ADVERTISEMENT

Based on Frank Beamer's 6th season at VT

oceantide83

All-American
Jan 6, 2005
.....would you have called for his firing?

97c7q7.jpg

Hokies we’re definitely loyal but I’d bet they were competitive in that 2-8-1 season. Also completely different landscape when it comes to college football.

.....would you have called for his firing?

97c7q7.jpg

I get so sick of this comparison. What was VT before Beamer? There is a difference between expectations of a program that never was like VT before Beamer or a program that has spent an entire generation in obscurity and a program like WVU. You know as well as I do that any coach at VT post Beamer would have been fired after that 6th season and rightly so.

Last edited:
I get so sick of this comparison. What was VT before Beamer? There is a difference between expectations of a program that never was like VT before Beamer or a program that has spent an entire generation in obscurity and a program like WVU. You know as well as I do that any coach at VT post Beamer would have been fired after that 6th season and rightly so.
WVU was never anything either. The overwhelming majority of WVU's wins as a program have come against cupcakes.

• Angry
Reactions: WESTBGVA and RAK
WVU was never anything either. The overwhelming majority of WVU's wins as a program have come against cupcakes.

Compared to what VT was before Beamer, WVU was a great program. Even with what Beamer has done, VT is not nor ever was a better program than WVU. I don't want to hear any more "disloyal fan" sh*t from the pro Neal Brown crowd if you believe WVU as a program is on par with VT pre 1993.

I don't think there are any pro-Brown individuals on this board. There are different levels of expectations from realistic and reasonable to unrealistic and some in between. Then there are those that do nothing but troll and make comments that they think are funny but are just stupid.

Neil Brown isn't a pimple on the ass of Frank beamer. What a stupid comparison. It's a totally different game in this day and age anyway. That was forever ago. Neil Brown is weak. He's an excuse making wussy who has never taken accountability for his poor performance in 6 years. Wvu is way out of browns league. He belongs at Moorefield state.

I don't think there are any pro-Brown individuals on this board. There are different levels of expectations from realistic and reasonable to unrealistic and some in between. Then there are those that do nothing but troll and make comments that they think are funny but are just stupid.

It is unrealistic to think what Brown has done in his 5.5 years at WVU is anything other than below average. WVU is not a blue blood, but we are a program that should have had at least one win against a team finishing ranked and at least one 6+ win season where we beat a FBS team with a winning record in a 6 year span. And that is the MINIMUM.

Bill Dooley defeated WVU several times before Beamer....went to bowl games ..the whole enchilada

Regardless, WVU was a better program than VT at the time Beamer took over. And once you take a program to the heights Beamer and/or Nehlen did, the next guy better keep that team around that level or improve on it. We teach a math lesson in a day to 12 year olds and the content of that lesson was at one time the smartest mathematicians' life work. It is not a big deal now because that revelation is an inherited advantage. Same for coaches that take over a program and inherited its last 10-15 years level of success.

It is unrealistic to think what Brown has done in his 5.5 years at WVU is anything other than below average. WVU is not a blue blood, but we are a program that should have had at least one win against a team finishing ranked and at least one 6+ win season where we beat a FBS team with a winning record in a 6 year span. And that is the MINIMUM.
I don't dispute that opinion

Neil Brown isn't a pimple on the ass of Frank beamer. What a stupid comparison. It's a totally different game in this day and age anyway. That was forever ago. Neil Brown is weak. He's an excuse making wussy who has never taken accountability for his poor performance in 6 years. Wvu is way out of browns league. He belongs at Moorefield state.
You might want to listen to his post game press conference if you don't think he recognizes his accountability.

Was anybody planning to answer the OP's question?
I'll take a stab...

In today's world, the answer is yes I would fire him for that record.

Back then, in case you didn't know, Beamer was on the hot seat. As an alumnus, plus taking over a program that was mired in mediocrity, gave him a certain amount of leeway. In other words, the expectations weren't very high to begin with. Yet, still, there were those who were calling for his head and the administration was beginning to listen. Fortunately, he had that season out of the blue in 95 and cHokie fans, like cockroaches, came out of hiding claiming they had been supporters of the program for years.

Today, the scene is completely different. No longer do you have to rely solely on recruiting (in the case of Beamer - low character barely literate convicts) high school players and developing them. NIL, the portal, etc. make building a team that is capable of winning more than it loses a not too difficult task - if you have something to offer like a name, NFL pedigree, etc.

Brown didn't and doesn't have any of that. He needed time to build up a name, program, etc. That's why those who were calling for his firing 3 years ago were just being childish. Ultimately, they were right - but still childish. Nevertheless, six years is long enough.

One can't just look at wins and losses. There are other factors that go into it. But, the overall question that must be asked is, "Is the program on an upward trajectory, regardless of the setbacks?"

If one is answering objectively, I don't see how anyone can say yes. Do you?

I'm saying the AD needs to be ACTIVELY looking at replacement candidates. If there is one better, fire Brown after Jan 1 and replace him with the guy. If not, then the only choice is to keep him until one comes available. Still, as in the case of Beamer, his seat has been hot, the program isn't on the increase, and he has had his time - he should be shown the door as soon as a replacement has been identified.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT