ADVERTISEMENT

Football not as far off as it once seemed...wonder who

80-90% of the bowl games are now boring as hell, and not even as enjoyable as many regular season games. Used to be a time when bowl games would excite an entire fan base, back in the day when making it to a bowl game was seen as an accomplishment. Now days, with 80 teams making it to bowls, many of which are 6-6 and even 5-7, it just doesn't do much for me any longer. Hell, I run a big bowl pool just to be able to have any interest at all in probably 80% of the games. Outside of the playoffs and a few other select bowl games, the rest of them don't do much for me any longer.

Herd will probably finish about 7-5 or 8-4 this year. Since the bowls have gone to the conference affiliated format (which I hate), their options for an opponent are already a given - SunBelt, AAC, or MAC. Of course, it could be that bowl game in Texas against the BIG 10 or BIG 12 worse team to make a bowl game, but Doc won't go to Texas. It's Florida or bust.

Reactions: 30CAT
80-90% of the bowl games are now boring as hell, and not even as enjoyable as many regular season games. Used to be a time when bowl games would excite an entire fan base, back in the day when making it to a bowl game was seen as an accomplishment. Now days, with 80 teams making it to bowls, many of which are 6-6 and even 5-7, it just doesn't do much for me any longer. Hell, I run a big bowl pool just to be able to have any interest at all in probably 80% of the games. Outside of the playoffs and a few other select bowl games, the rest of them don't do much for me any longer.

Herd will probably finish about 7-5 or 8-4 this year. Since the bowls have gone to the conference affiliated format (which I hate), their options for an opponent are already a given - SunBelt, AAC, or MAC. Of course, it could be that bowl game in Texas against the BIG 10 or BIG 12 worse team to make a bowl game, but Doc won't go to Texas. It's Florida or bust.
I think we'll be better than the record you suggest. Louisville will be a test as will Pitt on the road. S. Miss on the road will also be tough....but the rest I think we win but Akron causes me some pause as it has the look of the dreaded "trap game". But we don't have to wait much longer.

2016-2017 SCHEDULE
Overall
0-0
Conf.
0-0
Home
0-0
Away
0-0
Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result
09/10/16 vs. Morgan State
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 6:00 p.m. ET
09/17/16 vs. Akron
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 12:00 p.m. ET
09/24/16 vs. Louisville
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 8:00 p.m. ET
10/01/16 at Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, Pa. TBA
10/08/16 at North Texas *
media-icon-tv.gif
Denton, Tx. 7:00 p.m. ET
10/15/16 vs. Florida Atlantic (Homecoming) *
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 7:00 p.m. ET
10/22/16 vs. Charlotte *
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 5:30 p.m. ET
10/29/16 at Southern Miss *
media-icon-tv.gif
Hattiesburg, Ms. 7:00 p.m. ET
11/05/16 at Old Dominion *
media-icon-tv.gif
Norfolk, Va. 7:00 p.m. ET
11/12/16 vs. Middle Tennessee *
media-icon-tv.gif
11/19/16 at FIU *
media-icon-tv.gif
Miami, Fla. 7:00 p.m. ET
11/26/16 vs. Western Kentucky *
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. TBA

2016-2017 SCHEDULE
Overall
0-0
Conf.
0-0
Home
0-0
Away
0-0
Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result
09/10/16 vs. Morgan State
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 6:00 p.m. ET
09/17/16 vs. Akron
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 12:00 p.m. ET
09/24/16 vs. Louisville
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 8:00 p.m. ET
10/01/16 at Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, Pa. TBA
10/08/16 at North Texas *
media-icon-tv.gif
Denton, Tx. 7:00 p.m. ET
10/15/16 vs. Florida Atlantic (Homecoming) *
media-icon-tv.gif
10/22/16 vs. Charlotte *
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. 5:30 p.m. ET
10/29/16 at Southern Miss *
media-icon-tv.gif
Hattiesburg, Ms. 7:00 p.m. ET
11/05/16 at Old Dominion *
media-icon-tv.gif
Norfolk, Va. 7:00 p.m. ET
11/12/16 vs. Middle Tennessee *
media-icon-tv.gif
11/19/16 at FIU *
media-icon-tv.gif
Miami, Fla. 7:00 p.m. ET
11/26/16 vs. Western Kentucky *
media-icon-tv.gif
Huntington, W.Va. TBA
Akron falls at a tough time, Zips ain't a bad team and if we're looking ahead to Louisville and Pitt we could have trouble. If we play, we'll beat Akron but if we're just sleepwalking through the game, look out! WKU lost ton of good players and we owe them an ass beating. Long day for the 'toppers.

Wait, you mean the Herd ended up with a BYE week during the opening week? WTH

Based on how I see the point spreads, there's 7 auto wins, 4 likely losses, and 1 tossup. Akron shouldn't be very good. I saw something up here in the paper not long ago, where they lost 17-18 starters from last year's team.

Wait, you mean the Herd ended up with a BYE week during the opening week? WTH

Based on how I see the point spreads, there's 7 auto wins, 4 likely losses, and 1 tossup. Akron shouldn't be very good. I saw something up here in the paper not long ago, where they lost 17-18 starters from last year's team.
If we struggle with Morgan State in the opener things won't go as well as I hope. Akron 's off a bowl win and although they lost some players as you point out, they return their starting QB and Terry's several years into that program, I don't expect that game to be a day a the beach.

Hopefully, the Herd can travel up to Heinz and knock off the Panthers. That's a revenge game for the Herd. As you may recall, Pitt knocked the cousins out of a chance at a big game several years back, 13 to 9. We'll have to take up for our little brothers, and beat up on the Panthers, just as we did with the Terps in 2013.

Hopefully, the Herd can travel up to Heinz and knock off the Panthers. That's a revenge game for the Herd. As you may recall, Pitt knocked the cousins out of a chance at a big game several years back, 13 to 9. We'll have to take up for our little brothers, and beat up on the Panthers, just as we did with the Terps in 2013.
The timing of the Pitt games is some cause for concern, IMHO. If we can beat Louisville, tough to get our kids back down to Earth for a road game against a tough Pitt team. If we lose still tough to get them up for a road game. I always kind of layed that Pitt win over WVU at RichRod's feet, arguably the biggest game in WVU history and Mounties came out flat as a board. They we're much the better team playing at home and simply lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT