ADVERTISEMENT

D'antoni named Best Coach in Mountain State

You have to let the little guy win something after being embarrassed on national TV by WVU. It probably made him feel better after dropping the soap in the NCAA round of 32.

per Herald Dispatch this a.m.

Hmmmmm Let me think on this one a minute.
Is there meaning and importance to such a proclamation by the home town paper? That's what I thought.
Move on--nothing to see here.

To be fair, he has recruited well for his level and his team played well for his level and I expect them to be even better next season at his level. Those are the key words: at his level. I'm sure no one in the state who voted for him thinks he is a better coach than Huggins.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
To be fair, he has recruited well for his level and his team played well for his level and I expect them to be even better next season at his level. Those are the key words: at his level. I'm sure no one in the state who voted for him thinks he is a better coach than Huggins.
Ok that’s his 15 minutes of fame. Back to the real world now.

Uggghh ok

And we all know how important the thoughts of newspapers are, which is why nobody reads them anymore. Well nobody other than those getting the Sr Discount.

It's a sportswriter's award, statewide, for a coach who had an exceptional year considering their program's position in the world of sports. High school coaches, WVIAC coaches, D2/3 coaches have won it before. It doesn't mean they are better than all other coaches in the state, it just means they took their program to a new level. By that definition, D'antonio did just that. Huggs has done such a great job that going to the sweet 16 is almost old hat for us. The award isn't a hack on Huggs. He the best coach in the state, period. Everyone knows that. But they can't give it to him every year for perpetuity.

Obvious choice in my opinion. This wasn't an HD choice; rather, a choice by a small group of statewide sports writing nerds.

You have to let the little guy win something after being embarrassed on national TV by WVU. It probably made him feel better after dropping the soap in the NCAA round of 32.
That quote is from Winston Churchill about "Lady, if I were husband, I would drink it."

It's a sportswriter's award, statewide, for a coach who had an exceptional year considering their program's position in the world of sports. High school coaches, WVIAC coaches, D2/3 coaches have won it before. It doesn't mean they are better than all other coaches in the state, it just means they took their program to a new level. By that definition, D'antonio did just that. Huggs has done such a great job that going to the sweet 16 is almost old hat for us. The award isn't a hack on Huggs. He the best coach in the state, period. Everyone knows that. But they can't give it to him every year for perpetuity.

So it's not really for the coach of the year? Just to make Marshall feel good about getting stomped by WVU and Huggins? Next time you know Herd fans will be claiming Marshall is 12-0 in football against WVU. Sure takes some of the lustre off the award if you just rotate it because Huggins made the Sweet Sixteen 3 times in 4 years. Guess the mad scientist on the stool will have to make the Final Four to get it again. Hell, they might as well add Huggins' name to Mickey's on the trophy. By the way, contrary to a previous post, Huggins and Mickey had great admiration for each other. Both of them told me that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT