ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Perry Named Interim Women’s Basketball Coach

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Perry Named Interim Women’s Basketball Coach

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (March 17, 2022) –
West Virginia University Director of Athletics Shane Lyons has named Nitra Perry as interim head coach of the women’s basketball program while a national search is conducted to replace Mike Carey, who announced his retirement after 21 years of leading the Mountaineers.​

“I want to thank Nitra for stepping in to fill this important role, while we conduct a search for our new women’s basketball coach,” Lyons said. “Nitra has more than 20 years of playing and coaching experience, and I know she will provide the leadership we need in this transition period.”

Perry completed her second season with West Virginia women’s basketball in 2022 after prior coaching stops at Toledo, Memphis, Kennesaw State, Mississippi State and Georgia Tech. In the interim role, she will oversee the offseason development program, roster management and all aspects of the program until a new head coach is named.

The article explains why it is needed.

Is that a new thing that needs to be dealt with? It wasn't before Cary was hired that I recall. It wasn't between Holgorsen and Brown nor Nehlen and RR. I do not recall an interim between JB and Huggins. I'm just curious as why now we are seeing the interim concept for an offseason HC change. I am legitimately curious as to whether it is a new thing with the transfer portal era or if she has the job while a faux search is done to avoid the perception of another Stewart hire.

Is that a new thing that needs to be dealt with? It wasn't before Cary was hired that I recall. It wasn't between Holgorsen and Brown nor Nehlen and RR. I do not recall an interim between JB and Huggins. I'm just curious as why now we are seeing the interim concept for an offseason HC change. I am legitimately curious as to whether it is a new thing with the transfer portal era or if she has the job while a faux search is done to avoid the perception of another Stewart hire.
Do you think it might be letting a coach that might be well liked by the players to have contact with them and maybe keep them out of the portal until a HC is secured

Reactions: Rokitman
Do you think it might be letting a coach that might be well liked by the players to have contact with them and maybe keep them out of the portal until a HC is secured
Maybe. Like I said, I have a legitimate question as to whether this is a new tactic being employed because of the portal or if it is a signal to the interim coach to not make any plans as they are going to be the selected candidate no matter the search.

Sports is a year round thing. As soon as the season ends doesn’t stop the training and workouts. College basketball players don’t put away the ball and sit on their butt until late October.

Sports is a year round thing. As soon as the season ends doesn’t stop the training and workouts. College basketball players don’t put away the ball and sit on their butt until late October.

No one said it was. The question at hand is why is WVU doing this now? All of your points pre-existed this season by many years. So why is WVU doing something it, nor any other University that I can recall, done before? Again, all of your points are yearly routines which would make this practice something that should be routine instead of the novelty that it is.

With the new landscape of college athletics, if you don’t have someone in place so the poor little kids don’t feel abandoned. Otherwise they up and portal out.

It can be justified both ways.

Reactions: Euell
ADVERTISEMENT