ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 12 meeting with candidates

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
The BIG 12 began meeting with candidates this week-Houston had theirs yesterday--here are some tidbits from an article on that:

excerpt:
UH is among 11 schools, which includes Rice, expected to make presentations this week in Dallas. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Big 12 and the schools invited to make bids to join the conference signed non-disclosure agreements due to the sensitive nature of the discussions.

The Big 12 announced July 19 that it planned to explore whether to expand by two or four schools or remain at 10 members. UH is considered among the front runners, along with BYU and Cincinnati....

An expansion candidate will need eight "yes" votes from the Big 12 board of directors, composed of presidents and chancellors.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-making-its-pitch-to-join-Big-12-today-9208268.php

Interesting tweet showing OUs new scoreboard/stadium construction

OU Nation ‏@OUnation Sep 1

So what are the 12 (6 on either side) flag poles for? Do they know something we don't? #Big12

CrUQHp1UEAA9nK0.jpg

42 retweets 85 likes

I can feel the excitement building over the possibility of adding Rice and SMU and Tulane.

I can feel the excitement building over the possibility of adding Rice and SMU and Tulane.

Yes much better to feel the "excitement" of having to look for a new conference or remain in major college athletics in a few years right? That'd be great!!! yeah! :wink:

Reactions: Rootmaster
Thanks for the breaking news update, Bucky. I have to be honest, as this is the first time I've heard anything about the Big 12 possibly expanding...at least until I read your threads from yesterday.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
gollee gee Herdy--didn't know you could read. Feel free to never read or respond to anything I post again-I know that's what I'll do with your worthless rants.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
Ho HUM. Glad to see we are working to skim the cream from he top. Only the best is good enough. Must not have been able to convince Hawaii, Montana, Maine or el Paso.

Ho HUM. Glad to see we are working to skim the cream from he top. Only the best is good enough. Must not have been able to convince Hawaii, Montana, Maine or el Paso.
Yes because a successful business is never grown it's always just successful. Especially with a school like Houston having nothing to offer the conference unlike mighty WVU right?

Yes because a successful business is never grown it's always just successful.

I agree.

Expansion is now an investment (hello GOR ) as compared to the acquisition of a quality and established business/competitor.

Plus....this investment will mean MUCH MORE money for WVU in at least the next four or five years. If the Big 12 is going to fold we should get ours while the getting is good.

Yes much better to feel the "excitement" of having to look for a new conference or remain in major college athletics in a few years right? That'd be great!!! yeah! :wink:
If the only teams that make the cut are Rice, SMU and Tulane, this conference is doomed.

The expansion saga continues we where supposed to have an answer last may then it was mid summer then it was before the season started. etc etc etc

The expansion saga continues we where supposed to have an answer last may then it was mid summer then it was before the season started. etc etc etc

Actually... ...Buck made plenty of drama by spending months writing expansion wouldn't be happening.

...which might be true... ...but man, does he flip-flop a lot.

List everything that WVU has that the expansion candidates do not. Facts only please not Homer opinion

#14 all time W/L
Fan Base
3 BCS Bowl Wins
Already in the Big 12
WVU Vote counts
New Baseball field
Have never lost to MAC school, FCS school or Marshall.
25-25 all time against SEC

I am sure there are many other things I am forgetting.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually... ...Buck made plenty of drama by spending months writing expansion wouldn't be happening.

...which might be true... ...but man, does he flip-flop a lot.
That way no matter what happens he/she can go back and say, see guys, I told you I was right.

#14 all time W/L
Fan Base
3 BCS Bowl Wins
Already in the Big 12
WVU Vote counts
New Baseball field

I am sure there are many other things I am forgetting.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To expand on fanbase, I would add this: over the the last 35 seasons (since New Mountaineer Field was built), the average attendance at home games is over 53k last I checked. The average stadium capacity in that time frame has been about 60k. WVU has been running near 90% full in other words. There's not 1 city in WV now and for the last 10 years with a population over 50k. Our population in the state is shrinking based on the last census (2010). That speaks that WVU is a pretty devoted fanbase.

Added with the other listed resume' info, and there is no Big XII candidate school out there who can make those claims.

Btw I'm still against expansion. I love the schedule played now more than ever before. We can play BYU ooc at a neutral site game in DC every couple years.

#14 all time W/L
Fan Base
3 BCS Bowl Wins
Already in the Big 12
WVU Vote counts
New Baseball field

This has to be the most pathetic post of elitism ever lol. Fan base...bet all schools have them. Some actually have decent attendance at Spring games, or students who don't leave in the 3rd quarter because it's too hot. WVU Vote counts...wow. New baseball field...might be because the other one was Div III level and the Big 12 said no way. Never lost to FCS school and 50/50 against SEC...are you serious?

While you were at it you should have listed: has a campus, bestows degrees, sells beer at the stadium, located in the United States, is no longer part of Virginia, near the Mason-Dixon Line etc

Just glad we don't play Houston this year.

List everything that WVU has that the expansion candidates do not. Facts only please not Homer opinion

Once again, West Virginia was not an expansion school. They were a replacement school. Big difference. You can't compare West Virginia to the expansion candidates, because expansion and replacement are completely different situations with completely different goals and needs.

This has to be the most pathetic post of elitism ever lol.

Yet again, elitism has nothing to do with this. The only reason for expansion is to benefit the conference. It is not at all to give new schools a chance, build them up, level the playing field, or anything like that. It is not at all for the benefit of the new schools. The only consideration is what the new schools can do for the conference, not for what the conference can do for the new schools.

There's not 1 city in WV now and for the last 10 years with a population over 50k. Our population in the state is shrinking based on the last census (2010).

Great talking point. Really shows the vitally of our media market when compared to say, Houston.

Yet again, elitism has nothing to do with this. The only reason for expansion is to benefit the conference. It is not at all to give new schools a chance, build them up, level the playing field, or anything like that. It is not at all for the benefit of the new schools. The only consideration is what the new schools can do for the conference, not for what the conference can do for the new schools.

Do you ever read, and comprehend, before you post? lol

The point was that WVU is not a lot different from some of the expansion candidates. We were a good, quick, available replacement when the the Big 12-2=10 had become the Big 12-4=8 and on the cusp of extinction.

BTW: I happen to agree with this post of yours.

Once again, West Virginia was not an expansion school. They were a replacement school. Big difference. You can't compare West Virginia to the expansion candidates, because expansion and replacement are completely different situations with completely different goals and needs.

I guess, but there's a valid argument that the current expansion candidates are just replacements as well.

Louisville was a replacement, too.

It's just terminology, and considering this conversation is taking place on a message board by people who have no authority, influence or decision making power over the matter, wtf does it even matter?

To expand on fanbase, I would add this: over the the last 35 seasons (since New Mountaineer Field was built), the average attendance at home games is over 53k last I checked. The average stadium capacity in that time frame has been about 60k. WVU has been running near 90% full in other words. There's not 1 city in WV now and for the last 10 years with a population over 50k. Our population in the state is shrinking based on the last census (2010). That speaks that WVU is a pretty devoted fanbase.

Added with the other listed resume' info, and there is no Big XII candidate school out there who can make those claims.

Btw I'm still against expansion. I love the schedule played now more than ever before. We can play BYU ooc at a neutral site game in DC every couple years.
Nice response from both of you folks to a stupid, stupid question. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I enjoy reading your material. I've always been a fan of the comic section.

Tough to avoid Buck...approaching 20,000 posts on competing message boards. He is all about media saturation.

All posts have a hauntingly familiar theme!

Tough to avoid Buck...approaching 20,000 posts on competing message boards. He is all about media saturation.

Houston
Sorry, but I enjoy reading your material. I've always been a fan of the comic section.
I'd rather watch the top ten "Harlem Shake" videos from three yrs ago vs watching Rice and SMU clash...

Do you ever read, and comprehend, before you post? lol

The point was that WVU is not a lot different from some of the expansion candidates. We were a good, quick, available replacement when the the Big 12-2=10 had become the Big 12-4=8 and on the cusp of extinction.

BTW: I happen to agree with this post of yours.

No, I understand. I'm saying your point is irrelevant. It doesn't matter how similar WVU is to some of the expansion candidates. They have to fill a different roll than WVU, so the similarities are irrelevant. It's not "elitism" to criticize the potential candidates, because all that matters is what benefit they can bring to the conference. They have to bring different benefits that WVU.

I guess, but there's a valid argument that the current expansion candidates are just replacements as well.

Louisville was a replacement, too.

It's just terminology, and considering this conversation is taking place on a message board by people who have no authority, influence or decision making power over the matter, wtf does it even matter?

Louisville was a replacement, and that's entirely the point. The ACC didn't get any extra money for Louisville. The Big12 doesn't get extra money for the new teams either, unless the new teams take a pay cut. That's the criticism some people have. The new teams don't really add value in and of themselves. So, it's perfectly reasonable to question the long-term wisdom of adding teams just for a short-term financial gain.

If you are going to say it doesn't matter, then the whole discussion is pointless. By your logic, this thread shouldn't even exist.

No, I understand. I'm saying your point is irrelevant. It doesn't matter how similar WVU is to some of the expansion candidates. They have to fill a different roll than WVU, so the similarities are irrelevant. It's not "elitism" to criticize the potential candidates, because all that matters is what benefit they can bring to the conference. They have to bring different benefits that WVU.

Louisville was a replacement, and that's entirely the point. The ACC didn't get any extra money for Louisville. The Big12 doesn't get extra money for the new teams either, unless the new teams take a pay cut. That's the criticism some people have. The new teams don't really add value in and of themselves. So, it's perfectly reasonable to question the long-term wisdom of adding teams just for a short-term financial gain.

If you are going to say it doesn't matter, then the whole discussion is pointless. By your logic, this thread shouldn't even exist.

Well if this thread didn't exist, nothing in the world would change, that's for certain.

Amazing how many posts you have and still nothing to say but spouting off about your never ending jealousy of me? PITIFUL

Do you look no further than the hood ornament of your vehicle when you drive? It's a common practice by those who can't see long term success
The BIG 12 began meeting with candidates this week-Houston had theirs yesterday--here are some tidbits from an article on that:

excerpt:
UH is among 11 schools, which includes Rice, expected to make presentations this week in Dallas. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Big 12 and the schools invited to make bids to join the conference signed non-disclosure agreements due to the sensitive nature of the discussions.

The Big 12 announced July 19 that it planned to explore whether to expand by two or four schools or remain at 10 members. UH is considered among the front runners, along with BYU and Cincinnati....

An expansion candidate will need eight "yes" votes from the Big 12 board of directors, composed of presidents and chancellors.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-making-its-pitch-to-join-Big-12-today-9208268.php

To those upset that we aren't getting established power programs to join: Try to look past the hood ornament on this drive. Schools that have the resources and the commitment to build their program can turn their fate upside down in a mere few years. This is not the 70's. Success can be had quickly with the support of a P5 conference. Location is my main concern. If we don't get the Big 12 banner waving in a couple new states (preferably Ohio and Florida) that other P5 leagues rule then we shouldn't expand. We would be foolish not to grab someone that is right in the heart of the SEC/ACC and the B1G. Doesn't matter if it's the hind tit school in that region, just get in there and start building and giving kids there a choice. You may be surprised what can happen. Besides, our schedule is tough enough and adding a few blue bloods that everyone seems to want is just going to haunt us later on. We need stability, security and schools with POTENTIAL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT