ADVERTISEMENT

Coming in for a game

Spence410

Redshirting
Nov 24, 2013
Myself and a group of friends visit a new college town for a game every year. This year we will be taking an RV to the TCU @ WVU game.

Couple of questions for those in the know.

When should we expect a game time announcement?

Is there any experience or traditions we should not miss!?

Thanks!

Game time announcements probably won't be until after Texas Game.

What are the ages of this group? That would factor in whether and which traditions I would advise you to see.

If you're young or old but still spry and wild, I'd go see the "Pit" if it still exists in the form I remember from my game day times. It was in the lower parking between the Stadium, hospital, and Ronald McDonald house back in my day. I'd also check out the nightlife on High Street the night before. If you can make it to the game after that stuff, just take in the atmosphere and enjoy.

If you guys are a bunch of older farts, I'd maybe drive around and look at the fall foliage from up Coopers Rock (take I-68 up at top of hill & take a R). It's running unseasonably late this year.

I'd also enjoy pepperoni rolls and if you don't have those where you're from, definitely buy a lot of them & enjoy. Some states have laws stating no meats can be put in bread and sold.

What are the ages of this group? That would factor in whether and which traditions I would advise you to see.

If you're young or old but still spry and wild, I'd go see the "Pit" if it still exists in the form I remember from my game day times. It was in the lower parking between the Stadium, hospital, and Ronald McDonald house back in my day. I'd also check out the nightlife on High Street the night before. If you can make it to the game after that stuff, just take in the atmosphere and enjoy.

If you guys are a bunch of older farts, I'd maybe drive around and look at the fall foliage from up Coopers Rock (take I-68 up at top of hill & take a R). It's running unseasonably late this year.

I'd also enjoy pepperoni rolls and if you don't have those where you're from, definitely buy a lot of them & enjoy. Some states have laws stating no meats can be put in bread and sold.

The pit is no longer there. They paved the area and it is used for press/media parking.

Make a visit to Mario’s Fishbowl on Richwood Avenue. They serve beer in “fishbowl” glasses.

Take a drive around the area and head out to Cooper’s Rock, like 3x said, and view the foliage. Normal peak in foliage would be around the 25th of October but warmer temperatures have it behind schedule.

View the foliage before going to Mario’s.

Tailgate in the Blue Lot before the game and stick around right after the game for the singing of Country Roads.

I always really like the band's pregame show. The forming of circles and the state was special to me. Also hope we get the W and cue up Country Roads.

Great drummers, trumpets! Great sound.!!

Last edited:
Reactions: locustwv
I always really like the band's pregame show. The forming of circles and the state was special to me. Also hope we get the W and cue up Country Roads.
When I was little the band was the only reason my grandmother went. Man she loved the pride of West Virginia!!

Reactions: JWG66

Appreciate it. We are all late 20s early 30s so we like to think we can still keep up. We just regret it more in the mornings.

Appreciate it. We are all late 20s early 30s so we like to think we can still keep up. We just regret it more in the mornings.
Pack an extra liver. Rock stars come to Morgantown to party and leave under the table. This is not just some college drinking town. This is the big league. Singular.

Pack an extra liver. Rock stars come to Morgantown to party and leave under the table. This is not just some college drinking town. This is the big league. Singular.

That’s what Athens and UGA said last year.

Myself and a group of friends visit a new college town for a game every year. This year we will be taking an RV to the TCU @ WVU game.

Couple of questions for those in the know.

When should we expect a game time announcement?

Is there any experience or traditions we should not miss!?

Thanks!
Pre-game, go to Kegler's Sports Bar and mingle with the crowd a couple of hours before the game then walk to the stadium. On your walk, mingle with the tailgaters in the Blue Lot especially. You'll get offered drinks, I'm sure and you can chat up some of the lovelys. Get in your seats early for the pre-game from the Pride of WV, The Mountaineer Marching Band. It really is a great pre-game show and one of the traditions inside the stadium you should not miss.

In the Morgantown area, day before the game if you're in you should make your way to Cooper's Rocks State Park. The view from the overlook is spectacular any time of the year but especially in the fall. Mario's Fishbowl is a must do stop as is the brew-pubs in town. Mountain State Brewing, Morgantown Brewing and Chestnut Brew Works if you'd like to try some great local beers.

I like the food at Tin 202 downtown for a nice meal, or grab a slice at Pizza Al's if you what something quick and tasty. Oliverio's for good Italian, Bourbon Prime or Bartini for steaks. Los Mariachis best Mexican.

Hope that helps, welcome to Morgantown!

They serve beer in “fishbowl” glasses.
I quit drinking from fishbowls back in 1988. I used to go to a place in Alexandria, Virginia called the Fish Market, which is a really cool place to be on a weekend night. Anyways, they were famous for their fishbowl of beer, and always served it up with the nastiest beer in America. Can't recall the brand anymore, but it was on the level of a milwaukee's best, but worse. I actually upchucked into my fishbowl the last time I was there. Ron's room, upstairs. The Piano Bar would be wild.

Reactions: countryroads89
I quit drinking from fishbowls back in 1988. I used to go to a place in Alexandria, Virginia called the Fish Market, which is a really cool place to be on a weekend night. Anyways, they were famous for their fishbowl of beer, and always served it up with the nastiest beer in America. Can't recall the brand anymore, but it was on the level of a milwaukee's best, but worse. I actually upchucked into my fishbowl the last time I was there. Ron's room, upstairs. The Piano Bar would be wild.

National Bohemian, better known as Nasty Boh. You have to be talking about late 80s or early 90s.

Pre-game, go to Kegler's Sports Bar and mingle with the crowd a couple of hours before the game then walk to the stadium. On your walk, mingle with the tailgaters in the Blue Lot especially. You'll get offered drinks, I'm sure and you can chat up some of the lovelys. Get in your seats early for the pre-game from the Pride of WV, The Mountaineer Marching Band. It really is a great pre-game show and one of the traditions inside the stadium you should not miss.

In the Morgantown area, day before the game if you're in you should make your way to Cooper's Rocks State Park. The view from the overlook is spectacular any time of the year but especially in the fall. Mario's Fishbowl is a must do stop as is the brew-pubs in town. Mountain State Brewing, Morgantown Brewing and Chestnut Brew Works if you'd like to try some great local beers.

I like the food at Tin 202 downtown for a nice meal, or grab a slice at Pizza Al's if you what something quick and tasty. Oliverio's for good Italian, Bourbon Prime or Bartini for steaks. Los Mariachis best Mexican.

Hope that helps, welcome to Morgantown!

This is great stuff thank you!

And I would like to point out that the team we visit has been in the CFB Playoff that year 100% of the time.

If you like history visit Gene's Beer Garden in South Park (Morgantown). Oldest bar in town. Jerry West used to frequent. Famous for hotdogs and beer!

Is the Blue Lot worth sticking around in after a noon game or should we plan to head downtown?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT