ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion article: WVU one of top choices for ACC or SEC

And that's fine, but you aren't going to get the same content paying less. (Not necessarily you personally, but viewers/sports fans in general).

Relating this back to the original point, the other poster you mentioned is wrong, in that Rutgers and Maryland don't have anything to do with other schools getting into the Big Ten (or another conference), and future developments in the TV industry don't invalidate the Big Ten's decision at the time.
I am not sure why the B10 is even being discussed. The money saved is easily an elk hunt every year. That content is certainly better than what I am giving up.

I am not sure why the B10 is even being discussed. The money saved is easily an elk hunt every year. That content is certainly better than what I am giving up.

This is why the Big Ten is being discussed:
The ACC had their chance and failed. So "if" a realignment happens after 2025 I believe West Virginia University would be approached by the SEC then the BIG 10. IMO

If Wvu wants a chance in the Big 10 or Sec it needs to step it up in football. Going better than 7-5 only once every 5 years isn't going to cut it in those leagues

Well, the big 10 just added rutgers and maryland so that's not exactly true.

As far as TV content, you don't understand my point. NOW, you can cut the cord and get most of what you want to see. The only reason for that is, NOW, these networks are still getting revenue from cable. It's diminished yes, but it's still there. These networks can afford to make less from streaming services, because they are still getting covered on the back end by cable income.

When cable dies, these networks will be COMPLETELY dependent on streaming services for income. When that happens, they simply won't be able to exist on the streaming revenue generated now. That mean, they will either have to start charging more (meaning you start paying more), or a bunch of them have to go out of business. Maybe it's not the channels you watch, maybe it is. It's a crap shot at this point. The point is, the market isn't going to stay the same as it is now, and that's going to have consequences.

IMHO - the simple facts are these - 1) college football remains the most sporting
event in the US of A. 2) folks want to watch it 3) because of 1 and 2 companies want to
advertise 4) this advertising produces mega bucks for what ever medium (tv, computer, phones,
I-pads, tablets, etc) are carrying the games. 5) money will be available to pay conferences
for the right to carry the games.

How the games get to us will continue to evolve. I suggest that the facts above will remain part of the system.

IMHO - the simple facts are these - 1) college football remains the most sporting
event in the US of A. 2) folks want to watch it 3) because of 1 and 2 companies want to
advertise 4) this advertising produces mega bucks for what ever medium (tv, computer, phones,
I-pads, tablets, etc) are carrying the games. 5) money will be available to pay conferences
for the right to carry the games.

How the games get to us will continue to evolve. I suggest that the facts above will remain part of the system.

Not to this extent. College football is popular, but the actual ratings most of the games draw aren't inline with the value of the contracts right now. You won't see these outrageous TV contracts forever.

Reactions: Rootmaster
From having a little info on conference realignment last time around I can tell you that the sec is probably most likely if they were to expand. This would depend on how the cards fall.
Pros: consistency in athletics and commitment from the school.
Ratings are middle of the road, but consistent enough.

Con: the major one that made wvu not a consideration from the big and acc last time was academics.
The market they bring isn't a huge one, and it's not a growing market. (Not as important as it once was)

It's tough to tell what will happen. I don't think the acc or big are going to invite wvu unless there are some other moves that are happening or rumored to happen. Both conferences still hold pretty tight to academics, and I'm going to call a spade a spade, but wvu doesn't have the academic reputation to satisfy everyone in those two conferences.

I can see wvu moving into the sec as they continue to try to expand. I would be surprised if it happens without another school moving first, but it could.

It seems strange that so many other factors come into play, and that athletics are less important. (It unfairly discriminates against wvu a little)
However, if a move is made it will be interesting to see what happens. The big 12 is certainly looking volatile.

From having a little info on conference realignment last time around I can tell you that the sec is probably most likely if they were to expand. This would depend on how the cards fall.

Con: the major one that made wvu not a consideration from the big and acc last time was academics.
The market they bring isn't a huge one, and it's not a growing market. (Not as important as it once was)

It's tough to tell what will happen. I don't think the acc or big are going to invite wvu unless there are some other moves that are happening or rumored to happen. Both conferences still hold pretty tight to academics, and I'm going to call a spade a spade, but wvu doesn't have the academic reputation to satisfy everyone in those two conferences.

I can see wvu moving into the sec as they continue to try to expand. I would be surprised if it happens without another school moving first, but it could.

It seems strange that so many other factors come into play, and that athletics are less important. (It unfairly discriminates against wvu a little)
However, if a move is made it will be interesting to see what happens. The big 12 is certainly looking volatile.

First, your average SEC fan has respect for West Virginia and would like to see them in the league unlike a sizable chunk of ACC fans. Obviously that doesn't get you into a conference but we have support there. Second, I think a SEC footprint knifing into PA and OH and creating a boarder with MD holds value. Local SEC coverage seeping across those boarders and SEC football in the middle of the B10 and ACC backyards makes strategic sense. I wouldn't want to see it if I were B10/ACC.

The academics argument is a empty attempt by those against WVU who cling to anything in which to make themselves feel superior. The actual facts. WVU is classified as a Research 1 institution along with approximately 115 other colleges and universities.

Reactions: JediMastEER
Reality check: ACC has turned up its nose to letting WVU join its snooty club THREE times already. SEC and Big 10 also has passed. What makes you think any of these 3 conferences would allow we "hillbillies" into their treehouse this time? I'm just glad that Oliver Luck got us into the Big 12 because otherwise we would be in the glorious American Athletic Conference or Conference USA. I think one of those nothing leagues includes Marshall but it's too unimportant to check.

That was prior to UL, Pitt, SU and ND having a vote. I think we end up there next and the ACC will approach us, not the other way around.

If Wvu wants a chance in the Big 10 or Sec it needs to step it up in football. Going better than 7-5 only once every 5 years isn't going to cut it in those leagues
Come on--try real hard. Say something positive. Please. Try it. I realize such constitutes a departure from your normal attitude and manner of operating. But, just for once, try having a positive thought. Then you can revert to being your usual self.

Last edited:
You're first sentence is correct. You're second sentence makes you look like the homer tool that you obviously are. Did you miss this year's Bowl game? A middle of the pack ACC team humiliated WVU. Some of you homers are clueless.
One game and one game only. Only an idiot or one totally uninformed performs one experiment and proceeds to write an exhaustive treatise on the subject. Your reference to this one game and the attempt to draw larger conclusions is on that same plane.

One game and one game only. Only an idiot or one totally uninformed performs one experiment and proceeds to write an exhaustive treatise on the subject. Your reference to this one game and the attempt to draw larger conclusions is on that same plane.

I posted that on April 16 you F'n moron!!! Crawl back under your rock LOL.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
That was prior to UL, Pitt, SU and ND having a vote. I think we end up there next and the ACC will approach us, not the other way around.
What leads you to believe that any of these 4 schools would vote for WVU instead of UCONN or Cincy or even Temple? Don't know why the ACC would want more teams to split the pie with anyway, it isn't like they aren't continuing to find national success in all sports with the teams they have. Why would they want or need a more difficult schedule, why would they want or need such a blue-collar fanbase at their wine and cheese parties? Fact is, outside of our own rabid fanbase, I don't think any of the other major schools really G.A.S. about what happens to WVU nor are they particularly concerned about restoring old rivalries. If it isn't a financial win for them, what is the motivation? I think that if the Big12 falls apart, WVU could easily get left behind by all the major conferences. I can see conferences expanding to get schools like Texas or Oklahoma or Notre Dame, but I don't know if there are any other schools that move a decision to expand beyond where they are now. The only way we get in somewhere is if one of these three schools goes all in to another conference and there is an odd number of schools that they want to balance. Even that is an uncertain scenario.

Come on--try real hard. Say something positive. Please. Try it. I realize such constitutes a departure from your normal attitude and manner of operating. But, just for once, try having a positive thought. Then you can revert to being your usual self.
put your thinking cap on for a change and stop living in fantasy land. I know that would be a departure from your delusional thought process.

West Virginia possible conference affiliation after 2025. I'll list them in order from most likely to not going to happen. IMO

1. BIG XII
2. SEC
3. BIG 10
4. AAC
5. PAC 12
6. Independent
7. MAC
8. CUSA
9. ACC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT