ADVERTISEMENT

For the first time in a long time

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
I am more excited about the basketball season than I am about football....and it has nothing to do with football --by now we know what we're going to get with HCNB sooo whateves--. And to be honest, I don't even care if the hoops team turns out to be a big flaming ball of pooh! I'm just happy to have a clean break from the old regime, a change of coaching/playing styles, and a renewed sense of optimism.

I share all that. Wish Huggins could have conjured up a better ending, but I think most of the fanbase is ready to move on

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I am more excited about the basketball season than I am about football....and it has nothing to do with football --by now we know what we're going to get with HCNB sooo whateves--. And to be honest, I don't even care if the hoops team turns out to be a big flaming ball of pooh! I'm just happy to have a clean break from the old regime, a change of coaching/playing styles, and a renewed sense of optimism.
While we like to joke about it, there is no question that WVU is a football-first school. But unlike many 'football-first schools', WVU's fans are serious about their support of the basketball program. I can get what you're saying but with a lot of talent returning on football I think most are first focused on that. I can understand why some, like you, are looking past football because you're so ready for a change.

I'm interested to see if the improvements for football are real and being competitive is a must.

But yes I'm very excited for basketball and new coaching staff. I can see Devries being a JB type coach. Which worries me because he may only be here 5 to 7 years. With that said then it would mean he has turned things back to success.

There is usually reason to be more excited about a new coach than an established coach unless the latter is preforming at a high level. And that is because the new guy is an unknown commodity and it will be interesting to see how he does.

I still feel last year's FB season was like Holgorsen's 10 win year in 2016 which was a down year for the schedule more so than the program turning a corner. And unless Garrett and Jahiem can do a Pat and Steve impression, I think the offense will fail to keep up against the tougher opponents on the schedule.

While we like to joke about it, there is no question that WVU is a football-first school. But unlike many 'football-first schools', WVU's fans are serious about their support of the basketball program. I can get what you're saying but with a lot of talent returning on football I think most are first focused on that. I can understand why some, like you, are looking past football because you're so ready for a change.
I don’t really get it. Football is our marquee brand. To be excellent a program needs high level talent/performance of its offense, defense, special teams, strength and conditioning, and in game coaching. It also is important to have a positive press presence and smoothly operating AD support. Hard to accomplish and harder to sustain. I can remember many periods where we were one brick shy of a load and had average or poor results. We seem to have all aspects of success within reach.

Baker has done well with his picks for coaches. CRT is a positive for $$ for bringing in talent.
Brown has built a solid staff, explosive offense, good STs, and an effective D.
Press has generally been positive and recruiting has been trending up.

Feel like we should fully appreciate what football is about to do. All other WVU teams benefit from FB success. So does the schools enrollment. I have high hopes we stay aggressive with play calling and have a good secondary. We are poised to build on last years success and our fans should embrace this team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT