ADVERTISEMENT

Cancel All Bowls

actually that is an excellent suggestion! 16 team playoff starting mid december with rotating venues ending in a super bowl for colleges. let all not participating schools have limited practice during the same time frame. everyone wins.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
Players sit out every year now. The bowl games are worthless risk. Just increase playoffs and be done with bowls. One way to do it is teams start saying no because we don't want to risk injuries our future as a team depends on it.

I'm all for it. Have a system where the games actually mean something, and players won't be sitting. All of this discussion would be moot.

Reactions: Rootmaster
But it's the Champs Sports Bowl, it's a top 5 bowl . What eer fan doesn't want to go watch our #2 qb - without the starting LT - get absolutely boat raced by the orange? It's only a couple Grand for the trip

Allen what you are saying is going to happen, and it's a good thing cause there is no incentive for players to play in these waaaaaay too numerous bowl games (except espn and the host bowl city to make $$$$$). The players are not risking it and they shouldn't. These guys got winning lottery tickets in their pockets. All they got to do is wait for the office (NFL draft) to open to cash it.

If you had a winning ticket would you go to work, take a safari, put yourself in danger of losing the ticket or would you find out when the lotto office opens and go claim it as soon as you can? That's exactly what you'd do if you're financially wise.

Eventually, every bowl game that is not a playoff game will be the second string from both schools playing each other.

Count me in. Essentially the NCAA and the bowls have a party and the universities pay the tab.

Pay the players, written committal to play in all games once these crap bowls are eliminated. Everything gets better.

Count me in. Essentially the NCAA and the bowls have a party and the universities pay the tab.

Pay the players, written committal to play in all games once these crap bowls are eliminated. Everything gets better.

NCAA doesn't make one cent off foofball.

Only power football has is because conferences are a part of the NCAA as well as universities so football matters but at the end of the day they don't share anything with the NCAA.

Players sit out every year now. The bowl games are worthless risk. Just increase playoffs and be done with bowls. One way to do it is teams start saying no because we don't want to risk injuries our future as a team depends on it.

Right now the bowls are just a marketing expenditure on a balance sheet and give the athletes a fun experience at the end if the year.

Its why I dont really get worked up.

Right now the bowls are just a marketing expenditure on a balance sheet and give the athletes a fun experience at the end if the year.

Its why I dont really get worked up.

Bowls will never go anywhere.

If the playoffs expand the bowls will be included and then non playoff teams will play in the remaining bowls.

For some places it is all about tourism.
A way to bring outsiders in to spend money. Their place in CFB is well established and is not going anywhere.

If the playoffs expand the bowls will be included and then non playoff teams will play in the remaining bowls.

A way to bring outsiders in to spend money. Their place in CFB is well established and is not going anywhere.

Apparently you never go away either. For some places it's all about trolling. The trolling is established and is not going anywhere.

So teams, media, advertising will all enjoy losing money every year.

Like I said, it is a marketing expenditure. Camping World is that guy from the TV show.

Apparently you never go away either. For some places it's all about trolling. The trolling is established and is not going anywhere.

Are bowl games really losing propositions.

Liberty Bowl has a payout of 1.7 million per team.
You really think Oklahoma St is paying 1.7 million to play in that bowl game

Lol that first line made me laugh.

This is from last year

Bowl
Payout Game Time Location Tie in
Zaxby's Heart Of Dallas - $1,667,000 - 12/26/17 12:00am ESPN Dallas, TXBig 12 vs. CUSA
Cactus - $2,000,000 - 12/26/17 9:00pm ESPN - Phoenix, AZ - Big 12 vs. PAC-12
Texas - $6,100,000 - 12/27/17 9:00pm ESPN - Houston, TX- Big 12 vs. SEC 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8
Camping World - $5,600,000 - 12/28/17 5:30pm ESPN - Orlando, FL - ACC vs. Big 12
Alamo - $7,575,000 - 12/28/17 8:00pm ESPN - San Antonio, TX - Big 12 vs. PAC-12
Liberty - $4,550,000 - 12/30/17 2:30pm ABC - Memphis, TN - Big 12 vs. SEC 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 or Memphis

So between tv money, tickets and inside stadium sales sponsors generate that much cash? Or do they take a loss a bit?

All advertising in a way is a loss.

If the company who sponsors the bowl deems it a bad proposition they will op out

Bowls make money by selling naming rights and TV rights.
This money goes to schools.

Ticket sales and vendor sales are only a small piece of the pie even at the Rose Bowl.

Wow. It's hard to maintain respect for you when you are so flat out dumb. LEave the forum for a while and go out on a date with a cow....lots of them in that loser state of yours. Do you speak spanish?

Seems like what I am doing is working so I think I will stay here.

Yea...understand they have a good public assistance program in the Lone Star Beer State lol.

The state provides jobs to the uneducated poor all the way to people who are well off and educated.
Reason why the population has doubled in a 20 year span.

So does Cuba.

I ask you once again...

Should an individual be allowed to make their own choice just as long as their decision doesn't jeopardize anyone's self interest.

The individual can be just as horrible as the state when the individual attempts to limit someone's choices that do not harm anyone except the person making the choice.

The NCAA is leaving millions on the table by not expanding the playoffs.

The NCAA is leaving millions on the table by not expanding the playoffs.

In the early 1980's colleges sued the NCAA for their TV rights...
They won.

NCAA doesn't make anything from football.
The rest of the sports they do.

The power in football is with the conferences and certain teams.
No one is upset with the current system except the B1G.
Screw the B1G. They are whiney bitches.

All advertising in a way is a loss.

If the company who sponsors the bowl deems it a bad proposition they will op out

Bowls make money by selling naming rights and TV rights.
This money goes to schools.

Ticket sales and vendor sales are only a small piece of the pie even at the Rose Bowl.
Bottom line to kill a bowl game....don't support the sponsor -- in this case Camping World -- or don't watch the game, ie- ratings are down and the advertisers don't get their money's worth. Advertisers get a rebate for less than promised exposure and they don't come back next year and then ESPN cuts ties with the bowl. After that it's a death march if the organizers want to see if Raycom will pay.

Should an individual be allowed to make their own choice just as long as their decision doesn't jeopardize anyone's self interest.

you make my point yet again. the weenies and low life who bail on their teams hurt everyone on their teams. in addition...where is individual in team, stop googling answers and trying to look smart. it does just the opposite, lol

you make my point yet again. the weenies and low life who bail on their teams hurt everyone on their teams. in addition...where is individual in team, stop googling answers and trying to look smart. it does just the opposite, lol

College Football is a vehicle for one to better their life.

No one should be asked to sacrifice future gain for the team.

If someone wants to that is their choice. It is Will Grier's choice if he wants to play.

Like I have said there is a reward for WV.

A chance to see Allison in game action.
If Jack Allison cannot play WV can find a QB on the grad transfer market.

Don't have to wait until the spring game.
Even the spring game doesn't show if a good hit makes a QB scared in the pocket.

I remember being excited to see WVU play in the Peach Bowl. Shit. I'm getting old.

Its simple economics.

The more you have of something, the less its value.

There was a time when just making a bowl was something to value. Winning it even more.

Today, there are so many that they have lost their value to the average fan. Unless you are playing in a "major" bowl, it simply doesn't have the value it once did.

For instance, WVU could play 3 bottom ranked teams from the AAC, WAC, CUSA, etc. for the first 3 games. Win those and just 3 more out of the next 9 and you are guaranteed a bowl.

Where's the value in that? Yet, VT will pay 300K to Marshall to come lay down for them to keep a "streak" alive? To go play in some crappy bowl nobody is going to watch anyway? Teams do it all the time... and its meaningless.

Treat this game as a dress rehearsal for September 2019. Lets see who is going to step up or fall down the charts. A pre-spring game circa 2018 against someone other than yourself.

If you win - great. If not, who cares? Nobody other than the die-hards will remember by June anyway.

I agree the top 16 teams play and if you eliminate conference championships it only adds one week to the season. Only 8 teams will play one more game in a season.

That would ruin the regular season by putting 4 loss teams in.

We already have a playoff in CFB...
It is called the regular season.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
That would ruin the regular season by putting 4 loss teams in.

We already have a playoff in CFB...
It is called the regular season.

So if I understand you, there is no need for playoff games. Just crown a champion based on the regular season. This year it will be Alabama as number 1 .

So if I understand you, there is no need for playoff games. Just crown a champion based on the regular season. This year it will be Alabama as number 1 .

They did that for the first 100 years of CFB.
Then the bowl games became more than glorified exhibitions because people saw money.
For the last 50 years they have been waiting until after the bowl games.
But.....
You still draw tremendous ratings for regular season games.
If you increase the spots over 8 you water down the product and those games will not be able to draw an audience that random games in the regular season can when a top team is about to lose.

Conferences want that money....

If you expand and take out CCG...the people who will be losing the money are making that decision.

Only one who wants that are conferences being left out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT