ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody watching the Gator Bowl?

3xWVUenginEER

All-Conference
Dec 7, 2005
ive been to like 6 Gator Bowls and NONE is as low attended as the one on now. It's amazing how few people are there. This used to be a big New Years Day game. I bet that stupid patch aint selling either.

Reactions: CharlestonEer
Watching it to. Think NCst is getting tired. Better game than what i thought it'd be.

It has been a pretty good game. They ain't got no clock to tell you how much time is left.

A&M will win it I do believe

I tell ya one thing...you can take Jimbo out of WV, but you cant take WV out of Jimbo!

Jimbo is the best play caller in college football.

If we had not of screwed up back in 07 and tried to be cheap, he'd have been the WVU Head Coach in 2008. He would have left within 2-3 great season, but he would have been here. The Hang up dealt in bonuses for on field performances. FSU got wind of it (probably due to Jimmy Sexton) and made him coach in waiting for 2 seasons til he forced the issue and beat WVU in the Gator to give Bowden a retirement win.

If Jimbo gets WV job he never leaves if he has success. RROD was a special idiot to be a WVian and leave WVU job. Even Detroit Free Press questioned why he ever left WVU being a WV man and former WVU player. Even they thought that was nuts.

Jimbo and WVU would have eventually been in power 5 conference within 3-5 years anyway. Jimbo never leaves that. Hell RROD might have stayed if WVU was in power 5 and having success. He would have made huge money at WVU having success in power 5.

If Jimbo gets WV job he never leaves if he has success. RROD was a special idiot to be a WVian and leave WVU job. Even Detroit Free Press questioned why he ever left WVU being a WV man and former WVU player. Even they thought that was nuts.

Jimbo and WVU would have eventually been in power 5 conference within 3-5 years anyway. Jimbo never leaves that.
Jimbo wouldn’t have won at WVU. He’s overrated big time

Jimbo is the best play caller in college football.

If we had not of screwed up back in 07 and tried to be cheap, he'd have been the WVU Head Coach in 2008. He would have left within 2-3 great season, but he would have been here. The Hang up dealt in bonuses for on field performances. FSU got wind of it (probably due to Jimmy Sexton) and made him coach in waiting for 2 seasons til he forced the issue and beat WVU in the Gator to give Bowden a retirement win.
He wasn’t coming. He claimed no interest very publicly. He was FSU’s HCIW.

He wasn’t coming. He claimed no interest very publicly. He was FSU’s HCIW.

Yeah, ok. I could tell you a lot more but I don't guess there is any reason to.
He only became FSUs HCIW after Pastilong went cheapskate on the bonuses and FSU got tipped off
I know Jimbo's side of it anyways.

Jimbo and WVU would have eventually been in power 5 conference within 3-5 years anyway. Jimbo never leaves that. Hell RROD might have stayed if WVU was in power 5 and having success. He would have made huge money at WVU having success in power 5.
I know nothing about the Jimbo situation. I do know though that one guy who was all set to move to Morgantown and become our HC was Skip Holtz (from ECU at the time). The Stewart bowl win and too much alcohol fed to certain folks changed that plan. I know this from folks who were within the athletic complex at ECU. One evening Skip had accepted the job offer and told all that were there. Was discussing which assistants wanted to make the move with him. Next day Bill Stewart was our HC.

Reactions: wvufootball2006
Yeah, ok. I could tell you a lot more but I don't guess there is any reason to.
He only became FSUs HCIW after Pastilong went cheapskate on the bonuses and FSU got tipped off
I know Jimbo's side of it anyways.

I heard same thing from people in the area... I don’t know him but people that claim too said the same thing

There were a lot of MT seats in that stadium. Time to expand the NC Tournament field and ditch these meaningless games.

I like the use of the word MT. That's cool

It has industry roots. Our fabrication was continuous and we needed our downstream processing capability to stay ahead of our machines. Product came out of fab and rolled up on spools. It was easy to tell when we were caught up, just count the MT spools. The abbreviation also works well for attendance at most Pitt athletic events & of course the Gator Bowl.

I know nothing about the Jimbo situation. I do know though that one guy who was all set to move to Morgantown and become our HC was Skip Holtz (from ECU at the time). The Stewart bowl win and too much alcohol fed to certain folks changed that plan. I know this from folks who were within the athletic complex at ECU. One evening Skip had accepted the job offer and told all that were there. Was discussing which assistants wanted to make the move with him. Next day Bill Stewart was our HC.

This is my understanding too. Skip was going to get the job. He was a hot name at the time.

He might have been the second choice after Jimbo, I dont know much about that but there was talks with Jimbo.

That Stewart hire really hurt the program.

This is my understanding too. Skip was going to get the job. He was a hot name at the time.

He might have been the second choice after Jimbo, I dont know much about that but there was talks with Jimbo.

Ok so where is Skip today? How successful has he been?

I agree with what you're saying. But Skip was not the first choice. He was who that consulting agency WVU paid so many 10s of Thousands of dollars for recommended (and the ridiculousness of that whole situation brings me to ask why did WVU even pay an AD if we were going to pay a Head Hunter agency?).

Weeks earlier about a week after the Dick left for Meat Chicken, it was all but signed and Jimbo told his then wife Candy "let's pack our bags we are going home." Then Pastilong tries to reduce some bonuses over the phone (things like winning a National Title, playing for a National Title, etc) and that wasn't happening after an agreement was in place. FSU somehow gets wind of this and offers the HCIW position. This is Jimbo's side of it and I'd trust the source who told me. I've known the person for years-good people. The same source told me more than a month before Jimbo left FSU for A&M that it was happening.

Had that hire happened, I think due to success Jimbo would have been gone to another school in 3 yrs but it would have been fun.

What I reported is dead on fact from a person who was present when Skip was announcing his decision in Greenville and looking for whom he might take with him. This person was among those he want to come along.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT