ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Culver reinstated

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (December 18, 2018) – West Virginia University men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins has announced that freshman forward Derek Culver has been reinstated to the Mountaineer basketball team.

Culver, a native of Youngstown, Ohio, has not played in any regular season games this season.

The good in this? If Culver is as advertised, that makes us less leveraged by Sags and his brother.

I’m having a hard time ignoring the timing of all this.

Yes...I’m sure the timing with his finals are very relevant as well.

Hello here we come? We just added a player that makes us better. If Sags plays every game out rest of year and does what he should do and Culver gets fined tuned over next couple weeks this team will get hot. The other thing is start Knapper. Bring Harler, Beetle off bench. These things listed will result in many wins.

The good in this? If Culver is as advertised, that makes us less leveraged by Sags and his brother.

I’m having a hard time ignoring the timing of all this.

Yes...I’m sure the timing with his finals are very relevant as well.
About a week after Culver was suspended reports were saying he could be reinstated before Christmas. The timing is this: he was suspended for not attending study hall and not being on time for practice. Huggins suspended him so he would get on track for the semester. The semester is over. Culver's habits improved. He was reinstated. If he had not improved he probably would have been kicked off the team. The timing had nothing to do with Sags and everything to do with what's best for Culver.

About a week after Culver was suspended reports were saying he could be reinstated before Christmas. The timing is this: he was suspended for not attending study hall and not being on time for practice. Huggins suspended him so he would get on track for the semester. The semester is over. Culver's habits improved. He was reinstated. If he had not improved he probably would have been kicked off the team. The timing had nothing to do with Sags and everything to do with what's best for Culver.

Although I share your same sentiments about the situation and believe it to be true, we still cannot with 100% certainty say that this was how it went down. Sometimes timing is strictly coincidence. Sometimes it's not.

Although I share your same sentiments about the situation and believe it to be true, we still cannot with 100% certainty say that this was how it went down. Sometimes timing is strictly coincidence. Sometimes it's not.
I think we can be certain. About the absolute longest you would suspend a kid for being late and skipping study hall is a semester. If Huggins was worried about Sags he could have reinstated Culver at Thanksgiving or just after mid-terms. That Culver was suspended for the entire semester tells us two things: 1) he's on his last leg; 2) Huggins is more concerned with the student than with winning.

I think we can be certain. About the absolute longest you would suspend a kid for being late and skipping study hall is a semester. If Huggins was worried about Sags he could have reinstated Culver at Thanksgiving or just after mid-terms. That Culver was suspended for the entire semester tells us two things: 1) he's on his last leg; 2) Huggins is more concerned with the student than with winning.

Culver wasn't suspended but 1 week BEFORE Thanksgiving. So I don't see your scenario being practical.

There might not be a more comfortable coach in America than Huggins. Coaches who know that they're not guaranteed a lifetime contract usually won't have such pathetic dips in talent every four years. It reeks of a mentality of, "whatever, they're never getting rid of me."

Huggins might be peeved about losing, but he's definitely not concerned about his job security.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Culver wasn't suspended but 1 week BEFORE Thanksgiving. So I don't see your scenario being practical.
You're right about the suspension date. I was thinking his suspension was announced before the start of the season. Since he didn't play in any game he was probably in Huggins' doghouse before the first game.

You're right about the suspension date. I was thinking his suspension was announced before the start of the season. Since he didn't play in any game he was probably in Huggins' doghouse before the first game.

Thus is why some feel that this announcement was a more about "timing" than anything else. Sags drama = Culver reinstated. I'm not saying I agree with this theory, but I can see their point of view.

Reactions: CAJUNEER
Thus is why some feel that this announcement was a more about "timing" than anything else. Sags drama = Culver reinstated. I'm not saying I agree with this theory, but I can see their point of view.

This was an absolute PR move...and a good well timed one at as well. That it was done as an official release tells all you need to know....something like this would typically just be announced in an interview with the coach or on a call.

This was an absolute PR move...and a good well timed one at as well. That it was done as an official release tells all you need to know....something like this would typically just be announced in an interview with the coach or on a call.

For Culver's sake, hope he's worth it (on the court).

Reactions: Rootmaster
WVU 's problem is mainly poor guard play and lack of experience. Culver will certainly help with Sags inconsistency it will do nothing to help the guard problem. Some leadership is also needed

Reactions: CAJUNEER
Huggs got couple of questions from Tony C about the game Saturday:

1. Is Culver going to play? Huggs response (summarizing) "Don't know"

2. What is the update on Sags? Huggs response (summarizing) "Sags has to practice before we can play him, and he's not"

Good times!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT