ADVERTISEMENT

Coach mediocre is now...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
30-28 in the Big 12-2=10. (24-27 against anyone not Kansas University lol.) Wow, what outstanding progress. Now if he gets eight more seasons to get his system into place who knows...might move to three or even four wins over .500!

Reactions: Spookycat2002
Right now, I could go either way.

If we go with a defensive guy I'm all in. Otherwise, just keep what we've got.

30-28 in the Big 12-2=10. (24-27 against anyone not Kansas University lol.) Wow, what outstanding progress. Now if he gets eight more seasons to get his system into place who knows...might move to three or even four wins over .500!
We're a state of 1.8 million with no major cities. Never going to happen here. Never!

What record should they have?

Better than that ALLEN. I’ve supported the coach but I’m about ready to turn the page as well. 2 games over .500 in this league is a joke. Looks like the best team in Big12 got handled by God awful Maryland. This may be yet another year of no playoffs. WVU should be better in this league. Only a homer would argue differently. My main concern is what kind of coach would come to Morgantown. It’s not a top 30 job so WVU could do worse than current coach.

Better than that ALLEN. I’ve supported the coach but I’m about ready to turn the page as well. 2 games over .500 in this league is a joke. Looks like the best team in Big12 got handled by God awful Maryland. This may be yet another year of no playoffs. WVU should be better in this league. Only a homer would argue differently. My main concern is what kind of coach would come to Morgantown. It’s not a top 30 job so WVU could do worse than current coach.

I've supported Holgorsen since he came to WVU. However, with the signs of another mid-season collapse on the horizon it may be time to hit the reset button. Dana has the team now that he has wanted to make a run at the conference championship and if he can't do it now, then there is no point in continuing down that same path with Dana as the head coach.

So who would you get? Like you have indicated, Morgantown is not a destination. It's a stepping stone. You would have to go after a head coach that has already proven himself at a lower level or get an up and coming coordinator. Yes it's back to square one but it's either that or continue down the same path we are on. That will be a decision that Lyons will have to make in the coming weeks.

My main concern is what kind of coach would come to Morgantown. It’s not a top 30 job so WVU could do worse than current coach.

We rolled the dice and failed. Time to switch to black jack and attempt to read the cards.

Need to look for a coach that has head coaching experience already. Somebody between 35-45. He is possibly looking to climb the ladder of college football. Look at ISU and who they got. Of course they might think he is locked down good but their is always somebody looking for the it factor. Of course we could not get him and afford a higher salary and buyout. Need someone similar that can build those 3 stars into 5 stars. Don Nehlen was best at doing this. Also get a new strength coach to put some fight back in the recruits.

Then we might try to keep him around for 20 years or more. Probably wouldn't happen but nice to find out. WVU should always be top 4 should be the lowest WVU would ever finish. Should also be a contender 80% of the team.

WVU should be better than...

KSU
ISU
OSU
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Kansas

What improvement should we see? lol

You want better than .500, you need coaching experience off the get go. True you might not keep them forever but this is the danger of the beast. I'm tired of being set up for a great season then you get dump on when you go get drinks at the bar while she sneaks away.

Reactions: Rootmaster
LOL. What does the size of WV's population have to do with the effectiveness of the football team...which is recruited from everywhere? Good grief...the length some will go to do defend the undefendable. Might as well say, we can't do any better because Morgantown isn't a big enough town...let alone city.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
You want better than .500, you need coaching experience off the get go. True you might not keep them forever but this is the danger of the beast. I'm tired of being set up for a great season then you get dump on when you go get drinks at the bar while she sneaks away.
The sad thing is we could have gotten the Iowa State coach he was right in our back yard. urban meyer wanted to hire him to run his offense. He was 32 at the time he took the Toledo job instead.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
LOL. What does the size of WV's population have to do with the effectiveness of the football team...which is recruited from everywhere? Good grief...the length some will go to do defend the undefendable. Might as well say, we can't do any better because Morgantown isn't a big enough town...let alone city.
There must have been lots of sunshine in Lincoln Nebraska when Osboure was there.

How good is Rhode island, Maine, Massachusetts, Wyoming? Name any state our size that's as good or better than us? Go ahead.

Also Texas has enough recruits in it's own state to field a team. West Virginia is lucky to have 3!

How good is Rhode island, Maine, Massachusetts, Wyoming? Name any state our size that's as good or better than us? Go ahead.

Look I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You can't be dumb enough to equate state population with football success. Really. About as intelligent as the argument saying that if DH were paid more then he would produce more wins on the field.

Reactions: Spookycat2002
Look I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You can't be dumb enough to equate state population with football success. Really. About as intelligent as the argument saying that if DH were paid more then he would produce more wins on the field.
You cant be that stupid that you think it doesn't! Do you think it's easier to get a kid that grew up in your state and rooted for you their whole life or try to convince a kid that grew up in Florida to come to a school where the temperature gets to -15. It's not rocket science there Jimmy!

Reactions: jtturner09
Oh and great job avoiding naming a school the population of West Virginia that's done as well as us.

West Virginia = 1.8 million
Nebraska = 1.9 million

They have 5 NCs.
And don't get me wrong, I like Dana personally but I've questioned a lot of things he's done. I'm not sure or even close to thinking he's the answer but don't get it twisted and think it's easy to win here. We've never been great. Never.

Might as well scrap the program then. If we can't even do better than average in one of the weakest power 5 conferences. Having a losing record to anyone besides OU and Texas in this conference is ridiculous.

Hardly. 1. SEC. 2. Big 12 or Big 10, depending on the year. 3. ACC. 4. Pac-12.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible, indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Again Lincoln Nebraska 280,000
Morgantown WV 30,000

Your statement had nothing to do with the size of towns.

Name any state our size that's as good or better than us? Go ahead.

But, if you want to use that argument, I’ll go there. Auburn, Alabama has a population of 63,000. It is in the middle of nowhere.

We have played for two NCs and we have had strings in the top 25 rankings. We are 14th in most program wins. The size of the state shouldn’t hold us back as it has not held Nebraska back. Can we be an Alabama? Certainly not. But we can and should be a consistent top 15 program in the country. We have utilized the revenue from joining the Big XII to make significant improvements in our facilities. We can afford to pay a coaching staff in the top 15 salary range.

I’m not on the fire Dana bandwagon just yet. He does need to get rid of Spavital. He is a problem. He’s never been successful.

But, if you want to use that argument, I’ll go there. Auburn, Alabama has a population of 63,000. It is in the middle of nowhere.

We have played for two NCs and we have had strings in the top 25 rankings. We are 14th in most program wins. The size of the state shouldn’t hold us back as it has not held Nebraska back. Can we be an Alabama? Certainly not. But we can and should be a consistent top 15 program in the country. We have utilized the revenue from joining the Big XII to make significant improvements in our facilities. We can afford to pay a coaching staff in the top 15 salary range.

I’m not on the fire Dana bandwagon just yet. He does need to get rid of Spavital. He is a problem. He’s never been successful.
That was my WHOLE POINT AND ORIGINAL ARGUMENT! Size of state and small town. You think you're going to get some inner city kid to come to Morgantown on a regular? Why do you think Huggins doesn't get the same recruits he had at Cincinnati?

Ok if you want to use your argument we should be just as good as Alabama. What it holding us back?

Lincoln Nebraska is 9x the size of Morgantown! 280,000 people. And if you people don't think kids want to go to big cities instead of small boring ones, you're nuts.
Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens, Clemson, Norman, Blacksburg, South Bend, Eugene, Gainesville, Columbia, State College, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Chapel Hill, Knoxville, etc. These nuts seem to be doing ok.

You cant be that stupid that you think it doesn't! Do you think it's easier to get a kid that grew up in your state and rooted for you their whole life or try to convince a kid that grew up in Florida to come to a school where the temperature gets to -15. It's not rocket science there Jimmy!

I'm guessing that from the uninformed, juvenile, argument you are spewing that there are a few things at work for you: 1. Never played a sport beyond last year's t-ball team; 2. don't understand recruiting; 3. never went to a college or university anywhere, let alone WVU; 4. equate your understanding of college football to what you have seen at a high school junior varsity game; 5. have never been outside the town limits of whatever population 500 town you come from; 6. and spend a lot of time on Google trying to "edumacate youseself.". Isn't that about right? lol

Reactions: eerdoc
Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens, Clemson, Norman, Blacksburg, South Bend, Eugene, Gainesville, Columbia, State College, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Chapel Hill, Knoxville, etc. These nuts seem to be doing ok.
Sure do considering they are 20 times bigger than our state

Ok if you want to use your argument we should be just as good as Alabama. What it holding us back?

I'll jump in here. For my argument, I'll just use the B12.

In reality, we should, on average, probably be finishing around 4th in the conference most years. Texas beats us on money, Oklahoma on tradition, and Okie State in facilities.
Facilities can be overcome; money and tradition not so much.

So, once every 10 years or so, the stars align for you. For instance, this year we were the only team to return a starting QB in the conference - everyone else was either breaking in someone brand new or replacing one with a QB with minimal experience. On top of that, ours even had preseason hype for the Heisman.

Yet, we still had flaws - namely defensively - replacing a lot of starters from a year ago from a defense that wasnt worth a crap to start with. Up to last Saturday, the defense looked up to the task but one has to wonder if it really is because the defense is that much better or because everyone else is replacing their QB.

The remainder of the season will tell the tale. Those new QB's are now veterans and seem to be getting better week to week while ours looks to be regressing. The defense has its toughest tests ahead of them.

So, was the ISU game just a blip or a harbinger of things to come? Guess we'll have the next month to find out.

Reactions: writeon and eerdoc
Sure do considering they are 20 times bigger than our state
I believe you were talking towns. However, to further accentuate my point, and your glaring ignorance, None of the states housing these college towns are 20 times larger than WV in population. Only FL is even close. Calm down dude. No need for hyperbole here.

Charlie Strong...Great recruiter, experience in the Big 12 now understanding better what it takes to win, and definitely has a point to prove in the Big 12 conference.

I'm guessing that from the uninformed, juvenile, argument you are spewing that there are a few things at work for you: 1. Never played a sport beyond last year's t-ball team; 2. don't understand recruiting; 3. never went to a college or university anywhere, let alone WVU; 4. equate your understanding of college football to what you have seen at a high school junior varsity game; 5. have never been outside the town limits of whatever population 500 town you come from; 6. and spend a lot of time on Google trying to "edumacate youseself.". Isn't that about right? lol
Lincoln Nebraska is in the middle of nowhere. How many D1 athletics does the state of Nebraska produce?
They produced 2 blue chippers from 2013-17 a period in which they sucked. West Virginia produced ZERO in that same period.

They produced 2 blue chippers from 2013-17 a period in which they sucked. West Virginia produced ZERO in that same period.
Why don't you take the time and look at the starting roster of Nebraska's national championship teams. The states of Florida and Texas had a big say in it.

Alabama produced 58 blue chips from 13-17
Oklahoma 20/Virginia 57/Oregon 10/Florida 227/South Carolina 28/Pennsylvania 44/ Michigan 35/North Carolina 51/Tennessee 44/West Virginia 0 zip zilch nadda nyet

Reactions: writeon
Look it's another leaping profile from our multiple talented troll. The ban hammer awaits

Alabama produced 58 blue chips from 13-17
Oklahoma 20/Virginia 57/Oregon 10/Florida 227/South Carolina 28/Pennsylvania 44/ Michigan 35/North Carolina 51/Tennessee 44/West Virginia 0 zip zilch nadda nyet
Once again you evade what you said. First it was towns,but that turned into states, which you turned into blue chips. If you had started with blue chips, that would have
illicited a different response. Can you say you were wrong with your first two totally clains? No where it those comments was any mention of the quality of available recruits. We know WV doesn’t produce a large number of recruits. But that doesn’t mean small college towns don’t get a bunch of them, and that those towns are in states that are 20 times the size of WV. You come across as a spoiled little mellenial brat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT