ADVERTISEMENT

A post from someone who let this loss settle for 2 days..

steeleer

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2005
Dana will be here next year unless someone pays off his last 4 years. Period. Deal with it.
Dana is doubling down on Skyler Howard right now and I'm not sure exactly why. My only ideas are:
1) He has no one else (after 4 years of recruiting) that can lead a FBS offense and win a game. OR
2) He feels he has no pressure to save his job. OR
3) He feels Skyler is the guy and just had 2 bad games.

I know we have talent here. I know this team could and should be undefeated right now. The problem is coaching and developing talent.

Ron Crook isn't getting it done. Our recruiting there is better, our depth is better. The product doesn't reflect these facts.

Our defensive staff is doing a very good job and that unit is light years ahead of where we were in 2012.
I was at the game and frankly the only time I enjoyed what I was watching was when we were on defense (except for OT). That crew was just worn out by then and I can't blame them for that.

Dana is our HC and OC. He is also responsible for our OL coaching. We have Smallwood who is one of the best RBs in the B12. We have 3 excellent receivers and one more (Thompson) who is above average. We have perhaps the best punter and FG kicker tandem in college football, but still have no one as a threat to return a punt.

Lots of complaining. But at least it's not irrational or emotionally charged. We are going to get beat the next 2 weeks and I don't know if this team has the leadership at HC to come back and finish strong after this month is over. Prior years' results under Dana don't make that a promising possibility.

Dana's last year on this contract is 2018 IIRC. IMO unless he wins 10 games, the B12 and makes a run at the CFB playoffs there can be no way he stays. I don't usually place such high expectations on any HC. But his first 4 years here have created such a low bar, it will take a season like that to bring his overall performance during his tenure here in line with what is expected for someone who is paid what he is paid and the pretense under which he was hired (replacing a 9-3 guy because that wasn't "good enough".)

I agree with the Stewart decision, but if that is what is expected from our HC then be consistent with implementing that standard. Eating 3 years of contact when we are getting full B12 money won't be as hard and I'm sure we can negotiate a better number than what is in that contact.

I like SH and I enjoy his moxie.......I just wish he was a few inches taller!

Too long to read but you can't change QBs or coaches after every loss - insane to think that way. It was a good competitive game against the #16 ranked team in the country. If the QB and coach play a team this highly ranked to over time, then it is silly to be complaining even for armchair coaches. Pitt made all of those coaching changes and just about destroyed their football program. Fans aren't interested, recruits aren't interested, and the TV audience isn't interested in Pitt.

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
Too long to read but you can't change QBs or coaches after every loss - insane to think that way. It was a good competitive game against the #16 ranked team in the country. If the QB and coach play a team this highly ranked to over time, then it is silly to be complaining even for armchair coaches. Pitt made all of those coaching changes and just about destroyed their football program. Fans aren't interested, recruits aren't interested, and the TV audience isn't interested in Pitt.

But we are in year #5 and we SHOULD BE THE TEAM IN THE TOP 20!!!!!!! That's not too much to ask. In year 5, is it? At what point do we stop demanding to be a top 20 team year in year out?

Reactions: wvumountee21
You do realize that we were the favorites.....that tells you that just by being #16 doesn't make you a great team. sPitt at least had the ballz finally move on........and look, they finally hired a good coach!!!! some of you really are clueless....this is why I grouped you as defeatist Danapologists, your inferior complex shows through on almost every post

Dana will be here next year unless someone pays off his last 4 years. Period. Deal with it.
Dana is doubling down on Skyler Howard right now and I'm not sure exactly why. My only ideas are:
1) He has no one else (after 4 years of recruiting) that can lead a FBS offense and win a game. OR
This is a good way of framing it, and I only wish I knew the answer. Sure hope it's No. 3, and I saw things in the second half that made me think it might be.

Given that West Virginia is looking at the very real possibility of a long losing streak, why not give the ball to the quarterback with the most upside?

I hear what you are saying and agree with you to a degree. But can you honestly say that the offense played well this past week or two? I know he's with the players more and sees more, but I just don't see Skyler Howard being a legitimate D1 QB.

Things can turn around and I hope they do, but good gosh our O was hard to watch this past weekend. Defense coming up with stop after stop and then our O would struggle to get a first down.

It should be noted the Holgorsen extension runs only through the 2017 season, not 2018, according to all available sources.

Every GM and AD in professional and college sports is unafraid to dismiss a coach with a full year remaining on his deal, so the notion that Holgorsen is certainly here for the duration is mistaken.

He might be kept for other reasons beyond 2016 if results continue to be mediocre, but you can bet that the one season left on his contract in and of itself will not be an impediment to making a change.

Other then message board gossip, I doubt anyone is discussing Dana's contract at this time. The posters who wanted Dana fired after his 2nd year are now back for year 5 and will probably be back for year 7 and maybe even year 10. Some things never change, but at least now we are in a great conference and every game matters. Another incredible challenge this week.

I know we have talent here. I know this team could and should be undefeated right now. The problem is coaching and developing talent.

Ron Crook isn't getting it done. Our recruiting there is better, our depth is better. The product doesn't reflect these facts.

Our defensive staff is doing a very good job and that unit is light years ahead of where we were in 2012.
I was at the game and frankly the only time I enjoyed what I was watching was when we were on defense (except for OT). That crew was just worn out by then and I can't blame them for that.

Dana is our HC and OC. He is also responsible for our OL coaching. We have Smallwood who is one of the best RBs in the B12. We have 3 excellent receivers and one more (Thompson) who is above average. We have perhaps the best punter and FG kicker tandem in college football, but still have no one as a threat to return a punt.

Lots of complaining. But at least it's not irrational or emotionally charged. We are going to get beat the next 2 weeks and I don't know if this team has the leadership at HC to come back and finish strong after this month is over. Prior years' results under Dana don't make that a promising possibility.

Dana's last year on this contract is 2018 IIRC. IMO unless he wins 10 games, the B12 and makes a run at the CFB playoffs there can be no way he stays. I don't usually place such high expectations on any HC. But his first 4 years here have created such a low bar, it will take a season like that to bring his overall performance during his tenure here in line with what is expected for someone who is paid what he is paid and the pretense under which he was hired (replacing a 9-3 guy because that wasn't "good enough".)

I agree with the Stewart decision, but if that is what is expected from our HC then be consistent with implementing that standard. Eating 3 years of contact when we are getting full B12 money won't be as hard and I'm sure we can negotiate a better number than what is in that contact.
Some good points and questions here...the only thing I'll say is I don't think it will take 10 W, B12 champ, college playoff...if he's able to produce a team that can win 8 or 9 and compete in the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the Big12 this year (highly unlikely at this point), or next ,then I can see the administration being content with that...

Some good points and questions here...the only thing I'll say is I don't think it will take 10 W, B12 champ, college playoff...if he's able to produce a team that can win 8 or 9 and compete in the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the Big12 this year (highly unlikely at this point), or next ,then I can see the administration being content with that...

If he could reach your goal this year, then the heat for next year gets considerably lighter. That is a massive "if" at this point. If we don't get 8 wins (including bowl game) this year then he will be in a sauna all next season.

This is a good way of framing it, and I only wish I knew the answer. Sure hope it's No. 3, and I saw things in the second half that made me think it might be.

Given that West Virginia is looking at the very real possibility of a long losing streak, why not give the ball to the quarterback with the most upside?
Considering Crest is playing RB and WR its save to say he is not our future QB. Houston, we have a problem at this position and its time to wake up how we handle recruiting QB's

I believe DH contract only runs through 2017. Most contracts don't state the length of time the money has to be paid off in if a coach is terminated. I know East Carolina was still paying Steve Logan money in 2007 which was many years after he was fired.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
zero... UW paid pitt the buyout money as did TG...and ASU.... WVU this year has no bad losses and no good wins... the story of this season is still yet to be written
There is only one bad loss even possible on the schedule and that is Kansas. There are lots of good wins left out there, if you are an optimist. Doubt that Texas Tech or Iowa State would be considered good wins OR bad losses. TCU, Baylor, Texas and K-State would all be good wins. I think 4 more wins this year finishing 7-6 is optimistic.

1) Too long? OK.
2) That OT happened because our defense played lights out 95% of the night. Our offense didn't do anything until the second half in a home primetime night game. Dana called an awful game....esp in the 1st half.
3) Pitt ran through 3 coaches in 3 years. Not exactly the same scene here if Dana was not renewed on his contract/fired.

What the hell, I might as well weigh in.
Skyler overthrows his receivers WAY too often. He has guys who can motor, but he has to get the ball where they have even a tiny chance of catching it without being 10 feet tall.
The defense is incredible, even without Karl Joseph. 3 interceptions, safety, stops all over the place. If the offense were 75% as good as the defense, WVU would be undefeated.
O'Toole and Lambert are fantastic weapons.
It all comes down to fixing the offense for all 4 quarters, which is Dana's area of expertise. The second half offense would have won the game if it had shown up in the first half. And hanging onto the football is a must. That is killing the Mountaineers' chances in the Big 12.

It's all on Dana, as the head coach. He recruited them. He and his staff coach them.
Let's see if any improvements are made for Baylor and TCU. An 0-4 October Octopus Onslaught (and that seems more and more to be the right word) and WVU will need a nearly perfect 5-game run and a bowl game to right this ship.

The fans showed up and filled Mountaineer Field. It's way past time for the offense to show up, too.

M ighty defense throttled Georgia Southern, 44-0

O utstanding defense obliterated Liberty, 41-17

U nilaterally decimated Maryland, 45-6, on defense and offense

N oxious offense & special teams against Oklahoma, 44-24

T oo many costly mistakes against Oklahoma State in OT, 33-26. Impressive comeback from 15-point deficit.

A mbush Baylor

I mmolate TCU

N ail Texas Tech

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E viscerate Kansas

R ip open a new one for Iowa State

S kewer Kansas State

Reactions: steeleer
Skyler overthrows his receivers WAY too often. He has guys who can motor, but he has to get the ball where they have even a tiny chance of catching it without being 10 feet tall.
The defense is incredible, even without Karl Joseph. 3 interceptions, safety, stops all over the place. If the offense were 75% as good as the defense, WVU would be undefeated.
It all comes down to fixing the offense for all 4 quarters, which is Dana's area of expertise. The second half offense would have won the game if it had shown up in the first half. And hanging onto the football is a must. That is killing the Mountaineers' chances in the Big 12.

It's all on Dana, as the head coach. He recruited them. He and his staff coach them.
Let's see if any improvements are made for Baylor and TCU. An 0-4 October Octopus Onslaught (and that seems more and more to be the right word) and WVU will need a nearly perfect 5-game run and a bowl game to right this ship.

The fans showed up and filled Mountaineer Field. It's way past time for the offense to show up, too.

T oo many costly mistakes against Oklahoma State in OT, 33-26. Impressive comeback from 15-point deficit.

A mbush Baylor

I mmolate TCU

N ail Texas Tech

E viscerate Kansas

S kewer Kansas State
Great post CFE
..Glad you weighed in...

A mbush Baylor

I mmolate TCU

N ail Texas Tech

E viscerate Kansas

S kewer Kansas State

Well put. The underlined especially.

First. No idea how or why WVU was favored by 7 in that game.

Second. Last time I checked there are still 7 games left. WVU can still end up ranked higher than 20.

Let's have a rational discussion about coaching changes after this season.

Second. Last time I checked there are still 7 games left. WVU can still end up ranked higher than 20.

Let's have a rational discussion about coaching changes after this season.

WVU was favored because the betting public believed in the Eers more than you. ....plus, we really should have won that game EASILY.

Yea, we can end up ranked as a top twenty team...but you just wrote that we shouldn't even be favored to win AT HOME against another top 20 team.... ....so really, you're the one that's showing a lack of faith.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT