ADVERTISEMENT

ACC a better fit than Big 12?

I'd see UVA as a better option than Duke. I get UNC and Duke staying together but man that Duke football program is downright pathetic. I went to a legit ACC Duke game and the crowd was less than 20,000. It looked like a South Florida game I attended one year.
I don't know if the really cares. They added RU which may have had 3 good years in 50, and Maryland who has not been relevant since 2007.

You are a legitmate moron! Nothing you said was accurate and a Network will be announced very soon. Just sit back and enjoy moron! Oh.......when the announcement of the ACC Network is anounced soon I'll be thinking of you crap for brains.

You are an idiot and have nothing to back up what you claim. Enough with baseless words from you jack@$$--prove I am wrong about anything I stated- you can't. I'll be waiting.

Once again you prove what all other posters on this board know, which is your an idiot. I posted links (post BIG12 meeting) that quoted Boren's exact posistion after seeing the new evidence. You are too stupid to understand Boren's position had changed once he was given ALL the new facts, facts which the BIG12 paid for I might add. He read the reports, and realize the network and G5 expansion was not worth the effort because the market was not there to support it. Hell you wouldn't believe it, if Boren came to your house with the data that backs his new position. Why? because you are incapable of thinking out side your Agenda and Tiny Little Box.

Stop being such a dumb ass and show me One link after May 31st 2016, where Boren position matches yours and not mine.

Idiot, not once has Boren stated what you claim he did. He said no expansion candidates have value according to consultants? He said Texas could not be made whole if the BIg 12 created a network? The fact is you haven't posted $hit! About anything you claim he said, as usual you just dreamed it up and si ce you can't argue any of the points I clearly made now you once again try to attack me.

Get out of your mom as basement and learn comprehension skills.

It doesn't get any clearer than "our media consultants still tend to think, as I (Boren) said, were leaving $4-$6 million per school on the table, even now, even with the circumstances"-- the circumstances being the change in subscribers.

Stop making bs up and pretending you know anything about anything loser.

Idiot, not once has Boren stated what you claim he did. He said no expansion candidates have value according to consultants? He said Texas could not be made whole if the BIg 12 created a network? The fact is you haven't posted $hit! About anything you claim he said, as usual you just dreamed it up and si ce you can't argue any of the points I clearly made now you once again try to attack me.

Get out of your mom as basement and learn comprehension skills.

It doesn't get any clearer than "our media consultants still tend to think, as I (Boren) said, were leaving $4-$6 million per school on the table, even now, even with the circumstances"-- the circumstances being the change in subscribers.

Stop making bs up and pretending you know anything about anything loser.
You are so freaking stupid. After the meeting with more facts Boren said the following

“I would say the marketplace has taken the Big 12 Network, in the traditional sense, off the marketplace. That would be true for the SEC or the Big Ten or anybody else coming up for the first time trying to create a network at this particular time,” Boren said. “There's no reason for us to quarrel with anybody over whether their network is going to continue or not when there is no possibility for a marketplace for creating a traditional Big 12 Network.”​

The above comment supports my claim. He clearly states the marketplace, not Texas has stopped a traditional BIG12 Network and that the money isn't there.

You still have failed not once or twice, but three times in answer my simple request to provide one comment after Boren and the BIG12 recieved the new data to support your claim.

Why is that Bucko? Why is that Bucko? Why is that Bucko? Why is that Bucko?
BECAUSE YOU CAN'T. You have to keep going back to old outdated quotes that are no longer true

You are so freaking stupid. After the meeting with more facts Boren said the following

“I would say the marketplace has taken the Big 12 Network, in the traditional sense, off the marketplace. That would be true for the SEC or the Big Ten or anybody else coming up for the first time trying to create a network at this particular time,” Boren said. “There's no reason for us to quarrel with anybody over whether their network is going to continue or not when there is no possibility for a marketplace for creating a traditional Big 12 Network.”​

The above comment supports my claim. He clearly states the marketplace, not Texas has stopped a traditional BIG12 Network and that the money isn't there.

You still have failed not once or twice, but three times in answer my simple request to provide one comment after Boren and the BIG12 recieved the new data to support your claim.

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T. You have to keep going back to old outdated quotes that are no longer true

Boren knows that there is little interest in Oklahoma of going to the PAC12, he knows that Oklahoma is pretty far down on the list of Big10 likely invites for their next two slots, he knows that OU is in competition with schools in far more populous states for the next two slots in the SEC. He knows that his state legislature does not want him to leave OK State behind, but Boren knows that he must. No other conference wants two schools from a state as sparsely populated as Oklahoma. He needs to get rid of OK State in his future negotiations with the SEC. If he is going to be going up against VT or NC State for the next two slots in the SEC, the last thing he needs is OK State hanging around his neck. He has known privately all along that Texas was never going to give up the LHN and he knew all along that his vague reference to unnamed media consultants who said that Texas could be made whole and that the other Big12 members would make up to 6 million dollars by adding G5 schools was just a throwaway statement. It never had to be true because Boren could always say, well that is what I had hoped and I tried my best to look out for the interests of OK State and the rest of the Big12. All political maneuvers for political cover by a politician. He is as free of obligations to OSU and the rest of the Big12 as he is ever going to be. The Big12 is likely still looking at expansion if for no other reason than to line up the best replacement they can find for Oklahoma. The same Oklahoma who along with Nebraska, Texas A&M and Texas opposed the first proposal for a Big12 Network long, long ago. Boren has lead the charge for discontent and further conflict in the Big12 under the banner of "trying to do good" for the conference when he is really focused on doing the best he can for OU. That is his job and he is as slick a politician as anyone. Oklahoma wants to be gone and really wants one of the last two slots in the SEC. They want to blame Texas for it as an added little kicker.

Happy 4th

sexy-women-of-independence-day-fourth-of-july-america-61.jpg

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Boren knows that there is little interest in Oklahoma of going to the PAC12, he knows that Oklahoma is pretty far down on the list of Big10 likely invites for their next two slots, he knows that OU is in competition with schools in far more populous states for the next two slots in the SEC. He knows that his state legislature does not want him to leave OK State behind, but Boren knows that he must. No other conference wants two schools from a state as sparsely populated as Oklahoma. He needs to get rid of OK State in his future negotiations with the SEC. If he is going to be going up against VT or NC State for the next two slots in the SEC, the last thing he needs is OK State hanging around his neck. He has known privately all along that Texas was never going to give up the LHN and he knew all along that his vague reference to unnamed media consultants who said that Texas could be made whole and that the other Big12 members would make up to 6 million dollars by adding G5 schools was just a throwaway statement. It never had to be true because Boren could always say, well that is what I had hoped and I tried my best to look out for the interests of OK State and the rest of the Big12. All political maneuvers for political cover by a politician. He is as free of obligations to OSU and the rest of the Big12 as he is ever going to be. The Big12 is likely still looking at expansion if for no other reason than to line up the best replacement they can find for Oklahoma. The same Oklahoma who along with Nebraska, Texas A&M and Texas opposed the first proposal for a Big12 Network long, long ago. Boren has lead the charge for discontent and further conflict in the Big12 under the banner of "trying to do good" for the conference when he is really focused on doing the best he can for OU. That is his job and he is as slick a politician as anyone. Oklahoma wants to be gone and really wants one of the last two slots in the SEC. They want to blame Texas for it as an added little kicker.

Spot on, the good thing with 10 team CCG, and the research about a traditional network, the BIG12 can take its time before making a decision.

The BIG12 asked the two research companies for more informmation. You can bet that part of that research will including starting some type of non-traditional steaming with a company like Amazon, Netflix or other.

Spot on, the good thing with 10 team CCG, and the research about a traditional network, the BIG12 can take its time before making a decision.

The BIG12 asked the two research companies for more informmation. You can bet that part of that research will including starting some type of non-traditional steaming with a company like Amazon, Netflix or other.

Companies such as IMG could produce a quality HD broadcast for streaming video for a reasonable fee from the viewer, ads, or both. Those who could afford to pay a higher fee would receive the game without ads. This could ideally be done conference wide, but individual teams could add to their third tier income otherwise.

I don't know if the really cares. They added RU which may have had 3 good years in 50, and Maryland who has not been relevant since 2007.

At least Big could argue TV and population on those moves. Duke's hoop brand is second to none but is it worth passing along $50-$75 million per year?

You are an idiot and have nothing to back up what you claim. Enough with baseless words from you jack@$$--prove I am wrong about anything I stated- you can't. I'll be waiting.

Let's jump back on this after the Network is announced. Don't be so emotional Buck!!! This is a message board and no one has ultimate facts. I read two blogs that predicted ESPN didn't want to pay the ACC $45,000,000 if they didn't commit a Network to the ACC on July 1st. So I'm playing the odds ESPN committed to the ACC last week and it will be announced soon. It will be worth at least $6-$8 million per team. Not Big or SEC money but a commitment that puts the conference on firm ground. Let's take the hostility down a level. Not worth it.

Let's jump back on this after the Network is announced. Don't be so emotional Buck!!! This is a message board and no one has ultimate facts. I read two blogs that predicted ESPN didn't want to pay the ACC $45,000,000 if they didn't commit a Network to the ACC on July 1st. So I'm playing the odds ESPN committed to the ACC last week and it will be announced soon. It will be worth at least $6-$8 million per team. Not Big or SEC money but a commitment that puts the conference on firm ground. Let's take the hostility down a level. Not worth it.
That 45 mill will be the only reason ACC network gets off the gound. I bet a few people are getting their ass chewed out for allowing that in the contract. However, and we will see in time, but I think your 6-8 million is way overstated. I also believe that a network that gets created, will not be a traditional network like SEC, B1G, and PAC, but some type of streaminng option of an Apple, Roku or other type device.

That 45 mill will be the only reason ACC network gets off the gound. I bet a few people are getting their ass chewed out for allowing that in the contract. However, and we will see in time, but I think your 6-8 million is way overstated. I also believe that a network that gets created, will not be a traditional network like SEC, B1G, and PAC, but some type of streaminng option of an Apple, Roku or other type device.

You may be right but according to Buck I'm an idiot for believing that your first two sentence are correct.

I still think four power conference are in the future. I think the transition will be more collaborative and regional.
Agree. I've said for a long time that four 16-team conferences with the 8 division winners forming the national playoffs is the wave of the future. I will happen. Just a matter of time. 4 spots for 5 power conferences just doesn't work. Bad math. Somebody is guaranteed to be pissed off. And with power.

Agree. I've said for a long time that four 16-team conferences with the 8 division winners forming the national playoffs is the wave of the future. I will happen. Just a matter of time. 4 spots for 5 power conferences just doesn't work. Bad math. Somebody is guaranteed to be pissed off. And with power.
I still think a 6 or 8 team playoff is the answer. Too many schools who have invested millions are being left out. Too many schools like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Illinois, Northwestern, Boston College, Duke, Rutgers... get a free pass with no particular pedigree other than being grandfathered in.

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun
There were children crying and colors flying
All around the chosen ones
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun
Flyin' mother nature's silver seed
To a new home in the sun
To a new home in the sun

Classic! You go nuclear emotional and hostile in every post towards me and then tell ME not to be "so emotional".

Perhaps you need to remember its a message board and that YOU don't rule the messages of others first.

Two ACC blogs talking about $45,000,000 that someone in the ACC says exists, but no one else does including ESPN does not make an ACC network a reality. It also doesn't make some $45,000,000 payment to the ACC for nothing a reality.

The only thing the ACC possibly had coming in their fifth year is a look in to their current tv contract. Perhaps we'll hear from Swofford about that this summer. A look in isn't a guarantee of additional revenues, and certainly not $45,000,000 for nothing--or a network.

It will be interesting to see--now that the tv networks have given the Big Ten a large revenue increase--if conferences such as the BIG 12, and ACC are able to get contract increases through their look-ins now that the market has been reset.

I still think a 6 or 8 team playoff is the answer. Too many schools who have invested millions are being left out. Too many schools like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Illinois, Northwestern, Boston College, Duke, Rutgers... get a free pass with no particular pedigree other than being grandfathered in.

Great idea! Of course you have to convince the tv network, college football playoff organization, SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC and BIG 12 its a good idea which will be a very tall task since few if any of the leaders of these groups by their words think that is a good idea and the contract that goes through 2026 has no provisions for reopening.

The problem with that idea is 4 16 team conferences is 64 teams.

Big Ten 14 teams
SEC 14 teams
ACC 14 teams
Pac 12 12 teams
BIG 12 10 teams
Notre Dame

That is 65 teams. Who gets left out?

If OU wanted to leave for the Big Ten or Pac 12 its naive to think those conferences will not accept OU.
OU is one of the premiere athletics programs in the college world. One of the largest brands in all of college football history.

Where is the evidence of this "list" of "likely invites" or "slots" for the Big Ten? LINK?

Link to no other conference wanting two schools from Oklahoma? Didn't the Pac 12 try to add two schools from Oklahoma around 2011-2012 in fact?

Oklahoma "up against" VT or NC State? LOL!!!!! There isn't a conference that would turn down Oklahoma for VT or NC State--except maybe the ACC.

LINK to Boren "always knowing secretly" that Texas would never give up the LHN?

Oklahoma from Boren's own words said he has been trying to get a conference network for at least 5 or 6 years. He's lying about that in your mind too? So let's see--he lied about candidates. Lied about needing expansion, a network, and a CCG;Lied about the conference network; Lied about the LHN, Lied about wanting these things for the betterment of the conference; and you say all these things and claim more without ONE LINK to support any of these skygusty agenda items? And the same posters that bash me regularly for posting factual LINKS throw praise at you for making things up in your head. Typical.

