ADVERTISEMENT

‘His future with WVU sports is totally at an end’

oceantide83

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2005
ezgif-3-56e318bca3.gif

It must be a kick in the balls to the very few who condone Huggins actions when your most visible booster comes out against him.

I do not condone what Huggins did that ultimately cost him his job, but I’d bet there are a lot more people who would go to bat for Huggins and what he has done to positively influence their lives than Kendrick could ever hope for. His comments were embarrassing. The high road Huggins took in response was class act.

Reactions: Tim_In_Hurricane
I do not condone what Huggins did that ultimately cost him his job, but I’d bet there are a lot more people who would go to bat for Huggins and what he has done to positively influence their lives than Kendrick could ever hope for. His comments were embarrassing. The high road Huggins took in response was class act
A class act would be for Huggins to accept responsibility for his actions something he hasn't done to date.

A class act would be for Huggins to accept responsibility for his actions something he hasn't done to date.
I guess a good tar and feathering would be appropriate for some perhaps since apologizing and taking the steps he took is not good enough for some as punishment for his sins. Goodness, get over yourself.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I guess a good tar and feathering would be appropriate for some perhaps since apologizing and taking the steps he took is not good enough for some as punishment for his sins. Goodness, get over yourself.
What exactly has he apologized for? Maybe if he takes the step and admits he is wrong people would forgive. BTW KK knows him better than you so I'm sure he is in much better position to judge his character than you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUFanForever
What exactly has he apologized for? Maybe if he takes the step and admits he is wrong people would forgive. BTW KK knows him better than you so I'm sure he is in much better position to judge his character than you are.
I am not in position to judge anyone. He has apologized. Was it sincere? Perhaps not, I don’t know. Does it really matter? He’s lost his job and his fate is sealed. No reason to take cheap shots in the media and no reason for keyboard warriors to continue attacking him. He did a lot of great things for the school, the state, and for the kids that played for him. A lot more than you have and ever will I would bet.

ezgif-3-56e318bca3.gif

I'm definitely on board with the idea that Huggins tenure at WVU is over. The DUI was ugly all by itself and combined with the myriad of alcohol related issues he has had in the past showed it was becoming a liability. Combine that with the declining performance of his teams and the fact that he is 70 years old means his era is over.

All that bring said, Kendrick is acting like a pompous, self righteous prick. He, and anyone else, who thinks the radio f@g comment is the primary reason Huggins should have been fired rather than the alcohol issues can fvck right off.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
I'm definitely on board with the idea that Huggins tenure at WVU is over. The DUI was ugly all by itself and combined with the myriad of alcohol related issues he has had in the past showed it was becoming a liability. Combine that with the declining performance of his teams and the fact that he is 70 years old means his era is over.

All that bring said, Kendrick is acting like a pompous, self righteous prick. He, and anyone else, who thinks the radio f@g comment is the primary reason Huggins should have been fired rather than the alcohol issues can fvck right off.
“Declining performance of his teams”…

Fully agree. I felt like it seemed to me he was coasting in the role. More interested in life outside of basketball. We had zero high school commitments last year. I know we wanted to focus on the portal, or at least that was the excuse, but Huggins used to draw some talent in recruiting. To have zero commitments concerned me in addition to declining on court results.

“Declining performance of his teams”…

Fully agree. I felt like it seemed to me he was coasting in the role. More interested in life outside of basketball. We had zero high school commitments last year. I know we wanted to focus on the portal, or at least that was the excuse, but Huggins used to draw some talent in recruiting. To have zero commitments concerned me in addition to declining on court results.

I thought the "focus on the portal" approach was because Huggins knew he only had 1-2 years, maybe 3 at best, in him and that it wasn't enough time to bring in guys like JC, Dax, or Kevin Jones and build them up. So he was going to try to cobble together one last tournament team that might make the Sweet 16 to go out on.

"70 years old means his era is over." C'mon, man. He's just a youngster. Just ask DD down in Huntington.

I thought the "focus on the portal" approach was because Huggins knew he only had 1-2 years, maybe 3 at best, in him and that it wasn't enough time to bring in guys like JC, Dax, or Kevin Jones and build them up. So he was going to try to cobble together one last tournament team that might make the Sweet 16 to go out on.
Yeah probably so, but to not have 1 kid in high school committed. Heck we have a kid committed right now don’t we? And we don’t even have a coach.

I am not in position to judge anyone. He has apologized. Was it sincere? Perhaps not, I don’t know. Does it really matter? He’s lost his job and his fate is sealed. No reason to take cheap shots in the media and no reason for keyboard warriors to continue attacking him. He did a lot of great things for the school, the state, and for the kids that played for him. A lot more than you have and ever will I would bet.
He has never taken responsibility for his actions, so he has not sincerely apologized. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or keyboard warrior to figure that out. Maybe if Huggins had people in his life that held him accountable instead of enabling him his life would have been better. I'm glad the university's most visible booster isn't one of them.

He has never taken responsibility for his actions, so he has not sincerely apologized. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or keyboard warrior to figure that out. Maybe if Huggins had people in his life that held him accountable instead of enabling him his life would have been better. I'm glad the university's most visible booster isn't one of them.
Yes, I appreciate the good things Huggins accomplished at WVU. I wish he had gone out better. They likely would’ve named the court after him and relied on his input post retirement. Now, all that’s likely gone. I’m not dismissing his actions, but you’re right, someone should’ve stepped in earlier instead of enabling him. He needed to be held accountable. His personality is probably too much for anyone to have reasonably persuaded him to get help, but I wish someone could have. I have no doubt he loves WV and WVU. It should’ve and could’ve went much better from both WVU and Huggins. I agree with Kendrick, WVU was likely too lenient.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
"70 years old means his era is over." C'mon, man. He's just a youngster. Just ask DD down in Huntington.
So it's true? Marshall is hiring Huggins as their next basketball coach.

Screw Kendrick. He doesn't believe WVU was too lenient on the alcohol issue, but rather the f@g comment. It is why he mentions it first and gives it the most words in his statements.
Yes, too lenient. Has WVU been covering for Huggins alcoholism for years? Did it affect his coaching? Especially the last 5 years? These are valid questions. And Kendrick was right, it happened at Cincinnati and they fired him.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Yes, too lenient. Has WVU been covering for Huggins alcoholism for years? Did it affect his coaching? Especially the last 5 years? These are valid questions. And Kendrick was right, it happened at Cincinnati and they fired him.
You miss my point. Kendrick doesn't think WVU was too lenient on the alcohol issue. Or at least that is a far secondary concern for him. He thinks WVU were too lenient for Huggins' f@gs comment on the radio. And that is why he can be right and wrong at the same time. Huggins did things that had actual potential to harm others with his alcoholism and DUI, which is why I say on that alone he shouldn't have had the opportunity to continue coaching WVU. Kendrick thinks words some people might find mean on the radio is actual harm and was enough to fire him.

You miss my point. Kendrick doesn't think WVU was too lenient on the alcohol issue. Or at least that is a far secondary concern for him. He thinks WVU were too lenient for Huggins' f@gs comment on the radio. And that is why he can be right and wrong at the same time. Huggins did things that had actual potential to harm others with his alcoholism and DUI, which is why I say on that alone he shouldn't have had the opportunity to continue coaching WVU. Kendrick thinks words some people might find mean on the radio is actual harm and was enough to fire him.
Kendrick is a business man. WVU athletics is also a business that he invests in. While I’m no way supporting homosexual behavior or that lifestyle, it’s really not appropriate for the face of your program to degrade the gay community. It would be foolish to think only straight kids play college basketball. That stuff affects recruiting, donations, fan support, and the overall program image. It’s ok to think that stuff or say that behind closed doors, but not on a national radio show. And it’s debatable if Huggins was sober versus drunk on that radio show. He sounded intoxicated. We can agree to disagree, but I agree with Kendrick on this. And I don’t always agree with him on everything.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
Kendrick is a business man. WVU athletics is also a business that he invests in. While I’m no way supporting homosexual behavior or that lifestyle, it’s really not appropriate for the face of your program to degrade the gay community. It would be foolish to think only straight kids play college basketball. That stuff affects recruiting, donations, fan support, and the overall program image. It’s ok to think that stuff or say that behind closed doors, but not on a national radio show. And it’s debatable if Huggins was sober versus drunk on that radio show. He sounded intoxicated. We can agree to disagree, but I agree with Kendrick on this. And I don’t always agree with him on everything.
Definitely intoxicated during that interview, IMO.

We will have to agree to disagree. DUI has a chance for real harm. Saying f@gs on the radio has ZERO chance of causing real harm. Giving into crybully media types is why everyone is walking on eggshells and the mob of the perpetually offended has proven to be an insatiable monster that will just require more and more sacrifices the more you try to placate it.

We will have to agree to disagree. DUI has a chance for real harm. Saying f@gs on the radio has ZERO chance of causing real harm. Giving into crybully media types is why everyone is walking on eggshells and the mob of the perpetually offended has proven to be an insatiable monster that will just require more and more sacrifices the more you try to placate it.

Harm manifests itself in different forms. Using derogatory language towards the gay community might not cause any physical harm. It can cause emotional harm to the WVU students who live that lifestyle and support WVU basketball. It can cause financial harm to the university in the form of donations, reduced sponsorship, and advertisements. Ken Kendrick is a straight shooter, but you always know where he stands. There are times when he might not choose the right words to express himself, but we need him now more than ever. If Wvu is to have success in athletics in this economic environment, it will be mostly due to the work that he and others have put forth at the CRT.

Harm manifests itself in different forms. Using derogatory language towards the gay community might not cause any physical harm. It can cause emotional harm to the WVU students who live that lifestyle and support WVU basketball. It can cause financial harm to the university in the form of donations, reduced sponsorship, and advertisements. Ken Kendrick is a straight shooter, but you always know where he stands. There are times when he might not choose the right words to express himself, but we need him now more than ever. If Wvu is to have success in athletics in this economic environment, it will be mostly due to the work that he and others have put forth at the CRT.

You put qualifiers in front of harm, just like people who put qualifiers in front of violence. Real harm is physical and objective and emotional harm is a vague and very subjective. Qualifiers mean it is not real harm just like qualifiers before violence means it is not real violence and qualifiers before justice means it is not real justice. I'm not saying he should have said f@gs on the radio and it is horrible PR. I am saying the fact that saying f@gs on the radio is more of a sin to society than pounding double digit beers while driving is a gross error in priorities. Just google Huggins name or YouTube it and you will find way more time dedicated to discussing the radio incident than his DUI which is objectively the much more dangerous issue and thus the reason it is an actual CRIME and not a thought crime. Refer to my comments before about qualifiers.

Huggins messed up but they handled it in the worst way possible. Huggins single-handedly did more for WVU than any employee ever. That man raised the money for the basketball facilities on his own because it didn't fit the budget. He is a true Mountaineer. Gordon gee is far from it lol. Good Lord. WVU is a figment of what it used to be thanks Gordon gee and the woke leftist politics that the Administration has adapted. Hugs has done everything right since the incident and they have done everything wrong. If he no longer wears the WVU colors, you can't blame the man. If he becomes an ambassador for Cincinnati, you can't blame the man. If he puts WVU in the rear view, and talks about his hall of fame career in the future as a Bearcat and not a Mountaineer, you can't blame him for that.

Huggins messed up but they handled it in the worst way possible. Huggins single-handedly did more for WVU than any employee ever. That man raised the money for the basketball facilities on his own because it didn't fit the budget. He is a true Mountaineer. Gordon gee is far from it lol. Good Lord. WVU is a figment of what it used to be thanks Gordon gee and the woke leftist politics that the Administration has adapted. Hugs has done everything right since the incident and they have done everything wrong. If he no longer wears the WVU colors, you can't blame the man. If he becomes an ambassador for Cincinnati, you can't blame the man.
That’s fine if he does. His love for WV and WVU doesn’t give him a pass. That’s been the problem all along

The same people who were the most adamant to have him fired are the same people who support the homeless camps all over Morgantown and other wv towns. Why have we let them control things, including the narrative? They enable dangerous drug addicts who drain the system just like they enable Huggins. But why aren't the junkies getting fired and shamed? I find the double and triple standards to be very interesting and kind of pathetic too. It doesn't seem as if it will turn out well in the end lol.

Why are people more offended about Bob Huggins making a comment about gay catholics than they are the actual gay child molesting catholic priest that have become an epidemic of child rape? The child molesters win that battle. Shame on Huggins right? Not. The people controlling the narrative are the real problem.

The reason half the citizens of West Virginia get to go through life being enabled by the system and everyone around them to be total losers, pill heads, junkies, alcoholics, welfare junkies, etc is because they're not basketball coaches and they didn't ruin everybody's entertainment for a season. They get a pass and in fact even get rewarded, because they are insignificant to your entertainment. Huggins shit on the season though, so fk him...

That's all there is to it. There is no other explanation in a state full of the problems wv has to shame someone and run him out for a dui lol. So lame. People suck.

How? I have a hard time understanding how the people of the state with the most junkies in America can turn their back on Bob Huggins.... I think they most likely Enabled him but would like to know how.

It is not the junkies that actually pay the bills and who's eyeballs advertisers want.

I also do not understand your argument that because a non insignificant number of people engage in an activity that it changes the morality of said activity.

And as a corrolary, I do not see why you seem to think it unreasonable that the expectation for conduct is lower for jobless junkies, unskilled laborers, and even namesless tradesmen than it is for professions like Doctor, Lawyer, or NCAA basketball coach.

Must be a kick in the nuts to all of the self righteous when former players whose lives were positively influenced come to Huggins defense.
Check back in with the righteous soon. Were 1 year through probably 5-10 years of losing basketball, year 1 school record for losses, will probably be broken again next year as what little talent that stuck around for this mess leaves the program. Our Basketball alums are now disenfranchised by a program they no longer recognize, and the president who has wrecked the academic side of the school financially holds the purse strings for fixing it.

All because we couldn’t overcome a coach getting a DUI… meanwhile Chris Beard and Rick Pitino still coach.

Chris Beard and Rick Pitino were forced to leave the positions when they had trouble. Nothing is stopping Huggins to do the same.

Bad comparison.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Chris Beard and Rick Pitino were forced to leave the positions when they had trouble. Nothing is stopping Huggins to do the same.

Bad comparison.
And also, why are these fans clinging to Huggins? He isn’t irreplaceable. Trouble aside, he’s not been winning the last 5 years. WVU and Huggins both needed a change.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Must be a kick in the nuts to all of the self righteous when former players whose lives were positively influenced come to Huggins defense.

2 things can be true at once. Huggins is a great basketball coach and has plenty of redeeming qualities. Huggins also is 70 years old with a declining 3 season run behind him and an alcohol abuse problem that has caused more than 1 PR issue for WVU in the past.

Feeling comfortable enough to load a University vehicle with a cooler full of beers that you drink while driving and get yourself to 2.5x the legal limit is a pretty fvcking bad screw up. Just about any coach at any University would have been fired for that in light of already having a DUI in the past regardless of how long ago the DUI was. Doesn't mean when the smoke clears that coach can't go to a different spot like Huggins already did once. However, that kind of behavior usually burns your current employment.

Last consideration is that Bob's history and willingness to be as brazen as he was with his actions mentioned above show this is not his first rodeo driving drunk since his last DUI. It is possible there are more skeletons in both his and WVU's closet that a sports media, now suddenly highly motivated by the radio comments, could dig up. If true, that could have contributed to WVU cutting ties to save face if those were dug up or to possibly keep them from being dug up at all.

Reactions: spartansstink
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT