ADVERTISEMENT

ACC a better fit than Big 12?

Jul 19, 2007
Southwest Florida
Mitch Vingle had a story about why the ACC might be a better fit for WVU than the Big 12. One of the factors is Notre Dame and their inclusion. Great article . . .

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...ingle-wvu-and-the-acc-football-odds-and-hoops

Personally, I would prefer the ACC due to shorter travel distances, and that these are the markets in which Dana and his staff seem to recruit the most. It also contains some of our 'ole Big East rivals.

What do my fellow Mountaineers think? ACC or Big 12?

Would have loved the ACC for a host of reasons....football, basketball, ease of travel, natural rivals etc. But, that ship has sailed and they didn't want WVU. Now want to see Big 12-2=10 become the "baddest" out there while we kick some occasional ACC member ass.

It's been 4 years since I smelled a burning couch or seen anybody throw batteries onto the field. Kinda hard to imagine you guys in the ACC.

I miss you though, and I mean that.

In the unlikely chance ND were to become a full member of the ACC, they'd probably invite UConn. NO way BC has the juice to block them. BC has fallen off the face of the earth - they are lucky to be anywhere.

My order of personal preference, putting money aside and assuming the invitations were there, would be SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big XII, PAC.

SEC has the best football atmosphere - UGA had 93,000 just at its spring game - and is geographically convenient to me (and somewhat for WVU)

ACC mainly because of geographic convenience (both for WVU and for me), and because historically many of those are the teams I grew up watching.

Big 10 because playing Ohio State, MD, PSU and Rutgers would make for great local rivalries, and be geographically convenient for WVU (although less so for me).

I like the fans in the BXII, appreciate the loyalty they've shown us and like the money for WVU's program, but Texas and the Plains just isn't my part of the world, or the teams I grew up watching. I'm pretty sure most of them are equally meh about playing us. I suppose that is just a function of time.

With all that said, we are in a good place.

Mitch Vingle had a story about why the ACC might be a better fit for WVU than the Big 12. One of the factors is Notre Dame and their inclusion. Great article . . .

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...ingle-wvu-and-the-acc-football-odds-and-hoops

Personally, I would prefer the ACC due to shorter travel distances, and that these are the markets in which Dana and his staff seem to recruit the most. It also contains some of our 'ole Big East rivals.

What do my fellow Mountaineers think? ACC or Big 12?

The ACC prides itself on its academic affiliation but the only academic affiliation that matters is the AAU and the ACC only has 4 of its 14 schools at that level. When you make a fuss over being smart but you fall short on the recognition, you are a nerd.

Who wants to be in the Nerdy version of the Big East?

For what it is worth, the Big 12 has 3 of its 10 members in the AAU and you never hear anyone talk about it because when an athletic conference - and that is what a conference is - seeks new members they do so based on athletics. The ACC as a conference has never figured this out.

Other than geography, WVU has nothing in common with the ACC.

Other than geography, WVU has everything in common with the Big12.

It is not hard to see where we belong.

Last edited:
The ACC prides itself on its academic affiliation but the only academic affiliation that matters is the AAU and the ACC only has 4 of its 14 schools at that level. When you make a fuss over being smart but you fall short on the recognition, you are a nerd.

Who wants to be in the Nerdy version of the Big East?

For what it is worth, the Big 12 has 3 of its 10 members in the AAU and you never hear anyone talk about it because when an athletic conference - and that is what a conference is - seeks new members they does based on athletics. The ACC as a conference has never figured this out.

Other than geography, WVU has nothing in common with the ACC.

Other than geography, WVU has everything in common with the Big12.

It is not hard to see where we belong.

I agree with your points, but if we were in the SEC I could actually drive to all away games. Wouldn't that be nice (for me?)

When the ACC comes knocking at the WV door................I think we should consider their offer. We should make sure the money is right. In the meantime...........let's just stay with the Big.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Not to pick a fight or anything, but most of you guys come off as disingenuous talking about being asked to join the ACC. That ship sailed some 4 years ago. It's a dead horse, guys! You're in a good place being in the Big 12. Just enjoy it for Pete's sake. I come over here about once a month or so, and there is always a new post about some WVU folks wanting to talk about leaving the Big 12 and landing in the ACC. Why keep beating this horse?

Not to pick a fight or anything, but most of you guys come off as disingenuous talking about being asked to join the ACC. That ship sailed some 4 years ago. It's a dead horse, guys! You're in a good place being in the Big 12. Just enjoy it for Pete's sake. I come over here about once a month or so, and there is always a new post about some WVU folks wanting to talk about leaving the Big 12 and landing in the ACC. Why keep beating this horse?

I totally agree. How many times do you have to be rejected until you let it go? Besides, right now it would be a pay cut!

In 2023 or so WVU will need to consider finding a spot in the ACC if it seems stable at that point, or in the SEC if they are considering expanding east and the ACC has stabilized itself.

Otherwise if the BIG 12 can continue beyond 2025 then it's a good spot.

In 2023 or so WVU will need to consider finding a spot in the ACC if it seems stable at that point, or in the SEC if they are considering expanding east and the ACC has stabilized itself.

Otherwise if the BIG 12 can continue beyond 2025 then it's a good spot.

Again, Buck. Why take a pay cut to join the ACC? WVU will receive $40 million dollars this year from the Big 12, IMG, and retained advertising.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Would have loved the ACC for a host of reasons....football, basketball, ease of travel, natural rivals etc. But, that ship has sailed and they didn't want WVU. Now want to see Big 12-2=10 become the "baddest" out there while we kick some occasional ACC member ass.
The only reason I would prefer ACC of BIG12 is the travel and natural rivals. For every thing else the BIG12 is light years ahead of the ACC

Reactions: Woody in Helvetia
Actully the ACC reached out to WVU before reaching out to UofL after Maryland left. WVU said no that ship has already sailed.

Again, Buck. Why take a pay cut to join the ACC? WVU will receive $40 million dollars this year from the Big 12, IMG, and retained advertising.

I'd take the ACC over the Big 12. ..not that you were asking me.

I'm not even saying they're the better conference (as of now...I don't think it is). Just a better fit for WVU even after you factor in the money (but it could be better or worse later) we'd be losing.

I'd take the ACC over the Big 12. ..not that you were asking me.

I'm not even saying they're the better conference (as of now...I don't think it is). Just a better fit for WVU even after you factor in the money (but it could be better or worse later) we'd be losing.

I will give you that the geographic fit would be ideal. But that isn't everything. With changing technologies I think not having a conference network is the smart thing as long as a school has an IT crew to stay on top of and take advantage of these changes. If the ACC Network falls through it may be the best thing that could happen to most of the schools there.

It is ridiculous that I can't pay Dish Network ala carte to see a WVU game or pay for streaming HD video online through either IMG or WVSports.com for every game in every sport. But I'll bet it's coming.

Which one has bigger payouts and does not contain VT, BC, sPitt, SU, and Miami?

Which one has bigger payouts and does not contain VT, BC, sPitt, SU, and Miami?

Well...very West Virginian of you. ...cutting off the nose to spite the face...

That people, good or bad, is a trait that people raised in WV tend to own.

Well...very West Virginian of you. ...cutting off the nose to spite the face...

That people, good or bad, is a trait that people raised in WV tend to own.

Really? Maybe it's more like the late John Wayne said, "Forgive your enemies, but remember the bastards' names!" Each one of those schools screwed over the Big East and WVU. First they left them behind, then repeatedly voted against letting them in the ACC. Perspective is everything.

It's been 4 years since I smelled a burning couch or seen anybody throw batteries onto the field. Kinda hard to imagine you guys in the ACC.

I miss you though, and I mean that.
Its been a week since some slutbag hooker sucked off a basketball recruit and handed him 500 donor cash while his coach spent 14 seconds in a bathroom getting his balls off. I miss you guys. I mean that. Hard to see you guys in the NCAA tourney in the near future.

Last edited:
Lol... ...we screwed over the BE (and many of the remaining schools) too.

Perspective is everything.

--------

I don't consider the ones we left behind enemies either.

Because a reporter wrote a story about it and people are discussing that article on the internet joe. Did you know we changed the speed limit to 70 in WV. Care to guess why?

It will be a choice with a disbanded BIG 12 when OU and UT move elsewhere--in 2023 count on the Pac and Big trying to make that happen before the BIG 12 can take their small unchanged footprint to the networks to try and get a new and better tv deal. Whether the ACC is in a position to add anyone at that point is another story.

I agree with your points, but if we were in the SEC I could actually drive to all away games. Wouldn't that be nice (for me?)

That is the beauty of the situation
Really? Maybe it's more like the late John Wayne said, "Forgive your enemies, but remember the bastards' names!" Each one of those schools screwed over the Big East and WVU. First they left them behind, then repeatedly voted against letting them in the ACC. Perspective is everything.

I could not agree more with this. Orlaco you need to read this careful and realize you forgot what it means to be a Mountaineer. You have gone native in Pennsylvania.

Buck, why are you arbitrarily disbanding the Big 12 several years from now when you have no idea how it will look then? Just because they have disappointed you so far this year?

Orlaco, is it not a bit disingenuous for you to refer to WVU and Mountaineer fans as 'we'? Having lived in WV at some point in your life does not make you a fan. Supporting the team and hoping for success on their part does.

. Orlaco you need to read this careful and realize you forgot what it means to be a Mountaineer. You have gone native in Pennsylvania.

Oh, I'm loyal. Maybe more than most... ...because I'm not doing it from the comfort of 'home'.

Orlaco, is it not a bit disingenuous for you to refer to WVU and Mountaineer fans as 'we'? Having lived in WV at some point in your life does not make you a fan. Supporting the team and hoping for success on their part does.

Are you suggesting I don't support and hope for success of OUR school ?

Some point of my life (laughable but whatever)? No that doesn't make me a fan. There you go... ...you figured it out... ...I love posting (and reading) daily about WVU sports because I'm not a fan.

That ship sailed more often than an Ohio riverboat.

When the original Southern Conference split happened, the new ACC wanted no part of WVU. When the recent realignment hit, the ACC wanted no part of WVU. How many times do you need to be jilted to finally figure it out: The ACC doesn't want WVU.

JoPa's conference would have been perfect, even today: Syracuse, WVU, Penn State, Rutgers, Pitt, Boston College.

Reactions: Bronco-eer
Buck, why are you arbitrarily disbanding the Big 12 several years from now when you have no idea how it will look then? Just because they have disappointed you so far this year?

The BIG 12 had needs it had to address to have future stability. Instead, they chose to not attempt to have a network (which will look really stupid and curious if the ACC launches one), they will not expand--which would have brought new markets, expanded the footprint and increased viewing of BIG 12 product, not to mention more than likely adding better recruiting and making a new competitive contract with tv partners viable.

Instead, all they have done is created a bigger problem in making the playoff with a guaranteed rematch. A 50-50 shot.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten is already getting better money in their deal for 2017, and will get another new deal in 2023. Often with new deals comes expansion in order to get more.The Pac 12 must renew in 2024 and their hope for better finances rests in Texas with UT. These line up very closely to when the BIG 12 must redo their contracts. The SEC is already $9 million per school ahead by accounts. By 2025 the commissioner and OU have stated there will be large discrepencies between the Big Ten and SEC and the BIG 12.

OU already announced that unless comprehensive changes were accomplished, they will have to consider other options in the future. UT by blocking a network and expansion has essentially announced they want no part of the conference and want to be free to do whatever come 2025 and could care less about the rest of the conference through that time.

Its naive to think that other conferences will sit still when they can benefit by shredding the BIG 12, and the BIG 12 refuses to protect itself and its membership into the future.

The BIG 12 had needs it had to address to have future stability. Instead, they chose to not attempt to have a network (which will look really stupid and curious if the ACC launches one), they will not expand--which would have brought new markets, expanded the footprint and increased viewing of BIG 12 product, not to mention more than likely adding better recruiting and making a new competitive contract with tv partners viable.

Instead, all they have done is created a bigger problem in making the playoff with a guaranteed rematch. A 50-50 shot.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten is already getting better money in their deal for 2017, and will get another new deal in 2023. Often with new deals comes expansion in order to get more.The Pac 12 must renew in 2024 and their hope for better finances rests in Texas with UT. These line up very closely to when the BIG 12 must redo their contracts. The SEC is already $9 million per school ahead by accounts. By 2025 the commissioner and OU have stated there will be large discrepencies between the Big Ten and SEC and the BIG 12.

OU already announced that unless comprehensive changes were accomplished, they will have to consider other options in the future. UT by blocking a network and expansion has essentially announced they want no part of the conference and want to be free to do whatever come 2025 and could care less about the rest of the conference through that time.

Its naive to think that other conferences will sit still when they can benefit by shredding the BIG 12, and the BIG 12 refuses to protect itself and its membership into the future.

Sometimes I think you're a rational poster... ...and then you make posts like the one I quoted.

My guess is that you're simply trying to defend previous posts by making claims that will take ten years or so to verify.

Work on your game.

Oh, I'm loyal. Maybe more than most... ...because I'm not doing it from the comfort of 'home'.

Some point of my life (laughable but whatever)? No that doesn't make me a fan. There you go... ...you figured it out... ...I love posting (and reading) daily about WVU sports because I'm not a fan.

Orlaco, there are several on here who spew nothing but negatives and gloom for WVU as well as the Big 12 Conference on a daily basis. You are not like a few I could name but why give the trolls recognition or acknowledgement? You do tend to ride that fence.

Do you call praising and defending the ACC and bashing the Big 12 being a WVU fan? And just because President Clements and A D Luck grabbed that lifeline that was extended by the Big 12 that makes them the same as the schools who destroyed a successful Big East? Unless one looks closely, the blue and gold of Pitt could be mistaken for the old gold and blue of WVU.

Mike... ...I (usually) simply post my opinions without undue loyalty or agenda.

Sorry that doesn't make me a true WVU fan.

Mitch must be desperate for copy. You with fantasies about joining the ACC are even more delusional than those waiting for Clemson and FSU to join the Big12. Hoping for the BIG12 to blow up so you can say "I told you so" is sick. Really.

Forgetting all the rest because it is pure conjecture and speculation which is everyone's right, but you said the SEC payout is $9 million per school ahead of the Big 12 already? Can you help me find a link anywhere that says the average SEC school earned $49 million this past year? Because I've already provided links showing WVU will earn $40 million from all three tiers, the Big 12 payout and retained advertising. Expansion is not dead and Texas nor Oklahoma would regress by going to the PAC. They already saw the wisdom in that. We were not in the meetings and the year is not over.

Because a reporter wrote a story about it and people are discussing that article on the internet joe. Did you know we changed the speed limit to 70 in WV. Care to guess why?
You're hilarious in this thread.

You can rationalize your postings any way that makes you feel happy with yourself. What I am telling you is that it does not transfer to others reading your posts. It does not translate to me, you - in my opinion - are the worst kind of West Virginian. You tear down the state and its people at every opportunity because you think your birth here gives you the free pass to do so. In my book, that makes you a rat. You jumped the ship and then gleefully provide nasty commentary from the safety of your new home. You are not a Mountaineer to me. You are welcome to be whatever you want to call yourself but there are those of us that think differently and see you for what you are.

You can rationalize your postings any way that makes you feel happy with yourself. What I am telling you is that it does not transfer to others reading your posts. It does not translate to me, you - in my opinion - are the worst kind of West Virginian. You tear down the state and its people at every opportunity because you think your birth here gives you the free pass to do so. In my book, that makes you a rat. You jumped the ship and then gleefully provide nasty commentary from the safety of your new home. You are not a Mountaineer to me. You are welcome to be whatever you want to call yourself but there are those of us that think differently and see you for what you are.
I thought orlaco is from PA.

Mitch must be desperate for copy. You with fantasies about joining the ACC are even more delusional than those waiting for Clemson and FSU to join the Big12. Hoping for the BIG12 to blow up so you can say "I told you so" is sick. Really.

Mitch is just being an OLD MAN about this subject. He wants things like they used to be and not how they are. In his piece he came across as a crybaby.

Mitch is just being an OLD MAN about this subject. He wants things like they used to be and not how they are. In his piece he came across as a crybaby.
I still think four power conference are in the future. I think the transition will be more collaborative and regional.

I still think four power conference are in the future. I think the transition will be more collaborative and regional.
I think an 8 team playoff is in the future. Mega conferences destroy rivalries and create boring football. If the Big10 and the SEC ever start to suffer from the shifting parameters of how we select and pay for sports content, they are going to regret ever adding teams solely based on a population model. Fans don't give a crap about superconferences other than being able to endlessly talk sh&t.

ADVERTISEMENT