Boren laid it all out on the table, helped bring in information to the conference to make educated intelligent decisions. The conference chose to bow to Texas' wishes which are to do nothing that will alter options in 2025 for UT--but its Boren's fault and Oklahoma's fault. All with NOT ONE LINK to support any of it. And anyone that sways from this Texcentric line of thought will be bashed. Got it.

Last edited:
The problem with that idea is 4 16 team conferences is 64 teams.

Big Ten 14 teams
SEC 14 teams
ACC 14 teams
Pac 12 12 teams
BIG 12 10 teams
Notre Dame

That is 65 teams. Who gets left out?

That depends on which conference falls. I can promise the following are programs that won’t be left out

Any current SEC, or BIG school
· ND (although they are not in a football conference and are still part of the equation)
· OU,
· TexA$$,
· FSU,
· Cryami
· Clemson,
· VT,
· UVA,
· GT,
· UNC,
· probably Dork.

If the BIG12 is the conference that fails, it could very well come down to WVU or ISU

If the ACC is the conference that fails, it could be sPitt, UofL, BC, Cuse, NC State, Wake.

If OU wanted to leave for the Big Ten or Pac 12 its naive to think those conferences will not accept OU.
OU is one of the premiere athletics programs in the college world. One of the largest brands in all of college football history.

Where is the evidence of this "list" of "likely invites" or "slots" for the Big Ten? LINK?

Link to no other conference wanting two schools from Oklahoma? Didn't the Pac 12 try to add two schools from Oklahoma around 2011-2012 in fact?

Oklahoma "up against" VT or NC State? LOL!!!!! There isn't a conference that would turn down Oklahoma for VT or NC State--except maybe the ACC.

LINK to Boren "always knowing secretly" that Texas would never give up the LHN?

Oklahoma from Boren's own words said he has been trying to get a conference network for at least 5 or 6 years. He's lying about that in your mind too? So let's see--he lied about candidates. Lied about needing expansion, a network, and a CCG;Lied about the conference network; Lied about the LHN, Lied about wanting these things for the betterment of the conference; and you say all these things and claim more without ONE LINK to support any of these skygusty agenda items? And the same posters that bash me regularly for posting factual LINKS throw praise at you for making things up in your head. Typical.

Boren laid it all out on the table, helped bring in information to the conference to make educated intelligent decisions. The conference chose to bow to Texas' wishes which are to do nothing that will alter options in 2025 for UT--but its Boren's fault and Oklahoma's fault. All with NOT ONE LINK to support any of it. And anyone that sways from this Texcentric line of thought will be bashed. Got it.
All of Boren's comments you quoted was based on information before he got additional facts end of May. Now he is not saying any of that.

The ACC hasn't declared anything about a "marketplace" You keep declaring "marketplace"--post a link--have been waiting and you refuse to do this.

Boren-when declaring no network said this:

excerpt:
“I'd just say the marketplace has changed,” Boren said of the conference network idea. “It's a moot issue now. The marketplace simply isn't interested in a traditional network. I can be for it or against it, but the important thing is, is there a market for it? Is there a willing partner right now for a network for anybody?”
http://newsok.com/article/5502121

In this statement Boren revealed nothing about anyone saying the BIG 12 couldn't have any sort of network, that Texas couldn't be made whole, that expansion candidates wouldn't make the network possible, or any other such bunk. Why is it that you continue to claim that is what was said fool?

Secondly, he ASKED THE QUESTION--"
Is there a willing partner right now for a network for anybody?”

AGAIN, we will find out the answer to that question from the ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE.

You've failed to answer repeatedly what it means if the ACC gets a network. Now why is that? What exactly are you afraid of in answering that question?
You keep making unlinked, unsubstantiated CLAIMS--baseless claims that a network is no longer possible--BUT YOU PROVIDE NO LINKS. Again and again I've asked, and still not one shred of evidence that anyone from any network has decried that "the marketplace" will not allow any network to go forth. The BIG 12--and specifically Boren himself has said SINCE that they may still be looking at some digital/streaming technologies for the future. How can this be, if there is NO MARKET?

I know as usual you will just toss out some tired baseless opinions with nothing to support your assertions mixed in with personal attack because you CANT ANSWER THE QUESTIONS PUT BEFORE YOU.http://newsok.com/article/5502121

All of Boren's comments you quoted was based on information before he got additional facts end of May. Now he is not saying any of that.

All information was information Boren collected and has now. He hasn't said any of that information was wrong has he? He has said he can think what he wants but it doesn't matter now--yet he still says the conference is looking at future technology distributions since the narrow time period you are so focused on.

That depends on which conference falls. I can promise the following are programs that won’t be left out

Any current SEC, or BIG school
· ND (although they are not in a football conference and are still part of the equation)
· OU,
· TexA$$,
· FSU,
· Cryami
· Clemson,
· VT,
· UVA,
· GT,
· UNC,
· probably Dork.

If the BIG12 is the conference that fails, it could very well come down to WVU or ISU

If the ACC is the conference that fails, it could be sPitt, UofL, BC, Cuse, NC State, Wake.

You can't promise ANYTHING. You aren't associated with major college athletics. No one that is is trying to create 4 16 team conferences.

The BIG 12 leaves itself vulnerable with no means to close the financial gap that will soon be evident, and the continued playoff disadvantage will will hurt the conference in making the playoff.
The BIG 12s contracts run out long before the ACCs--and two conferences that have poached the BIG 12 (one of which requires BIG 12 product to prosper in the future) have contract renewals just as the BIG 12 must try to renegotiate--a renegotiation that will likely feature flat tv ratings, flat fan support, years of negative press, high likelihood of multiple misses of playoffs, no new markets, inventory or footprint.

Conclusions from what I have read from links posted and interviews I have found on my own. There is still a possibility of the Big 12 expanding and an announcement this month. There will be a meeting this month and criteria for expansion has changed since a conference network is out of the picture.

Personally, I think conference networks will slowly collapse as cable companies go out of business. Streaming video and pay per view on satellite providers is the future. If the SEC and B1G network executives are smart, they will begin the transition now if contracts allow to avoid a reduction in future payouts.

What has to happen now is for the consultant to determine from ESPN and Fox if there are any available teams that would trigger a renegotiation of the broadcast contract, not simply a pro quo increase. Regardless of opinions, by any logical measurement BYU, Houston, and maybe Cincinnati are power 5 teams not in a power 5 conference. BYU would have the third largest stadium in the conference. They could go elsewhere for Olympic sport affiliations and basketball schedules can be worked out.

If the broadcasters respond with, "If you get team X and Y or even only team X, we will renegotiate your current contract provided you extend the GOR another five years" expansion will be the result. That is the ultimate deciding factor now, because that brings in more money for everyone along with the temporary bonus to existing teams as the new one(s) phase in on payouts. Otherwise expansion is a dead issue for now.

These are conclusions and opinions I have read elsewhere that I agree with. I'm not looking up the links because it would only be to someone else's predictions and opinions. Besides, most of you ignore them anyway.

If you disagree, that's fine. Everything on here is conjecture and speculation anyway. Some make more sense than others, but that doesn't make them more accurate.

Extension of the grant of rights should be a focus now--especially for everyone in the conference not named Texas or OU. If that were to happen then intentions are clear. If on the other hand that isn't done? Intentions aren't certain, but we know the direction people are leaning.

Classic! You go nuclear emotional and hostile in every post towards me and then tell ME not to be "so emotional".

Perhaps you need to remember its a message board and that YOU don't rule the messages of others first.

Two ACC blogs talking about $45,000,000 that someone in the ACC says exists, but no one else does including ESPN does not make an ACC network a reality. It also doesn't make some $45,000,000 payment to the ACC for nothing a reality.

The only thing the ACC possibly had coming in their fifth year is a look in to their current tv contract. Perhaps we'll hear from Swofford about that this summer. A look in isn't a guarantee of additional revenues, and certainly not $45,000,000 for nothing--or a network.

It will be interesting to see--now that the tv networks have given the Big Ten a large revenue increase--if conferences such as the BIG 12, and ACC are able to get contract increases through their look-ins now that the market has been reset.

Gave you a chance but hey whatever dickhead. I didn't go nuclear. The $45,000,000 is a factual contractual obligation to he ACC. You don't know crap about crap. The entire site calls you out as a trolling nimrod so you are par for the course.

Gave you a chance but hey whatever dickhead. I didn't go nuclear. The $45,000,000 is a factual contractual obligation to he ACC. You don't know crap about crap. The entire site calls you out as a trolling nimrod so you are par for the course.

Your statements illustrate clearly what YOU are.

As to your bogus claims about $45,000,000 to the ACC from ESPN for NOTHING in exchange--prove it.

Your statements illustrate clearly what YOU are.

As to your bogus claims about $45,000,000 to the ACC from ESPN for NOTHING in exchange--prove it.

Let time do its thing dickhead then we can circle back to this. Before Labor Day.

B: i see the problem. I am using current Neilsen numbers, and you are using numbers from prior to Maryland exiting the ACC which also included the state of Maryland and DC. Maryland is in the Big Ten. Pay tv has lost numbers since then. Lots of them. So has tv in general. As of January 2016 there were 37,861,070total tv households in ACC states. I am not going through and calculating all the satellite tvs subscribers in ACC "states". The numbers are lower than what you've reported as with everything else. The Pac hasn't been able to get deals with some satellite providers and with similar fan interest its doubtful the ACC would do much better there--in other words they would not strike deals with some of the major carriers.

You may want to keep up.

No, those numbers aren't prior to Maryland exiting. You can clearly see that Maryland is not included in the ACC graphic, but is rather included in the Big Ten graphic (along with New Jersey).

Satellite homes are potential subscribers. The SEC, Big Ten, LHN, and Pac 12 all have satellite subscribers. You simply aren't giving an accurate number unless you include satellite homes.

B: No one said the SEC has 100% subscriptions in every state--but their core states are solid for them and they get more than $1.00 per subscriber in those home states as well. Highly unlikely for the ACC to accomplish. NYC is hardly signing up for an ACC network because a small private school hrs. away in upstate NY is a member of the ACC. Philadelphia? There's no ACC school anywhere near Philadelphia and they aren't supporting Pittsburgh. The numbers you pretend exist are WAAY high.

No, the numbers aren't high. We just established that you aren't counting satellite subscribers, so you numbers are the ones that aren't accurate. As I showed you previously, the ACC could get only 25% subscriptions in markets like New York, and still make a decent amount.

B: I'm saying what the ACC is likely to get compared to the BTN or SECN is minimal--the numbers you want to claim are in the ACC fold are overstated and misleading.

No, they aren't overstated. Again, I only figured for 25% subscriptions in my New York example. Only figuring for 1/4 of the market is not overstating, by any means.

B: The SEC announced a network was happening prior to a year out, negotiated for rights back prior to a year out from launch, expanded for content prior to a year out. Your spin just paints you as dishonest or worse. The ACC hasn't announced a network is coming in 2016 or 17, they've continually changed the timeframe for a network as it hasn't materialized and have talked about it for years. Stop pretending the ACC is on the verge of a network and its always been planned that way. No one is in process of buying back rights or inventory at this point in time and no network is definitive--whereas in the SEC it was by this point in time.

Sorry, I'm not the one spinning. The SEC and ESPN actually started actual negotiations for a network in 2012. They finished the negotiations around September/October 2012. Then they renegotiated for the rights in 2013. Then the network launched in 2014. So no, you aren't correct. They actually signed the agreement for the network in 2012. That's just the agreement with ESPN. Then they repurchased the rights in 2013. Then they launched the network in 2014.

B: Initially the ACC announced a network being investigated prior to 2010 when it signed the tv deal prior to the current one

excerpt:
Commissioner John Swofford said the league did its "due diligence" by researching the issue, but said the ACC opted to avoid the upfront startup costs and the financial risk in favor of utilizing ESPN's in-place broadcast and multimedia outlets.
so please, stop with the "2017 was always the launch date" b.s. The ACC has discussed a network on and off for years.
And if the ACC were going to be buying back rights they would be negotiating now for those rights. That isn't happening now.

The SEC "investigated" a network all the way back in 2008. They didn't actually start working on it until 2012.

B: You don't just buy back rights because you want to, they must be negotiated for first, and there's no mandate that they are bought back one year before launch of a network. That is pure b.s. from you trying to excuse the lack of any real movement and you know it.

Correct. You don't buy back rights until you actually have a deal in place for a network. The ACC doesn't have a deal in place for a network, hence the reason no rights have yet been repurchased.

Discussion and launch date aren't the same thing. Post something that says the ACC was going to launch a network prior to 2016-2017

B: ESPN gets subscription fees--you said just above they get $0 now, but would from the ACC. Everyone can read what you wrote. Part of the reason ESPN gets a subscriber rate is because of the content on their networks. Owning and showing ACC content is a part of that. The point is ESPN already bought the ACCs rights. They aren't paying for them a second time.

Here's what I said:

ESPN doesn't get ANY subscription fees now. That's what you don't get. They get zero now, so anything they get with a network would be 100% more than they get now. The only money ESPN gets now from its ACC programming is what it gets by selling advertising during ACC games (plus the Raycom syndication).

I was not taking about ESPN in general, but what the get from ACC programming. Of course, I'm not surprised you couldn't figure that out.

ESPN wouldn't be paying for the rights for a second time. Again, by that logic, ESPN is paying for the SEC rights for a second time.

B: Your lack of understanding is the problem. AGAIN
I. ESPN bought ACC rights-meaning they own all rights--paid for
II. ESPN monetizes those rights by putting ACC content-all of that which they own on ESPN platforms

If they then create a new platform ESPN gets that money and has 0 incentive to give any of that revenue to the ACC.
Why? BECAUSE THEY ALREADY PAID THE ACC FOR IT ONCE--again they aren't paying the ACC twice for the same product.

No, they aren't paying for the same product. ESPN can't start a network called "ACC Network" without compensating the ACC. There is more to it than just the rights to the games themselves. The ACC has the rights to its name, etc., ESPN needs more than just the broadcast rights to the games themselves to start a network.

B: Here's what you don't get. The subscription revenue SEC schools get is for NEW inventory that was not previously part of the inventory the SEC could offer ESPN. They added 40 plus football games and numerous basketball and olympic sports to their available inventory which allowed ESPN to continue putting on a certain amount of SEC product with no reduction, while also putting the new surplus on the SEC network.

Let's do it more graphically for the comprehensively challenged:

pre SEC network
Group A content:--SEC had the inventory of 12 teams minus tier 3 rights from each school

in order to create an SEC network the SEC added:
Group B content
--Two schools worth of inventory via expansion
--inventory from each existing schools tier 3 rights which were bought back

Combining Groups A and B allow the SEC to both have content on ESPN and CBS and now an SECN

No, that's simply incorrect. The subscription revenue is not for the rights to the games. The subscription revenue is not based on content, or the amount of. The Big Ten didn't get more money from BTN for inventory when they added Rutgers and Maryland. That's because subscription fees aren't for rights.

B: I am not going wrong. After expansion the exact amount of the SECs tv deals have not been announced. You are confusing their "average" payout increase as their new contract numbers. With an average the number starts low, hits an average point and grows over time. They aren't getting $25 million per year from ESPN, they are getting an entire conference payout from two tv deals, conference playoff payout, NCAAs, an SEC CCG and other things in that number and then an additional amount from the SECN of around $5 million per school.

Nope, not correct. I clearly said the payouts were averages. The $25 million is just for the TV contract. It's not for CFP, NCAA, or anything like that.
The old TV contract paid out $20 million per team. That's just for TV, not for anything else. The new contract pays out $25 million just for TV, and then the SEC gets an additional payout from the SEC.

That said, your own explanation proves you wrong. By your logic, ESPN would be paying twice for the rights they already had under contract, because they are paying the SEC for the rights they already had under the previous contract, and then they are paying for rights again through the SECN. They wouldn't increase the regular contract if the SECN subscription fees were for the new content.

B: NO. Here is how it would work. If the ACC can reacquire rights from Raycom and FOX then they would have the inventory to have a network (without ND football or hockey). From there if they got a network they would get subscription fees while ESPN kept putting the same numbers on their current platforms as is contracted through 2027.

I already said that. It doesn't address the other point I raised.

B: We don't know if the SEC got a contract boost--it hasn't been announced. CBS did not increase the contract on their side and ESPN doesn't appear to have by much. However they also added TWO SCHOOLS. The ACC hasn't expanded so has the same inventory. As I stated and you denied multiple times until now, they would have to get back Raycom and FOX inventory to create the network or its a moot point.

You aren't being honest when you leave out the specifics of the CBS contract. CBS gets one game of the week (starting in Week 4), two flex games, and the CCG. Point being, CBS has a fixed inventory. Adding teams to the SEC doesn't give CBS any more inventory. That's why they didn't give an increase. ESPN did get an increase, which is why their contract went up.

B: Incorrect. In 2016 there are only 100 million pay tv homes which means the SEC is in 69% of those homes. You need to get your numbers straight before challenging others. The problem for the ACC is not that they couldn't make money if they could get a network--its how much--how close can they get to Big Ten, SEC and BIG 12 numbers? Because money drives realignment and currently the ACC is at the bottom of rights fees per school. If other conferences are $15 or $20 million or more ahead by 2027 or close to it--look out.

You said total households, which is what I posted.

Incorrect. The ACC's problem isn't the SEC or Big Ten. Everybody is behind them. They just need to get ahead of the other two conferences. That's not difficult to do with a network.

Last edited:
Well, I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun
There were children crying and colors flying
All around the chosen ones
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun
To a new home in the sun
To a new home in the sun

Sing it, Neil!!!!

Sounds like the list of expansion candidates has been whittled down to BYU, Houston and Cincy. If BYU was a football only member, the Sunday schedules would be a non issue, and ND has already provided a precedent in both the Big East and the ACC for limited participation membership. http://www.frogsowar.com/2016/6/6/11860950/big-12-expansion-its-down-to-byu-houston-and-cincinnati.

Bowlsby just today indicated that expansion is still very much alive but that he does not see it dragging out past this summer. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...12-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/86717604/

While this is interesting to watch, I don't see anything that will indicate what Texas and Oklahoma truly want until the GOR comes up for renewal.

Last edited:
Sounds like the list of expansion candidates has been whittled down to BYU, Houston and Cincy. If BYU was a football only member, the Sunday schedules would be a non issue, and ND has already provided a precedent in both the Big East and the ACC for limited participation membership. http://www.frogsowar.com/2016/6/6/11860950/big-12-expansion-its-down-to-byu-houston-and-cincinnati.

Bowlsby just today indicated that expansion is still very much alive but that he does not see it dragging out past this summer. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...12-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/86717604/

While this is interesting to watch, I don't see anything that will indicate what Texas and Oklahoma truly want until the GOR comes up for renewal.

And ND has indeed set the precedent for creating discord...I say pass on anyone who wants special treatment, as we have been there, done that.

And ND has indeed set the precedent for creating discord...I say pass on anyone who wants special treatment, as we have been there, done that.
I was thinking that in this case, partial membership would cut down on problems with playing all the non-revenue sports with a no Sunday rule vs BYU. Playing BYU ONLY in football is a lot different than having ND TELL you that they WONT play football. But the idea of tailgating with Mormons doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun either!

Extension of the grant of rights should be a focus now--especially for everyone in the conference not named Texas or OU. If that were to happen then intentions are clear. If on the other hand that isn't done? Intentions aren't certain, but we know the direction people are leaning.

I agree an extended or new GOR is needed.

I am not a lawyer, but not sure a new contract would be valid unless the programs were getting something in return like an extended TV contract or BIG12 network.

While it has been widely reported there is a $45 million clause ESPN would owe the ACC should a network not be in place by July 1st, neither ESPN nor the ACC (Swafford) would commment on it. So I believe it exists, but there are no facts to back it up unless someone has access to the actual contract.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
You can't promise ANYTHING. You aren't associated with major college athletics. No one that is is trying to create 4 16 team conferences.

The BIG 12 leaves itself vulnerable with no means to close the financial gap that will soon be evident, and the continued playoff disadvantage will will hurt the conference in making the playoff.
The BIG 12s contracts run out long before the ACCs--and two conferences that have poached the BIG 12 (one of which requires BIG 12 product to prosper in the future) have contract renewals just as the BIG 12 must try to renegotiate--a renegotiation that will likely feature flat tv ratings, flat fan support, years of negative press, high likelihood of multiple misses of playoffs, no new markets, inventory or footprint.
I think you live just argue.

+
Conclusions from what I have read from links posted and interviews I have found on my own. There is still a possibility of the Big 12 expanding and an announcement this month. There will be a meeting this month and criteria for expansion has changed since a conference network is out of the picture.

Personally, I think conference networks will slowly collapse as cable companies go out of business. Streaming video and pay per view on satellite providers is the future. If the SEC and B1G network executives are smart, they will begin the transition now if contracts allow to avoid a reduction in future payouts.

What has to happen now is for the consultant to determine from ESPN and Fox if there are any available teams that would trigger a renegotiation of the broadcast contract, not simply a pro quo increase. Regardless of opinions, by any logical measurement BYU, Houston, and maybe Cincinnati are power 5 teams not in a power 5 conference. BYU would have the third largest stadium in the conference. They could go elsewhere for Olympic sport affiliations and basketball schedules can be worked out.

If the broadcasters respond with, "If you get team X and Y or even only team X, we will renegotiate your current contract provided you extend the GOR another five years" expansion will be the result. That is the ultimate deciding factor now, because that brings in more money for everyone along with the temporary bonus to existing teams as the new one(s) phase in on payouts. Otherwise expansion is a dead issue for now.

These are conclusions and opinions I have read elsewhere that I agree with. I'm not looking up the links because it would only be to someone else's predictions and opinions. Besides, most of you ignore them anyway.

If you disagree, that's fine. Everything on here is conjecture and speculation anyway. Some make more sense than others, but that doesn't make them more accurate.
Bowslby wants a decesion one way or another. July 19 meeting of the league’s Board of Directors could be the day of determination

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...12-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/86717604/

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT