ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Question

You have a bunch of guys that have never played together before and they have no structure. It's been a recipe for disaster since day one. This is a more talented team than many want to admit, which is understandable because it makes it hurt even more.
I agree. The ingredients have talent, but they clearly aren’t playing together while playing fundamentally poor IQ basketball.

Reactions: Vernon
You have a bunch of guys that have never played together before and they have no structure. It's been a recipe for disaster since day one. This is a more talented team than many want to admit, which is understandable because it makes it hurt even more.
This roster should not lose to this Ok State team. Our substituting is horrible. Our offensive structure is atrocious. We continue to pull our bigs off the block. Drives me nuts seeing Edward’s 20 feet from the basket. Park him on the block and get him the ball or offensive rebounds. Just like Culver did.

This roster should not lose to this Ok State team. Our substituting is horrible. Our offensive structure is atrocious. We continue to pull our bigs off the block. Drives me nuts seeing Edward’s 20 feet from the basket. Park him on the block and get him the ball or offensive rebounds. Just like Culver did.
It's just a bunch of athletes out there running around like they're on the local courts. It's amazing that they won some of the games that they did.

It's just a bunch of athletes out there running around like they're on the local courts. It's amazing that they won some of the games that they did.
I agree but they do have their moments but it’s hardly ever enough.

Reactions: Vernon
Which is why I’m questioning the coaching at this point. I feel like there are too many instances with low IQ for it not be somewhat related to a lack of care to play the right way. Perhaps a side effect of the transfer portal. Kids who want to take the easy way out, thrust together on a makeshift team and forced to swim or drown.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
That's why I commented about the "AAU offense". That's what it is.

Which is why I’m questioning the coaching at this point. I feel like there are too many instances with low IQ for it not be somewhat related to a lack of care to play the right way. Perhaps a side effect of the transfer portal. Kids who want to take the easy way out, thrust together on a makeshift team and forced to swim or drown.
Next year there will be a new coaching staff, and probably between 8-10 new players from the portal. IF we get a good hire, I will still say we are between 3-4 years from getting back to where we should be......hope I'm wrong.

Next year there will be a new coaching staff, and probably between 8-10 new players from the portal. IF we get a good hire, I will still say we are between 3-4 years from getting back to where we should be......hope I'm wrong.
If we get a great coach they can fix it fast with the portal but I agree I think it’s more like 3-4 years.

What we need is a cheater who wins. Somebody out of the Jim Harbaugh, John Calipari, Bill Self, Kelvin Sampson style of coaching methods. The NCAA is now powerless to crack down on cheating (see Kansas) so let’s hire a cheater who knows how to win.

Kentucky does the same thing only with McDonalds AA's...they haven't been to a final four since 2015

the talent is obvious. unguided missiles.

i don’t think it’s possible to go from video guy to “know what you are doing head coach” overnight.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Is it bad coaching or players that don’t care?
let's see.

A.) There is a staff that has little to no experience.

B) Experienced players but none that chose to play as a team.

If I knew the answer to place blame I would tell you where.

What we need is a cheater who wins. Somebody out of the Jim Harbaugh, John Calipari, Bill Self, Kelvin Sampson style of coaching methods. The NCAA is now powerless to crack down on cheating (see Kansas) so let’s hire a cheater who knows how to win.
We are not Kansas. We would be hammered to wall.

What coaching?

In game coaching didn't lose this game. I will argue the right coaching moves were made more than missed.
  • Battle sucked and was put on the bench. He needs to be more efficient, less selfish and he is absolutely terrible with the ball in his hands where he has to dribble or hit the open man that is moving. Good move to bench him.
  • First game with Edwards back. Again, a chemistry issue with the 5 players on the court. Eilert did the best he could having him in there with Slazinski and Harris as there is familiarity there from early in the season. But it is obvious he isn't 100%. You can't just post him up, they pull him out to run the pick and roll but OSU defensed it well with help during the roll. They knew to foul him late and that worked to their advantage as we were fouling their big man. Edwards was 1-4 at the FT where Garrison was 4-4. Huge late in the game. Eilert pulled him in the last minute and a half and it was the right move but I would have put Suminick in and not Akok. Akok did nothing for us late.
  • We continue to get beat on the boards and our ole' defense with with players coming down the lane and no one challenging them by playing defense with moving your feet and getting in position rather than just reaching in, recipe for giving up easy baskets. If you want to call that coaching, then ok. But when the whole team sucks at proper defense, who are you going to put in the lineup? Players have to pick up the intensity and do the dirty work and too often, they don't. Quit thinking this team is talented, they are not. We have individuals with some offensive skills but other than Suminick, Harris and Farrakahn, they are soft.
  • Theme of the season: too many horrible TO's that isn't the cause of good defense by the opposition.
I credit OSU for the win and taking advantage late of our weakness. Players didn't execute. This loss hurts more than possibly some of the others in my view.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
In game coaching didn't lose this game. I will argue the right coaching moves were made more than missed.
  • Battle sucked and was put on the bench. He needs to be more efficient, less selfish and he is absolutely terrible with the ball in his hands where he has to dribble or hit the open man that is moving. Good move to bench him.
  • First game with Edwards back. Again, a chemistry issue with the 5 players on the court. Eilert did the best he could having him in there with Slazinski and Harris as there is familiarity there from early in the season. But it is obvious he isn't 100%. You can't just post him up, they pull him out to run the pick and roll but OSU defensed it well with help during the roll. They knew to foul him late and that worked to their advantage as we were fouling their big man. Edwards was 1-4 at the FT where Garrison was 4-4. Huge late in the game. Eilert pulled him in the last minute and a half and it was the right move but I would have put Suminick in and not Akok. Akok did nothing for us late.
  • We continue to get beat on the boards and our ole' defense with with players coming down the lane and no one challenging them by playing defense with moving your feet and getting in position rather than just reaching in, recipe for giving up easy baskets. If you want to call that coaching, then ok. But when the whole team sucks at proper defense, who are you going to put in the lineup? Players have to pick up the intensity and do the dirty work and too often, they don't. Quit thinking this team is talented, they are not. We have individuals with some offensive skills but other than Suminick, Harris and Farrakahn, they are soft.
  • Theme of the season: too many horrible TO's that isn't the cause of good defense by the opposition.
I credit OSU for the win and taking advantage late of our weakness. Players didn't execute. This loss hurts more than possibly some of the others in my view.
Still had 2 timeouts that were not used.

To me it's both that failed. Coaching and players.

Still had 2 timeouts that were not used.

To me it's both that failed. Coaching and players.
Everyone can say this or that lost the OK State game......but it really is this one simple state.........RaeQuan Battle 2 points. That simple.

Looking at the remainder of the schedule, I think I'll stick with my initial prediction which was 10 total wins this season.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Everyone can say this or that lost the OK State game......but it really is this one simple state.........RaeQuan Battle 2 points. That simple.
So football losses are always the coaches fault. But basketball losses are a players fault. Got it.

Battle being invisible except when he was fumbling the ball for the umpteenth time starting a drive hurt. But whole offense was bad. Kriisa being hot gave us a belief we could win. When it came down to good execution, we had nothing.

I'm hopeful for improved chemistry with Edwards and the rest of the team against two opponents that haven't impressed me. They are winnable games. But we could lose both very easily if we continue to play soft.

So football losses are always the coaches fault. But basketball losses are a players fault. Got it.
When your best player scores 2 points and has a very bad game.......then yep. Just same as if your QB throws 4 INT's or has several fumbles and you lose by 6 points. Pretty easy.

When your best player scores 2 points and has a very bad game.......then yep. Just same as if your QB throws 4 INT's or has several fumbles and you lose by 6 points. Pretty easy.
That's when other players need to step up their game and that comes to coaching being inspired to fire up his team. You win as a team you lose as a team.

That's when other players need to step up their game and that comes to coaching being inspired to fire up his team. You win as a team you lose as a team.
Sounds like you are describing win as a team and lose its coaches fault.

Besides, Slazinski and Kerr DID step it up and had a good game. But Suemnick and Battle had bad games.

This team is bad in every statistical category that matters. You would think they could be at least average at something.

So, the answer to your question is obviously yes and yes.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT