ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 bent Nebraska over and spanked them....

Big 12 is targeting USC...

This is coming from people in the know.

Nebraska isn't the target to the Big 12 they think they are.

Big 12 needs to expand their talent pool.

California gives the Big 12 another state to recruit.
Players there are already taking about playing for the Big 12.

Even in Vegas and Phoenix. Both places have some talent there as well.

California HS are adjusting more to a Big 12 style of football.

If Nebraska is included. Who knows.

But it isn't a smart move.

Nebraska is stuck where they are at.
Have to deal with it.
Bull shit. What on earth would the B12 want them for? It makes zero sense...

Tony Fields is a Texas lock

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Bull shit. What on earth would the B12 want them for? It makes zero sense...

Tony Fields is a Texas lock

They are a BlueBlood school.

Regarding Fields. You do know what happened.
He thought he was going to commit to Texas. They even had the video ready. But Texas said no.
They changed the video.

Hayes Fawcett makes pretty much all the commitment info so he is the #1 guy to get info from with any recruit connected to Texas or any recruit in Texas and around the state. He is actually a LSU guy. His connections in Louisiana are probably even more than they are in Texas.

Well,
Something to keep in mind,
WVU Went from $ 8 million in big east,
to like ~•$$ 50 million in b12, overall in football.

Fast fwd to today;
Any additional members to b12, would initially cause all b12 members to drop in revenue.

Expansion is
Not worth losing ~• $$10 million, per year per school because
this WVU msg board is having insecurity issues, Again.

Doubt Oklahoma or Texas
thinks much about WVU, opinions on this

Yeah you remember when Mickey was writing those articles, or whoever was writing for him, was making a huge fuss about Dana and Oliver Luck putting West Virginia in the red? LOL

Russia "hoax"--the only "hoax" there is your dear leader letting off all the traitorous crooks convicted for their part in covering up his own traitorous behavior. You don't have multiple convicted people from a "hoax" like, say the H. Clinton hoax where right wingers wasted tens of millions of tax payer money, investigating the same lies over and over and over just to finally come out after working with a foreign enemy to overthrow the American government to say once again they found nothing (and yet still some right wing nutjobs are still trying to spout that nonsense).

Crimes were committed and the radical right knows it well--that's why they had "grim reaper" corrupt McConnell BLOCK ALL EVIDENCE in the impeachment trial.

Shutting travel from China was a racist act. If you wanted to stop Covid, shutting down travel from a country that was getting the disease under control but allowing travel from Italy, where it was then raging (so much so they had to shut the country down completely). But did you nutjobs do that? NO, because allowing "European" people to travel to the USA was A-ok! Covid or no covid. Listening to doctors and scientists, getting people to lockdown at the beginning of the crisis, wear masks, social distance, wash frequently and contact tracing those that have the disease and who they exposed, plus getting companies to produce the technology needed by hospitals to treat the sick and keep healthworkers safe was what was actually needed. Not a racist act to lock down only 1 of the MANY countries that were facing the epidemic at the time.

Instead, rethuglicans across America have been blocking safety measures, lying about the disease and stopping any and all attempts to get the disease (which is not politics) under control. Clearly trying to infect and kill as many as possible. Forcing people to work while pushing against any and everything that would keep them safe there, forcing people to school while lying about kids being "immune" even as nearly 100,000 kids have been infected recently and some have died.

Its all rethuglican nonsense--pretend Trump didn't work with Russia to get elected--even his own people hired by him just said its happening AGAIN RIGHT NOW, pretend that covid is a "liberal hoax" when in actuality its a disease killing hundreds of thousands and infecting millions that would be all but over in the U.S. had there been leadership--but with rethuglicans there is no governance, just taking away from everyone to give to the wealthy and doing anything from selling out the country to creating civil war to prop themselves up.

Now, you are pretending you want football, when what you REALLY want is for everyone to pretend there is no disease so that your dear leader can pretend he and his party haven't failed massively and created the worst disaster in American history that will take years to recover from and has now altered America probably forever.

lighten up Francis.

USC is preparing the fanbase.
Lisa Horne is another person who has deep connections with the USC Family

Yeah you remember when Mickey was writing those articles, or whoever was writing for him, was making a huge fuss about Dana and Oliver Luck putting West Virginia in the red? LOL

I'm not sure "honestly"
about both Pretty Boy, and Oliver.

Liked Oliver a WVU player,
but not as an administrator, ultimately.

Dana ran a very dynamic and entertaining offense, but Dana ran off an
"all star list" of assistant coaches; thus, damaging WVU.

Liked Eddy P, because he did
"more with less" resources then
any WVU AD, iN WVU history.

my understanding is WVU prez secured the b12 offer, invitation and acceptance - Clemens deserved the credit.

Now it's time to win and Neal Brown helps WVU finally replace Don Nehlen.

Last edited:
I'm not sure "honestly"
about both Pretty Boy, and Oliver.

Liked Oliver a WVU player,
but not as an administrator, ultimately.

Dana ran a very dynamic and entertaining offense, but Dana ran off an
"all star list" of assistant coaches; thus, damaging WVU.

Liked Eddy P, because he did
"more with less" resources then
any WVU AD, iN WVU history.

my understanding is WVU prez secured the b12 offer, invitation and acceptance - Clemens deserved the credit.

Now it's time to win and Neal Brown helps WVU finally replace Don Nehlen.

Don Nehlen played a vital role by speaking to his friend Chuck Neinas the then Big 12 commissioner was the key that opened the door.

Athletic Director Oliver Luck and then-President Jim Clements pushing the move, even going so far as to include the seldom but nonetheless crucial role that former West Virginia football coach Don Nehlen played in the process.

Luck and Clements had an especially valuable ally in their fight to land in the Big 12: Don Nehlen. Clements asked the Mountaineers’ Hall of Fame football coach to reach out to Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas and help make their case. They’d been great friends for decades, dating back to when Neinas was executive director of the College Football Association and Nehlen was chairman of the CFA’s coaches committee and the two worked closely together on a variety of national issues.

“Big-time,” Clements said. “That was key. That relationship was critical.”

Reactions: Rootmaster and mofo
Don Nehlen played a vital role by speaking to his friend Chuck Neinas the then Big 12 commissioner was the key that opened the door.

Athletic Director Oliver Luck and then-President Jim Clements pushing the move, even going so far as to include the seldom but nonetheless crucial role that former West Virginia football coach Don Nehlen played in the process.

Luck and Clements had an especially valuable ally in their fight to land in the Big 12: Don Nehlen. Clements asked the Mountaineers’ Hall of Fame football coach to reach out to Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas and help make their case. They’d been great friends for decades, dating back to when Neinas was executive director of the College Football Association and Nehlen was chairman of the CFA’s coaches committee and the two worked closely together on a variety of national issues.

“Big-time,” Clements said. “That was key. That relationship was critical.”

Excellent summary...

Learning something new today
about Hall Of Fame Coach Don Nehlen.. .

Dang excellent summary.. Don Nehlen

Yea B12 will take USC cuz someone thinks they should. I should get someone to tell Bezos to make me VP of Operations...

Next thing you know Notre Dame will want to be a full time member of the Big 12 so they can play USC for conference rival game. Then after that FSU and Clemson will make the jump because Big 12 has USC and ND. They would love a power conferences.

Simply Amazing!

If USC wants to come to the Big 12 there is a spot for them.

This has been going on for a few years. When they visited Austin they saw the difference. They need a larger stage
Oregon doesn't provide it. Their stadium is AAC size. About the same size as UCF

USC needs to be able to keep their third tier rights and negotiate it on their own.
They want what Texas has.

For WVU if is another game they can attract recruits with
USC has a big name on the East Coast. WVU can get big name recruits to show up

Next thing you know Notre Dame will want to be a full time member of the Big 12 so they can play USC for conference rival game. Then after that FSU and Clemson will make the jump because Big 12 has USC and ND. They would love a power conferences.

Simply Amazing!

That is where the idea of Super Conference comes in.

Keep what is yours...

We will find out. A school like USC likes the idea that they don't have to share with the leeches.

In their mind every school in their conference eats from their bowl.

Geez are you all still discussing
this pipe dream?

Because it is being promoted by them...

If people in the Big 12 was saying it...That would be different. But the idea is being promoted by people around USC

Because it is being promoted by them...

If people in the Big 12 was saying it...That would be different. But the idea is being promoted by people around USC

Has zero legs, there is nothing to any reason West Virginia should promote another move 2000 miles west.

Very bad and impractical for a West Virginia should wish to move further west, geographically.

But believe what you wish. Conversations like promote msg board activity.

Just think about it this way.

There is a larger meaning here.

Texas is targeting major California companies for similar reasons they are targeting USC

Any hardcore conservative would be wanting this to happen.

USC actually for the most part represents those Orange and SD County suburban conservatives who are looking to move to Texas and other places.

Has zero legs, there is nothing to any reason West Virginia should promote another move 2000 miles west.

Very bad and impractical for a West Virginia should wish to move further west, geographically.

But believe what you wish. Conversations like promote msg board activity.

But you do know what WV wants isn't always what WV gets

They just have to make the most of it.

Selling playing Texas, USC and Oklahoma could make them the #1 school in the area if they play it right

Here’s Andy Staples of the Athletic.

Between now and when the Pac-12’s media rights deal — and accompanying Grant of Rights agreement — runs out in spring 2024, the Big 12 needs to invite USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Arizona State.

The Big 12 needs to do to the Pac-12 what the Pac-12 tried to do 10 years ago to the Big 12. It needs to do it unapologetically. If we learned anything from the previous rounds of conference realignment, this is a kill-or-be-killed business. The Pac-12 took its shot in 2010 and missed. The Big 12 can secure its long-term survival by ensuring it doesn’t. [Athletic]

Now it is Scott’s league that faces the existential crisis. And the drivers for realignment have changed. It makes no sense for the Big Ten or SEC to expand again. There is no one other than Texas and Oklahoma that either league would want, and Texas and Oklahoma seem content being the primary muscle in the Big 12.

Meanwhile, cord-cutting has rendered territory acquisition for the sake of higher cable network subscriber fees, the raison d’etre for the last round of realignment, a fool’s errand. If there is another major round of realignment — and the move being suggested here probably is the only inciting action that would inspire another round — it will be driven by brand names that can draw viewers from across the country. [Athletic]

A 16-team Big 12 (or whatever) would be a coup, though I don’t know how Stanford and Cal get left out or if Oregon and Washington could leave their in-state brethren. If it did work, though, you could even go back to the old north/south divisions!

Big 12 North
WVU
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oregon
Washington
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Big 12 South
USC
UCLA
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Arizona
Arizona State

Put it in my veins! If you wanted to keep the nine-game schedule, OSU’s could look like this in a given year.

at Iowa State
WVU
at Washington
at Kansas
Kansas State
Oregon
at UCLA
Arizona State
at OU

A pipe dream, for sure, but a worthy one. And one that could — I can’t believe I’m saying this — make the Big 12 equivalent to the Big Two (SEC and Big Ten). I don’t think it could usurp those conferences, but it could certainly pull even with them. An unthinkable outcome as recently as five years ago. And now we’re simply one realignment missile from it being a real conversation.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/pac-12-big-12-merger-would-pull-new-conference-even-with-sec-big-ten/

Those are the other schools trying to get on.

That is what Oregon and Washington want

That is how important USC is to them.

They have the idea that USC is trying to make the move.
Two choices. PAC 12 gives in to USC or USC leaves.
Because they can also get what they want from the conference but some of those schools might think they can do without them.

But you do know what WV wants isn't always what WV gets

They just have to make the most of it.

Selling playing Texas, USC and Oklahoma could make them the #1 school in the area if they play it right

I don't see it, especially from WVU perspective (or even Oklahoma or Texas)
but it's very nice to exchange opinions without exchanging insults.

I don't see it, especially from WVU perspective (or even Oklahoma or Texas)
but it's very nice to exchange opinions without exchanging insults.

From a Texas perspective it gives them another school you can't destroy.

You can't destroy SC. Until they no longer have talent in Southern California or people don't care for them..
A lot of kids there dream about playing for USC. They are a magnet for recruits.

I can't say that about Oklahoma. OU wins 5-7 games for a 4-5 yeah period their recruiting would really be hurt. Mainly because they don't have the instate talent. They are a program that relies on others

Texas needs another school who doesn't.

From an OU perspective it gives them another place to plant both their feet in.
The have connections to California as well. Always have recruited the state

Here’s Andy Staples of the Athletic.

Between now and when the Pac-12’s media rights deal — and accompanying Grant of Rights agreement — runs out in spring 2024, the Big 12 needs to invite USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Arizona State.

The Big 12 needs to do to the Pac-12 what the Pac-12 tried to do 10 years ago to the Big 12. It needs to do it unapologetically. If we learned anything from the previous rounds of conference realignment, this is a kill-or-be-killed business. The Pac-12 took its shot in 2010 and missed. The Big 12 can secure its long-term survival by ensuring it doesn’t. [Athletic]

Now it is Scott’s league that faces the existential crisis. And the drivers for realignment have changed. It makes no sense for the Big Ten or SEC to expand again. There is no one other than Texas and Oklahoma that either league would want, and Texas and Oklahoma seem content being the primary muscle in the Big 12.

Meanwhile, cord-cutting has rendered territory acquisition for the sake of higher cable network subscriber fees, the raison d’etre for the last round of realignment, a fool’s errand. If there is another major round of realignment — and the move being suggested here probably is the only inciting action that would inspire another round — it will be driven by brand names that can draw viewers from across the country. [Athletic]

A 16-team Big 12 (or whatever) would be a coup, though I don’t know how Stanford and Cal get left out or if Oregon and Washington could leave their in-state brethren. If it did work, though, you could even go back to the old north/south divisions!

Big 12 North
WVU
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oregon
Washington
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Big 12 South
USC
UCLA
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Arizona
Arizona State

Put it in my veins! If you wanted to keep the nine-game schedule, OSU’s could look like this in a given year.

at Iowa State
WVU
at Washington
at Kansas
Kansas State
Oregon
at UCLA
Arizona State
at OU

A pipe dream, for sure, but a worthy one. And one that could — I can’t believe I’m saying this — make the Big 12 equivalent to the Big Two (SEC and Big Ten). I don’t think it could usurp those conferences, but it could certainly pull even with them. An unthinkable outcome as recently as five years ago. And now we’re simply one realignment missile from it being a real conversation.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/pac-12-big-12-merger-would-pull-new-conference-even-with-sec-big-ten/
Just asking because I really don't know...but are Oregon and OSU and Washington and WSU not joined at the hip?

If this were to ever happen....you could take one but not the little brother?

From a Texas perspective it gives them another school you can't destroy.

You can't destroy SC. Until they no longer have talent in Southern California or people don't care for them..
A lot of kids there dream about playing for USC. They are a magnet for recruits.

I can't say that about Oklahoma. OU wins 5-7 games for a 4-5 yeah period their recruiting would really be hurt. Mainly because they don't have the instate talent. They are a program that relies on others

Texas needs another school who doesn't.

From an OU perspective it gives them another place to plant both their feet in.
The have connections to California as well. Always have recruited the state

Allot of California players and talent goto Boise and Utah. Yes, Utah is now in pac12 but I see zero advantages for b12 to expand further 2000 miles west, Zero.

I see zero reasons for your expansion debate. Logististics, emotional or economic
extra tv money - Zero...

Plus Minus, negative

Especially logistics.

Last edited:
Well,
it's an educated guess that no one here on this WVU msg board
(in favor of USC/b12 discussion)
has ever visited or spent time in
Los Angeles and never experienced LAX.

Los Angeles is a "hell hole".
USC borders the worst part of LA,
(Add 2000 miles to the logistics).

Any hopes or discussion of this pipe dream,
actually damages WVU.

Last edited:
I have been to LA, San Francisco, Oakland and San Diego. I would choose San Diego over any of above in California. But to be completely honest I wouldn't want to be within 100 feet of a liberal leftist state as bad as California.

As far as USC coming to the Big 12 I would be all for it. As far as it happening, never gonna happen.

My opinion, is that when these super conferences form, and God knows when that will take place, but likely would end up being four major conferences of 20 teams per, you would likely see WVU end up playing in the ACC, or whatever name they happen to choose. WVU playing in a conference with teams 1,000 to 2,000 miles away makes no sense whatsoever. I think most people, if honest, have to fill playing in the Big XII makes no sense, but it was the cards dealt, and the hand they had to play.

Lastly, if the current confusion taking place, due to COVID, they have to come up with a governing body that makes the calls for all P5 conferences, in order to maintain some level of consistency. You have that in basketball with the NCAA. While on the NCAA, they plan to announce mid-September as to whether or not the hoops season will start on time, or be delayed. You already have issues with the PAC 12 and maybe a couple mid major conferences already canceling sports until the end of the calendar year, so I look for hoops to be delayed.

Just asking because I really don't know...but are Oregon and OSU and Washington and WSU not joined at the hip?

If this were to ever happen....you could take one but not the little brother?

I don't know nor do I care. I don't see any of this happening anyway. IMO even if it did happen Big 12 (Texas) would never want Oregon, OSU, Washington and WSU.

I guess WVU wasn't joined at the hip to anyone as all the eastern schools abandon them. Even their oldest rival Pitt.

I can see it now WVU @ USC 12 o'clock kickoff = 9 AM EST.

My opinion, is that when these super conferences form, and God knows when that will take place, but likely would end up being four major conferences of 20 teams per, you would likely see WVU end up playing in the ACC, or whatever name they happen to choose. WVU playing in a conference with teams 1,000 to 2,000 miles away makes no sense whatsoever. I think most people, if honest, have to fill playing in the Big XII makes no sense, but it was the cards dealt, and the hand they had to play.

Lastly, if the current confusion taking place, due to COVID, they have to come up with a governing body that makes the calls for all P5 conferences, in order to maintain some level of consistency. You have that in basketball with the NCAA. While on the NCAA, they plan to announce mid-September as to whether or not the hoops season will start on time, or be delayed. You already have issues with the PAC 12 and maybe a couple mid major conferences already canceling sports until the end of the calendar year, so I look for hoops to be delayed.

WVU in ACC will never happen as long as UNC is a member of the ACC.

I can see it now WVU @ USC 12 o'clock kickoff = 9 AM EST.
I think you got that backwards. Noon kickoff in Southern Cal, would be 3 o'clock here, so old guys like us should be up from our afternoon naps by then. It's those 8 o'clock prime time starts out in LA that would be a bitch.

I think you got that backwards. Noon kickoff in Southern Cal, would be 3 o'clock here, so old guys like us should be up from our afternoon naps by then. It's those 8 o'clock prime time starts out in LA that would be a bitch.

I live in a backwards world.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Well,
it's an educated guess that no one here on this WVU msg board
(in favor of USC/b12 discussion)
has ever visited or spent time in
Los Angeles and never experienced LAX.

Los Angeles is a "hell hole".
USC borders the worst part of LA,
(Add 2000 miles to the logistics).

Any hopes or discussion of this pipe dream,
actually damages WVU.

What does any of this have to do with USC joining the Big 12...

I finished my Marine career at MCAS El Toro in the mid 90's. Right when they shut down the base and moved the 3rd MAW to MCAS Miramar.

I think the PAC 12 teams coming to Big 12 is a stretch outside of Arizona and Arizona St and maybe Utah and Colorado. Who knows..Big 12 playing Pac12 teams outside of us, isn’t a major deal in regards to travel.

Personally what kills the allure for us to get into another conference if power 5 champs and three at large bids shape up the playoffs.

Everyone wins and no use for a dumbass committee to decide who gets in. I’m not in favor of the current playoff format especially when the talking heads at ESPN basically said that records don’t matter too much because the “best” teams will be picked....

Essentially UCF had to go undefeated two years in a row it was not considered. Teams like West Virginia would have to go undefeated two years in a row to get a shot at the playoffs and that’s a stretch. You don’t control your own destiny.

If they went with conference champs and three at large, everyone wins. Two SEC teams and Notre Dame gets in too. It’s the ESPN dream unless a mediocre conference champ beats a SEC team.

It is creating a foundation for one of two things to happen

1) PAC 12 tells USC no and USC looks elsewhere

2) PAC 12 agrees to give USC their third tier rights back. This allows Texas the chance to play in the PAC 12 and keep their LHN

Goes back to the point I made about Texas and USC being in the same conference.

What USC wants is what Texas originally wanted from the PAC 12

The question becomes how much power does the Big 12 schools have.

Do we see the removal of Washington State and Oregon State to the MWC
Then Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State join with possibly Iowa State.

Worst case scenario for WVU financially would be for the PAC 12 to bend over for USC.

2) PAC 12 agrees to give USC their third tier rights back. This allows Texas the chance to play in the PAC 12 and keep their LHN

Then Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State join with possibly Iowa State.

Worst case scenario for WVU financially would be for the PAC 12 to bend over for USC.

USC isn't leaving pac12.
Don't be blackmailed by your own thoughts

You all are so transfixed that you are now at the emotional ecstacy that you all now think, you are losing USC.

Kinda a bad position to be from an emotional and business position.

Last edited:
USC isn't leaving pac12

So PAC 12 will give into their demands...

The status quo in the PAC 12 isn't going to continue
They are pretty much creating an ultimatum.

Only other thing that could happen is becoming a FBS independent but the issue is where do their other sports play.

I hard to fathom, that a West Virginia msg board to so transfixed on a school that is 2000 miles away, geographically.

Led by you.

Pursuing USC is bad business
for b12 and a waste of time.

But msg board fodder,
during down time sports.

Where is Terry Bowden? - another fruitless fixation generator.

I hard to fathom, that a West Virginia msg board to so transfixed on a school that is 2000 miles away, geographically.

Led by you.

Pursuing USC is bad business
for b12 and a waste of time.

It is what is going on...

USC is asking to control their third tier rights..

Because whatever happens according to you isn't perfect for WV..
This is why I speak about practical thinking.

Because the world will never be perfect for WV with where they are now.
So best thing for them is to see what is needed for that to happen.

More money for their football program
Able to create a Top 15 team every year in the Big 12 in both football and basketball

Does USC help that
That is the only question. Does USC help WVU.

I think they do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT