ADVERTISEMENT

America’s Gun Fantasy

If Democrats would stop shooting people gun violence in the US would be reduced by something like 90%. You need to get your teammates in line.

Did you drink your breakfast? it would seem so.

Don't like to have the spotlight on the truth of your teams failures? I get it, but your team is still orders of magnitude way more violent than the other team.

Reactions: Boomboom521
This is for you little shrub and anyone else it applies to...

Three percent of the nation owns half the firearms—to prepare for an ultraviolent showdown that exists only in their imagination.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...made-americans-fear-their-own-government.html
I guess I'm one of those people. My arsenal:

Winchester Model 12 12 gauge shotgun
Savage 20 gauge shotgun (my first gun given to me as a xmas present at age 12.
Ruger SR 556
High Standard .22 short target pistol made in 1939
Kel tec .32 Auto (the gun I occasionally carry since it fits in my pocket)
Smith & Wesson .38 Bodyguard (with laser sight which is pretty cool)

Of course I can't find the trigger on any of them since I'm a limp wristed liberal.

Reactions: countryroads89

Ruger SR 556

Of course I can't find the trigger on any of them since I'm a limp wristed liberal.

You might be able to find the trigger, but you wont have the courage use it if the situation arose. You have all the hallmarks of a coward.

Reactions: RichardPeterJohnson

Ruger SR 556

Don’t point that laser in your eyes.

Ruger SR 556

There's a difference between having a bunch of guns and ammo (I do too) and having fantasies about using them in some kind of armed insurrection, race war or whatever little shrub and his pals dream about...

There's a difference between having a bunch of guns and ammo (I do too) and having fantasies about using them in some kind of armed insurrection, race war or whatever little shrub and his pals dream about...
I didn’t read the article - too long and small font. Did it mention factual information to quantify the number of people that have this fantasy?

The real question is, do you dream about your could have been children or not?

The real question is, do you dream about your could have been children or not?
I realize that the abortion issue is fascinating to you and you love to talk about it. My views on the subject are irrelevant. It's never been an issue that I have been personally involved with.

I didn’t read the article - too long and small font. Did it mention factual information to quantify the number of people that have this fantasy?

Still, hunting isn’t pure fantasy: You shoot a pheasant or a deer, and you eat it. But over the past few decades, Americans have lost their taste for hunting. Only 15 percent of us now say we ever hunt, less than half as many as in the 1970s. In any given year, maybe a third of those hunters among us, 5 percent of Americans, actually slog through fields and forests with rifles and shotguns.

In fact, fewer of us now own any kind of gun for any reason—even as the number of guns has increased phenomenally. In the 1970s about half of Americans had a gun, and it was almost always just a gun, one on average. Today only about a quarter of Americans own guns—but the average owner has three or four. Fewer than 8 million people, only 3 percent of all American adults, own roughly half the guns. Members of that tiny minority of superenthusiasts own an average of 17 guns apiece. (These data come from NORC at the University of Chicago’s 2015
General Social Survey, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s 2011 survey, the Congressional Research Service, the Federal Reserve, research by Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck, and a survey conducted in 2015 by Harvard and Northeastern University researchers.)

Let me put a finer point on what I’m saying. Very, very few of the guns in America are used for hunting. Americans who own guns today keep arsenals in a way people did not 40 years ago. It seems plain to me that that’s because they—not all, but many—have given themselves over to fantasies.

The way I did as a child and still do when I shoot, they imagine they’re militiamen, pioneers, Wild West cowboys, soldiers, characters they’ve watched all their lives in movies and on TV, heroes and antiheroes played by Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson and the Rock, like Davy Crockett or Butch or Sundance or Rambo or Neo (or Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor). They’re like children playing with lightsabers, except they believe they’re prepared to fight off real-life aliens (from the Middle East, from Mexico) and storm troopers, and their state-of-the-art weapons actually wound and kill. Why did gangsters and wannabe gangsters start holding and firing their handguns sideways, parallel to the ground, even though that compromises their aim and control? Because it looks cool, and it began looking cool after filmmakers started directing actors to do it, originally in the ’60s, constantly by the ’90s. (It also made it easier to frame the gun and the actor’s face in the same tight shot.) Why are Americans buying semi-automatic AR-15s and rifles like it more than any other style, 1.5 million each year? Because holding and shooting one makes them feel cooler, more like commandos. For the same reason,
half the states now require no license for people to carry their guns openly in public places. It’s the same reason, really, that a third of the vehicles sold in America are pickups and four-wheel-drive Walter Mitty–mobiles, even though three-quarters of four-wheel-drive off-road vehicles never go off road. It’s even the reason blue jeans became the American uniform after the 1960s. We are actors in a 24/7 tableau vivant, schlubs playing the parts of heroic tough guys.

Still, hunting isn’t pure fantasy: You shoot a pheasant or a deer, and you eat it. But over the past few decades, Americans have lost their taste for hunting. Only 15 percent of us now say we ever hunt, less than half as many as in the 1970s. In any given year, maybe a third of those hunters among us, 5 percent of Americans, actually slog through fields and forests with rifles and shotguns.

In fact, fewer of us now own any kind of gun for any reason—even as the number of guns has increased phenomenally. In the 1970s about half of Americans had a gun, and it was almost always just a gun, one on average. Today only about a quarter of Americans own guns—but the average owner has three or four. Fewer than 8 million people, only 3 percent of all American adults, own roughly half the guns. Members of that tiny minority of superenthusiasts own an average of 17 guns apiece. (These data come from NORC at the University of Chicago’s 2015
General Social Survey, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s 2011 survey, the Congressional Research Service, the Federal Reserve, research by Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck, and a survey conducted in 2015 by Harvard and Northeastern University researchers.)

Let me put a finer point on what I’m saying. Very, very few of the guns in America are used for hunting. Americans who own guns today keep arsenals in a way people did not 40 years ago. It seems plain to me that that’s because they—not all, but many—have given themselves over to fantasies.

The way I did as a child and still do when I shoot, they imagine they’re militiamen, pioneers, Wild West cowboys, soldiers, characters they’ve watched all their lives in movies and on TV, heroes and antiheroes played by Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson and the Rock, like Davy Crockett or Butch or Sundance or Rambo or Neo (or Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor). They’re like children playing with lightsabers, except they believe they’re prepared to fight off real-life aliens (from the Middle East, from Mexico) and storm troopers, and their state-of-the-art weapons actually wound and kill. Why did gangsters and wannabe gangsters start holding and firing their handguns sideways, parallel to the ground, even though that compromises their aim and control? Because it looks cool, and it began looking cool after filmmakers started directing actors to do it, originally in the ’60s, constantly by the ’90s. (It also made it easier to frame the gun and the actor’s face in the same tight shot.) Why are Americans buying semi-automatic AR-15s and rifles like it more than any other style, 1.5 million each year? Because holding and shooting one makes them feel cooler, more like commandos. For the same reason,
half the states now require no license for people to carry their guns openly in public places. It’s the same reason, really, that a third of the vehicles sold in America are pickups and four-wheel-drive Walter Mitty–mobiles, even though three-quarters of four-wheel-drive off-road vehicles never go off road. It’s even the reason blue jeans became the American uniform after the 1960s. We are actors in a 24/7 tableau vivant, schlubs playing the parts of heroic tough guys.
So I skimmed through the quoted piece above and don't find any factual information on people buying guns to be ready for a government showdown. Seems to me the author might be the one with a fantasy...unless you have some other thing to share from the article.

So I skimmed through the quoted piece above and don't find any factual information on people buying guns to be ready for a government showdown. Seems to me the author might be the one with a fantasy...unless you have some other thing to share from the article.
It's an excerpt from a book and it's an opinion piece but people like Brushy Bill do exist even if Brushy is just trolling everyone. There are no stats for what you're seeking but I guess if someone started interviewing amateur militias you might start to get a number. When someone buys a gun, they don't fill out a form stating what they're going to do with it. There's no use in me giving you the Cliff Notes, read the article for yourself to see what the author is trying to convey. The posted subtitle in post one pretty much sums up his point.

Using statistics to validate an assumed and inaccurate assumption of why people purchase firearms.

Oh my........another "gun nut".

Oh my........another "gun nut".
Owning a bunch doesn't make you a gun nut. I'm my case I've probably only shot 3 of the 12-14 weapons that I own, I inherited most from my dad. Most of my ammo has "Hecks" price tags. I haven't sighted a gun in in decades. I gun buck hunt a couple of days a year and haven't killed a buck in many years mostly because I don't have a real good place to hunt though there's a buck who has been polishing his antlers lately on the small trees in my yard that I planted and if I see him in gun season he's toast. I'm also in favor of gun control legislation. I have no problem with a ban on assault style weapons and I have no interest in hashing it all out with anyone because the topic doesn't interest me enough. I support banning the stock contraption that the Vegas shooter used. I support background checks and eliminating gun show sales loopholes and similar. Just another reason for term limits so that legislators wouldn't be so afraid of the NRA if their term was ending anyways.

Ruger SR 556

You don't fire those weapons Dude, you use a pea shooter.

Ruger SR 556

Finally RPJ tells the truth!

They now have the ability to read minds and predetermine who has terrorist fantasies. Just schedule a conservative speaker at an event and see who shows up to stop him from speaking...

Owning a bunch doesn't make you a gun nut. I'm my case I've probably only shot 3 of the 12-14 weapons that I own, I inherited most from my dad. Most of my ammo has "Hecks" price tags. I haven't sighted a gun in in decades. I gun buck hunt a couple of days a year and haven't killed a buck in many years mostly because I don't have a real good place to hunt though there's a buck who has been polishing his antlers lately on the small trees in my yard that I planted and if I see him in gun season he's toast. I'm also in favor of gun control legislation. I have no problem with a ban on assault style weapons and I have no interest in hashing it all out with anyone because the topic doesn't interest me enough. I support banning the stock contraption that the Vegas shooter used. I support background checks and eliminating gun show sales loopholes and similar. Just another reason for term limits so that legislators wouldn't be so afraid of the NRA if their term was ending anyways.
I was just ragging on you. I never had a gun in the house until a few years ago when my wife insisted we take several from her fathers collection when he passed away. I took two Ruger revolvers, a 357 magnum and a 22 single 6. Also took a 12 gauge shotgun and a 22 rifle as well as plenty of ammo for both. Have yet to fire any of them.

I realize that the abortion issue is fascinating to you and you love to talk about it. My views on the subject are irrelevant. It's never been an issue that I have been personally involved with.

This is an 'eternity' issue. You kinda want to get it right.

lol oh please, you wouldn't know the truth if it was in your bunker with you. I'd rummage the archives for you if I had the time and/or interest...perhaps another day militia boy.

Let me translate, I'm gonna keep lying without providing proof.

No shit, liar.

I was hoping this thread was going a different way.

celebs_with_guns_g6.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT