ADVERTISEMENT

$64K question... Why can't Dana recruit a QB?

Doesn't matter how high the caliber of the receiving corp is if you don't have someone who can get the ball to them.

Go ahead and start on Skyler if you want. The Oklahoma game was entertaining and kept me excited about our prospects for most of the game................all the way up until the last 10 minutes. Holgs was his usual self with the great hair, zee Ret Bull and pickles. The Mountaineers will win again.

Dana does not come across as a charismatic person. If you look at recruiting in general it is a typical class so far. Nothing special.

I am not putting Skylar down because he is a better athlete than I will ever be, but he def has some issues. He overthrows a lot.....it just really concerns me that we have nothing better on scholarship than him.

Dana does not come across as a charismatic person. If you look at recruiting in general it is a typical class so far. Nothing special.

While it is true that Dana doesn't come across as charismatic.................he still is able to command quite a substantial paycheck on the strength of a gruff voice, zee Ret Bull, the pickles and the 'bad hair'. Now, look at Dabo Sweeney down at Clemson ...............who happens to be a charismatic person. Heck, he can get both emotional and excited to the point of tears about his team in a post game interview. This type of charismatic person commands the home faithful and translates his show into mega bucks! Dabo is the master at theatrics and is right up there with Jimmy Swaggert. Yes, you can say college football and cash in the same sentence. Dabo is one of the highest paid shows in the college game! Warez

What a miserable little sh*t you must be in real life, lol. Trolls gonna troll!

Holgorsen admitted his play calls left a lot to be desired. Howard has a lot of talent and things going for him and is/was a good recruit.

what is up with that

Now Toiletpaper is back to asking dumb troll questions again after every loss soliciting dumb troll replies (so clever and we are all fooled again).;) Same old same old.

WVU has 4 or 5 quarterbacks on the team now and Holgerson has put several QBs in the NFL along with a few receivers. There might not be a college QB in the country who can beat Oklahoma this year in Norman, OK. Since1999, Oklahoma is 94 - 8 at home.

I'd say the offensive line play had more to do that loss than the actual QB play. Two balls hit receivers in the hands and then bounced into the defenders hands. Skyler does seem to throw high across the middle and needs a better feel for when the pocket is collapsing. One is fixable the other is god given.

I'd say the offensive line play had more to do that loss than the actual QB play. Two balls hit receivers in the hands and then bounced into the defenders hands. Skyler does seem to throw high across the middle and needs a better feel for when the pocket is collapsing. One is fixable the other is god given.

Agree, I think were being a little hard on him as well. I was wondering if those high throws over the middle are due to his height and having to throw over the lines. The outside throws have a little more arc on them so maybe there easier.

Either way it definitely seems like the over the middle throws are the ones he is having trouble with especially on the crossing patterns. The two he had were drive killers two.

By game 7 in his WVU career:

Geno Smith: 84-121(69%), 841 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs

Skyler Howard: 114-194 (59%), 1745 yards, 16 TDs, 4 INTs

Opponent - Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Maryland, LSU, UNLV, USF and Syracuse
Opponent - K State, Iowa State, Texas A&M, Georgia Southern, Liberty, Maryland and Oklahoma

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Opponent - Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Maryland, LSU, UNLV, USF and Syracuse
Opponent - K State, Iowa State, Texas A&M, Georgia Southern, Liberty, Maryland and Oklahoma

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Geno played against 3 P5 teams. One highly rated , 1 FCS team and 3 mid majors.

Skyler played 5 P5 teams, one highly ranked and 1 mid major (I believe GSU moved up recently) and 1 FCS.

I wouldn't necessarily call if apples and oranges. I will say Geno looked less rattled against LSU than Skyler did against OU.

Reactions: DubVeeTexan
Geno played against 3 P5 teams. One highly rated , 1 FCS team and 3 mid majors.

Skyler played 5 P5 teams, one highly ranked and 1 mid major (I believe GSU moved up recently) and 1 FCS.

I wouldn't necessarily call if apples and oranges. I will say Geno looked less rattled against LSU than Skyler did against OU.
He did the best he could, and that's all you can ask...that blindside hit happens to a lot of QB's..that read option for a running TD was a great play..I'm sure Howard is beating himself up enough on his own..he doesn't need any help from us.

This is not about Howard but about recruiting. Dana can not recruit pro QB's.

Thank heavens ole Bobby Bowden didn't get axed down at FSU in his first 4 years.

He did the best he could, and that's all you can ask...that blindside hit happens to a lot of QB's..that read option for a running TD was a great play..I'm sure Howard is beating himself up enough on his own..he doesn't need any help from us.
That blindside hit is not an issue for me,as you are right that happens to a lot of QB's. With that said, his continued overthrowing of his receivers is an issue. He did the same thing in last year's bowl game repeatedly.

This is not about Howard but about recruiting. Dana can not recruit pro QB's.

pretty difficult to recruit pros................... between the lack of eligibility, the NCAA violations it would cause, and the money.............. I doubt many pros are looking at going back to college to play

Now Toiletpaper is back to asking dumb troll questions again after every loss soliciting dumb troll replies (so clever and we are all fooled again).;) Same old same old.

WVU has 4 or 5 quarterbacks on the team now and Holgerson has put several QBs in the NFL along with a few receivers. There might not be a college QB in the country who can beat Oklahoma this year in Norman, OK. Since1999, Oklahoma is 94 - 8 at home.
Just how many WVU QB's has Dana put in the NFL that he recruited? I think the answer is ZERO. It is a valid question. We may have have 4 qb's on the roster right now but we know nothing about 3 of them.

Dana didn't recruit QBs until he got to Houston......... so there, OK St, and WVU....

What Dana has done well is take low-rated QBs recruited by others and turned them into pros though...

His QB recruiting at WVU has been not only higher than his past, but higher than WVU's past as well.

Dana didn't recruit QBs until he got to Houston......... so there, OK St, and WVU....

What Dana has done well is take low-rated QBs recruited by others and turned them into pros though...

His QB recruiting at WVU has been not only higher than his past, but higher than WVU's past as well.

Amen. Guys think it's done over night. WVU will never be able to reruit at will. It takes time and I think we are getting it done.

I think chugunov is the diamond in the rough we will be waiting for. I certainly think crest could be serviceable if he's needed that is. Let's just see how they do this week OSU should be the "measuring stick" that Maryland ultimately wasn't..

Its a good thing everybody here understands that recruiting at WVU is as easy as recruiting at Texas and Oklahoma schools.

People here are real smart

Again, why has the QB position been a headache after Geno Smith?

August 2010 - Jeremy Johnson
November 2010 - Barry Brunetti
August 2011 - Brian Athey
March 2013 - Chavas Rawlins
January 2014 - Ford Childress
January 2015 - Paul Millard

That's 6 different QB recruits who left WVU early since Geno Smith was signed to WVU.

The 2009 Class also ONLY featured 1 QB in Geno Smith................. had that class done the smart thing and inked a 2nd, there'd have been a 5th year senior waiting in the wings once Smith left in 2012.

The "issue"......... and I put it in "" because there isn't actually an issue............. is not recruiting

It's player retention.

To be fair the only one that was worth a damn is brunetti. Athey is or was a tight end at a d2 school, Millard was better off playing baseball, Childress is now the third string hurt for the rest of the year QB at Fresno, Rawlins is a Wr at Duquesne and Jeremy Johnson transferred to Lamar where he was never heard from again. I would certainly hope we have a player retention problem with this being the case.

To be fair the only one that was worth a damn is brunetti. Athey is or was a tight end at a d2 school, Millard was better off playing baseball, Childress is now the third string hurt for the rest of the year QB at Fresno, Rawlins is a Wr at Duquesne and Jeremy Johnson transferred to Lamar where he was never heard from again. I would certainly hope we have a player retention problem with this being the case.

"To be fair the only one that was worth a damn is brunetti"

You can't say that because none of them, other than Millard who was brought in out of necessity for depth, played more than one game for WVU healthy.

You don't know what our staff could have done if they would have stuck around. I mean, Childress had one healthy game and broke a school passing record. Then he suffered a shoulder injury so bad he had to sit out over a year............ and still got a scholarship offer to Fresno St

I would have to say that the fact that half went to lesser competition programs and didn't even remain as qb's would probably blow your "Midas touch" theory out of the water.

Secondly Childress didn't sit out for over a year he played ball at Trinity CC in Texas hoping to land at an SEC school. Third string at Fresno is hardly encouraging.

"he played ball at Trinity CC in Texas "

survey-says1.jpg

6a00d8341c697453ef0154339fbdcb970c-800wi

Childress wasn't enrolled at West Virginia in 2014 after he was suspended for the 2014 spring semester and transferred to Trinity Valley Junior College in Texas. He spent the season redshirting and helped coach quarterbacks at the school.

Childress also won the QB job at Fresno before suffering another season-ending injury

JC, CC .. Potato potAto. Also he didn't win the job. The starter got injured, the second stringer got a drunk or drinking in public. By default he started and was injured for the season.

JC, CC .. Potato potAto. Also he didn't win the job. The starter got injured, the second stringer got a drunk or drinking in public. By default he started and was injured for the season.

The difference was NOT JUCO vs Comm College, man............ HE SAT OUT BECAUSE HE WAS INJURED STILL. That is the point I made.

Also, No. Childress was subbed in before both injury and suspension happened in the previous game, as the others failed to move the ball. What did Childress do? He got 2 first downs and then rocketed one across the middle and it bounced off the receiver's face and into the hands of the DB for a pick 6. The next game, he started and played well until he was injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT