less than 100 bucks per car sold.

How do you figure that?

I’ll answer for you. The tariffs were put in place in mid March, 8 months ago. GM has sold on average, 250,000 vehicles per month. That totals approximately 2,000,000 vehicles sold in that time frame. If it has cost them $1 billion, it averages out to $500 dollars per vehicle sold.

You are wrong as usual.

I’ll answer for you. The tariffs were put in place in mid March, 8 months ago. GM has sold on average, 250,000 vehicles per month. That totals approximately 2,000,000 vehicles sold in that time frame. If it has cost them $1 billion, it averages out to $500 dollars per vehicle sold.

You are wrong as usual.
Google says:
This statistic represents the number of carsGeneral Motors sold globally from 2013 to2017. In 2017, General Motors sold around 9.6 million vehicles, globally.

10 million X 100 equals 1 billion

Google says:
This statistic represents the number of carsGeneral Motors sold globally from 2013 to2017. In 2017, General Motors sold around 9.6 million vehicles, globally.

10 million X 100 equals 1 billion

You understand that the problem is that they have had to raise car prices by close to $5k just to cover their increased cost, which is why they are not selling enough cars to keep these plants open. So you solution is to raise them more? Bey ou ns that, tarrifs are set to rise, so cars will have to go up more too.

This is why we told you that tarrifs would cost more jobs than they protected. This is your bed, lay in it. There will be more of this coming.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
You understand that the problem is that they have had to raise car prices by close to $5k just to cover their increased cost, which is why they are not selling enough cars to keep these plants open. So you solution is to raise them more? Bey ou ns that, tarrifs are set to rise, so cars will have to go up more too.

This is why we told you that tarrifs would cost more jobs than they protected. This is your bed, lay in it. There will be more of this coming.
Math is not your strongpoint.

You are wrong as usual.

So they're not going to pass that cost increase onto consumers?

Riiiiiighhttttt.....

Do you think the conservatives would have been pushing to trade with Iran and Cuba?

If you apply this in the proper context, which is National Security, it’s totally appropriate. Make no mistake, we’re now at war with China, finally. This isn’t just some trade negotiation bullshit.
Point taken, and if that’s the case.....I’d rather they be open about it. Then comes the time I’m happy guys like you are on our side.

False.

Just food for thought.
Good luck with that. As a shareholder, my executive staff better find a way to meet my targets. Period. If Biff is waging a war against a nation, I could give zero Fvcks. Meet my targets, period.

Good luck with that. As a shareholder, my executive staff better find a way to meet my targets. Period. If Biff is waging a war against a nation, I could give zero Fvcks. Meet my targets, period.
It’s almost like GM and other major publicly traded organizations have had 2 years to prepare accordingly. It’s not like it hasn’t been forecasted. The difference is that the Street thought it would buffalo Biff into submission.

Remember, he doesn't like Trump..........at least he keeps telling us that.
Some of us don't let liking,disliking,blind hatred and politics cloud our minds. I'll decide if the tariffs were a good or bad deal when the end game is played out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT