ADVERTISEMENT

From ESPN: MIKE CAREY is a Classy Coach......................

WVBlue

All-American
Sep 27, 2001
A Classy Coach Helped An Opposing Player Join The 1,000-Point Club

By D'Arcy Maine | Mar 31, 2015
espnW.com

West Virginia was leading Villanova 73-67 with 7.9 seconds remaining in overtime on Sunday in a WNIT quarterfinal. And then something awesome happened.

Knowing that Wildcats senior Emily Leer had 999 career points, Mountaineers coach Mike Carey told his players to intentionally foul her so she could get to the free throw line. She managed to hit one of her two attempts and officially joined the 1,000-point club. West Virginia emerged victorious, 75-70, but sportsmanship was clearly the day's real winner.

WATCH the VIDEO

LINK

This post was edited on 3/31 4:01 PM by WVBlue

ESPN - W

Re: VERY cool **

Originally posted by COOL MAN: VERY cool

I tried to keep my mouth shut...but I can't (really, I deserve a handicap spot at Walmart) ....

I don't think it's cool. Someone just had their record broke because of a 'gift'.

Favre (and many others recently) did it in the NFL and I don't think it's a 'kind' or 'respectful' act...but rather DISRESPECTFUL to the person who previously EARNED the record.

Matter of fact...I think it's a disrespectful 'gift' to the new owner of the record.

EDIT: What's the limit ?? How many people get a 'free pass' to a 1000 points ??
This post was edited on 3/31 6:47 PM by LowFatMilk

Carey has been a winner at every stop......it's amazing what he's done with the WVU women over many years.

Too bad for him, and maybe us that he never had a shot at coaching our mens team.

it is very cool

grace trumps judgment every time. what matters is the goodness of the graceful act by the coach to hammer down the judgmental perspective of "it's a gift". We receive so many gifts in life and more often than not don't appreciate or acknowledge them from others. There are countless times to say thank you when a gift is given. Not to get preachy but Jesus healed 10 lepers and only 1 said thank you. humility is a wonderful trait and the coach showed it. It was an act of kindness and she earned it by hitting the shot putting her at or over 1000 points.

I'm in agreement. It should've never happened. It is disrespectful to everyone who earned their way into the 1000 point club. Just like inducting bill mazeroski into the mlb hall of fame, it cheapens the club and records.

Originally posted by LowFatMilk:
I tried to keep my mouth shut...but I can't (really, I deserve a handicap spot at Walmart) ....

I don't think it's cool. Someone just had their record broke because of a 'gift'.

Favre (and many others recently) did it in the NFL and I don't think it's a 'kind' or 'respectful' act...but rather DISRESPECTFUL to the person who previously EARNED the record.

Matter of fact...I think it's a disrespectful 'gift' to the new owner of the record.

EDIT: What's the limit ?? How many people get a 'free pass' to a 1000 points ??
This post was edited on 3/31 6:47 PM by LowFatMilk
As usual you're completely clueless. No one's record was broken. There is no "record" to be broken here. A kid got a point to get to the 1000 point mark in her career. A nice milestone, but not remotely record breaking. It takes nothing away from anyone. It was a nice gesture to end a young lady's nice career. Everyone with a clue understood that. Then there was you...

Originally posted by ThePunish-EER:
I'm in agreement. It should've never happened. It is disrespectful to everyone who earned their way into the 1000 point club. Just like inducting bill mazeroski into the mlb hall of fame, it cheapens the club and records.
laugh.r191677.gif
Yeah, the generally recognized greatest defensive second baseman to ever play the game shouldn't be in the HOF. Everyone knows baseball is all about offense. Defensive prowess is meaningless. Guys like Ozzie Smith and Mazeroski were a dime a dozen.

You can't make this kind of stupidity up.
chairshot.r191677.gif

She earned the point. She was fouled, missed one, made one. Coach was classy in allowing her the chance, but she had to earn it. Good grief!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz **

nm

Excellent post!

This act of consideration will affect these girls and many others for a long time. "A person's character is reflected in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them".

She didn't break anyone's record. She recorded 1000 points.

Ask the young lady if she appreciated the gesture or felt 'disrespected. It was a classy thing to do.

Sometimes doing something nice is just doing something nice.

The hall of fame is for the best all around players in the game. A career .250 or .260 hitter with no power doesn't cut it. Otherwise, maybe we should throw jack Wilson into the hall of fame. Ask most fans what they thought of mazeroskis induction. Most hated it. Except pittsburgh fans of course

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz **

NM

MIKE CAREY is a Classy Coach......................

Did you ever see Coach Carey when he wasn't chewing gum? At games and pre/post game interviews he always seems to be chewing something. I wonder who his dentist is and if he approves? As far as his coaching abilities he appears to be top notch and his players seem to respond. Beat Temple and win the WNIT Championship and we can all break out the bubble gum. Go Mountaineers!

Nice

ku-medium-7.jpg

_____________________-
I'm in agreement. It should've never happened. It is
disrespectful to everyone who earned their way into the 1000 point club.
Just like inducting bill mazeroski into the mlb hall of fame, it
cheapens the club and records.

This post was edited on 4/1 7:01 PM by Phil1972

So, the people who actually have a vote for the Hall of Fame thought he deserved it, but you don't. Sounds about right.

Originally posted by ThePunish-EER:
The hall of fame is for the best all around players in the game. A career .250 or .260 hitter with no power doesn't cut it. Otherwise, maybe we should throw jack Wilson into the hall of fame. Ask most fans what they thought of mazeroskis induction. Most hated it. Except pittsburgh fans of course
So, the first man to hit a walk off home run to win a World Series does not belong in the Hall of Fame???? And before you climb my tree, Rose deserves to be there also.

Oh so because a man hit a game winning homer in a world series, he deserves hall of fame? Maybe the Atlanta Braves Francisco Cabrera deserves the hall of fame for his winning hit in the playoffs? Laughable. And no, pete rose bet on baseball. He doesn't deserve it. Just like the PED players like Barry bonds doesn't deserve it.

I would have a 1000 points scored too... ...if the 'gifts' started in game one of my college career.

...but that would be unethical.

Cheating for stats is only OK on the ass end.

...and for those that have made the choice to not notice...

..we live in a era where welfare (received) is admired...instead of being an embarrassment to the recipient. I would have LOVED to see her refuse to take those gift shots....she would have become a SPORTS LEGEND !!!!

...but instead... ...she's just a 1000 point scorer in women's basketball.

---------

I feel bad for those that don't understand 'honor'.... ...and 'really' earning something/anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT