ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Brown Hired as Strength Coach for Men’s Basketball

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Brown Hired as Strength Coach for Men’s Basketball

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (May 1, 2018) – Shaun Brown has been named the strength and conditioning coach for WVU men’s basketball and brings 30 years of experience o Mountaineer basketball.

Brown comes to West Virginia from Minnesota, where he served as the strength and conditioning coach for the Minnesota men’s basketball team for the past five years.

“We are extremely excited to add Shaun to our basketball staff,” coach Bob Huggins said. “When I called people who I trust in this profession, the first name they all mentioned was Shaun Brown. Shaun possesses all the qualities we look for in a strength coach.”

Prior to Minnesota, Brown spent three seasons overseeing the strength and conditioning program at USC from 2010-13 and three years at Virginia from 2006-09.

Brown worked eight years in the professional ranks, serving as the head strength coach for the NBA’s Toronto Raptors from 2003-06 and six seasons as head strength coach for the Boston Celtics from 1997-2003.

“Obviously, I’m excited about the opportunity to work with a future Hall of Famer in coach Bob Huggins and with West Virginia basketball,” Brown said. “West Virginia’s style of play, especially with Press Virginia, is how I got my start in this and it certainly fits my niche. Andy (Kettler) has established a heckuva culture here, and I anticipate this transition being as smooth as any place that I’ve been. I don’t have to reinvent the wheel because I know these guys are accustomed to working hard and putting in time. The facilities are certainly top-notch, and I’m looking forward to getting there and working with the team and the staff.”

Brown has worked with 21 players who were selected in the NBA Draft, including lottery picks Jamal Mashburn, Ron Mercer and Antoine Walker. He has worked with eight NBA All-Stars, including Kenny Anderson, Chris Bosh, Vince Carter, Jamaal Magloire, Paul Pierce, Jalen Rose, Mashburn and Walker. Brown has also mentored seven former assistant strength coaches who have worked at Power 5 schools or in the NBA.

From 1992-97, Brown was the head strength coach for the men’s basketball team at Kentucky. During his time with the Wildcats, Kentucky participated in three Final Fours and won the 1996 NCAA Championship.

Brown served as the head strength coach at Providence from 1989-92. Before that, he was an assistant strength coach at Rutgers.

Brown earned a bachelor’s degree from Canisius in 1987 and a master’s degree from Ohio State in 1988. He served as a graduate assistant strength coach at Ohio State and as a strength and conditioning coach at Dublin HS (Ohio) from 1988-89.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT