ADVERTISEMENT

For you Nehlen fanatics. WVU history question.

SKYHAWKBALL

All-American
Oct 28, 2005
During his last few years, were there rumblings about wanting him to be fired. In what season was the most turmoil due to this? Did they just let him finish out and ride off into an easy “retirement” instead of firing him that last year?

who were some of the coaches being considered for the WVU job along with GOAT Rod?

Nehlen was ready to accept the Ohio State job that went to someone else so he stayed at WVU. He was good for my alma mater for 21 years and averaged 7-4 seasons. I appreciate what he did for my alma mater and enjoy driving on Don Nehlen Drive to get to my Light Blue Lot parking spot for Mountaineer Field games. Everyone, as the joke goes, drives up the middle on Don Nehlen Drive.

Reactions: mofo
I'm pretty sure the top candidates were Lee Corso and Bob Pruett, who surprisingly removed himself from contention before Rod was named coach.

• Haha
Reactions: WVUALLEN
CFE...are you sure it is your alma mater? you should tell us a bit about your life history. we are all sooooooo interested in you!

Nehlen made WVU a respected program. Any team playing WVU knew it would be a physical game. Just solid, old school. Used fullbacks, tightends - along with good mix of RBs and WRs. He ran a clean program and generally had a winning record... averaged 7-4, but also had two 11-0 regular seasons. He had a couple of 4-7 sseasons... but those were after graduating a lot of talent and was recognized as rebuilding years.

However, by the end of his career his coaching seemed a bit stale - and the criticism became "7-4, but Rutgers, Temple, and a nobody in the opener - meant Nehlen was going 4-4 against the Syracuses, BC, VaTechs, and Miamis.

I *think* I remember planes flying banners against him at the end... telling him to resign.

The other criticism was he couldn't win bowl games. He lost 8 in a row.
Strangely though, he was 3-1 in his first 4 bowl games - with 2 being upset wins. The 26-6 win over Florida was considered a huge upset.

The team in 1999 (4-7) was the the firing point for many lame fans. Also under performed in 1994 (7-6), 1995 (5-6), 1997 (7-5) and 1999 (4-7). Although he only had 2 losing seasons in the 90's those 4 should have won more than 7 games. He was not fired or pressured by anyone that mattered. He realized it was time after 21 years to step down.

I don't recall if there were any other applicants besides Rodriguez after he retired. I believe Nehlen wanted someone from his staff to get the job though.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Nehlen made WVU a respected program. Any team playing WVU knew it would be a physical game. Just solid, old school. Used fullbacks, tightends - along with good mix of RBs and WRs. He ran a clean program and generally had a winning record... averaged 7-4, but also had two 11-0 regular seasons. He had a couple of 4-7 sseasons... but those were after graduating a lot of talent and was recognized as rebuilding years.

However, by the end of his career his coaching seemed a bit stale - and the criticism became "7-4, but Rutgers, Temple, and a nobody in the opener - meant Nehlen was going 4-4 against the Syracuses, BC, VaTechs, and Miamis.

I *think* I remember planes flying banners against him at the end... telling him to resign.

The other criticism was he couldn't win bowl games. He lost 8 in a row.
Strangely though, he was 3-1 in his first 4 bowl games - with 2 being upset wins. The 26-6 win over Florida was considered a huge upset.
"Sooner or Gator, you gotta believe!"

Reactions: 1duluth1
Every great coach has a time and place. Don was exactly what we needed when we needed him. He made our program a respected, highly competitive underdog and even had us in a the National Championship game against ND. He may have had a few down years but that was in the days when we got mostly 2 and 3 star players who had to redshirt and use their freshman and sophomore years to develop so they could make major contributions as junior and seniors. He was loyal to WVU. We all Knew the one job he would leave for but we were fortunate that they hired someone else and Don stayed here. During the last years, the game may have started to pass him by but he did not overstay his welcome. We owe Don, a lot more than an additional not up to par year or two for what he did for WVU football. IMHO, he set the stage for his successor who inherited a program significantly more respected and talented than the one Don inherited. I'll leave it at that. We all know how that story ended.

Every great coach has a time and place. Don was exactly what we needed when we needed him. He made our program a respected, highly competitive underdog and even had us in a the National Championship game against ND. He may have had a few down years but that was in the days when we got mostly 2 and 3 star players who had to redshirt and use their freshman and sophomore years to develop so they could make major contributions as junior and seniors. He was loyal to WVU. We all Knew the one job he would leave for but we were fortunate that they hired someone else and Don stayed here. During the last years, the game may have started to pass him by but he did not overstay his welcome. We owe Don, a lot more than an additional not up to par year or two for what he did for WVU football. IMHO, he set the stage for his successor who inherited a program significantly more respected and talented than the one Don inherited. I'll leave it at that. We all know how that story ended.

WELL WRITTEN. DON RESCUED THE PROGRAM. YES, 7-4 SEASON AVERAGE. BUT RESPECTABILITY, TOO.

NEHLEN was READY TO ACCEPT OHIO ST JOB that went to someone else so he stayed at WVU. He was good for my alma mater for 21 years and averaged 7-4 seasons. I appreciate what he did for my alma mater and enjoy driving on Don Nehlen Drive to get to my Light Blue Lot parking spot for Mountaineer Field games. Everyone, as the joke goes, drives up the middle on Don Nehlen Drive.

LOL man are you hillbilly fanboys priceless.

ACC Champs 😂
You helped win that title? Cool. Didn't know spitt fans were ACC champs too.

Dont get murdered in Atlanta....I will keep my fingers crossed that hopefully someone will kick your ass....or is this the retarded cousin Elmo posting or the inbred cousin.

Hard to keep you trailer park garbage straight.

You helped win that title? Cool. Didn't know spitt fans were ACC champs too.

Dont get murdered in Atlanta....I will keep my fingers crossed that hopefully someone will kick your ass....or is this the retarded cousin Elmo posting or the inbred cousin.

Hard to keep you trailer park garbage straight.

Dude didn’t you hear? I caught a 31 yard toudy against UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT