ADVERTISEMENT

Abigail Zwerner, who was shot by a 6-year-old student plans to sue the Newport News, Virginia school district...

WVU82

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001

The teacher’s attorney, Diane Toscano, said that on the day of the shooting, teacher and employees had warned administrators that the boy had a gun on him and was threatening other students.

Even though the administrators had received three different warnings, “the administration could not be bothered.”

“The shooting of Abigail Zwerner,” Toscano said. “was preventable if administrators had taken the proper steps to search the student for the firearm he brought to school in a backpack.”
The 25-year-old teacher was shot with a handgun that was owned by the boy’s mother on January 6th while she was teaching class at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News.

The family had released a statement saying that the boy has an “acute disability” and that he needed his mother of father to attend school with him every day. The day of the shooting was the first was a parent was not with him in class.

“Our heart goes out to our son’s teacher and we pray for her healing in the aftermath of such an unimaginable tragedy as she selflessly served our son and the children in the school,” the child’s family said.
The shooting had been described as intentional by the Police Chief, and Zwerner had been hospitalized for two weeks but is now recovering at her home.

The Newport News School Board is set to vote on a severance package for current superintendent George Parker III, while also voting on a new interim superintendent on Wednesday evening.

Reactions: roadtrasheer

The teacher’s attorney, Diane Toscano, said that on the day of the shooting, teacher and employees had warned administrators that the boy had a gun on him and was threatening other students.

Even though the administrators had received three different warnings, “the administration could not be bothered.”

The 25-year-old teacher was shot with a handgun that was owned by the boy’s mother on January 6th while she was teaching class at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News.

The family had released a statement saying that the boy has an “acute disability” and that he needed his mother of father to attend school with him every day. The day of the shooting was the first was a parent was not with him in class.

The shooting had been described as intentional by the Police Chief, and Zwerner had been hospitalized for two weeks but is now recovering at her home.

The Newport News School Board is set to vote on a severance package for current superintendent George Parker III, while also voting on a new interim superintendent on Wednesday evening.
All round sad situation. Trying to main school a youth that shouldn’t be there is the problem. What kid needs a parent every day to restrain them

Reactions: Eagle25427
I tried to tell everyone that things arent what they seem here but the biggest blowhards on the board already knew everything about this case hours after it happened.

Last edited:

Why a severance package for failure? Unless I'm missing something here . The kid has mental health issues and they try to ignore it for the sake of " woke " . Am I wrong? We need to understand some people are not meant to be in general population.

Reactions: Snow Sled Baby
Why a severance package for failure? Unless I'm missing something here . The kid has mental health issues and they try to ignore it for the sake of " woke " . Am I wrong? We need to understand some people are not meant to be in general population.
Yes. You are wrong.

As far as your last sentence, I couldn't agree more.

Diane's case is going to be fascinating because a large part of her case is that kid's mental condition and it won't be easy to get those records because the kid likely won't be a party to the civil claim she brings against the school system. She has a hell of strategy call to make. No way it goes to trial. It likely will be resolved without even filing the suit. Of course, the NN City Attorney is a dope so who knows.

Yes. You are wrong.

Diane's case is going to be fascinating because a large part of her case is that kid's mental condition and it won't be easy to get those records because the kid likely won't be a party to the civil claim she brings against the school system. She has a hell of strategy call to make. No way it goes to trial. It likely will be resolved without even filing the suit. Of course, the NN City Attorney is a dope so who knows.
Please explain why I'm wrong.

Please explain why I'm wrong.
It has to do with the kid's "mental health issues".

I am speculating as to the severance, but I suspect the NN school system doesn't want Parker airing the system's dirty laundry so they are going to make him as happy as they can.

It has to do with the kid's "mental health issues".

I am speculating as to the severance, but I suspect the NN school system doesn't want Parker airing the system's dirty laundry so they are going to make him as happy as they can.
Can you explain how I'm wrong. He does have issues correct?
The news media needs to be airing the schools dirty laundry and the teacher needs to air it ....

$502K severance for Parker. They made him very happy.

Yes. You are wrong.

I don't know how much of her case needs to be about the kid's mental condition as it does the school had multiple reports the day of the shooting that the kid had a gun and nobody in admin removed the kid. I think prior violent threats would be relevant too, and the kid made them. You don't need medical records to show that the kid was dangerous and nuts and the school admin knew it and did nothing. I don't know if Va has immunity for workplace injuries and what exceptions there may be if so. Or what types of political subdivision immunities may exist for the county. Those are often the trickier issues suing the state or any political sub.

I don't know how much of her case needs to be about the kid's mental condition as it does the school had multiple reports the day of the shooting that the kid had a gun and nobody in admin removed the kid. I think prior violent threats would be relevant too, and the kid made them. You don't need medical records to show that the kid was dangerous and nuts and the school admin knew it and did nothing. I don't know if Va has immunity for workplace injuries and what exceptions there may be if so. Or what types of political subdivision immunities may exist for the county. Those are often the trickier issues suing the state or any political sub.
Nope. In Virginia a 6 year old has no mens rea. Accordingly, any threat he makes cant be relied upon legally. If so, we could prosecute him. A 6 year old kid isn’t dangerous in virginia.

im not saying I agree. I think he should face a firing squad but I dont get to make that law.

Nope. In Virginia a 6 year old has no mens rea. Accordingly, any threat he makes cant be relied upon legally. If so, we could prosecute him. A 6 year old kid isn’t dangerous in virginia.

im not saying I agree. I think he should face a firing squad but I dont get to make that law.
That's interesting. My thought is if a 6 year old has a gun in school and the school knows it and doesn't disarm him and he shoots somebody then mens rea probably shouldn't matter. Even if it was a total accident. It's not about the kid it's about the adults. I don't know maybe Virginia passed a conceal carry law for toddlers i'm sure some would approve?

That's interesting. My thought is if a 6 year old has a gun in school and the school knows it and doesn't disarm him and he shoots somebody then mens rea probably shouldn't matter. Even if it was a total accident. It's not about the kid it's about the adults. I don't know maybe Virginia passed a conceal carry law for toddlers i'm sure some would approve?
with the stupidity of the gun lobby, it wouldn’t surprise me.

The school didn’t know anything. There were reports the kid had a gun. that doesn’t mean anything. There are bomb threats against schools all the time. That doesn’t mean the school knows there is a bomb. In fact more often than not there is no bomb. On second thought I can’t think of the last time a bomb was found after a report.

with the stupidity of the gun lobby, it wouldn’t surprise me.

The school didn’t know anything. There were reports the kid had a gun. that doesn’t mean anything. There are bomb threats against schools all the time. That doesn’t mean the school knows there is a bomb. In fact more often than not there is no bomb. On second thought I can’t think of the last time a bomb was found after a report.
I would think a adult would atleast check into it or did the gun lobby people restrict that ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT