ADVERTISEMENT

An open letter to WVU's football coach next year

spreadoption

All-Conference
Dec 21, 2001
Dr. Mr. (fill in the blank with anybody other than Neal Brown):

Those who do not learn from mistakes are doomed to repeat them. So, please, do not repeat the blunders of Neal Brown and his overpaid and underperforming assistants. You are in a results-based business and the results of Coach Brown and his staff were embarassingly poor, which resulted in their dismissal. You are left to clean up Coach Brown's mess and return the Mountaineers to respectability. You will be given several years. Here are a few things that must be at the top of your immediate To-Do List:

1. Recruit a quarterback who is actually a threat to complete a pass.

2. No more midget quarterbacks.

3. Recruit some skill-position players who are quick-twitch athletes. WVU's best teams had quick-twitch guys, like Tavon Austin, Jock Sanders, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Amos Zereoue, etc. The teams under Coach Brown had no quick-twitch guys, which meant it was filled with guys who could not make tacklers miss and create something out of nothing, which meant no explosive plays.

4. When the son of a former WVU standout wants to play quarterback at WVU, and he's being recruited by other Power-5 programs, and is better than any quarterback you have on your roster, then offer him a scholarship and put him at the top of your recruiting board.

5. A dual-threat quarterback is always better than one-trick pony at QB.

6. Recruit -- please, please, please -- recruit size and strength. Make it a priority. WVU was laughed at by Big XII opponents for looking like a high school-sized team, not a Power-5 program. For years, our front 7 on defense was pushed around like ragdolls by Big XII teams that play grown-man football (Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma etc.) and the number of missed tackles, because our defensive players are too small and too weak -- that's the No. 1 cause of missed tackles -- was alarming. Our offensive line also failed to generate push when playing legitimate defenses, so recruit size on the OL. Remember, bigger is better.

7. Recruit a center who can make a shotgun snap without sailing it over the QB's head.

8. Do not go to the transfer portal for defensive backs from places like Duquesne, Charlotte and bad I-AA programs. The guys were at those schools because they do not have Power-5 skills. If you're going to get guys from the portal (which is a must at WVU), you get guys from Power-5 programs.

9. Hire assistant coaches who actually like -- OK, at least don't hate -- recruiting and are good at it.

10. Recruit a fullback. You can easily find a good one because most D-I teams don't utilize a fullback, so there are a bunch of good ones out there. Try putting the FB into the offense. You'd be amazed what a FB can do for your running game.

11. Don't be afraid to try something different on offense. I don't care if you want to run the triple option. At least then you would establish an identity. Coach Brown was here for six forgettable years and failed to establish an indentity for WVU football, other than that of a team that loses "big" games and lets down its fanbase with regularity. Under Coach Brown, you couldn't tell if WVU was trying to be a running team, a passing team, a spread team, an Air Raid team, a pro-style team. It seemed like every week Coach Brown was trying to throw something at the wall, hoping it would stick. That method doesn't work. Develop a system and stick with it. Recruit to it. Make it the core of your program.

12. Don't cost WVU wins over Pitt twice in three years, like your predecessor did.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Any coach would have trouble winning at WVU from here on out. Even Saban.
Yeah and this is the loser mentality of some of the worst fans anybody can ask for. Why don't you just go root for Fairmont State and leave WVU alone? We don't need this kind of weakness. WVU ranks in the top 35 in the country in the nil. We are the winningest team to not win the big one. We used to be a perennial top 25 team. A good coach can win at wvu. I hope Neil Brown takes you with him when he gets fired. You should be fired from being a fan along with the other wimpy posers who believe this kind of crap. Take that loser attitude somewhere else

Couldn't agree more on the QB issue. I appreciate Greene and his heart, but don't want to rely on unconventional QB play or keep watching balls launched into nothingness. You can almost bet on when he's going to play action and go deep and also bet on the fact our opponents aren't nervous about it. (Granted there was a hold on one of them.). And wouldn't be surprised if the INTs were due to him not being able to see over the linemen. He's not a bad QB (and our center stinks) but he's not a big12 championship level QB.

We have a quarterback who's more of a running back but we try to use him as a drop back passer. It's just the way Neil Brown doesn't coach to his players strengths. Players like Garrett are useless in this system. I have no idea why he was even recruited here except for the fact that Neil Brown is a complete idiot.

We have a quarterback who's more of a running back but we try to use him as a drop back passer. It's just the way Neil Brown doesn't coach to his players strengths. Players like Garrett are useless in this system. I have no idea why he was even recruited here except for the fact that Neil Brown is a complete idiot.

I can't fathom why we don't try Nicco at all, I felt Brown was doubling down on stubbornness for literally no reason but ego during the his post game comments. Seasons shot for the most part, why not try him and see what happens.

Couldn't agree more on the QB issue. I appreciate Greene and his heart, but don't want to rely on unconventional QB play or keep watching balls launched into nothingness. You can almost bet on when he's going to play action and go deep and also bet on the fact our opponents aren't nervous about it. (Granted there was a hold on one of them.). And wouldn't be surprised if the INTs were due to him not being able to see over the linemen. He's not a bad QB (and our center stinks) but he's not a big12 championship level QB.
Our most successful era was with an unconvential QB, and his name was Pat White.

Dr. Mr. (fill in the blank with anybody other than Neal Brown):

Those who do not learn from mistakes are doomed to repeat them. So, please, do not repeat the blunders of Neal Brown and his overpaid and underperforming assistants. You are in a results-based business and the results of Coach Brown and his staff were embarassingly poor, which resulted in their dismissal. You are left to clean up Coach Brown's mess and return the Mountaineers to respectability. You will be given several years. Here are a few things that must be at the top of your immediate To-Do List:

1. Recruit a quarterback who is actually a threat to complete a pass.

2. No more midget quarterbacks.

3. Recruit some skill-position players who are quick-twitch athletes. WVU's best teams had quick-twitch guys, like Tavon Austin, Jock Sanders, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Amos Zereoue, etc. The teams under Coach Brown had no quick-twitch guys, which meant it was filled with guys who could not make tacklers miss and create something out of nothing, which meant no explosive plays.

4. When the son of a former WVU standout wants to play quarterback at WVU, and he's being recruited by other Power-5 programs, and is better than any quarterback you have on your roster, then offer him a scholarship and put him at the top of your recruiting board.

5. A dual-threat quarterback is always better than one-trick pony at QB.

6. Recruit -- please, please, please -- recruit size and strength. Make it a priority. WVU was laughed at by Big XII opponents for looking like a high school-sized team, not a Power-5 program. For years, our front 7 on defense was pushed around like ragdolls by Big XII teams that play grown-man football (Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma etc.) and the number of missed tackles, because our defensive players are too small and too weak -- that's the No. 1 cause of missed tackles -- was alarming. Our offensive line also failed to generate push when playing legitimate defenses, so recruit size on the OL. Remember, bigger is better.

7. Recruit a center who can make a shotgun snap without sailing it over the QB's head.

8. Do not go to the transfer portal for defensive backs from places like Duquesne, Charlotte and bad I-AA programs. The guys were at those schools because they do not have Power-5 skills. If you're going to get guys from the portal (which is a must at WVU), you get guys from Power-5 programs.

9. Hire assistant coaches who actually like -- OK, at least don't hate -- recruiting and are good at it.

10. Recruit a fullback. You can easily find a good one because most D-I teams don't utilize a fullback, so there are a bunch of good ones out there. Try putting the FB into the offense. You'd be amazed what a FB can do for your running game.

11. Don't be afraid to try something different on offense. I don't care if you want to run the triple option. At least then you would establish an identity. Coach Brown was here for six forgettable years and failed to establish an indentity for WVU football, other than that of a team that loses "big" games and lets down its fanbase with regularity. Under Coach Brown, you couldn't tell if WVU was trying to be a running team, a passing team, a spread team, an Air Raid team, a pro-style team. It seemed like every week Coach Brown was trying to throw something at the wall, hoping it would stick. That method doesn't work. Develop a system and stick with it. Recruit to it. Make it the core of your program.

12. Don't cost WVU wins over Pitt twice in three years, like your predecessor did.
Nobody else wanted Rocco Becht he only had one Power 4 offer. We recruited Nicco that year anyway.

Our most successful era was with an unconvential QB, and his name was Pat White.
You speak a lot of truth on your three posts. Many on here don't understand facts. Here is another fact. I recall years past when we had immobile QB's, some of these same haters were bellyaching wanting to play a dual threat qb and were even calling for Greene. Now he is a bum in their eyes.

Greene gives it his all. He has done more good than bad. He isn't perfect and he will not play in the pros but this fanbase expect nothing but every play to be a a 20 yard gain and a TD on every possession while the team goes 14-0 and playing in the NC game every single year. And if not, fire the coach and replace the players.

Yeah and this is the loser mentality of some of the worst fans anybody can ask for. Why don't you just go root for Fairmont State and leave WVU alone? We don't need this kind of weakness. WVU ranks in the top 35 in the country in the nil. We are the winningest team to not win the big one. We used to be a perennial top 25 team. A good coach can win at wvu. I hope Neil Brown takes you with him when he gets fired. You should be fired from being a fan along with the other wimpy posers who believe this kind of crap. Take that loser attitude somewhere else
The worst fans are those who complain about their coach and team and stop supporting the program.

You speak a lot of truth on your three posts. Many on here don't understand facts. Here is another fact. I recall years past when we had immobile QB's, some of these same haters were bellyaching wanting to play a dual threat qb and were even calling for Greene. Now he is a bum in their eyes.

Greene gives it his all. He has done more good than bad. He isn't perfect and he will not play in the pros but this fanbase expect nothing but every play to be a a 20 yard gain and a TD on every possession while the team goes 14-0 and playing in the NC game every single year. And if not, fire the coach and replace the players.
I think Pat White is the ideal type of QB for this program. Greene is a poor man's version of him, but his running ability has allowed us to win games and to stay in games that we would have probably lost in the last two seasons. Nothing against Becht, but he isn't what we are missing. I don't see our record being any different with him as QB. It might even be worse since it was Greene's running that kept us in the Kansas game.

Reactions: WVUBRU
I think Pat White is the ideal type of QB for this program. Greene is a poor man's version of him, but his running ability has allowed us to win games and to stay in games that we would have probably lost in the last two seasons. Nothing against Becht, but he isn't what we are missing. I don't see our record being any different with him as QB. It might even be worse since it was Greene's running that kept us in the Kansas game.
I find it is stupid in life to make an argument out of conjecture like many do in their rationalizations and arguments. I agree with you on your points about Greene and who knows with Becht but it isn't relevant as he isn't here and Brown was targeting a higher rated QB at the time. None of these bellyachers said at that time "why aren't we going after Anthony Becht's son instead of this 4 star out of Arizona?" But now, they make conjecture that Brown sucks since Becht is having success with ISU. I say good for Rocco Becht for becoming a quality QB in a program that fits him. There are no sour grapes from this WVU fan even though I would have rather won last night against him.

Being short doesn't mean he can't win. Trying to make him a pocket passer QB is not smart. Doug Flutie was a short QB.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
I don't know Pat White personally, but I attended and watched him enough to say "I knew Pat White and Garret Greene is no Pat White". I can also feel comfortable stating that "I saw Rich Rodriguez coach an unconventional offense and Neal Brown is no Rich Rodriguez."

I don't know Pat White personally, but I attended and watched him enough to say "I knew Pat White and Garret Greene is no Pat White". I can also feel comfortable stating that "I saw Rich Rodriguez coach an unconventional offense and Neal Brown is no Rich Rodriguez."

Pat White is the type of guy that only comes to WVU every 20-30 years. Greene may not be Pat White, but his attributes are similar. He is a poor man's version of him. It has been pointed out by another poster in this thread that when we had the more conventional pocket passer, we didn't get the results we desired from these QB's either. We have had more success with the unconvential QB's than with the conventional ones.

Pat White is the type of guy that only comes to WVU every 20-30 years. Greene may not be Pat White, but his attributes are similar. He is a poor man's version of him. It has been pointed out by another poster in this thread that when we had the more conventional pocket passer, we didn't get the results we desired from these QB's either. We have had more success with the unconvential QB's than with the conventional ones.
Most of them could hit open receivers by their 4th year. It's hard to run an unconventional offense if it's not your forte (our coaches) and you don't scare anyone with the threat of passing. They simply key on your QB and while he'll escape and make some plays, you have no shot at coming back from behind. Either this teams gets ahead big and early or it's over. I can't fathom defending the situation at this point, both our coach and QB have had years to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT