ADVERTISEMENT

America’s Gun Fantasy

But I wonder if you think that I feel a ban on assault weapons would end crime? No. Would it reduce it? I’m not certain, but if applied via a national level ban I think the effort could potentially reduce crime....but not substantially, no.

Then why infringe on the rights of millions?

Then why infringe on the rights of millions?
For me? Cause I don’t give a fig about assault weapons, and if it helps even a little then that’s a good thing. But it’s OUR democratic republic....and representative majority rules. There was a time that enough people actually thought banning alcohol would reduce crime. There’s no freedom of beer amendment. It passed. It failed. It’s was reversed. The system can work if we let it.

For me? Cause I don’t give a fig about assault weapons, and if it helps even a little then that’s a good thing. But it’s OUR democratic republic....and representative majority rules. There was a time that enough people actually thought banning alcohol would reduce crime. There’s no freedom of beer amendment. It passed. It failed. It’s was reversed. The system can work if we let it.

OK then boom. What you stated in this post then is the reason gun restrictions don't work either. You clarified it better than anyone on the Left who thinks they do work (gun restrictions).

Just substitute guns for booze and I think your friends on the Left will get it.

22196273_421632801566874_1002796175631455470_n.jpg

Reactions: atlkvb
This thread ended 3 pages ago. Mostly just hurling insults now, guys. This is not a discussion, but hurl away.

Lots to digest here boom, no chance at work today.

mass shootings where the killer literally seeks to inflict the maximum amount of damage. The arsenal at killers disposal in both cases in the problem, mass shootings simply highlight that problem.

So you're suggesting without the arsenal he or someone else couldn't do similar harm, there would be no other mass killings?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/10/03/mass-killers-use-other-weapons-besides-guns/73213860/

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/c...s-used-in-most-mass-shootings/article/2542118

Chicago: strongest gun control, worst crime statistics. Truth of it? That doesn’t matter, does it?

No apparently it doesn't boom! You can't argue both sides of this issue! Either the current restrictions you scoff at aren't strong enough and you advocate for more, or they are totally useless and you admit they're a failure. Which is it? You can't argue for their success in Chicago no matter which side you take.

Article:
Gun controls do not reduce overall crime:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0734016816670457

a fear of God doesn’t create morality, it just creates fear. Morality is cultivated over many years and requires empathy, understanding, education, the ability to listen, the ability to examine issues through critical thinking, love, passion, humility, and a lack of debilitating fear.

So alright boomer let's say we try your approach. What do we use as a basis to turn Evil doers away from their evil doings? We have all sorts of counseling, awareness, education, and prevention programs for everything from racial tolerance to Child abuse. Is any of it eliminated? Do kids aware of the dangers of drug use substantially change their use behavior? Teen pregnancy? Alcoholism? Obesity? All sorts of programs and education out there to prevent these things yet folks still willingly choose to do them. How do you change human behavior?

What restrictions? Assault weapons ban? What?

This list of restrictions:
http://www.metroseeker.com/chicago/gun-laws

I wonder if you think that I feel a ban on assault weapons would end crime? No. Would it reduce it? I’m not certain, but if applied via a national level ban I think the effort could potentially reduce crime....but not substantially, no.

Certainly no hard evidence it (gun bans) reduce crime. So why are we constantly hearing clarion calls from the Left for even more restrictions than are on the books? Wouldn't enforcement of current Laws, or training & arming more citizens in the safe legal use of firearms be a more rational and arguable plan to see if we can get these crime rates down? The bans are not working, or the current Laws aren't being enforced effectively. How can you not see this?

I personally, see reducing crime as an endeavor that needs substantial efforts in areas of education, rehabilitation, counseling, and support (both financial and emotional) for those in need.

OK again, so how do we change the behavior? Suppose some folks simply prefer criminal activity? How do we handle them? How would you? Hug them?

Gun control discussions, in the wake of Vegas, and crime reduction policy discussions, when looking at an area like Chicago should be approached from two completely different places, IMO. Unless the overall goal is to rid the nation of all weapons. I’m not for that goal, and I don’t think the majority of liberals or the Democratic Party are either.

I'm glad you said this about banning weapons because:
A) that will never happen
B) it will not end criminal behavior.

Most Leftists and Democrats aren't with you though. They want to see more restrictions on gun ownership.

Any rational discussion on this issue has to to start with the source. Criminal behavior and disrespect of the Law. We protect ourselves against lawlessness by being able to defend ourselves from the lawless. Since we cannot force moral behavior, we have to deal with immoral behavior when we face it.

Try your "therapy, counseling, emotional & financial support" theory with the Police boom. Ask them to lay down their weapons, go into the tough and gritty Chicago neighborhoods and discuss changing the criminal behavior of those Gang bangers through your community outreach proposals.

Better yet, go into those neighborhoods yourself unarmed, and try to appeal to their sense of decency.
If I'm not attending your Funeral after your efforts, write me and tell me how well your approach went over?

Better yet, post the video on You Tube of the Gang bangers voluntarily surrendering their weapons in exchange for rap sessions and work study programs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT