ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Closed Poorly in Recruiting

Jan 14, 2007
A few weeks ago, posters on this Board were bragging about Dana's recruiting class, which was ranked #14 at that time.

Dana's class finished #32 in Rivals and #34 and #35 in two other national rating services. The class was #5 or #6 in the B12.

Mediocre as always for Dana.

Unfortunately it's mediocre as always for WVU. Until WVU is willing to dip into their purses for recruits, they can forget about getting blue chip players to sign in any sport.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Unfortunately it's mediocre as always for WVU. Until WVU is willing to dip into their purses for recruits, they can forget about getting blue chip players to sign in any sport.
If you are suggesting with the statement "...dip into their purses..." that they stoop to join so many that reside in the gutter by paying for recruits I have to conclude that you are a very wrped individual with far less moral standing than I generally associate with WV folks. If this IS your attitude then why not crawl back into your comfortable residence in the sewer and continue to breath the swamp gas?

Have to admit I am also a little disappointed with the class ranking. There is definitely some talented players, but we should be recruiting way better than 32nd. Until we can consistently get top 20 class results will stay the same.

This was one of the better classes ever put together, but wouldn't expect any of the smart fans to see that. And if you're offended by this, well.....

WVU has put out some top 20 teams without top 20 recruiting classes before. However, those teams had coaching that could get the most out of a players talent. I don't see Dana or this staff taking a raw, unskilled meager talent and turning it into Grant Wiley, Dan Moses, Quincy Wilson, etc...

WVU has put out some top 20 teams without top 20 recruiting classes before. However, those teams had coaching that could get the most out of a players talent. I don't see Dana or this staff taking a raw, unskilled meager talent and turning it into Grant Wiley, Dan Moses, Quincy Wilson, etc...

Understood, but on the flip side of the coin, he's putting out NFL players.

Those also played in the Big East.

Very easy to win ten games when you play Rutgers, UCONN, South Florida and Pitt every year.

I agree it is one of the better classes, but still should do better for our history and being in the Big12. Got to be better or results on the field won't change.

West Virginia has to take baby steps.
Next year they need to say they want a Top 25 class.

They need to beat Tennessee and NC State.
Easier said than done.
Forward momentum. They cannot jump to a top class from where they are but they can slowly move up to having a Top 15 class if DH wins 9 games a year.

If you are suggesting with the statement "...dip into their purses..." that they stoop to join so many that reside in the gutter by paying for recruits I have to conclude that you are a very wrped individual with far less moral standing than I generally associate with WV folks. If this IS your attitude then why not crawl back into your comfortable residence in the sewer and continue to breath the swamp gas?

You have some SERIOUS issues to blast someone's moral standing and call someone a warped individual on a message board pointing out the painfully obvious in college sports. Some counseling might do you a world of good.

A few weeks ago, posters on this Board were bragging about Dana's recruiting class, which was ranked #14 at that time.

Dana's class finished #32 in Rivals and #34 and #35 in two other national rating services. The class was #5 or #6 in the B12.

When you have the ability to close a recruit and coach, then sign up for opening spots on the staff. Until then continue pretending you know what is happening.

Last edited:

LMAO! and who ranks these classes? For the most part some geeks that have no clue. You people get too tied up in stars. There is no way of knowing what we have until they get on the field. Pat White was a 2 star recruit. Owen Schmidt was a walk on from some division 3 program in Wisconsin. Rich Braham was a walk on, probably a 1 star if that. I could go on and on, but one thing for sure I know is that our best players have been 3 stars or less. We are who we are, a state with very little division I talent, but somehow we are able to compete with schools and states much larger.

True ... which is even more damning to the coaching staff that more NFL talent has not equated to better teams. The HC is responsible for the overall team and a bunch of talent that lacks good direction, game planning, adjustments, and learning how to function as part of the whole will rarely be better than a team with average talent, but exceptionally good at those non talent factors I mentioned.

And what effect has this had on where the team finishes each year...not much. And what good has that done recruiting too? Again, not much. Who gives a da// if someone goes to the NFL? Just give me a winner instead of a middle of the pack team year after year.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

And please look into the mirror and praise yourself and your close friends who mimic your pathetic attacks on this staff and Dana in particular. Do you and they not realize that your incessant attacks does massive harm to the program and recruiting in particular. Recruits and their family and friends read your vile attacks and have to wonder what they would be getting into were they to try WVU as a destination. You want to criticize the staff and yet fail to realize that YOU are at least as big a contributor to the type classes that are attracted than those actually interfacing with the kids.Why not just shut up the negative rhetoric? You claim, I suppose, to be WVU fans. That is a very unfunny joke. Look into the mirror and see if you are able to lie to yourself after considering the approach you insist on regarding Dana and this staff/team.

what's new?
his recruiting can only be directly related to assistant coach retention. ...

substituting Georgia for South Florida seems to be a major error as Seider and Gallaway depart

And please look into the mirror and praise yourself and your close friends who mimic your pathetic attacks on this staff and Dana in particular. Do you and they not realize that your incessant attacks does massive harm to the program and recruiting in particular. Recruits and their family and friends read your vile attacks and have to wonder what they would be getting into were they to try WVU as a destination. You want to criticize the staff and yet fail to realize that YOU are at least as big a contributor to the type classes that are attracted than those actually interfacing with the kids.Why not just shut up the negative rhetoric? You claim, I suppose, to be WVU fans. That is a very unfunny joke. Look into the mirror and see if you are able to lie to yourself after considering the approach you insist on regarding Dana and this staff/team.

"Pathetic" and "vile" attacks? Please.

The recruiting rankings speak for themselves. Mediocre. Average. Middle of the pack. Uninspiring.

I think coaches know more about recruiting than fans.. Strongly believe this.

WVU does not have the ability to recruit nationally like the elite do.. So they recruit to need.

I think Dana did as well as any WVU coach in the past when it comes to this.. and after all you never know how good this class is, until they get there, perform and graduate. Then we'll know....

Except for a couple of RB's we needed I think Dana and crew did a good job this year.

The opinions expressed on this board are no different than any other college or pro organization stop being naive.

Didn't get smoked in bowl games by slightly above average teams at best on the regular either.

Rod Years...
Continental Tire Bowl WVU 22 UVA 48 (slightly above average)

Stewart
Gator Bowl WVU 18 FSU 30 (FSU 7-6)
Champs Sports Bowl WVU 7 NC State 23 (slightly above average)

When a coach is evaluated it is Based on W/L not how many nfl players he produces.

Won Loss record, really.

What did recruits evaluate on this?
Florida Higher Dan Mullen 69-46 overall 33-39 in SEC.
FSU Higher Willie Taggart 47-50 with 3 different conf. 39-35

I can find many more but you can google for yourself.

Seems as though you guys always have good to above average teams most years. Huggins has been successful and is able to compete at a high level in hoops year in year out.

Won Loss record, really.

What did recruits evaluate on this?
Florida Higher Dan Mullen 69-46 overall 33-39 in SEC.
FSU Higher Willie Taggart 47-50 with 3 different conf. 39-35

I can find many more but you can google for yourself.
Coachs are hired to win games. FSU hired taggert based on his recruiting ability. USF has won 10 games the past 2 seasons. Once with Taggart on the sideline and this year with Strong. Both those teams were his recruits. When he is evaluated in a couple of years it will be on W/L not on how many players he puts in the the NFL.

Rod Years...
Continental Tire Bowl WVU 22 UVA 48 (slightly above average)

Stewart
Gator Bowl WVU 18 FSU 30 (FSU 7-6)
Champs Sports Bowl WVU 7 NC State 23 (slightly above average)
What about the Sugar Bowl? That UVA team was better than that 6-6 Utah team from a conference that went 1-8 in bowl games. The only bowl game the current coach has won with a team he recruited was a one point win against a 6-6 pac 12 team.

Last edited:
Coachs are hired to win games. FSU hired taggert based on his recruiting ability. USF has won 10 games the past 2 seasons. Once with Taggart on the sideline and this year with Strong. Both those teams were his recruits. When he is evaluated in a couple of years it will be on W/L not on how many players he puts in the the NFL.

You just contradicted yourself

How do you figure that Pitt Troll posing as a Phony Texas Fan. I will be waiting for you and your 50 screen names to respond.

Pitt boy.......
How about the big Pitt class?
Like the player they got out of DC.
WVU should have taken him from Pitt.
Think he has a lot of potential.

You said coaches are hired to win games and then said FSU hired Taggart cause he can recruit.

Pitt boy.......
How about the big Pitt class?
Like the player they got out of DC.
WVU should have taken him from Pitt.
Think he has a lot of potential.

You said coaches are hired to win games and then said FSU hired Taggart cause he can recruit.
I said when a coach's job is evaluated it is based on W/L. Taggart was hired because he is well known in the state of Florida as a great recruiter. The majority of USF roster that has won 10 games the past two season's are taggarts recruits. FSU is hoping he does the same. Maybe you should spend more time with reading comprehension instead of figuring out what screen name your next post is going to be under. I don't know anything about pitts class I can't name one recruit but you seem to know something Phony Texas fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT