ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion article: WVU one of top choices for ACC or SEC

With the Texas and Oklahoma rumors swirling again…One would hope that WVU is receptive to any feelers being put out by other major conferences.

Anybody know how the voting would have to go to repeal the grant of rights of the conference? Seems to me that a good portion of the conference schools could line up a good landing spot.

The ACC had their chance and failed. So "if" a realignment happens after 2025 I believe West Virginia University would be approached by the SEC then the BIG 10. IMO
Reality check: ACC has turned up its nose to letting WVU join its snooty club THREE times already. SEC and Big 10 also has passed. What makes you think any of these 3 conferences would allow we "hillbillies" into their treehouse this time? I'm just glad that Oliver Luck got us into the Big 12 because otherwise we would be in the glorious American Athletic Conference or Conference USA. I think one of those nothing leagues includes Marshall but it's too unimportant to check.

Reactions: xafjag
Reality check: ACC has turned up its nose to letting WVU join its snooty club THREE times already. SEC and Big 10 also has passed. What makes you think any of these 3 conferences would allow we "hillbillies" into their treehouse this time? I'm just glad that Oliver Luck got us into the Big 12 because otherwise we would be in the glorious American Athletic Conference or Conference USA. I think one of those nothing leagues includes Marshall but it's too unimportant to check.

I agree with the Majority of your post. The ACC snub was much discussed on this board. So I remember the arrogance that a few of the ACC institutions showed when FSU and a couple others supported WVU joining.

As for the SEC we have a big WVU advocate in Nick Saban and Alabama. The BIG 10 I suggested just for the helluva it lol

The ACC had their chance and failed. So "if" a realignment happens after 2025 I believe West Virginia University would be approached by the SEC then the BIG 10. IMO
SEC would be the choice if that choice ever come up. WVU is a better fit for the SEC than several of the schools that are already in the SEC. WVU, KY an TN should be playing each other. Besides the SEC playing in Morgantown would help WVU and SEC recruiting.

this guy makes a good point in that other conferences will probably look at WVU as being a "Louisville Clone".....excellent athlete programs and a mediocre academic ranking.
Having said that, the fact that WVU is now an R1 research school is HUGE going forward. Plus, by the time all these conferences changes begin in the future, WVU's athletic facilities will look a lot better than they do now.
Sometimes as WVU fans we actually undervalue our own "brand"...... This guy states that WVU is a "national brand" and will take that brand with it wherever it goes. I totally agree with that analysis.......
The fact that WVU will have been in the Big 12 for several years and will have been VERY successful for those years should be extremely beneficial to WVU in its future search for a conference home.
One other minor aspect for future consideration as far as the ACC is concerned is that the best football school in that conference is now headed by an ex-WVU president. Having Clements at Clemson surely won't hurt any future effort on WVU's part to get into that conference.

Last edited:
We have an advantage in the "all things being equal" department over most competitors because we bring elite level basketball as a kicker. We also are contiguous w/ all three conferences which doesnt hurt. The only way I dont see us getting into the SEC is if there is a (likely) mandate from Oklahoma legislature that OU and OSU are a package deal. Ideally, I would like to see UT, OU and OSU in the Pac 12 to clear the deck for ACC/SEC.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
We have an advantage in the "all things being equal" department over most competitors because we bring elite level basketball as a kicker. We also are contiguous w/ all three conferences which doesnt hurt. The only way I dont see us getting into the SEC is if there is a (likely) mandate from Oklahoma legislature that OU and OSU are a package deal. Ideally, I would like to see UT, OU and OSU in the Pac 12 to clear the deck for ACC/SEC.
IRWT, good points. Plus, we are the only school out there that might be interested in the ACC that is winning 10 in football and 28 in hoops that is already having that success in a P5 conference. Whether Cincy and UConn and others can do that well in a P5 conference is pure conjecture. We are sure thing! The college world has already seen us do it....

If Wvu wants a chance in the Big 10 or Sec it needs to step it up in football. Going better than 7-5 only once every 5 years isn't going to cut it in those leagues

SEC would be the choice if that choice ever come up. WVU is a better fit for the SEC than several of the schools that are already in the SEC. WVU, KY an TN should be playing each other. Besides the SEC playing in Morgantown would help WVU and SEC recruiting.
There are more former rivals of Wvu in the Acc than any other conference. If wvu can only do better than 7-5 once every 5 years in the Big 12 what would make you think they would exceed that In the Sec.

In terms of ACC and SEC, WVU would be one of a few that have successful football and basketball programs.

I expect WV will remain BXII for a while, but as it always has, it'll be changing someday. I have enjoyed BXII hoops, especially the Kansas games.

Tough to say a preference. Dislike the ACC, but it'd be fun to have a shot at the teams most WV fans dislike. I think I'd come to enjoy having Duke, UNC, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia and VT on the hoops schedule. Also would get road trip opportunities to visit Atlanta and Miami for games. Imagine Coach K & Duke coming to the Coliseum to face the press on Big Monday. ESPN would be all over it. Football would get back several old rivalries as well.

As a possible SEC East addition, football wouldn't be as challenging as many might initially think. Only drawing two per year from the West in the imbalanced schedule. Some of those types of schedules wouldn't be as hard as some of the BXII round robin slates they've faced of late.

SEC hoops -- wouldn't be bad playing home and homes annually with Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee. By and large, it'd be a 3-team league race between UK, FL & WV. Fans would relish hosting UK & Calipari.

I agree with the Majority of your post. The ACC snub was much discussed on this board. So I remember the arrogance that a few of the ACC institutions showed when FSU and a couple others supported WVU joining.

As for the SEC we have a big WVU advocate in Nick Saban and Alabama. The BIG 10 I suggested just for the helluva it lol

That didn't do much for us this last go-around.

Mizzu being in the SEC East does not make a lick of sense. If anything, I expect two eastern teams are asked to join the SEC...us and Florida State.

Then again, the blue bloods on Tobacco Road could finally get enough of Notre Dame's BS and tell them to sh1t or get off the pot concerning football. They could also tell BC to take a hike as they bring zilch to the Conference. If one or the other happens, us and/or Yukon could get the golden ticket. I would rather go to the ACC as old rivals sPitt, Suckacuse, Loserville, Cryami, and VPLies are already there.

Love the Big 12 but not for us. Give me the ACC where we could dominate those overrated football schools.

Yeah..the Mountaineers are poised to dominate Clemson, Florida State, Miami and the like. I do think WV could dominate the old Southern conference if it was put back together.

Love the Big 12 but not for us. Give me the ACC where we could dominate those overrated football schools.

You're first sentence is correct. You're second sentence makes you look like the homer tool that you obviously are. Did you miss this year's Bowl game? A middle of the pack ACC team humiliated WVU. Some of you homers are clueless.

Never ever Big Ten in a million years. SEC I could see that as a possibility.

Hey ding-a-ling the article linked by OP clearly pointed out the possibility if the the ACC added ND as a full member. The flaw with the article is just it did not include Texas as a Big12 possibility.

Really good post!

Greg.... ...you don't even realize that you embarrass yourself (or should at least feel that way) each time you click, 'Post Reply'.

Your attempts at insults are both juvenile and pathetic...and when you may have a valid opinion you ruin it by the manner you express yourself.

Review your posts... ...and tell me if you think they're clever, insightful, or even entertaining. If you think they are...you're understandably funny....just not in the manner that you were hoping.

...by the way... ..why are you so much of a coward that you don't use the alias here that you post on your 'main board' with...?

Greg.... ...you don't even realize that you embarrass yourself (or should at least feel that way) each time you click, 'Post Reply'.

Your attempts at insults are both juvenile and pathetic...and when you may have a valid opinion you ruin it by the manner you express yourself.

Review your posts... ...and tell me if you think they're clever, insightful, or even entertaining. If you think they are...you're understandably funny....just not in the manner that you were hoping.

You still obsessing over me sweetheart? Sure seems that way honey! You got me all wrong. I support WVU more than all of you. You play way to much honey.

I heard he needed a towel to wipe himself down after he heard the news. He hasn't been seen since noon on Friday. Godspeed Buckhead! Good luck!
I think he is still in Hiding. He did way to much smack talking during the 1st weekend of the tourney. When things went south in the sweet 16 he went into hiding. He's afraid to take his medicine.

...by the way... ..why are you so much of a coward that you don't use the alias here that you post on your 'main board' with...?

Honey you're barking up the wrong tree. Truly you are. I don't hide behind an alias. And I don't ignore other members. If it makes you feel better to be the site mother hen then continue.

I think he is still in Hiding. He did way to much smack talking during the 1st weekend of the tourney. When things went south in the sweet 16 he went into hiding. He's afraid to take his medicine.

No doubt! A few of these guys can dish it out but man do they crumble when the Big12 lays egg after egg after egg. I think most of these guys went down the tubes when their pride and joy, Oliver Luck, dumped WVU for a mediocre admin job. It's been little man disease ever since.

Greg.. ...read your last few posts again.

Do you really think they're funny or insulting?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT