ADVERTISEMENT

12 = 4 to 10 bowls eliminated.

College Football Playoff expansion may surprisingly level the playing field, enhance the regular season​

So for the powers that be to suddenly have a thirst to triple the field to 12 -- skipping right past six- and eight-team models -- is unusually progressive.

The second biggest surprise of the expansion proposed by this CFP working group is the format, which calls for the field to be made up of the six highest-ranked conference champions and six at-large teams with the top four champions receiving byes.

One final surprise is that this format still does not guarantee a spot for champions from every Power Five conference. Indeed, had this format existed in 2020, Pac-12 champion Oregon would have missed out. In fact, the No. 25 Ducks were only the eighth-highest ranked conference champion. No. 8 Cincinnati and No. 12 Coastal Carolina would have made the field, and No. 22 San Jose State was also ranked higher than Oregon. Two Group of Five conference champions would have earned playoff spots.

Even though the 2020 season was an anomaly in every possible way, it does show how strange things can happen, and history has shown us we do not need a pandemic for strange things to happen.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Eliminating 4 to 10 of the minor bowls is a fair trade off for expanding the cfp. Most of the better players with nfl aspirations opt out of them anyway.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
You may be surprised to learn that the conference with the most teams appearing in a 12-team model over the first seven years of the CFP would not be the SEC but the Big Ten. The Big Ten would have placed 20 teams in the 12-team playoff with the SEC falling one short at 19 over the last seven years. The Big Ten is also the only conference that would have put at least two teams in the playoff in each season and has the only team that would have appeared in all seven of them. Ohio State would have received a bye in four of the seven playoffs and been seeded no lower than seventh in the other three.

Clemson and Oklahoma would be riding six-year appearance streaks with each missing the first CFP in 2014. Alabama would also have six appearances, missing in 2019. No other team would have more than four appearances.

Conference USA is the only conference that would have not yet made an appearance. It's also the only one not to have a team finish the season in the final CFP Rankings.

Conclusion: This proposed 12-team format will bring more energy to the regular season and actually help make it more relevant and interesting, not less, as the powers that be have been saying up until Thursday. We will have to wait a few months to see if it comes to fruition.

Now you have to beat 3 or 4 good teams in a row, so tougher for everybody. Can't wait to see it start, God willing I live a few more years.
Unless said teams were upset. See basketball tournament for example. Or even the NFL. Best team doesn't always win only the best on that day does.

The minor bowls will not be eliminated lol. They will become the football equivalent of basketball's NIT...where the near misses go. Too much TV money...too many coaching advantages...too many cities and states. Who the hell is going to say no to a major conferences three or four?

Only way Bowls are eliminated would be because they can't find a sponsor. 12 team CFP may give lower tier bowls a chance at better teams. Top 12 teams will take spots for 2 more bowls. Just like 4 team playoff took away spot on one more bowl.

Anyone who thinks this makes it easier for WVU is completely wrong.

Win the title like a boxer who avoids his toughest challengers? That wouldn't mean nearly as much as kicking Alabama or Clemson's asses now would it. Much tougher but worth so much more.

Eliminating a few meaningless bowl games is simply a side benefit. I like it.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Only way Bowls are eliminated would be because they can't find a sponsor. 12 team CFP may give lower tier bowls a chance at better teams. Top 12 teams will take spots for 2 more bowls. Just like 4 team playoff took away spot on one more bowl.
Spot on.

Win the title like a boxer who avoids his toughest challengers? That wouldn't mean nearly as much as kicking Alabama or Clemson's asses now would it. Much tougher but worth so much more.

Eliminating a few meaningless bowl games is simply a side benefit. I like it.
Butler eer has it right. You however couldn't be more wrong...or be more ignorant of the business of college football.

Doesn't mean smaller bowls survive. The better bowls will have better teams. There will be no more of those 5-7 and possibly 6-6 teams getting in. Bowl tie ins with P5 will most likely survive. 41 bowls are about 11 too many.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I'm not sure why they don't just give a spot to each conference champion then 6 at large bids.

If you win your conference title, you should have a chance to play for national title.

I'm not sure why they don't just give a spot to each conference champion then 6 at large bids.

If you win your conference title, you should have a chance to play for national title.
Even if you're 7-6? Pitt was 7-5 in 2018 when they played in ACC TITLE GAME. Could very easily get a conference champion with a .500 record.

Doesn't mean smaller bowls survive. The better bowls will have better teams. There will be no more of those 5-7 and possibly 6-6 teams getting in. Bowl tie ins with P5 will most likely survive. 41 bowls are about 11 too many.
41 bowls ... or 31 or 51. The number of bowls has nothing to do with CFP. In fact the CFP will add a few more games post season.

I may agree there are too many bowls. But the number depends entirely on having enough sponsors and NCAA allowing 5 & 6 W teams in bowls.

41 bowls ... or 31 or 51. The number of bowls has nothing to do with CFP. In fact the CFP will add a few more games post season.

I may agree there are too many bowls. But the number depends entirely on having enough sponsors and NCAA allowing 5 & 6 W teams in bowls.
Those bowls will lose their sponsors to the playoff games.

Even if you're 7-6? Pitt was 7-5 in 2018 when they played in ACC TITLE GAME. Could very easily get a conference champion with a .500 record.

Yep, even if your 7-6. If you win your conference you should have a chance to play for national title.

If you have 6 at large bids you will get the other top teams in anyways

Anyone who thinks this makes it easier for WVU is completely wrong.
I think it does make it more likely a program like WVU could make it to the dance(playoffs). Whether or not we take home the prom queen or not, would largely depend if we won the Big12 Championship(assuming its not a down year for the conference) and got a bye. This places a heavier weight on regular season, as it should and provides a reward for being a conference champion.

I would hope they also include a metric when determining rankings that look at strength of schedule & number of P5 opponents. SEC playing 8-9 P5s and a few cupcakes with a couple tough matchups, should be countered by not being challenged more frequently with a couple extra "bye weeks" in their schedule.

Its not just playing a few tough games, but the compounded effects of playing 10-11 P5 opponents. I think the NCAA should include a min of 10 P5 opponents in order to qualify for the playoffs. This would help make it more equitable, from an analysis & metric perspective, it would also be better for college football in general.

Who cares to watch Bama when they play buffalo in November... WVU playing 11 P5 is not commonplace, I think a perfect balance is 10 P5 opponents required to be eligible for the playoffs. This would also increase the number of games between various conferences, thereby improving the accuracy of ranking analysis.. Many positives there to consider, including more fan engagement = More Profits

Committee is not going to give up it's power. So it's always going to be political. Especially the top 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT