ADVERTISEMENT

Big12.....meatgrinder or mediocre

Here is the Sagarin ratings.

1 BIG 12 = 85.35 85.53 ( 1) 10 85.51 ( 1)
2 ATLANTIC COAST = 84.03 83.71 ( 3) 15 83.87 ( 3)
3 BIG EAST = 83.84 84.08 ( 2) 10 83.90 ( 2)
4 SOUTHEASTERN = 82.89 82.90 ( 5) 14 82.90 ( 5)
5 BIG TEN = 82.65 83.11 ( 4) 14 82.98 ( 4)
6 PAC-12 = 79.78 79.29 ( 6) 12 79.48 ( 6)
7 AMERICAN ATHLETIC = 77.26 77.35 ( 7) 12 77.31 ( 7)
8 MOUNTAIN WEST = 75.58 75.24 ( 8) 11 75.42 ( 8)
9 ATLANTIC 10 = 73.97 74.31 ( 9) 14 74.20 ( 9)
10 MISSOURI VALLEY = 73.75 74.21 ( 10) 10 74.10 ( 10)

I could be wrong, but this might suggest that only a troll would use the word mediocre to describe the B12 in basketball this year.

I screwed up and posted last years numbers. Here is this years.

1 BIG 12 = 85.33 85.09 ( 1) 10 85.16 ( 1)
2 BIG TEN = 84.45 84.67 ( 2) 14 84.61 ( 2)
3 ATLANTIC COAST = 84.36 84.54 ( 3) 15 84.43 ( 3)
4 SOUTHEASTERN = 82.99 83.26 ( 4) 14 83.18 ( 4)
5 BIG EAST = 81.69 82.01 ( 5) 10 81.94 ( 5)
6 PAC-12 = 78.78 78.26 ( 6) 12 78.47 ( 6)
7 AMER. ATHLETIC = 77.88 77.59 ( 7) 12 77.82 ( 7)
8 WEST COAST = 75.81 76.23 ( 8) 10 75.85 ( 8)
9 MAC(east) = 75.12 75.39 ( 9) 6 75.23 ( 9)
10 MOUNTAIN WEST = 73.54 73.57 ( 10) 11 73.53 ( 10)

Reactions: TheSerialLiker
Interesting that as bad as we are this year, WVU is rated higher than 4 ACC teams and all of Conference USA.

The middle Big 12 teams can compete against the top of the ACC on a nightly basis.
If the ACC had any depth UVA and UNC would have a few more losses.

Besides Grand Canyon University....an online school, UNC was the weakest defense Texas faced all year.
UVA and VA Tech aren't that good...
But because they limit possessions and play D in the ACC they look good.
I expect UVA to not get past the Sweet 16

The middle Big 12 teams can compete against the top of the ACC on a nightly basis.

Besides Grand Canyon University....an online school, UNC was the weakest defense Texas faced all year.

Grand Canyon an online school? Nowadays, which schools, including ours, does not have an online program. Besides, GCU is coached by Thunder Dan Majerle, retired NBA Phoenix Suns player. GCU is located near downtown Phoenix and has a small, but very nice, campus.

Grand Canyon an online school? Nowadays, which schools, including ours, does not have an online program. Besides, GCU is coached by Thunder Dan Majerle, retired NBA Phoenix Suns player. GCU is located near downtown Phoenix and has a small, but very nice, campus.

Their basketball team plays like Majerle.
I watched them the game before they played Texas. It was against Nevada and they gave Nevada a good game.
Against Texas....haven't seen the offense look that good except against N Carolina.

Regarding UNC.
It is White. The guy who looks like Crabman.
He will score 25-30 but will give up about the same amount of points.

I guess we’ll see how March goes 5-0. There just seems to be something missing with the Big12 this year. It’s always useless when Conference play starts because who knows how tough a team is from time to time. Look at WVU the first 5-10 games. Different team today. LOL at middle of the pack Big12 team like TCU or Baylor playing Duke or UVA. Texass always the jokester.

I guess we’ll see how March goes 5-0. There just seems to be something missing with the Big12 this year. It’s always useless when Conference play starts because who knows how tough a team is from time to time. Look at WVU the first 5-10 games. Different team today. LOL at middle of the pack Big12 team like TCU or Baylor playing Duke or UVA. Texass always the jokester.

I have only seen Texas lose two games they played with a sense of urgency.
Michigan St and Kansas St

You know what both have in common.
Guards who are slightly more mature than what Texas has.

Duke is a great team and I think they will make a deep run.
But....
Duke is horrible as a half court D. When they don't get turnovers they give up easy baskets.
Plus their shot selection isn't the best.
If UVA was any better they would beat them.
Sorry....not a big believer in Virginia outside of the conference.
They will have trouble with athletic teams with PGs that can penetrate and kick.

The top is missing. But unlike the rest of the conferences the bottom is small so the B12 average is higher.

I have only seen Texas lose two games they played with a sense of urgency.
Michigan St and Kansas St

You know what both have in common.
Guards who are slightly more mature than what Texas has.

Duke is a great team and I think they will make a deep run.
But....
Duke is horrible as a half court D. When they don't get turnovers they give up easy baskets.
Plus their shot selection isn't the best.
If UVA was any better they would beat them.
Sorry....not a big believer in Virginia outside of the conference.
They will have trouble with athletic teams with PGs that can penetrate and kick.

Whatever Texass. March is right around the corner. We’ll see what Committee thinks and we’ll see who rules by April.

Whatever Texass. March is right around the corner. We’ll see what Committee thinks and we’ll see who rules by April.

I am sure you will find something that fits your narrative...
Conference warfare is for losing programs.

You would get much more respect if you compared Pitt to West Virginia.
I think they have you beaten in the 4 major sports.
Football
Men's and Women's basketball
Baseball

I am sure you will find something that fits your narrative...
Conference warfare is for losing programs.

You would get much more respect if you compared Pitt to West Virginia.
I think they have you beaten in the 4 major sports.
Football
Men's and Women's basketball
Baseball

Texass Pitt hasn’t played WVU in football in years. No way to know if WVU could have beaten the Pitt team that beat Top10 Penn State and National Champion Clemson in the same season. No way to know if WVU would have beaten the Pitt team that pounded the same Miami that a month later pounded WVU. Who knows about this years WVU team that lost to Syracuse and just about any of the good teams on their schedule. Pitt was generally, not every year, the better basketball program throughout the Holland/Dixon period. Obviously the last three years Pitt hoops is awful. Anyone talking woman’s hoops and baseball is a dipshit.

At least Pitt got rid of Shawn Watson...
Could have told you that wouldn't work out.
Don't know much about Mark Whipple.
Think Pitt needs to try to spread the field more and throw downfield.

Thought your QB last year was tough. Don't know if he returns. The guy comes to play.

But....
Don't try to use transitive property to prove you were in anyway better than WV last year.

Your QB was good and you had a decent defense but I doubt you would slow down Will Grier.

Don't know if it is true...
But only thing that slowed Grier down last year was a concussion.

Very solid conference. Not mediocre.

Not quite meat grinder but closer to meat grinder than mediocrity.

Don't see a final four team, but Kansas youth looks pretty good. Anything can happen.

You have to give credit where credit is due...
Will Grier can make all the throws needed to play at an elite level.
Especially when you put Dana's mind with it as well as all the WRs.

UCF's QB has maybe 70% of the arm that Grier has and UCF torched them.

Pitt wouldn't have been able to keep up with WV.
Probably would have been 34-14.
Plus WV's D wasn't half bad when they played an average offense.

Will Grier can make all the throws needed to play at an elite level.
Especially when you put Dana's mind with it as well as all the WRs.

Ok FakeGenius...then how come the Mountaineers tanked under DH as HC and WG as QB. I am waiting for the tough Big 12-2=10 excuse lol.

Grand Canyon University! As Larry the Cable Guy would say, "Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!" [cheers]

Tanked???

DH refused to adjust the offense to more power runs against ISU and OSU. And, we couldn't out score Oklahoma.

Ok FakeGenius...then how come the Mountaineers tanked under DH as HC and WG as QB. I am waiting for the tough Big 12-2=10 excuse lol.

Tanked...
Pitt wouldnt have been bowl eligible in the Big XII.
So wouldn't say WV tanked ...They had some holes in the secondary and depth at LB issues.
But a team like Pitt doesn't have the talent on offense to take advantage.

We saw Pitt in 2017 against Oklahoma St
It was 42-0 or something at halftime

I had just taken one of the most notorious antagonists on this website off of ignore. What the hell was I thinking? I cannot imagine any sort of mental state or neurosis that could cause me to spend time on another team's fan website just to bash their team and conference to provoke a reaction. Behind the safety of a keyboard and monitor of course!

These Pitt fans tried the same tactic with Penn State.
It failed.
They thought because they were in the Big East and left Penn State out they were in the better position.

Hate to be the burden of bad news but the ACC is the Big East now.
With a lot of the same problems.

1) Reliance on a sport that draws horrible ratings.
The UNC/Duke game tonight won't even match a Top 10 college football game on a weekly basis.
2) Northeast schools
3) Waiting on ND
4) Horrible football ratings. On average the PAC 12 had better ratings than the ACC....

But let Pitt fans tell their story.

It failed.
They thought because they were in the Big East and left Penn State out they were in the better position.

The UNC/Duke game tonight won't even match a Top 10 college football game on a weekly basis.
2) Northeast schools
3) Waiting on ND
4) Horrible football ratings. On average the PAC 12 had better ratings than the ACC....

All true, no doubt. But other than those few things it's a pretty good conference, right? I live just South of Charlotte and have to pay for the SEC network, not the ACC. Not that far from Clemson.

It failed.

2) Northeast schools
3) Waiting on ND

Glass house there Townes. The ACC has won the playoff two out of the last three years. B12? If you are going to troll try not to look like an idiot.

Reactions: Rootmaster
All true, no doubt. But other than those few things it's a pretty good conference, right? I live just South of Charlotte and have to pay for the SEC network, not the ACC. Not that far from Clemson.

The core of the ACC is.
Even if you add Florida St and Louisville.

Their biggest issue will be too many mouths to feed with not enough money
Florida St doesn't have IPTAY.
Florida St already fleeced their boosters.

Even if the ACC network is a mild success.
Florida St is the unhappy one. Mainly because their university president stopped their attempt to leave in 2012.
This ultimately led to the destruction of Florida St football and Jimbo leaving.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
If the UNC administration would have listened to some of their people between 1989-1991 they wouldn't be in this position.
They would have had Penn St and Maryland would have never left....
But the ACC and UNC weren't interested in Penn St.

So now their move into the Northeast is without the only school that can bring in eyeballs.

I could be wrong and their network does fine.
I think we should all know by 2022.

But the people around the ACC have doubts.

When I was growing up and there was a comparison of economic status of all the states the common refrain across W Va. was, "Thank God for Mississippi!" Relating to the overall success and economic viability of conferences the ACC has to be saying, "Thank God for Clemson" and maybe "Thank God for the PAC."

When I was growing up and there was a comparison of economic status of all the states the common refrain across W Va. was, "Thank God for Mississippi!" Relating to the overall success and economic viability of conferences the ACC has to be saying, "Thank God for Clemson" and maybe "Thank God for the PAC."

The conference network could be a profit maker.
So...I wouldn't say anything for sure. I don't see it adding up because there is not the overall support for college athletics except for a few schools.

But....how much pull does ESPN have or how great is ESPN at selling the ACC.
PAC 12 owns their network outright as they don't have a media network backing them. Their biggest issue. But...the PAC 12 doesn't have to split their small pie with ESPN. ESPN for their work will take a large percentage of the ACC pie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT