ADVERTISEMENT

BCM - many thanks for posting that recipe for

Eerwax

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
Tavern Beef Stroganoff. I tossed out my old Stroganoff recipe after eating that, and as a bonus, the wife now thinks I'm a genius in the kitchen. :)

Hey BCM,

I copied that down and work and lost it. Would you repost it or email it to me? Thanks! I'll send you the email if you prefer to do it that way!

Tavern Room (Greenbrier Resort) Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:

- 2 ½ lb. beef tenderloin, cut into 2" x ½" strips

- ½ cup chopped shallot (about 3 medium shallots)

- 1 tsp paprika

- 3 tbs all-purpose flour

- Salt & ground black pepper to taste

- ¾ cup dry white wine (Sauvignon blanc is good)

- 6 tbs unsalted butter

- 1 cup beef stock

- 2 cups thinly sliced common mushrooms (5 oz.)

- ¾ cup sour cream

- ½ cup julienne of dill pickle

Directions:

- Sprinkle the beef with the paprika, salt and pepper, tossing to coat evenly. In a large saute pan, heat half of the butter and saute the beef over high heat until just browned on the outside, but rare on the inside (about 1 min.). Do this in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan. Set the meat aside.

- Add the remaining butter to the saute pan and saute the mushrooms until all their liquid has been rendered and evaporated (4-5 min.). Add the shallots and continue to saute until they are soft and the mushrooms are slightly brown, another 2-3 min.Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir until mixed. Add the wine, stirring to avoid lumps, and boil for about 1 minute, then add the stock, reduce the heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream, and add the meat and any accumulated juices. (Once the sour cream is added, do not boil, or it will curdle). Taste and correct the seasoning. Transfer the stroganoff to a warm serving bowl and garnish with the pickle julienne. Serve with egg noodles. Serves 8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT